Page 514 of 514 FirstFirst ... 14414464504512513514
Results 10,261 to 10,279 of 10279
Like Tree36073Likes

Thread: Carrie Underwood 6 - Cry Pretty Era

Junior Carrie Follower
    I think a 5th single will come down to 1. The success of single #4 and 2. If Carrie has any duets coming out as singles for other artists (like “Remind Me” and “The Fighter”).

I would love for the next two singles to be any combination of “Low”, “Drinking Alone” and “End Up With You”.

Concert Stars
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...edium=referral

Inside the Making of Carrie Underwood's Cry Pretty Tour 360: "It's a Visual Odyssey"

11:57 AM PDT 10/3/2019 by Evan Real

• FACEBOOK
    • TWITTER
    • EMAIL ME

Jeff Johnson
    Carrie Underwood performing at New York's Madison Square Garden on Oct. 2

Producer Sveta Yermolayeva talks to The Hollywood Reporter about helping craft the country superstar's latest concert series that features second-to-none production, including stunning video projections that take fans inside Underwood's "sparkly and emotive world."

Following sold-out shows at Los Angeles' Staples Center and Nashville's Bridgestone Arena, Carrie Underwood attracted yet another completely packed house on Wednesday night at New York's iconic Madison Square Garden, the latest stop on her Cry Pretty Tour 360.
    Powerhouse vocals, dazzling costumes, pyrotechnics, confetti and touching reflections from Underwood are all part of the concert series, which kicked off on May 1 in Greensboro, North Carolina. But what makes her sixth tour extra special is a hydraulic 360-stage flanked by stunning video projections created by Sila Sveta, an interactive media and conceptual design company based in Moscow, New York and L.A.
    ADVERTISING

Ahead of Wednesday's Manhattan show, Sila Sveta's Sveta Yermolayeva spoke with The Hollywood Reporter about collaborating with Underwood and using stunning visuals to help transport fans inside the country superstar's "sparkly and emotive world" they dreamed up to take on the road.
    "The Cry Pretty Tour 360 is unlike anything we've ever done before. Really, it's a visual odyssey," said Yermolayeva, adding that she was particularly thrilled to partner on the project with Fireplay, the Brooklyn design firm that crafted Underwood's massive eye-shaped stage which allows the singer to interact with every corner of her audience. "The stage alone got me super interested. It was an exciting challenge."
    Underwood begins the show with her latest single, "Southbound," for which the stage is illuminated in red, with more than a dozen screens floating above flashing images of ruby-hued geometric shapes, supersonic traffic lights and, of course, glitter (Underwood's favored motif presently). "Sparkle is a big part of the show and this era of Carrie's career in general," Yermolayeva said, referencing the glittering tears painted on Underwood's face for the cover of her Cry Pretty album, released in September 2018.

Jeff Johnson

With guidance from tour director Barry Lather (Britney Spears, Janet Jackson, Rihanna), Sila Sveta used different colors and vignettes to depict an array of moods during each song in Underwood's robust setlist. For example, "Cowboy Casanova" features cool blue lighting juxtaposed with sizzling embers onscreen; "Good Girl" gets the '80s treatment with a dancing stream of teal and magenta lasers; and "Last Name" is a golden moment full of twinkling orange fulgurations. Throughout, Underwood and her band traverse across multiple stage platforms that lift high above the arena floor, improving sight lines for the much of the crowd, and have the ability to spew smoke and fire.
    "The main goal was to create the most impactful visual effects throughout the whole concert and connect them as much as possible to Carrie's talent," Yermolayeva said of her approach to designing the show's VFX elements. "The visuals, for the most part, really support Carrie and let her shine more than she already does. Because she's a great star and she has an unbelievable voice, we didn't want the content to overshadow her. So, we needed to find the balance where it all works together to support her."
    Naturally, Underwood herself is frequently seen on the stage's oversized screens in conjunction with Sila Sveta's imagery. "For this show, we used real-time renderings generated by Notch Software. We then get a signal from [motion tracking software] BlackTrax, which the artist is wearing on herself," Yermolayeva told THR of the technology employed for the Cry Pretty Tour 360. "This means that when Carrie is moving around the stage, the camera sees that BlackTrax tracker and the visual reacts and changes in real time. That way, each screen shows Carrie on it at the appropriate time in the show."
    Yermolayeva also catered her content to the themes and lyrics in Underwood's music. This was evident during the American Idol alum's forceful performance of her 2012 single "Blown Away" on Wednesday. Not long after a digital tornado coruscated through Madison Square Garden, heavy rains appeared onscreen the second Underwood sang the line, "There's not enough rain in Oklahoma to wash the sins out of that house." Similarly, footage of memorial services for deceased military veterans, complimented by shots of the American flag, candlelit vigils and falling bullets, played during Underwood's emotional rendition of her patriotic pro-troops chorale, "The Bullet." (The song has also been largely interpreted as a statement about the lack of gun control in the U.S. and the country's growing number of mass shootings.)
    For her beloved Christian crossover hit, "Jesus Take the Wheel," Underwood walks across a succession of platforms (seeming to mirror the Son of God's storied walk on water) that eventually rises to resemble a stairway to heaven. As Underwood makes her ascension, lifelike clouds designed by Sila Sveta drift on screens overhead. "We know how much that song means to Carrie and her career," Yermolayeva said of the Grammy-winning single, released in 2005 on her debut album, Some Hearts. "So, we really wanted to make that one special."
    Sila Sveta was right to take extra care with "Jesus." As Underwood told fans Wednesday night, "I knew I had to hurry up and record it before someone else did. And I swear, I have sung that song in every single show we have done over the past 15 years. And it means more to me today than the first time I heard it. I still get chill bumps hearing you guys singing it, so thank you so much for that."
    While "Jesus Take the Wheel" is one of Yermolayeva's favorite sections of the Cry Pretty Tour 360 show, other personal standouts for the production luminary include "Backsliding" for its "magical" onscreen mosaics; "Church Bells" for the 3D-rendered jewels that encompass Underwood as she belts her paean to female empowerment; and the prismatic back-to-back encore of title track "Cry Pretty" and the LGBTQ pride anthem "Love Wins."
    "Again, the finale is very sparkly. A giant chandelier emerges from the ground and it all starts out pink for 'Cry Pretty' before everything turns rainbow for 'Love Wins,'" Yermolayeva said of her vivid visuals. "It turned out to be so beautiful. It was emotional seeing it come to life for the first time."
    Sila Sveta has previously worked with the likes of Drake, Migos, Halsey and Cardi B, but Yermolayeva told THR that teaming up with Underwood for the Cry Pretty Tour 360 just might be the highlight of her company's portfolio thus far. "We are so proud of this project and we really enjoyed working with Carrie and her team," Yermolayeva said. "Carrie is very professional and very involved in the creative process — meaning she communicates heavily with her creative team and really puts her trust in them. That made this entire experience so incredible."
    Underwood's Cry Pretty Tour 360 will next make its way to Washington, D.C.'s Capital One Arena on Friday before concluding at Detroit's Little Caesars Arena on Oct. 31.

Insane Carrie Fan
    They are hyping the hell out of her and this tour. They have to be setting up an Entertainer win!
    Carrieroxmysox2011 likes this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    And why shouldn't they. This is an amazing tour and as several recent reviews have said she is the total package! EOTY worthy!!!
    lizcarlo likes this.

Especially after Carrie's performance of 'Low' on Stephen Colbert, I feel like this album's high-notes and belts are done with a lot of meaning and emotion compared to her previous albums. Like, they serve an additional purpose than being a good vocal.

- In 'Cry Pretty', the long notes are like wails and letting out her crying.
    - In 'Low', it's almost like a lament of feeling such deep sadness.
    - I won't call the long note in 'Drinking Alone' the same as the ones in the two above but the vocal runs in the end just add another layer to a story that has a lot of character in the lyrics + the delivery
    - 'The Bullet' kind of has one too which suggest the carried on effect of a gunshot.

Apart from these, amongst which the first two are the main ones for me, she hasn't used long notes on this album. And I think when she mentioned in interviews that David Garcia helped her bring out the emotion in her vocals rather than focusing on perfect singing, this is what she meant. Of course, Carrie is a singer who adds a lot of emotion in her songs but to me, personally, the ones on this album are more meaningful and felt by her to the core.

New Carrie Fan spinningbottles09's Avatar
    I'm a little bit sad because I realized that 3 amazing songs from Cry Pretty aren't co-written by her.

Junior Carrie Follower
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Curr View Post
    I think a 5th single will come down to 1. The success of single #4 and 2. If Carrie has any duets coming out as singles for other artists (like “Remind Me” and “The Fighter”).

I would love for the next two singles to be any combination of “Low”, “Drinking Alone” and “End Up With You”.
    We also have a duet for Somethin Bad and also ITYS with Randy, which all of them closes the era. So we can expect this should be the trend.

Now that Sam Hunt is out with new music, let's wait for him to take over Carrie and be a barrier for her singles.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by spinningbottles09 View Post
    I'm a little bit sad because I realized that 3 amazing songs from Cry Pretty aren't co-written by her.
    Don't be sad. Carrie has never co-written all of the songs on an album, but with each album she writes more and, in my opinion, continues to get better. I personally think the best songs on the album were written by her, with the except of That Song, which is also one of my favorites. She co-wrote everything except Ghosts, The Bullet, That Song and EUWY - so she co-wrote Low, Drinking Alone, Cry Pretty, Spinning Bottles, Kingdom, Backsliding, on and on - I think the strength of her co-writes far outweighs the ones she didn't have a hand in writing this time.
    "Thank you for that ‘Captain Obvious’ sense of humor because you know what, we not only hit the high notes, you forgot to mention we generally hit the ‘right’ notes as well."
    -Kelly Clarkson to Scott Borchetta about American Idol artists
    Thanks so much Danielle!

Concert Stars
    I really am not ready for the tour to be over. I saw it twice, but would love to see it again. At least we get at least one more single, but hoping for 2.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    "BMI’s Jody Williams told the gathering that he was recently talking to award-winning songwriter Lori McKenna who was loud in her praise of Underwood. “Carrie’s not a good writer, she’s a great one,” he quoted McKenna saying. “She can hold her own with anyone.” Statistics bear McKenna out. Underwood has co-written eight of her No. 1 singles on Billboard’s country airplay chart."

it's nice to see a respected songwriter standing up for Carrie's abilities in that regard. Someday hopefully the rest of the industry will get over whatever problem they have with her and respect her songwriting too.

Carrie Underwood Sets ?Southbound? Party Vibe | CMT

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Kizmet311 View Post
    Don't be sad. Carrie has never co-written all of the songs on an album, but with each album she writes more and, in my opinion, continues to get better. I personally think the best songs on the album were written by her, with the except of That Song, which is also one of my favorites. She co-wrote everything except Ghosts, The Bullet, That Song and EUWY - so she co-wrote Low, Drinking Alone, Cry Pretty, Spinning Bottles, Kingdom, Backsliding, on and on - I think the strength of her co-writes far outweighs the ones she didn't have a hand in writing this time.
    It would be amazing to have a full written album by her.
    LilUnderwood and brenda218 like this.

I really want a Christmas album! One in 2020 would be awesome
    countrymusicfan15 likes this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan carriefan14's Avatar
    Looking back at everything now that all four singles are out, I think I would have wanted:

1. CP
    2. Kingdom
    3. Drinking Alone
    4. Low

Backsliding should've been single #3 and Ghosts On The Stereo #2.
    Smokyiiis likes this.

Part of me is mad Love Wins was a single but at the same time I feel like if they didn't release it as one I would have been mad they didnt? If that makes any sense lol

Insane Carrie Fan
    Are we sure this is the last single?

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by adam1995 View Post
    Are we sure this is the last single?
    No, and I doubt it is. Too many great songs and I think UMG will take full advantage and release at least 1 or 2 more.
    adam1995, gwade82, Suellen and 1 others like this.

Carrie Follower
    I guess the pregnancy news might have shifted the single release off CP album. The singles that were released so far have been underwhelming except for the lead.

DA is good but I don’t really love it as much as Backsliding and EUWY. If UMG is willing to invest additional 1-2 more singles, then I’d wish for them. They are definitely radio friendly and current to fit in the boyfriend country bandwagon.

Should have been single:
    1. Cry pretty
    2. Backsliding
    3. Drinking alone
    4. End up with you
    5. Love wins

Current & potential future single (FYC)
    1. Cry pretty
    2. Live wins
    3. Southbound
    4. Drinking alone
    5. Backsliding