View Poll Results: What will be single 4 from CP?

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • Drinking Alone

50 70.42%
  • The Bullet

6 8.45%
  • Low

8 11.27%
  • Ghost on the Stereo

7 9.86%
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Like Tree289Likes

Thread: 4th Single from Cry Pretty?

Insane Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by maddkat View Post
    ^ that again is just a matter of opinion. To some it's probably the best song on the cd , not the weakest.
    So could we refrain from making blanket statements about what songs are worthy and just keep to what songs we like and would want?
    Thanks guys , just trying to make the thread comfortable for everyone.
    All I said was it seems a lot think it is weak. That is not a blanket statement, it is an observation. I've seen far more people unhappy at the prospect of EUWY as a single, than not. Also, simply offering an explanation to why people are not happy with EUWY, if it is the single.

Insane Carrie Fan countrymusicfan15's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Well it’s the 3rd most streamed song from Cry Pretty on Spotify, only behind Southbound and The Champion. Pretty impressive for an album track!

Even though Southbound wasn't one of my favourites for a single choice, I still admire Carrie for picking that song. Admittedly, the themes are the same as bro country songs but I have always felt like that was kind of the point. Since the start of this era, Carrie has been very vocal about how she doesn't like guys singing about girls and reinforcing stereotypes in their songs. And when telling about writing Southbound, she has said a couple of times that she wanted to take care and not show the girl like they show her in songs by men. By releasing the song, I see her trying to stand amongst the men and beating them at their own game, though in a better way. I believe this is the first "party" song by a female, at least the first that has topped the charts. So in that, I like what it stands for and represents.

I don't mind EUWY being a single. But maybe being the last single if we're getting five.

Huge Carrie Follower carriethequeen's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    ^ that again is just a matter of opinion. To some it's probably the best song on the cd , not the weakest.
    So could we refrain from making blanket statements about what songs are worthy and just keep to what songs we like and would want?
    You saying Ghosts On The Stereo "wouldn't be a good choice at all" and is "slow and a bit boring" made me very uncomfortable... Okay it didn't lol but let people express their opinions just as you have and not suggest what people can and can't say please :)

But just logging in to say I STRONGLY feel EUWY would be a poor choice as a county radio single. It's a cute pop song, and it has almost 11 million streams on Spotify, so clearly there's an audience that likes it. It should have been released to pop and HAC radio months ago!!! That being said, I think we're having this discussion for no reason and it won't be the 4th single, but only time will tell. Drinking Alone/Low/Ghosts are all better songs lyrically, vocally, and musically IMO. And if we're sending pop songs to country radio, hello Backsliding! My favorite pop track from the album.
    adam1995, Smokyiiis, hjj and 2 others like this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by carriethequeen View Post
    You saying Ghosts On The Stereo "wouldn't be a good choice at all" and is "slow and a bit boring" made me very uncomfortable... Okay it didn't lol but let people express their opinions just as you have and not suggest what people can and can't say please

But just logging in to say I STRONGLY feel EUWY would be a poor choice as a county radio single. It's a cute pop song, and it has almost 11 million streams on Spotify, so clearly there's an audience that likes it. It should have been released to pop and HAC radio months ago!!! That being said, I think we're having this discussion for no reason and it won't be the 4th single, but only time will tell. Drinking Alone/Low/Ghosts are all better songs lyrically, vocally, and musically IMO. And if we're sending pop songs to country radio, hello Backsliding! My favorite pop track from the album.
    at zero point did I stop anyone form expressing their opinion.
    You have a problem with my moderating PM me. Be happy to discuss it.
    txacar likes this.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Someone posted on pulse that the highway announced “Backsliding” as her new single. I know they’re known for playing album tracks, but the fact they referred to it as a single has me intrigued. Take it with a grain of salt, but if it’s true I’ll be ecstatic.
    txacar and CU4ever like this.

Quote Originally Posted by countrymusicfan15 View Post
    Well it’s the 3rd most streamed song from Cry Pretty on Spotify, only behind Southbound and The Champion. Pretty impressive for an album track!
    Because it was released as a promotional single...the lyric video also has over 2 million views on YouTube again only because it was released as a promotional single.

Drinking alone has the most views on youtube for album tracks...I think that is proof it should be the next single

Junior Carrie Follower
    End Up With You is on Spotify’s Women of Country Playlist. All the other songs on there appear to be official singles, so I’m not sure if that’s any indication
    txacar likes this.

The downgrade from Drinking Alone vs Low to now End up with you vs Backsliding... lol
    adam1995, txacar and Smokyiiis like this.

Insane Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by simonplay View Post
    The downgrade from Drinking Alone vs Low to now End up with you vs Backsliding... lol
    Haha! True.
    txacar and jaymiee like this.

Like I said previously, Carrie is just perplexing us this era. Hahaha! So many confusing indications. I love this.
    txacar likes this.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach1998 View Post
    Someone posted on pulse that the highway announced “Backsliding” as her new single. I know they’re known for playing album tracks, but the fact they referred to it as a single has me intrigued. Take it with a grain of salt, but if it’s true I’ll be ecstatic.
    Carrie does introduce it on her tour before she starts singing as it being one of her favorites so who knows it could be true?! At this point I guess we’ve got to wait and see and “soon” all will be revealed bahaha
    txacar likes this.

Insane Carrie Fan countrymusicfan15's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    So now we’ve had DA in a concert promo video, EUWY on some Utah station, Backsliding on The Highway, and Low on The Late Show. I think the label is testing each song lol based on reaction so far I’d say Low is winning

Thank you. I love EUWY and gotta repeat 2 or 3 times everytime I listen the whole album.
    LilUnderwood likes this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Yes, I get the feeling they may be trying out reactions to different songs.

My own view - the album begins with three of its best songs (all three of which I'd rate as outstanding in Carrie's career progression). I'll always be proud of her for starting the era with "Cry Pretty" (which in many ways encapsulates for me what I see as Carrie's trademark mix of tradition and progression), I'd be very happy to see "Low" as the next single. I also love "Ghosts" (I don't mind at all that it's slower in tempo - I prefer introspective songs. But I do take the point that it's less likely to be released as a radio single)
    After those three, my next personal highlights are 8 and 9 - "the Bullet" and "Spinning Bottles" - both of which, again, I think lift Carrie's work to a new level. I don't necessarily share the fear that some have expressed that the Bullet would be seen as as a divisive political song. Allen Shamblin doesn't shirk socially aware messages - but he keeps the overt political aspect muted, behind widely relatable and emotional lyrical development. The song remains neutral on whether "hate" or "guns" should be blamed, and the main theme is the long lasting effect of tragedy on those who are left. I think this is rather more likely as a possible single than "Spinning Bottles" - though both are great songs, and, in my view, would raise Carrie's artistic reputation.

Those are my five album highlights - one of which has already been a single, and "Low" being probably the strongest bet from the other four.

(I'd also give a special mention to "Kingdom", which is a highly personal song, well developed, with a great build up - but Carrie has a tradition of ending albums (effectively, in this case, as the Champion is more of a previously issued bonus) with a "special" song, that doesn't get used as a single - and I don't think she's likely to break that trend this time)

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach1998 View Post

PLEASE BE TRUE!!! I may be in the minority, but I absolutely adore This song! I also think it would do decently

Junior Carrie Follower
    Quote Originally Posted by CU4ever View Post
    PLEASE BE TRUE!!! I may be in the minority, but I absolutely adore This song! I also think it would do decently
    I’m right there with you, I love Backsliding! I think it would sound great on radio!
    CU4ever likes this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Turning to the two that are currently under renewed discussion as potential next singles, they would not have been ones I was expecting - and neither of them would have been among my album highlights. They both make substantial use of steel guitar (more experimentally in EUWY, and more traditionally in Backsliding). Also, both involve Hilary Lindsey (with Carrie on B, with other writers on EUWY). On reflection, neither seems as surprising as a potential release as I first would have thought.

I found it interesting that B makes an (almost) direct lyrical reference to Gretchen Peters' "Independence Day" ("Word gets around in a small town") - which Carrie sang some 14 years ago. Overall, I think it is the better song lyrically - and is also the more traditionally played. For both reasons, it may be thought to be a safer bet for radio (though I think either would be played).

I've watched both songs live, though, from the same concert, and I prefer Carrie's performance on EUWY (even if that is not directly relevant to radio). In performing B, she prefers a more static approach, drawing on some of her longstanding strengths. Basically it's all done from the microphone stand, building up to power delivery. It goes down well with the audience - but it is a pretty familiar stage approach. On EUWY she tries more varied and innovative techniques - and I admire that willingness to try to something new and defy expectations.

Junior Carrie Follower
    Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post
    Yes, I get the feeling they may be trying out reactions to different songs.

My own view - the album begins with three of its best songs (all three of which I'd rate as outstanding in Carrie's career progression). I'll always be proud of her for starting the era with "Cry Pretty" (which in many ways encapsulates for me what I see as Carrie's trademark mix of tradition and progression), I'd be very happy to see "Low" as the next single. I also love "Ghosts" (I don't mind at all that it's slower in tempo - I prefer introspective songs. But I do take the point that it's less likely to be released as a radio single)
    After those three, my next personal highlights are 8 and 9 - "the Bullet" and "Spinning Bottles" - both of which, again, I think lift Carrie's work to a new level. I don't necessarily share the fear that some have expressed that the Bullet would be seen as as a divisive political song. Allen Shamblin doesn't shirk socially aware messages - but he keeps the overt political aspect muted, behind widely relatable and emotional lyrical development. The song remains neutral on whether "hate" or "guns" should be blamed, and the main theme is the long lasting effect of tragedy on those who are left. I think this is rather more likely as a possible single than "Spinning Bottles" - though both are great songs, and, in my view, would raise Carrie's artistic reputation.

Those are my five album highlights - one of which has already been a single, and "Low" being probably the strongest bet from the other four.

(I'd also give a special mention to "Kingdom", which is a highly personal song, well developed, with a great build up - but Carrie has a tradition of ending albums (effectively, in this case, as the Champion is more of a previously issued bonus) with a "special" song, that doesn't get used as a single - and I don't think she's likely to break that trend this time)
    Haha I was roasted on here a few months back for suggesting Kingdom as a possible single choice! I love it, but I can understand why people are against it. I just think it would be nice to hear another song where the lyrics speak to her personal life, like Cry Pretty. It’s a side we don’t get to see very often

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by CU4ever View Post
    someone on twitter said she left it out of the setlist tonight so I think that lowers the chances its single 4.

•  
    Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast