Page 64 of 515 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674114164 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,280 of 10281
Like Tree36075Likes

Thread: Carrie Underwood 6 - Cry Pretty Era

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    ^^^^ my sentiments exactly...... And I hope it is on the line of JTTW and SITW..... I kind of read the lyrics that way too.....
    Carrieslegs84 likes this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan

Quote Originally Posted by teesharky View Post
    I wasn't upset with you at all-- no worries. I was just annoyed with the NFL for passing up Carrie again. I think Carrie can sing with anyone. If I am mad at anyone- it's the NFL for not seeing what a HUGE star Carrie is, and blowing off country music again.
    It seems that the NFL wanted to give JT a second chance after what happened the last time he performed so the chose him to perform again & prove that won’t happen again this time around.They wanted someone with a lot of buzz,hype & star power at the moment,so they chose Justin knowing how much buzz & conversation there would be with him this time around,hoping he doesn’t make that mistake again.Yes,I would’ve LOVED for Carrie to perform the halftime show,but apparently she didn’t have enough hype,buzz or star power(which we ALL know she has in spades),for them to choose her to do the show.He appeals to basically everyone watching,including families,& his music covers a wide variety of genres & styles.For them,if they would’ve chosen someone from country music,there would’ve been so much backlash because people think that country doesn’t sound like country music anymore & that it’s all pop & rap music & not everyone likes country music as much we would like to think it does.Everyone knows who JT is outside of music because his resume is so diverse & wide ranging.There is a range of people who know who Carrie is,but not all of them like her or her music & not everyone listens to country music as we are under the illusion that everyone does.Yes,I do agree that Carrie is a HUGE talent,but there are probably certain groups of people who don’t know who Carrie is outside of country music & probably don’t care to know who she is at all.In my opinion,there are just some sectors of demographics & ages that don’t like what Carrie wears,some of her song topics or how she sings.We just don’t have any control of how that works,as much as we want it to.

Insane Carrie Fan
    I did not interpret the lyrics from "Paint" as spiritual (maybe that's because I hope they are not), but they are rather general. Those few words could really talk about anything. I think it could be attached to spiritual if someone wanted to do that, but I think it will be one of those songs that can mold into any situation, however anyone needs to interpret it. I like her faith-based songs, don't get me wrong, but I want something different.

Obsessed Carrie Fan

Quote Originally Posted by adam1995 View Post
    I did not interpret the lyrics from "Paint" as spiritual (maybe that's because I hope they are not), but they are rather general. Those few words could really talk about anything. I think it could be attached to spiritual if someone wanted to do that, but I think it will be one of those songs that can mold into any situation, however anyone needs to interpret it. I like her faith-based songs, don't get me wrong, but I want something different.
    That may not be the way you interpreted them, but that's the way I interpreted them because of my own faith background growing up in the church and having a dad as a pastor my entire life.Yes,people could interpret the song anyway they wanted because how they see it, but I choose to believe it as a spiritual song.To me,I can't just leave my faith out of everything,because its how I live my daily life and how the rest of my family chooses to live theirs and it guides my decisions in what to take for my college classes, what music I listen to, what I wear each day and how to conduct myself in social and public settings and I assume that's how Carrie herself lives her daily and very public life being in the public eye like she is. At this point in her career, surface songs are all and fine, but she's done those before to great success but that's only a very small part of who Carrie is as a wife, mother,singer,songwriter,philanthropist and clothing designer.Her faith based songs give a much more wider view into who Carrie is as a person, a singer, a wife, a Christian, a songwriter and a clothing designer that encompasses every aspect of who she is and not just some small snippet.Why couldn't a faith based song be her first single from a new label?Nobody said she had to choose between topics to sing about on her first single from a new label.I think at this point in her varied and storied career that she could release a faith based song as her first single and not worry about any backlash she might get from it.In my own opinion, that is a risk to me that's well worth taking.She has sung about almost every song topic under the sun, so I don't know what your something different is that you want her to sing about.I know that this is all speculation, but if you think about it,Carrie's faith is ever present in every song that she releases whether its faith based or not or whether its just a fun song, so you can't really escape it no matter how hard you try.It's just never going to happen no matter how you try to avoid it.Just my two cents on a topic that's really close to my own heart.

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    And isn't that the making of a GREAT song -- that it meets and speaks to everyone wherever they need it to be?

Obsessed Carrie Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Kizmet311 View Post
    There's no denying that no country artist does faith in songs better than Carrie. SITW was a much bigger hit than anything on ST (don't get me wrong, I love ST, it's my favorite album). She just excels at those kind of songs, because you know that she is 100% relating to the lyrics.
    When you live a song, you believe it because its your own faith journey being mirrored in those lyrics.That's one of the many reasons that I connected with Carrie when I first did,because she grew up in the church like I did and lets their own faith in God guide all of the decisions in their lives no matter how big or small they are.When she sings about faith in her songs,you believe her because she herself lives that life day in and day out no matter what the world says or what people think about you for doing that.Her faith journey inspires mine because its the same journey that I'm on no matter how different our lives are and it makes me realize that we aren't perfect,we're just trying to live our lives in a completely countercultural way than what the world tells us to.I just have no room in my life for songs or people that don't live their walk and talk their talk as my dad would say because those words are empty and meaningless and are devoid of meaning if that person isn't living those lyrics in a faith based song that they're singing about.Carrie lives,breathes her walk with God and it shows in the way she treats people,how she conducts herself at awards shows that might be completely devoid of any talk about God,the people she surrounds herself with,the way she dresses and how she chooses to be modest when people are leaving nothing to the imagination on the red carpet,how she talks about people in her own life,her positive outlook and who she chooses to work with.THAT is a person I would rather look up to as a role model than some of these so called fake celebrities who have to flash their wealth every chance they get and talk about how great they are when they're really not.Her walk is honest,real and open because she chooses to live her life that way and doesn't try to hide anything because she has nothing to really hide in her own life.She is my role model for my own faith journey because she's not afraid to live it even when the world tells her to do something different and be like everyone else.I wish I was so bold to live my life that way because she's not afraid of the backlash she gets when she wants to be open about her faith in God!!I wish I could be more like her in my own life!!In a whole world full of Kardashians and fake people like that, the world needs more people like Carrie who choose to be real when the rest of the world isn't!!
    Smokyiiis likes this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kizmet311 View Post
    See, I don't think that the lyrics suggest a romantic relationship at all. I took it as more of the person (or maybe her soul) being broken and her wanting to be brand new would fit right in with a Christian, born again theme. It does mention "heart all cracked up", but again, it doesn't have to be about a romantic relationship. I could be completely wrong, but those lyrics didn't scream breakup song to me. I'm not as "religious" about it now (pun intended), but I used to be very active in church and one of my favorite books was the "Ragamuffin Gospel". I could see a song with lyrics like we were given for Paint dealing with something like that.
    You could be right - an opening line often says little about how a full song develops. I did read that brief snippet as suggesting a broken relationship, but it's perfectly possible that a later stanza ties the person's broken heart into a spiritual redemption. (Do we know, by the way, whether Carrie was one of the writers of "Paint"?

For comparison, the song I know best that takes the theme you're suggesting is Julie Miller's "Broken Things". Much of the lyric can be read either way - but if you know Julie's personal faith, you get a strong idea of the main meaning she's intending:

Concert Stars
    ^Maybe it's the new "Who Are You." I listened to that song dozens of times trying to decide if she was singing to Mike or to God. Couldn't decide if it was a love song or christian song.

Not specifically Christian - it was written by Mutt Lange, who is a follower of the Sant Mathi school of Hinduism. The lyrics strongly recall that faith's central theme of the search for God, who transcends all things and whose nature can't be fully expressed in human terms. However, they also teach that all faiths express aspects of God in the light of their own beliefs - and if Carrie did interpret the message in terms of her own Christian faith, that would convey the message the song probably intended. I certainly saw the main message in the song as spiritual, and I would guess that Carrie did too. But as we're saying, songs can often be experienced by the listener on more than one level of meaning.

Insane Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by DaisyTweets View Post
    And isn't that the making of a GREAT song -- that it meets and speaks to everyone wherever they need it to be?
    Exactly! Hoping this is the make up of it...great!

Insane Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrieslegs84 View Post
    That may not be the way you interpreted them, but that's the way I interpreted them because of my own faith background growing up in the church and having a dad as a pastor my entire life.Yes,people could interpret the song anyway they wanted because how they see it, but I choose to believe it as a spiritual song.To me,I can't just leave my faith out of everything,because its how I live my daily life and how the rest of my family chooses to live theirs and it guides my decisions in what to take for my college classes, what music I listen to, what I wear each day and how to conduct myself in social and public settings and I assume that's how Carrie herself lives her daily and very public life being in the public eye like she is. At this point in her career, surface songs are all and fine, but she's done those before to great success but that's only a very small part of who Carrie is as a wife, mother,singer,songwriter,philanthropist and clothing designer.Her faith based songs give a much more wider view into who Carrie is as a person, a singer, a wife, a Christian, a songwriter and a clothing designer that encompasses every aspect of who she is and not just some small snippet.Why couldn't a faith based song be her first single from a new label?Nobody said she had to choose between topics to sing about on her first single from a new label.I think at this point in her varied and storied career that she could release a faith based song as her first single and not worry about any backlash she might get from it.In my own opinion, that is a risk to me that's well worth taking.She has sung about almost every song topic under the sun, so I don't know what your something different is that you want her to sing about.I know that this is all speculation, but if you think about it,Carrie's faith is ever present in every song that she releases whether its faith based or not or whether its just a fun song, so you can't really escape it no matter how hard you try.It's just never going to happen no matter how you try to avoid it.Just my two cents on a topic that's really close to my own heart.
    That's fine and all that you like the faith based songs, like I said I do too. I don't think anybody said that she couldn't release a faith song as the first single, but she's already done that twice (SH and GH1), in fact her first song ever was faith based, which was a far more risky venture than releasing one now. I just want something different than faith based, at least not overtly faith oriented.

And I will disagree that her faith is on display in every song, I don't hear much Godliness in "Before He Cheats", "Choctaw County Affair", "Undo It", and the list goes on...lol!
    Last edited by adam1995; 10-25-2017 at 06:48 AM.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post
    If what Steve mentioned on the Pulse board is at all representative of the song as a whole, it appears to use a new paint job as a metaphor for someone dealing with heartache - so on that basis I'd be expecting a broken relationship song, rather than one that's particularly religious in theme.
    The only suggestion I've seen of a possible religious connection is the stained glass windows in the studio - but I wouldn't read too much into that. It's a building that once was a church - as indeed was the Ryman , and other places converted into music venues, because of their size and acoustic qualities. But it's long been a secular recording studio, and is used for all sorts of songs.
    Agree. I took it as either an inspirational song about pushing through hard times, or a breakup type song. I did not see it as a religious lyric at all, but perhaps inspirational.
    oldyfan likes this.

Concert Stars
    That's fine and all that you like the faith based songs, like I said I do too. I don't think anybody said that she couldn't release a faith song as the first single, but she's already done that twice (SH and GH1), in fact her first song ever was faith based, which was a far more risky venture than releasing one now. I just want something different than faith based, at least not overtly faith oriented.

And I will disagree that her faith is on display in ever song, I don't hear much Godliness in "Before He Cheats", "Choctaw County Affair", "Undo It", and the list goes on...lol!
    Lol, Last Name, TBC, CB!!

Concert Stars

And I will disagree that her faith is on display in ever song, I don't hear much Godliness in "Before He Cheats", "Choctaw County Affair", "Undo It", and the list goes on...lol!
    Agree. I love her faith based songs very much. They are beautiful and inspiring. And I am proud of her for releasing them.

But to me- a lead single has to appeal to EVERYONE to be a commercial success. So I kind of want her to save a faith based song for later in the album run-- not the lead single. The lead single has to carry the album sales and promote the album to the masses, not just people of Faith. So from a purely business perspective, I think an inspirational type song is fine, but not overtly religious as that can turn people off and it would hurt sales.

JTTW was an exception as was SITW. Both sold well and were big hits. I adore both songs, and am so proud of Carrie for releasing them. But I think this era should kick off with a song that appeals to everyone- and does not scream religious but is perhaps inspirational or has an indirect faith element in it. Just not sooooo religious as to turn people off that are not into that type of song. I just want it to be a huge success commercially so that the album sells well. After the first few singles, a faith based song would be lovely.

Yes - "done me wrong" songs are a key topic in Country Music, and Carrie can handle them like few others. Probably the most menacing is "Songs Like This", which opens with the lines:
    "Wanna find some boy, rip his heart right out
    First man I see, gonna take him down
    It ain't the Christian thing to do, they say
    But someone, somewhere's gotta pay"

It was never an official single, but it did gain some spontaneous radio play. I consider it a great example of Carrie's Country Rock style. (It was co-written by Jerry Flowers - Keith Urban's long time musical partner, from right back when they were in The Ranch together. He and Carrie have worked together on several studio productions). In the context of this discussion, I see it as a good example of how Carrie doesn't let one side of her persona take over her musical work - she can get into character as each song requires it. One thing I hope is that the new team support her in exploring the deeper range of material she includes on her albums and don't try to stereotype her singles into a particular vocal or musical style.
    txacar, teesharky, Gator and 6 others like this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by teesharky View Post
    Agree. I love her faith based songs very much. They are beautiful and inspiring. And I am proud of her for releasing them.

But to me- a lead single has to appeal to EVERYONE to be a commercial success. So I kind of want her to save a faith based song for later in the album run-- not the lead single. The lead single has to carry the album sales and promote the album to the masses, not just people of Faith. So from a purely business perspective, I think an inspirational type song is fine, but not overtly religious as that can turn people off and it would hurt sales.

JTTW was an exception as was SITW. Both sold well and were big hits. I adore both songs, and am so proud of Carrie for releasing them. But I think this era should kick off with a song that appeals to everyone- and does not scream religious but is perhaps inspirational or has an indirect faith element in it. Just not sooooo religious as to turn people off that are not into that type of song. I just want it to be a huge success commercially so that the album sells well. After the first few singles, a faith based song would be lovely.

And what label would not want to get that same return with this new CD..... Myself personally, I do feel that UMG (Cindy Mabe) will most likely channel the CD with more of a commercial success approach, whether it be lead single or not..... The lead single does still need to have the same affect that both JTTW and SITW did...... So if Paint is it, hopefully the song speaks to a wider audience and still captures the attention of both her big hits mentioned.....
    teesharky likes this.

pgk
    Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by rcramer View Post
    And what label would not want to get that same return with this new CD..... Myself personally, I do feel that UMG (Cindy Mabe) will most likely channel the CD with more of a commercial success approach, whether it be lead single or not..... The lead single does still need to have the same affect that both JTTW and SITW did...... So if Paint is it, hopefully the song speaks to a wider audience and still captures the attention of both her big hits mentioned.....

My my first impression, based on the one line and the beat of the rhyme made me think of a motivational theme and upbeat.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by txacar View Post
    ^Maybe it's the new "Who Are You." I listened to that song dozens of times trying to decide if she was singing to Mike or to God. Couldn't decide if it was a love song or christian song.

I actually LOVE the way she sings that song. Even though she had no part in writing it, she owns it when she sings it

Concert Stars
    Is the speculation from just the title and first line or has something else been posted?

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by twaintrain View Post
    Is the speculation from just the title and first line or has something else been posted?
    Nothing new. Just from the title and first line of lyrics that was posted on Pulse. If she really is debuting a new song at the CMAs, she and her team are doing an AMAZING job of keeping it all quiet this time. I know we have the info about Paint, but we don't know for sure that is the lead single, just that it was a studio recording that appears to be ready to go (and we know Carrie doesn't typically do those unless she intends to release the song or put it on an album). I guess I was really hoping Carrie might start dropping some hints soon if she really is giving us new music in a couple weeks!
    "Thank you for that ‘Captain Obvious’ sense of humor because you know what, we not only hit the high notes, you forgot to mention we generally hit the ‘right’ notes as well."
    -Kelly Clarkson to Scott Borchetta about American Idol artists
    Thanks so much Danielle!

•