Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Carrieflattsfan
  • 1 Post By AdamJ
  • 1 Post By carriecountrystar

Thread: Jodi Arias Guilty of 1st Degree Murder

Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars

Jodi Arias Guilty of 1st Degree Murder

CNN) -- After months of twists and turns in a dramatic trial rife with sex, lies and digital images, an Arizona jury Wednesday found Jodi Arias guilty of first-degree murder for killing Travis Alexander in June 2008.

Now that the jury has convicted Arias, jurors will next have to decide whether she lives or dies.

"Now the odds, I think shift somewhat in her favor, because it's a very different thing to sentence someone to die than to convict them," CNN legal analyst Jeffery Toobin said after the verdict was read on Wednesday.

In the next phase of the case, prosecutors will have a chance to present additional evidence and jurors will decide whether Alexander's death was caused in a cruel manner.
    Crowd cheers over Arias guilty verdict
    Toobin: Arias' defense was peculiar

Meanwhile, family members of Alexander are preparing to file a civil wrongful death lawsuit, attorney Jay Beckstead told reporters outside the courthouse.

Jury finds Jodi Arias guilty of first-degree murder - CNN.com

Concert Stars
    This was just a very strange trial. Her attorneys made her look all sweet and demure. The photos I saw of her in the trial were so different than the story the prosecution was protraying of her. I don't think they will go with the death penalty.

Ultimate Carrie Fan bigbluegrl23's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by liz278 View Post
    This was just a very strange trial. Her attorneys made her look all sweet and demure. The photos I saw of her in the trial were so different than the story the prosecution was protraying of her. I don't think they will go with the death penalty.
    If she's a sociopath (which who knos if she is) then she can convince you easily that she's very sweet. A different type of person stabbed that man 20 some odd times tho.
    Becca

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by liz278 View Post
    The defenses entire case was built around the fact that Jodi was a demur, delicate woman who was abused by her demeaning, sexually aggressive boyfriend. They knew exactly how they wanted to portray her in the front of the jury, and they played every single card in the deck, including dying her hair and having her wear glasses to make her look dowdy.

If she had gone in front of that jury as the beautiful, bombshell blonde who was seen in those photos, the jurors would not have looked at her the same way. Every card her defense team used was carefully played to make her look like the sweet innocent victim, and it was no accident.

The defense made Travis out to be a jealous boyfriend obsessed with sex, but yet Jodi was the one who stalked him, slashed his tires, sent threatening emails to his girlfriend, etc. A few of his former girlfriends testified and said he was never abusive towards them.

It sounds to me like both Jodi and Travis had their share of issues, but Jodi's defense team trashed Travis' name and practically made him out to be a sexual predator, while Jodi sat there and lied her way through the trial and portrayed herself as the victim. Jodi said "mark my words, no jury will convict me." There are interviews of her that basically prove she's a pathological liar, and she treats the thought of her own trial as some sick joke. When she was arrested, she said she smiled in her mugshot, because she "knew she was innocent" and that Travis would've done the same thing. Disgusting. She's an arrogant sociopath who thought her lies would never catch up with her.
    AdamJ likes this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Carrieflattsfan--I could not have said it better. I watched some of the court procedures on HLN late at night and I think she was the girlfriend from hell. Man, she had the nerve to lie to the jury. It is obvious that she has mental problems. It will surprise me if the jury gives her the death penalty----but anything can happen. The defense case was based upon her version of things and she lied from the beginning of being arrested. Not at all surprised at the guilty verdict.
    Carrieflattsfan likes this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan Schrodinger's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Her only defense was to ply on one junior's feelings - it takes one to hang. In a case like this that is the only reason to put the defendant on the stand.The sentencing phase will be a whole new trial. I just hope they don't give the death penalty. I'm flat out opposed to it. If you worked in the system you have to know how inequitable the it is. Courts are courts of law not justice. It is not a deterrent, it is more expensive to execute someone than keep them in prison for life and it's irreversible. The only reason is retribution and the state should have no part in retributive killing. When states like Florida and Texas execute persons with IQs just above 60 or children it's nothing less than state sponsored murder.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Schrodinger View Post
    Her only defense was to ply on one junior's feelings - it takes one to hang. In a case like this that is the only reason to put the defendant on the stand.The sentencing phase will be a whole new trial. I just hope they don't give the death penalty. I'm flat out opposed to it. If you worked in the system you have to know how inequitable the it is. Courts are courts of law not justice. It is not a deterrent, it is more expensive to execute someone than keep them in prison for life and it's irreversible. The only reason is retribution and the state should have no part in retributive killing. When states like Florida and Texas execute persons with IQs just above 60 or children it's nothing less than state sponsored murder.
    I believe in the death penalty in certain cases, but according to Jodi's statement to the media, that's exactly what she wants.

I say give her what she didn't want; she didn't give Travis a choice of how he wanted to die.

Of course she could be using reverse psychology to try and sway the jury.

I think she should get life in prison, but I wouldn't be surprised if she receives death because of the brutality of the crime and the level of manipulation Jodi has shown throughout the trial. What kind of sick person calls the cell phone of someone they've just stabbed and shot to leave a message?

Concert Stars
    In the state of California, it takes years and years of appeals before a person can even have a "death" date. It cost more $ to house a prisoner on death row than it does to sentence them to life in prison. So, even if you believe in the death penalty, the cost for us as tax payers makes it hard to support it. And for Jodi I agree, sentence her to life in prison.

Ultimate Carrie Fan bigbluegrl23's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrieflattsfan View Post
    I believe in the death penalty in certain cases, but according to Jodi's statement to the media, that's exactly what she wants.

I say give her what she didn't want; she didn't give Travis a choice of how he wanted to die.

Of course she could be using reverse psychology to try and sway the jury.

I think she should get life in prison, but I wouldn't be surprised if she receives death because of the brutality of the crime and the level of manipulation Jodi has shown throughout the trial. What kind of sick person calls the cell phone of someone they've just stabbed and shot to leave a message?
    no one wants to die. and no convicted felon gives a press release as soon as she/he is convicted. it's reverse psychology. the people give her life in prison as a "punishment" when thats really what she wants.
    Becca

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbluegrl23 View Post
    no one wants to die. and no convicted felon gives a press release as soon as she/he is convicted. it's reverse psychology. the people give her life in prison as a "punishment" when thats really what she wants

Becca

I stated that in my post. lol.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/09/justic...html?hpt=hp_c2

The joke's on her, though, because jurors aren't supposed to be reading/watching anything about the case anyway.

It's kinda sickening that her defense team would allow her to give a statement like that to save her ass and theirs; she already looks like a crazy bat.

Concert Stars
    Jurors deliberate: Should Jodi Arias die? - CNN.com

Jodi changed her tune again; what a shocker.

Insane Carrie Fan
    Jodi Arias Feels 'Betrayed' By Jury, Waffles on Apology - Yahoo!

She stabbed, shot, and slit her boyfriend's neck. How dare the jury convict her. And she can't even paint in prison? Poor girl.
    Carrieflattsfan likes this.

Concert Stars

•