Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Farawayhills

Thread: Cover version of Cry Pretty already available in Germany

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar

Cover version of Cry Pretty already available in Germany

https://www.amazon.de/Cry-Pretty/dp/B07CQV8V27/

Such versions are usually legal (once a song is published, anyone can take out a compulsory performance licence, for a small registration fee - a system designed to prevent large record companies monopolizing material). I'm not sure about the artist's use of the name Carrie, though - bands do sometimes sue over the use of names, but that may be a grey area, as it's only one part of the name - in any case, I doubt if it would be pursued.

It shows that interest is strong, in a market that Carrie has not yet personally penetrated. I don't know if this cover artist already has a fan base, but she's presumably aiming at contemporary fans who follow international music trends. Carrie's own version, of course, is also available there. In my opinion, she should definitely try a Continental tour soon. This is potentially the largest Continental market - Country demand there has a long history, I think much of which has tended to lean to Traditional styles and Country Rock.
    txacar, Smokyiiis and rainbow1 like this.

I find it so peculiar why an artist would intertwine hers and Carrie's name that way. Sure because it will bump her search hits when anyone searches for Carrie's version but no one will remember this cover singer post this song having her wrong name there...weird. But still quite cool the international market is showing to know her enough to cover it.

Artist: Jennifer Carrie
    Song: Cry Pretty (feat. Macy Underwood)

sco
    Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Triquetral View Post
    I find it so peculiar why an artist would intertwine hers and Carrie's name that way. Sure because it will bump her search hits when anyone searches for Carrie's version but no one will remember this cover singer post this song having her wrong name there...weird. But still quite cool the international market is showing to know her enough to cover it.

Artist: Jennifer Carrie
    Song: Cry Pretty (feat. Macy Underwood)
    Iím not sure how I feel about that. It seems an attemp to hijack searches for the original by including both first and last name albeit seperately and may be challenged by UMG. The cover versions have to pay royalties to the songwriters but thereís nothing stopping them from recording and selling a cover. Its just the name that is suspect to me.

•