Page 495 of 496 FirstFirst ... 395445485493494495496 LastLast
Results 9,881 to 9,900 of 9916
Like Tree35240Likes

Thread: Carrie Underwood 6 - Cry Pretty Era

I dont know off hand but would any of these songs be more likely be a single due to the writers? Doesn't that usually have a big influence on single choice?

Quote Originally Posted by txacar View Post
    ^That performance of GOTS was the most flat, boring, unenthusiastic performance I've ever seen from Carrie. It is not a good concert song, but perfect for country radio. I purchased it for myself and for a few friends who don't like the rest of the album. That said, I still think we need DA as the next single.
    Whaaaat? I strongly disagree with that. That's one of the performances I've been going back to time and again because I really love it. I definitely don't think she was unenthusiastic. She was very engaged in the song and I loved her vocal performance as well.
    ethelu, pgk and Farawayhills like this.

I agree with most of you that Southbound is not a good choice for a single. I personally like it and it might fly up the charts but I prefer stylistic quality over quantity this era. I want her singles to show diversity and range. I would love Low, Drinking Alone, Backsliding, That Song That We Used to Make Love To and Spinning Bottles. I just freakin' hope we get more than 4 singles this era. Enough is enough.
    lizcarlo likes this.

Insane Carrie Fan
    ^Can Low be submitted by the label? I assume that's how Oh Love was nominated. I totally agree it is definitely grammy worthy -- and, far more so than recently awarded material.
    It would have a way better chance of winning if it was an actual single, and that would be very okay with me.
    ethelu, txacar and rainbow1 like this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    I can’t wait for a new single from Carrie. Can’t believe CP was almost a year ago already. Time flies. So excited to see her back out there again.
    txacar and rainbow1 like this.

New Carrie Fan
    I’m hoping for three more singles which I think is quite possible as they will want the tour on the forefront of people’s minds. I am hoping for Drinking Alone and Low for sure as the next singles. I particularly love Spinning Bottles as well, but feel like they may go with a more catchy, fun song instead. Low as already been mentioned by Billy Dukes as a Song of the Year contender. I really think it would win a lot of awards and please the “traditional country” people too.
    txacar, Suellen, Smokyiiis and 2 others like this.

Junior Carrie Follower
    I think the “too pop for country” argument is no longer relevant lol. Look at Thomas Rhett’s and Kelseas current singles, totally pop sounding. I think Backsliding would fit in. However, if Carrie is looking to send something different to radio, my choice would be Low or That Song That We Used to Make Love to

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboy16 View Post
    I think the “too pop for country” argument is no longer relevant lol. Look at Thomas Rhett’s and Kelseas current singles, totally pop sounding. I think Backsliding would fit in. However, if Carrie is looking to send something different to radio, my choice would be Low or That Song That We Used to Make Love to
    Thomas is a man and we know all the millions that Kelsea's label have to spend in her "#1's".. lol

UMG can't give Carrie a #1 and now is struggling for a top 10, so the last thing we need right now is a pop song as the third single. IMO
    Smokyiiis and rainbow1 like this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan MSCarriefan's Avatar
    ^Kelsea's single this time might get close to number one but I Hate Love Songs didn't even make top 20. She even said radio didn't like it.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by MSCarriefan View Post
    ^Kelsea's single this time might get close to number one but I Hate Love Songs didn't even make top 20. She even said radio didn't like it.
    I really like LMM. Hope it does go to #1. I always rate it high on Rate the Music (same for LW). So much better than those pathetic male country singers they are playing right now.
    Smokyiiis likes this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Momin View Post
    Whaaaat? I strongly disagree with that. That's one of the performances I've been going back to time and again because I really love it. I definitely don't think she was unenthusiastic. She was very engaged in the song and I loved her vocal performance as well.
    The performance on Jimmie Kimmel Live? I'd agree with you there!

I think I can understand why some might feel this was a little subdued and lacking in artist engagement, because we're very used to Carrie's power vocals, and her use of complex notes and belting to add force to key passages a lyric and chorus climaxes- but, as I've said before, that style can separate the artist, to a degree, from full immersion in the lyric, and can mask some of the nuances of expression in a more intimate song.

This song is one of Carrie's more introspective numbers - and it does require that more nuanced identification with the mood and personal themes of the lyric. At its heart, it's a mood-driven song, and it needs an experienced and confident vocalist, who knows when to hold back and how to bring out subtle expressions of feeling. The story line involves someone going through sadness, and trying to find solace through listening to her timeless legends singing on the stereo. The party mood referred to in the lyric is imaginary, created in her house alone, as a way of not giving in to the tragedy, as some might expect.

Carrie didn't write this number, but she has obviously thought it through carefully as producer. I think that not being one of the writers man actually have helped in this case, in enabling her to develop her interpretation without coming to the song with preconceived ideas. Much of the song is delivered, with downcast or half closed eyes, directly to the microphone and stand, which are used as visual props, as well as technical devices. I think this makes the song particularly personal, and helps to create the dream effect of the situation she's imagining. The repetitive notes in the backing music are used to create the return to remembered songs from her forerunners. The party mood is created by the louder singing and dance and arm movements in the choruses - but these sequences are not over over-played, and help to suggest a jagged and fleeting change of mood, that is only temporary. I don't see any of this as a lack of enthusiasm - rather a clever balancing of expression of what the lyric suggests the narrator is going through. In that sense , I think this song fits the album particularly well - both as an indication of the greater maturity and innovation she shows in this album - and also, perhaps, as tying in with the personal feelings she must have experienced at the difficult time she went through in her own life.

People have commented on this as being a one-off performance, which may not be repeated - and, although I'd hope to see it used more, I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't. On the one hand, it's pretty different ground for Carrie, and she may feel the more personal numbers (as I think this one probably is) are not ones she would always want to repeat. And on the other hand, there are special features of the album which would be difficult to replicate. Hank's granddaughter, Merle's son, and a musician who had worked with Jones, all collaborated on the album - not many artists could get that degree of special support - and I think she may possibly prefer to leave that as an album gem.

I do think, by the way, that the level of support she got on this song is significant. Neither Holly Williams, nor Ben Haggard have been afraid to use musical innovation in their work, or been content to just echo some mythical past. Merle himself was an innovator, who played a significant part in the Hippie-Redneck fusion - I mentioned in an earlier post that "Mama Tried" (which Keith Urban referenced on his recent stylistically very mixed album) was years ahead of its time in its musical progression. I think those people recognize the mix of tradition and progression that Carrie uses in much of her work - something I often try to point out, but which her critics often seem to give too little attention to)
    rainbow1, Momin, Smokyiiis and 4 others like this.

Concert Stars
    ^well written critique of the performance and I completely agree. Love the almost hypnotic sensuality in the performance!
    rainbow1, ethelu and Farawayhills like this.

Very on point Faraway. The reason I'm drawn to that performance is because of how much emotion there is in the song and it's very laid-back compared to her other songs, and that is evident in the live performance. Perhaps "Heartbeat" could be considered similar in terms of being laid-back and emotional but, for me, it never really packed as much as that one performance of "Ghosts on the Stereo" did. The vocal variation is something that I really enjoy and, from what it seemed, Carrie herself was pretty into the entire song too.
    rainbow1 and Farawayhills like this.

Insane Carrie Fan
    Just went on Hits Daily Double, just to see some news around the industry, and there are three banners for "Cry Pretty" (the album). Is something coming?
    rainbow1 and Kizmet311 like this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan MSCarriefan's Avatar
    ^Saw the same thing Wednesday. Then it was back to Maren yesterday
    adam1995 likes this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by adam1995 View Post
    just went on hits daily double, just to see some news around the industry, and there are three banners for "cry pretty" (the album). Is something coming?
    cpt360 :-)
    rainbow1 likes this.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Insane Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by maddkat View Post
    cpt360 :-)
    That's what I thought too, but when I clicked on the banner it went to the LW video. Should have gone to ticketmaster, lol.

New Carrie Fan
    Speaking of LW video, i hope CU will stop working Shane Drake. She should consider Hannah Lux Davis who have directed Kacey Musgrave's HH and Rainbow with excellent artistic shots.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by heymc View Post
    Speaking of LW video, i hope CU will stop working Shane Drake. She should consider Hannah Lux Davis who have directed Kacey Musgrave's HH and Rainbow with excellent artistic shots.
    Carrie usually uses Randee St Nichols. As for Shane Drake, I'm not familiar with his other work but the LW video is brilliant. To use the Holi festival to depict the conquest of good over evil -- I don't know how you could have conceived and delivered a more beautiful way to convey the song's message.

I'm not a fan of Kacey's music so haven't seen her videos. I'll take a look at Rainbow.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Carrie usually uses Randee St Nichols. As for Shane Drake, I'm not familiar with his other work but the LW video is brilliant. To use the Holi festival to depict the conquest of good over evil -- I don't know how you could have conceived and delivered a more beautiful way to convey the song's message.

I'm not a fan of Kacey's music so haven't seen her videos. I'll take a look at Rainbow.
    The colors and lighting of Love Wins was brilliant too. I would not mind the same person doing of video for of one of Carrie's more "story-type" songs
    txacar and countrymusicfan15 like this.

•