Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By AdamJ
  • 1 Post By Mirasa45A
  • 1 Post By carebear4eva

Thread: Couple killed second child with prayers

Post Couple killed second child with prayers

Second Child Death for Convicted Faith-Healing Couple | NBC 10 Philadelphia

A couple that was sentenced to probation after their 2-year-old died in 2009 from pneumonia have had another child die.
    Herbert and Catherine Schaible, fundamentalist Christians who believe in the power of prayer ahead of modern medicine, recently had their 8-month-old son die, according to Philadelphia Police spokeswoman Jillian Russell.
    It wasn’t clear when the child died, or the cause of death, but the death hasn't been ruled suspicious, Russell said.
    The child was taken to a funeral home by an as yet unknown individual and the undertaker alerted police, Russell said.
    An official cause of death is pending an autopsy, according to police.
    RELATED STORIES

In 2010, a jury convicted the Schaibles, who have seven other children, of involuntary manslaughter and child endangerment in the death of their 2-year-old son Kent. The Schaibles were each sentenced to 10 years of probation -- they could have faced prison time.
    As part of their sentence, the Schaibles were required to arrange medical examinations for each of their children, to immediately consult with a doctor when a child became sick and to follow the doctor’s treatment recommendations.
    During their trial, the Schaibles' lawyers said the parents were targeted because their fundamentalist Christian beliefs espouse faith healing.
    Pennsylvania law says parents have a legal duty to protect their children's health and safety, although the law does not specify if or when medical care must be sought.
    Prosecutors said the Kent could have been saved with basic medical care -- probably even over-the-counter medication -- but the couple relied on prayer instead. Defense attorneys argued that their clients did not know how sick the child was, and their beliefs played no role in their decision.
    When asked for comment outside his Rhawnhurst home Friday, Herbert Schaible, 44, told NBC10’s Chris Cato “we don’t want to talk.”

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    As a future child/infant surgeon I am committing myself to save and preserve life and I know for a fact that if that were my child I would try everything on earth to save his/her life. While I commend these folks for their devotion to God I honestly do not believe the God I love would want me to sit by and see my child die and not try to get some help. This is such a sad, sad story---and to think it happened to one of their other children.
    Carrieflattsfan likes this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    These people are "fundamentalist Christian" in the same vain as some IED-strapped Jihadist is a "Islamic extremist", where I am equating fundamentalist with extremist. There is nothing fundamental about these 2 "parents" in terms of being fundamentally grounded in Christ (so as to be called Christian, a follower of Christ). They would be hard pressed to come up with Scriptural passages to defend their decision to solely have prayer be the means by which their child would be healed.

Carrie Guru
    anything to the extreme is not good.
    carebear4eva likes this.

just another fan

Quote Originally Posted by Pi314CA View Post
    These people are "fundamentalist Christian" in the same vain as some IED-strapped Jihadist is a "Islamic extremist", where I am equating fundamentalist with extremist. There is nothing fundamental about these 2 "parents" in terms of being fundamentally grounded in Christ (so as to be called Christian, a follower of Christ). They would be hard pressed to come up with Scriptural passages to defend their decision to solely have prayer be the means by which their child would be healed.
    anyone knows why sometimes the word "fundamental" is used to describe religious practitioners when "extreme" or "radical" just seem to be better descriptions?

Quote Originally Posted by Mirasa45A View Post
    anything to the extreme is not good.
    Mirasa45A likes this.

I should think if they are being really fundamental about their faith, they should invite priests to come over to expel the devil out of their children, which is honestly just as bad, but still. These two were obviously just really silly.

But this is not by any means an isolated incident. I have been a supporter of Doctors Without Borders, and in their latest newsletter it talks about a child in Africa who died because his family took him to church before taking him to the hospital.

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    Just to be clear about Christians and Catholics, the leaders of Christian churches are pastors, elders and deacons. The Catholics have "fathers" and priests. Sometimes, the term "Christian" is used way too loosely. This couple believes in some bible passages so as to claim that God can heal using only prayer. But really, Christians should strive to obey the "whole counsel of God" encompassed by all 66 books of the Bible.

Oxford Dictionary
    priest

Pronunciation: /priːst/
    Definition of priest
    noun

• 1an ordained minister of the Catholic, Orthodox, or Anglican Church, authorized to perform certain rites and administer certain sacraments:

And the Anglican Church, for example, is a Christian church.

---

Also just to be clear, the word 'Christian' originates from Greek, meaning 'followers of Christ'. So unless one would like to re-write linguistic history, or express ignorance of the English language, 'Christians' include Catholics and the like, and everyone who follows Jesus Christ.

•