Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By countryfan2006
  • 1 Post By epicamends

Thread: Report: Calgary flooding could force up to 100,000 from homes (not good)

Carrie Fans Legend countryfan2006's Avatar

Report: Calgary flooding could force up to 100,000 from homes (not good)

I'm hearing that there is serious flooding going on in Calgary, Alberta Canada and Thoughts and prayers are with you guys.

Is there any Carriefans that live there?

Report: Calgary flooding could force up to 100,000 from homes

By CNN Staff
    updated 11:04 PM EDT, Thu June 20, 2013

Flood-damaged homes along the edge of Cougar Creek are pictured on Thursday in Canmore, Alberta, Canada.

(CNN) -- As many as 100,000 residents of Calgary, Canada, could face evacuation because of flooding, CNN affiliate CTV reported Thursday night.

Mandatory evacuation orders have been issued for six communities along the Elbow River, CTV said. Parts of of southern Alberta face rising floodwaters and the possibility of more rain.

Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper issued a statement, saying military assets including helicopters have been deployed to assist local emergency personnel with rescue and evacuation efforts.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with those families who have been affected by the serious flooding in Calgary and Southern Alberta," Harper said, adding that "any and all possible assistance" would be provided by the federal government.

Report: Calgary flooding could force up to 100,000 from homes - CNN.com
    Countryfan2448 likes this.

Carrie Fans Legend countryfan2006's Avatar
    Here's some of the comments:

Calgarygirl8 minutes ago I also live in Calgary. This is like a really BAD Hollywood Movie. The devastation that this storm has done is beyond belief. We are far from out of the woods yet. I am beyond scared now.

Steve Bertrand10 minutes ago I've never experienced anything like this in my life personally... I live and work in downtown Calgary. More areas just got added to the evac zones: Bridgeland, Eau Claire, East Village, China Town, and Downtown. Essentially everything along the Bow
    This is a serious, serious crisis, and the rain just won't let up. Not only that, but areas closer to the mountains will have to deal with the immediate and sudden melting of the snow on the mountains.
    Stay safe my fellow Albertans!

sandyvc25 minutes ago The entire downtown core of Calgary is flooding and under evacuation right now. Major highways in and out of the province are torn up and washed away. Military help: 2 copters and a cargo plane. The flooding is from far to the north and down to the Montana border and from the continental divide in the Rockies into the province of Saskatchewan.
    This is a semi arid area rarely subjected to great amounts of rain. The topsoil is thin on top of clay and is being torn out by creeks turned into raging rivers and rivers taking over whole towns like High River, Nanton, Canmore and suburbs. The coolest thing I saw was farmers coming in on combines to rescue people.

SitCritical27 minutes ago Add to Calgary......Canmore, Lethbridge, High River, Crowsnest Pass, Sparwood and everywhere in between.....big mess....all my friends and family in these places......stay dry.

I hope everyone is staying dry from this, so sad.

Huge Carrie Follower CrazyDreams1818's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    A friend of mine is in Canmore, where there is a state of emergency.

So worried.

Obsessed Carrie Fan Cathie Wynkoop's Avatar
    Back in Kansas.....there's no place like home!!!
    Concert Stars
    My thoughts and prayers are with all those affected by this flooding! My son and I have been to Calgary, and took pictures by this river. It was beautiful then!

My son has friends from Calgary. I do hope none of them come to any harm! God be with you!

It's absolutely crazy here right now. I've lived here for my entire life and have never seen anything like this. Pretty much all of downtown is flooded, the Calgary Stampede is in 2 weeks and all of the grounds are flooded, the zoo is flooding... Luckily my area of the city is far away from the river so we're safe (for now), but I have lots of friends who've been evacuated from their neighbourhoods. Miraculously, no deaths or injuries in the city have been reported so far. Two possible deaths in a small town south of here, which was hit even harder by this storm.

Right now I'm extra thankful for Carrie's donation to the Canadian Red Cross, because we're going to need a lot of help cleaning this up and I'm sure her donation will be a part of that.
    opry051008 likes this.

Concert Stars
    Man, definitely praying. That's totally insane.

•