Post Gay teens tortured to death in straight camp

Three Gay Teens Die From Torture At South Africa Camp, Echo Wild Game Rangers, Promising To 'Make Men' Of Them

By Susmita Baral, Apr 30, 2013 04:42 PM EDT

• n
    • [COLOR=#333333 !important]Share[/COLOR][COLOR=#04558B !important]1[/COLOR]
    • Text Size

(PHOTO CREDIT: gaystarnews) Raymond Buys in the hospital after being tortured in camp.

Three gay teens have died after being tortured and starved at a camp that promised to turn the boys from "effeminate" to "men".
    Raymond Buys, 15, was sent to Echo Wild Game Rangers in South Africa ten weeks ago in perfect health. Ten weeks later, he was hospitalized with malnourishment, dehydration, a broken arm, and burns and wounds all over his body. He was in intensive care for four weeks and then died.
    In light of his death, camp owner Alex De Koker, 49, and employee Michael Erasmus, 20, are on trial for murder, child abuse, neglect and two cases of assault. Eramus is reportedly a member of white supremacist Eugene Terreblanche's Iron Guards movement. Both De Koker and Erasmus have pleaded not guilty.

Testimony at the Vereeniging District Court began last week, and a 19-year-old boy, Gerhard Oostuizen, who shared a tent with Buys testified to the deceased teen's torture. Oostuizen told the court Busy was beaten with planks, hosepipes and sticks when he could not carry out manual labor tasks. What's more, he even claims to have seen De Koker cover Buys head with a pillowcase, tie him to a chair naked, and electrocute him with a stun gun. On one occasion, Buys was forced to consume his own feces and after spilling some detergent, he was forced to consume what he spilled.
    "I sent my son on this course to make him a better man, to give him a better future," his mother Wilma Buys said to The Daily Telegraph. "I trusted Alex de Koker with his life."
    According to the The Telegraph, Buys' mother sent her son to the camp because he was struggling in school and was diagnosed with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. Her friend recommended the course and after meeting with De Koker, he promised he could help her son find a job in the wildlife trade.
    Once her son joined the camp, she was only allowed to speak with him on speaker phone on a handful of occasions and was told by De Koker that her son was harming himself.
    "Raymond was only allowed to speak to me on speakerphone," she said. "When I asked him why he was hurting himself, he told me 'Mum, I'm not doing it to myself'."
    The death of Buys' was the third amongst the children who attended the camp, which cost around $2,400; the other two victims were 18-year-old Eric Calitz and 19-year-old Nicolaas Van Der Walt. And according to gender activist Melanie Nathan, all three young boys who died were all deemed to be "gay and clearly effeminate".
    Nathan writes, "The idea of the camp is to apparently make men of teens and to 'cure feminine traits' in male youths..." another way of saying gay reparative therapy, Instead in this instance, that therapy involved "beating the gay out of the kid" -- torture and if torture didn't affect the desired change, then certainly murder would; after all a dead teen is not a gay teen.
    Calitz reportedly asked to leave the camp and was told by De Koker that he would make a man out of him [Calitz]. Calitz's family was told of his death via text message, which said he died of a heart attack. Doctors later found that the cause of death was, in fact, a seizure, dehydration, and that there was bleeding in his brain.
    Van Der Walt's death was also labeled as a heart attack by the camp, but the doctors found conflicting evidence suggesting that he was choked with a seat belt.

Three Gay Teens Die From Torture At South Africa Camp, Echo Wild Game Rangers, Promising To 'Make Men' Of Them : News : The Latin Times