Page 88 of 516 FirstFirst ... 3878868788899098138188 ... LastLast
Results 1,741 to 1,760 of 10313
Like Tree36128Likes

Thread: Carrie Underwood 6 - Cry Pretty Era

Insane Carrie Fan
    If we can get the first single to the top of iTunes for as long and get great streaming with a video, hopefully out the same day as the single and a monster radio debut, she'd debut high on the Hot 100.

Junior Carrie Follower
    It’s official, people missed “pop Carrie.” The Fighter and The Champion has done better than the entire catalogue of singles from Storyteller.

Obsessed Carrie Fan MSCarriefan's Avatar
    I feel like Carrie's biggest hits are always pop leaning or Christian leaning. Those types of songs were not really on Storyteller. The mass audience connects to the BHC, JTTW, SITW, BA, and The Champion which all fall into one of the two categories. I feel like her new album will be more of these instead of continuing the style of Storyteller. I though expect some more heartbreak or emotional songs and inspiring judging from the year she had in the blog post.

Concert Stars
    I just read that the script for the sequel of Enchanted is finished. It mentioned that Carrie sang in the first one. They said that now they just have to get the music written. Wouldn't it be great if they asked Carrie to write or sing one again!

Quote Originally Posted by fallen14 View Post
    It’s official, people missed “pop Carrie.” The Fighter and The Champion has done better than the entire catalogue of singles from Storyteller.
    Not sure if the latter is true (correct me if I am wrong?) but I do agree. It seems apparent fans missed the pop side to Carrie with a twang of country. I'm all for it woo! Semi hope the next CD leans to a pop side but still veins with country all the way.
    rainbow1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Carrieslegs84 View Post
    I’ve learned a lot about myself in the past few months & I realized that I just need to stop making such a big deal out of everything because life is just too short to worry about trivial things like this!!I actually have embraced the Champion because I truly do love the song & I’ve already downloaded the song & I can quickly see that this is going be an anthem for everyone in life,not just in sports!!Its quickly becoming my workout jam as well!!I had a feeling that this song was going to be used for the Olympics because it fits right in with the event & the athletes competing to be the best in their sports!!I’m just going to sit back and enjoy the ride & let The Champion take its course!!
    Good for you but your words are not following your actions. Please stop bickering every post in The Champion thread when people wish or desire things that you don't agree.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbow1 View Post
    I just read that the script for the sequel of Enchanted is finished. It mentioned that Carrie sang in the first one. They said that now they just have to get the music written. Wouldn't it be great if they asked Carrie to write or sing one again!
    That would be amazing! I want Carrie in the movie too even fir a small part!
    ethelu, txacar, rainbow1 and 2 others like this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    As the question of a possible Pop album direction has arisen, I'd like to give some general thoughts on that topic.

There has been speculation - e.g, in this "Newsweek" article;
    Carrie Underwood?s New Song: ?The Champion? Features Ludacris and Puzzles Some of Country Music Singer?s Fans
    - which contains the paragraph
    "Most surprising for Underwood fans, though, is that “The Champion” is completely stripped of (the) 34-year-old’s signature country sound. (Her southern twang is still intact, though.) This has caused some speculation about Underwood’s future: Could she be planning to use her talents to move into a more pop-heavy direction, following in the footsteps of country music star-turned-global megastar Taylor Swift?"

That speculation is unsourced, but probably reflects some random social media comments. In that connection, it's worth remembering that Carrie's fan base includes significant numbers who are either Pop, or general music, oriented in their listening tastes, or who give a high priority to Carrie's reception being as "huge" as possible (in fact, those categories often correlate) - and they may be the ones more likely to post, or support, that speculation. (Fans who are more core Country-oriented in their tastes are probably less likely to speculate along those lines, and probably more likely to see “The Champion” as a one-off event, and not particularly relevant to the new album). Hence it's difficult to say how widespread the feeling in the Newsweek article might be in the fan base. In any case, it's worth stressing that any such speculation is "unofficial" - as far as I know, it hasn't been suggested by anything specific said by Carrie, or by her management or label teams.

If we do want to speculate in that vein, it struck me as possible to interpret one passage of "the Champion" (which she was involved in as a writer) as a metaphor, hinting at an artist's own view of their work (though that is not my view of the passage):
    "When they write my story
    They're gonna say that I did it for the glory
    But don't think that I did it for the fame, yeah
    I did it for the love of the game, yeah
    And this is my chance I'm taking
    All them old records I'm breaking"

As far as Carrie is concerned, a radical shift towards Pop would actually run counter to what she's said hitherto on many occasions. People can, of course, change their minds (though I don't feel that an artist coming into her mid thirties, with a strong Country format identity, frequently emphasized, e.g by the Opry membership and the recurrent CMA hosting, as well as by numerous interviews, is particularly well placed for "full on" recognition as a Pop artist).

The label is a slightly different proposition - mainly because Cindy Mabe has been strongly involved in the careers of many of the male format stars who have moved very close to Pop, stylistically, in recent years; and because UMG have a more noticeable tendency than Sony, historically, to present their fewer female stars, abroad, as Pop singers. They did this with Shania Twain (whose "Green" or Country mix was not even sold abroad, and difficult to obtain except as "bootleg" imports), and with Taylor Swift (whose early Country image, from the internet, low profile concert appearances here, and Big Machine publicity, was quickly dropped when Universal took over her international distribution). They arguably took a similar approach with Lady Antebellum, presented with a female lead.
    But I would be cautious about extending these precedents to Carrie - who, I would argue, has a stronger Country identity than those artists anyway, and has always stressed that on her visits here. To me, it's always seemed that Carrie has maintained a degree of distance from artists like Twain, Swift and Faith Hill, who had strong Pop leanings, rarely mentioning them. The artists she appears to admire more were either less Pop format focused, like Martina McBride, or, when they had successful Pop exposure, like Dolly Parton, still maintained and stressed their Country origin and identity. (Also, the male Country artists she most admires, such as Randy Travis, Brad Paisley and Alan Jackson, although very successful, always kept a strong middle ground Country identity).

We shouldn't forget that Cindy Mabe was involved in Carrie's early career, in A & R at Sony, and was influential on the very successful hybrid album "Some Hearts". Carrie's comments, though, have stressed that that album served a particular purpose - and gaining acceptance in Country was her main goal. The Pop half of SH produced only one (mandatory) single, and most of the Pop leaning songs were not emphasized in later performance. If Cindy Mabe was either unable, or did not intend, to steer Carrie into Pop at that (propitious) time, I don't see it as likely now - and I would have thought that the issue of future identity would have been explored in Carrie's recent contract negotiations, with the emphasis leaning to her own choice.

One thing that struck me about "The Champion" - notwithstanding it's very off-format sound and style - is that Carrie chose familiar co-writers with a reputation in Country (Brett James, in particular, is prominent in Nashville publishing circles). Many artists "going Pop" do choose Pop writers - but I think Carrie's choice may have signaled a reassurance to Music Row that she still intends to be "format friendly".

In my view, "Play On" was probably the most Pop-leaning of Carrie's mature albums so far - and yet that included significant Country influence. Her treatment of the song, Q, from Swedish Pop gurus Martin and Shellback contains more Country touches in the arrangement than the songs of any of the other women who were tempted in that direction; and SDWISLY ranks as one of her "Countriest" songs to date (and was also called her album favourite). So I agree with those who've said that her new album is likely to contain a mixture of styles (as they always have). I don't see a likelihood of either a change of format, or a radical shift in the position she's built up of going for a variety of meaningful songs, which stylistically show links to Nashville Country tradition (which has always absorbed Pop influence, and - in the case of its leading females - power vocals), and hold a middle ground between the two broad stylistic styles currently being accepted in the format

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by teesharky View Post
    That would be amazing! I want Carrie in the movie too even fir a small part!
    that would be so cool! and I too would love her to sing the end song again.
    Of course I still want her to voice a Disney princess most. She's such a perfect fit.

as far as the new cd era is concerned I really want good videos. ST's videos were so lackluster.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    I thought the Smoke Break video was good. I liked it!!! Plus, I can cut her some slack because of the amazing, amazing Storyteller tour she gave us!!!
    Carrieslegs84, lizcarlo and ethelu like this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan

Quote Originally Posted by DaisyTweets View Post
    I thought the Smoke Break video was good. I liked it!!!
    I loved that video,too,Daisy!!I think it was probably the only video of the song from Storyteller itself that had a video that was a big budget video & told the story of the lyrics in the song that matched the video & song more closely than any of the other songs from the album that were released as singles.The other videos just didn’t didn’t do justice to how big & epic the videos that could’ve been done for those songs.Smoke Break was the video that came the closest to matching the lyrics of the songs to the video itself!!Can’t wait to see what the videos are like for the new era of Carrie’s music!!

I've talked about the "Smoke Break" video before - and I can't get over how many Country references it included - some of them references that specifically took Carrie in the direction of the more Alternative leaning side of the contemporary format. I'd mention the Joshua Tree, with its association with Gram Parsons (who challenged the more sugary stereotypes of the Nashville Sound, and found echoes in both Keith of the Rolling Stones, and more recently, U2); the truck driving episode; Carrie's clothes, suggesting a somewhat more "Outlaw" image; the lone walk, carrying her guitar case; the use of female figures to portray traditional Country characters, horse wrangler, welder, truck driver (at least suggesting a dig at radio preoccupations, and a sympathy with a more critical side of the genre, in which women artists are especially prominent today); the small bar or club location of the closing performance.

"Smoke Break" may not have been Carrie's "Countriest" song in itself (though it certainly leant Country) - but I think the video was indeed Carrie's "Countriest" yet. And both song and video contained messages that I think she herself wanted to get across.

Insane Carrie Fan
    Personally, the "Smoke Break" video seemed rather standard for a country video. It wasn't to the standard of the "Blown Away" videos. I agree with Donna, I hope the videos are big budget, and with this team, I bet they will be!
    maddkat, Hil and Carrieslegs84 like this.

My personal view of videos in general is that I tend to dislike ones that stray too far from the song, and (in some cases) actually introduce elements that contradict it (The One Black Cadillac, for example - which weakened the central motif that the women arrive separately, not acknowledging their guilty association - and more importantly, the cop-out ending, which contradicted the theme that it was a matter-of-fact, but ultimately unjustifiable murder ballad.) Some, of course, would argue that the Pop culture reference to a well known horror novel was more striking. But Carrie had written a Southern Gothic story of human failings - and that got rather lost. In cases like that, I much prefer the album track to the video.
    txacar and rainbow1 like this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    So, who's thinking that with Carrie just announced as a headliner for the WEFest in August - we're getting a new album by summer!!!!!!! So, less than 7 months to new Carrie music, IMHO!
    MSCarriefan, Hil, ethelu and 1 others like this.
    "Thank you for that ‘Captain Obvious’ sense of humor because you know what, we not only hit the high notes, you forgot to mention we generally hit the ‘right’ notes as well."
    -Kelly Clarkson to Scott Borchetta about American Idol artists
    Thanks so much Danielle!

Hil
    Quote Originally Posted by Kizmet311 View Post
    So, who's thinking that with Carrie just announced as a headliner for the WEFest in August - we're getting a new album by summer!!!!!!! So, less than 7 months to new Carrie music, IMHO!
    Definitely could be. Has she headlined before without a new album?

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Kizmet311 View Post
    Well that was announced back in October, so not sure its a sign of anything. But sure hoping it might be.:-)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by maddkat View Post
    Well that was announced back in October, so not sure its a sign of anything. But sure hoping it might be.:-)
    Oh whoops, lol! I just saw it again on Twitter and I think her Facebook page, so I thought it was new! Still, hopefully if she's planning to start doing festivals next summer it means she hopes to have new music by then. I'm also hoping it means the summer festivals might be a precursor to a fall tour!
    rainbow1 likes this.
    "Thank you for that ‘Captain Obvious’ sense of humor because you know what, we not only hit the high notes, you forgot to mention we generally hit the ‘right’ notes as well."
    Thanks so much Danielle!

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Hil View Post
    Definitely could be. Has she headlined before without a new album?
    I'm honestly not sure.
    Hil likes this.
    Thanks so much Danielle!

Insane Carrie Fan
    I'd say by summer is a safe bet. My guess is June*.

*Full disclosure, this is based on...nothing. It is 100% speculation.

•