Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree665Likes

Thread: Cry Pretty Music Video

Junior Carrie Follower FanSince04's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyAboutCarrie View Post
    Loved it. How I missed her videos. She is singing Cyr Pretty next week on American Idol. She will also be the mentor! Wow, here we go!! Stream, stream, stream.
    Holy smokes this is great news! Carrie is truly bringing it. I love the video so much because itís simple enough that the message of the song shines through clearly. Yes, her singing to a crowd isnít my favorite part, but the video is much better than any ST videos.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by FanSince04 View Post
    Holy smokes this is great news! Carrie is truly bringing it. I love the video so much because it’s simple enough that the message of the song shines through clearly. Yes, her singing to a crowd isn’t my favorite part, but the video is much better than any ST videos.
    I thought Smoke Break was a great video....
    _luvqry, mooret, Hil and 3 others like this.

Huge Carrie Follower
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by rcramer View Post
    Me too!

Junior Carrie Follower
    I thought it was great!!! I like to look at things as half full rather than half empty. WE have a new song, we have a video and she's going to sing on American Idol. Everything we've all been wishing for. Enjoy it!!
    mooret, mofan, liz278 and 5 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by rcramer View Post
    I thought it didnít have a point. It just was Carrie hitching a ride to a small bar joint and performing. It just didnít do it for me. I usually like all her videos, but Heartbeat didnít seem to have a point either. Church Bells and Didty Laundry just seemed to be filler videos. These are just my opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by kdprouty View Post
    I thought it was great!!! I like to look at things as half full rather than half empty. WE have a new song, we have a video and she's going to sing on American Idol. Everything we've all been wishing for. Enjoy it!!
    Agreed!

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    I agree with FanSince04, the clubland scene is definitely a nod to Before He Cheats (I don't know Nashville, so I can't say if it's filmed in Printers Alley, where the first one was - but it must have been intended to give a similar retrospective vibe)

The pink sunglasses may be a nod to Miranda Lambert's song (they have seemed to make visual references to each other's work in three or four of their recent videos). The point about those glasses in the song was that they're not only a device to protect your emotions - they're also mythical, in the sense that even if you lose them, it's still possible to conjure up a metaphorical pair to hide behind.

I really like the contrast between the glitz and glamour that's required on stage, no matter how it really feels - and the letting go at home. That is something that I expect many in the genre - especially women - feel. And it brings out the pressure of sustaining a "personality image" on tour and in showcases. I think the Mainstream, in particular, needs this portrayal, as it thrives on artificiality. Carrie's private persona shots focus on aspects of the reality behind the glitz.

I like the emphasis on the band in some shots - again, that isn't always the case in Mainstream videos. And I applaud her for not going for elaborate extra story line elements - something that I think would have distracted from the emphasis on emotion.

I'd rate this one of her best

It's a good video, not my favorite. Hopefully the best is yet to come with her next single.
    oldyfan likes this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by FanSince04 View Post
    I thought it didnít have a point. It just was Carrie hitching a ride to a small bar joint and performing. It just didnít do it for me. I usually like all her videos, but Heartbeat didnít seem to have a point either. Church Bells and Didty Laundry just seemed to be filler videos. These are just my opinions.
    wait you thought SB didn't have a point but CP does? emoji52.png

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post
    I agree with FanSince04, the clubland scene is definitely a nod to Before He Cheats (I don't know Nashville, so I can't say if it's filmed in Printers Alley, where the first one was - but it must have been intended to give a similar retrospective vibe)

The pink sunglasses may be a nod to Miranda Lambert's song (they have seemed to make visual references to each other's work in three or four of their recent videos). The point about those glasses in the song was that they're not only a device to protect your emotions - they're also mythical, in the sense that even if you lose them, it's still possible to conjure up a metaphorical pair to hide behind.

I really like the contrast between the glitz and glamour that's required on stage, no matter how it really feels - and the letting go at home. That is something that I expect many in the genre - especially women - feel. And it brings out the pressure of sustaining a "personality image" on tour and in showcases. I think the Mainstream, in particular, needs this portrayal, as it thrives on artificiality. Carrie's private persona shots focus on aspects of the reality behind the glitz.

I like the emphasis on the band in some shots - again, that isn't always the case in Mainstream videos. And I applaud her for not going for elaborate extra story line elements - something that I think would have distracted from the emphasis on emotion.

Wow! I really like your thorough run through of the video. Although, I havenít picked up on the references between Miranda and Carrieís videos. Would you mind pointing them out?
    oldyfan and Farawayhills like this.

Huge Carrie Follower MSCarriefan's Avatar
    I liked the video overall. I think it fit the song almost leaving the question up to interpretation in everyone's head...why is she crying?

Quote Originally Posted by maddkat View Post
    wait you thought SB didn't have a point but CP does? emoji52.png
    Absolutely. The whole point of CP is about letting yourself feel the emotion that comes over you instead of faking it. The entire video portrays a character (assuming this isnít how Carrie really sees herself since she doesnít typically wear that type of clothing, except the outfit on stage) doing an amazing job performing for the audience, but falling apart in the limo, hotel, and feeling isolated in the streets hiding behind sunglasses and over the top outfits. SB just seemed like a free spirited video budiling up to a performance. I simply didnít feel it went with the song. As always this is my opinion. You are welcome to share why you disagree 🤔
    oldyfan likes this.

Source: https://www.rollingstone.com/country...-video-w519867

A great review of the video!

Concert Stars
    I guess I am in the minority right now, but I really liked the video. And I liked Farawayhills comments, agree with everything you said.
    mooret, Suellen, kdprouty and 5 others like this.

Huge Carrie Follower carriethequeen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Burst View Post
    She looks great but the video is a little dull. Videos that rely heavily on the artist singing live to a crowd often lack substance.
    I think they could've added a little more story but the imagery with the shower scene/where she has a drink are great.
    I agree 100%. I also found it odd they added screaming fans over the big notes at the end. It just seems to clash with the message of the song. Overall I would say this video is good, not great.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KUUjtUP2CrE

Keep it up guys! We are over 30K views and counting. Letís get it over 500K by morning and 1M in 24hrs. Letís keep the momentum on CP going!

Quote Originally Posted by liz278 View Post
    I guess I am in the minority right now, but I really liked the video. And I liked Farawayhills comments, agree with everything you said.
    Iím right there with you! The few. The proud. The fans who liked CPís mv 😉

Huge Carrie Follower
    Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post

Very well said! The comments on youtube are nothing but positive. Love reading all of them. I love the video and song.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Not her best video but the still photo at 39-40 seconds makes the video worthwhile! Smokes!!!!!
    oldyfan and jaks_weyn like this.

Huge Carrie Follower
    Quote Originally Posted by liz278 View Post
    if you read the comments under the video, you are not in the minority. I love the video too.

•  
    Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast