Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 202 of 454 FirstFirst ... 102152192200201202203204212252302 ... LastLast
Results 4,021 to 4,040 of 9072
Like Tree31931Likes

Thread: Carrie Underwood 6 - Cry Pretty Era

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    ^^^ I agree also..... Carrie is now seeing it from the producer side of things, which is a whole totally different perspective for her....

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by simonplay View Post
    I'am the only one who doesn't understand what "use the demo vocals" mean? Are we getting songs like the work tapes in the GH album? Lol I don't understand how that is going to work...
    My understanding is demos are the finished product of the work tapes, with minimal accompaniment. Remember the demo of OK Wind that leaked? Also, the recordings of Carrie when she was young are actually demos she recorded to pitch to labels in pursuit of a contract. Instead of Carrie re-recording a song, they would just use the vocals from the demo.
    simonplay likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by txacar View Post
    My understanding is demos are the finished product of the work tapes, with minimal accompaniment. Remember the demo of OK Wind that leaked? Also, the recordings of Carrie when she was young are actually demos she recorded to pitch to labels in pursuit of a contract. Instead of Carrie re-recording a song, they would just use the vocals from the demo.
    Ok thanks, could I put as an example All is Well as she come and sing it just one time and that was the version they use?

And wasn't Carrie finishing recording some vocals 2 weeks ago? What was she recording if she is using the demos? Haha...

Obsessed Carrie Fan

Quote Originally Posted by prettylittlemustang View Post
    In terms of mainstream and chart success, yes, she will. There will come a time when she’ll stop having hits. She’ll continue making music, but she won’t be at the top forever like she is now. No artist has ever stayed relevant the entire run of their working career.
    I think it would be extremely hard to stay at the top after 13 years and still be able to put out consistently amazing,powerful songs without missing a beat.She probably puts that pressure on herself to be the best at everything she does, and still be able to stay at the top of her game even with other women coming up behind her in country music.No matter how good you are or how extremely talented you are,you just can’t stay on the top forever.Its just not realistic.Not that this matters or anything,but there will ALWAYS be someone coming up behind you wanting to take your place and try to be more successful than you were.That probably doesn’t really matter in Carrie’s case,but you never know,it might be a possibility down the road.Dolly & Reba are still making music,but they aren’t as successful as they were in the past as far as chart success goes.I don’t know if that was a good example or not,but I thought it was worth a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    Ok thanks, could I put as an example All is Well as she come and sing it just one time and that was the version they use?

And wasn't Carrie finishing recording some vocals 2 weeks ago? What was she recording if she is using the demos? Haha...
    I don't think you can classify All Is Well as an example of a demo. She actually went in to record the song for use on the record. My understanding of a demo is as tx described. With All Is Well she just nailed the song the first time she sang it.
    simonplay and txacar like this.

Insane Carrie Fan
    I think there is waaaaay too much reading into vague statements at this point, lol.

Hil

I took it to mean she didn't change it up a lot just for money notes, but used the version of the demo. She probably was still re-recording the songs. She was singing some of the songs more true to how the originally recorded it. Which means there are still big chorus's and big notes, IMO, but not adding them for the heck of it. That was my interpretation.

Concert Stars

Carrie sang AIW in the studio, just as she is doing with most songs on CP. Sometimes when you write an article you read it over and over, edit and edit some more, then wind up using the pre-edited version because it conveys the message you had in your heart when you began to write. Same with the song -- she felt the first pass through (demo record) on some songs conveyed the emotion the song deserved much better than a perfected studio version.
    simonplay, Hil, rainbow1 and 1 others like this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LouisaJessie View Post
    Carrie’s “Cry Pretty” named ‘Record Of The Week’ by BBC Radio 2! https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0b5xbqv
    Thanks, LouisaJessie - a very interesting find, and an impressively good omen for Carrie's drive to get more international recognition for her brand of contemporary Country.

BBC playlists always have to be approved by both a presenter and the show's producer, and are less vulnerable to manipulation by record labels. The result can be that they're more varied than you'd probably tend to get on commercial radio.

Glancing at this list has several points of interest for me. Cyndi Lauper is a figure from the Alternative Pop world that I admire - her recordings have often been experimental and carry a strong message. Carrie's "Clock Don't Stop" reminded me somewhat of her style, in its use of truncated lyrical phrases, its experimental music, and its reference to the relentless impersonal passage of time.
    Coldplay provided a relatively rare example of a song covered by Carrie in her Country to Country concerts a few years ago.

Carie is one of three artists on this playlist associated particularly with the Country genre - and the other two, Lee Ann Womack and Eddie Rabbitt, are not ones that I feel she would tend to be linked with by American radio presenters - yet I think it's an appropriate linking, showing that this list is more able to avoid preconceptions about an artist's placing. Lee Ann's "I Hope You Dance" is from about five years before Carrie's breakout. It achieved considerable crossover success (and in my view could be a song that Carrie might consider covering). It had both Country and Pop radio versions (something I feel Carrie would probably avoid) - for this list, the BBC have chosen the Country version, which included featured chorus singing by Sons of the Desert (the Texas band that had the original version of "Goodbye Earl").
    Eddie Rabbitt was successful in an earlier era - he was one of the Nashville artists who arguably pioneered major crossover success. The song chosen here had both Folk and Rhythm and Blues influence - the latter being something that Carrie has recently been experimenting more with.

All told, this is a wide ranging listing, and I'm impressed that CP should be picked as the lead recording from it.

Quote Originally Posted by MelissaD View Post
    Celine is also extremely anal about taking care of her voice. Not only does she do hours worth of vocal warmups before a big show or performance, but she's famously known to even forgo speaking for a full day prior to it!
    Celine is a great singer but unfortunately most of her shows she lipsyncs to a pre recorded track. While I feel it might be needed to save her voice I also feel it's like cheating since she's not a dancer and you pay to watch her sing. There were some videos on YT but most were turned down but here are two good ones https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOoQ40T9aL0 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSQwKMgrnhA Once again, great singer but I feel that's not fair. That's why I respect Carrie much more.

Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post
    Actually, Carrie didn't say anything about the album songs sounding more "mellow". The word "mellow" was introduced in this thread, and has since been repeated a number of times, almost gaining a life of its own! What Carrie said was that the songs may sound more "raw", because her production experience has taught her not to overthink her delivery, in terms of going for a particular note. I take that to mean, greater spontaneity, greater confidence in relying on how she interpreted the passage on first take, less going for a particular, consciously planned effect. I don't see raw emotion as having any direct connection with a particular tempo, or a particular sound level - I feel raw emotion in CP in both the quieter intro passage, and in the long conclusion. The latter is forceful and loud, and shows vocal range - but it is less formally structured, less "stagy", and less conventional in terms of more formulaic vocal tours de force. But it is still a tour de force in terms of what the vocalist achieves, and the emotional intensity it conveys ("Mellow" it certainly isn't!). I'm sure that singing from the heart and soul and relying on emotional depth, with less secondary searching for production polish, is what Carrie meant, And I definitely think that there'll be variety on the album, but with the inclusion of several powerful deliveries.
    I take it back I couldn't find the article where "mellow" was used and assumed it must have come from somewhere since everyone keeps saying it. It definitely depends what she means with raw. Raw emotion, raw sound...I'm all for emotion but I do love a good produced song like Blown Away! Love to see more of that but I don't think we will this time round...
    Farawayhills likes this.

A lil city in the middle of a lil island in the middle of a lil country in the middle of the sea
    I'am the only one who doesn't understand what "use the demo vocals" mean? Are we getting songs like the work tapes in the GH album? Lol I don't understand how that is going to work...
    Here is an example of a demo: the demo for SWISLY
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=i_u41Zx4fJg

Hillary recorded this... It's a studio recording but with lesser intrumentation, effects and processing...
    But not sure if carrie does demos even for her co-writes.. those that we heard were sang by other folks.. so maybe she's referring to the rough demo like the ones in GH?
    txacar likes this.

sco
    Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by adam1995 View Post
    I think there is waaaaay too much reading into vague statements at this point, lol.
    Amen to that. I’ve seen examples of this so many times. People read way more into what she said than she meant then get upset when it doesn’t pan out the way they expect. She’s likely talking about a subtle evolution of her style not a wholesale 90 degree shift.

As to the comment about the demo vocals, my interpretation is they used them in a few places.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by jaks_weyn View Post
    Here is an example of a demo: the demo for SWISLY
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=i_u41Zx4fJg

Hillary recorded this... It's a studio recording but with lesser intrumentation, effects and processing...
    But not sure if carrie does demos even for her co-writes.. those that we heard were sang by other folks.. so maybe she's referring to the rough demo like the ones in GH?
    Good example. I only found demos she recorded when was a kid.

Carrie did the demo for Oklahoma Wind that leaked and caused her to leave it off of her album. It was beautiful. Lol, maybe we should remind her of that raw, emotional demo and ask her to put it on her next album.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar

Carrie did the demo for Oklahoma Wind that leaked and caused her to leave it off of her album. It was beautiful. Lol, maybe we should remind her of that raw, emotional demo and ask her to put it on her next album.
    .....or even ask the co-writer to sing it with her!

txacar and rainbow1 like this.

A lil city in the middle of a lil island in the middle of a lil country in the middle of the sea

It was a rough demo though.. it was recorded together with the guitar.. so not sure if they are able to get the vocals only in her rough demos.. so me thinks in this era she herself recorded the demos of her co-writes..

speaking of raw vocals, I hope the production is a bit raw too.. like just piano and vocals.. i remember a rough demo floating long ago.. the song was called My Favorite Part.. it was Carrie alone accompanied by piano.. it was a really sweet and beautiful love song ballad.. dunno why she didn't cut it for Play On.. would love to hear that song... I wish she would have something similar like that in CP..

Her version of Oklahoma Wind would be considered a work tape rather than a demo I believe.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by kelanob View Post
    Her version of Oklahoma Wind would be considered a work tape rather than a demo I believe.
    Probably true, but when the flap occurred they referred to it as a demo. Regardless, leakers are weasels and deprived the public of a gorgeous song.
    liz278 and rainbow1 like this.

Concert Stars
    I love all the new appearance dates she has scheduled- particularly the UK Hyde Park date. That’s a big deal!
    rainbow1 and ethelu like this.

Concert Stars

Carrie Underwood 6 - Cry Pretty Era

There was also demos of Leave Love Alone and Flat on The Floor that Carrie sang pretty much the same as well.

With the “money note” discussion. Remember too that Carrie also mentions exploring and discovering different parts of her voice that she never knew she had (something like that) which I find quite exciting. I love those big notes but I’m also thrilled to hear something new with this album. Carrie is always growing and expanding. One of the many, many reasons I love her so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    rainbow1 and teesharky like this.

•