Page 201 of 487 FirstFirst ... 101151191199200201202203211251301 ... LastLast
Results 4,001 to 4,020 of 9724
Like Tree34639Likes

Thread: Carrie Underwood 6 - Cry Pretty Era

Quote Originally Posted by twaintrain View Post
    Melissa, I have a question. Speaking 50 year old artists, I had the wonderful experience of seeing Céline Dion a couple of weeks ago - another lyric soprano so I’m told. I read that Céline hits an F5 in the famous note in “All By Myself,” although she lowers it live to save her voice (which works, she was still amazing). Do you know if Carrie has ever hit a note that high full voice?
    She hit F5 a lot and even higher notes, check this video, specially at 3:46 minute...

https://youtu.be/EFDodwSqL0U
    Last edited by simonplay; 06-12-2018 at 08:41 PM.
    Hil, txacar, teesharky and 3 others like this.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by MelissaD View Post
    Love this post. So true. Her power and huge vocals have always been at the center of the acclaim she's received as a vocalist, even dating back to her Idol run. Some people don't like belting and high notes and prefer more laid back mellow singing that they can comfortably hum along to. They consider anything more than that to be "screaming" and "over-singing." But Carrie has done just fine in her career up to this point WITHOUT the support of such individuals, as the majority of people are wowed by those abilities of hers and actually appreciate them. Don't really think Carrie cares what the critics say either, to be honest. If she ever did, it would have been at the beginning of her career. Not now. Highly doubt she gives a rat's behind about people thinking she's over-singing. She's had nearly a decade and a half of mega success. She's already an icon and legend in the making. She doesn't need to compromise anything to satisfy a small group of people.
    agree completely. And some of those people are just jealous stans of other artists who could not hit those big glory notes in their wildest dreams- much less with full power the way Carrie does. So they bash it as "over-singing" or screaming when it is actually brilliant vocals.

I like a soft, under-stated song sometimes too like Wine After Whiskey or I Told You So, etc. Carrie can do the more mellow songs if she likes- and she does them beautifully. But her ability to sing to the heavens is a God gven gift- and some people just cannot secretly stand thet their favorites cannot sing like that- ie - they can only sing 3 chords in a mellow, thin or weak tone. Sure- some people just like soft, weak, mellow songs-- but I personally prefer passionate, emotional vocals like Carrie's. I can appreciate the softer songs too though....and do not need every song to shoot for the rafters. But no one can take away Carrie's raw exceptional vocal talent, and she shouldn't have to hide it to appease haters.

Concert Stars
    I am really excited about the 4th of July Spotify concert in NYC. That sounds really fun! Glad we can likely stream it on spotify for free! I wish I could go but will be out of town.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Another flawless CP vocal ... from CMA Fest last night. #Slayed!!!

At the very end there, you see Sydni pick up her fiddle and plug in a mike chord - presumably, for the next song. I wonder what that was - I wish we'd seen it!

This is the event we used to call Fan Fair. It seems to have kept some of the traditional elements, including the multiple stages, allowing large numbers of artists to be seen, including many who'd never get radio play. Of the Cry Pretty performances we've seen, this is visually my favourite - I like Carrie's costume, and also the fact that it wasn't staged with most of the band hidden (I feel that showing their full participation is an important part of a Country Music performance)
    rainbow1, Suellen, liz278 and 3 others like this.

^ the next song was Wasted.
    Farawayhills, txacar and ethelu like this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by twaintrain View Post
    Melissa, I have a question. Speaking 50 year old artists, I had the wonderful experience of seeing Céline Dion a couple of weeks ago - another lyric soprano so I’m told. I read that Céline hits an F5 in the famous note in “All By Myself,” although she lowers it live to save her voice (which works, she was still amazing). Do you know if Carrie has ever hit a note that high full voice?
    Yes, Carrie has hit F5 and above many times in full voice, but her approach is very different from Celine's. Celine is a lot more technical and disciplined, and she employs the "mixing" technique to her upper belts, which allows her to belt in a higher range more freely since she is blending chest tone with an appropriate amount of head tone instead of pushing her chest voice all the way up. When Carrie gets up there, she tends to push past the passaggio (or "natural transition point" where the resonance switches from pure chest to a mix of chest and head) which causes her to raise her larynx and results in less ease, freedom, and tonal quality. That's why she doesn't sing up there often. Her approach of simply blasting through the notes is far more strenuous on the vocal cords and makes the pitches much more difficult to reach. Mixing or "middle voice" is actually a technique, and once a singer strengthens those natural transition points (or "passaggios") in their range through training and practice, they can actually manipulate how much chest vs. head they use in a blend. They can sing the exact same note in a more chest-dominant blend, a head-dominant blend, or a balanced blend in which the ratio of chest to head voice is virtually the same. It's such a beneficial technique for singers to master, not only in the interest of preserving their voices long-term, but in maximizing the potential of their full-voice range. It's why I've always wished Carrie took the time to master that technique. She'd be even more of a vocal beast than she already is.

Celine is also extremely anal about taking care of her voice. Not only does she do hours worth of vocal warmups before a big show or performance, but she's famously known to even forgo speaking for a full day prior to it!
    Hil, Suellen, Smokyiiis and 5 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by simonplay View Post
    ^ the next song was Wasted.
    Thanks!

Although this video is shot from a long way back, and relies on the big screens, which, understandably, focus on Carrie all the time - you do get a couple of glimpses of Sydni playing, as she walks across stage, towards the end
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adRpdMaizmA
    rainbow1 and ethelu like this.

Concert Stars
    I am already getting antsy to hear the second single. Lol. Hoping it drops in August.
    rainbow1 likes this.

Concert Stars
    Well we have to see CRY PRETTY to number 1 first if the boys will let us. Country radio is even worse today than four years ago when it comes to playing the women.
    DaisyTweets and rainbow1 like this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by teesharky View Post
    agree completely. And some of those people are just jealous stans of other artists who could not hit those big glory notes in their wildest dreams- much less with full power the way Carrie does. So they bash it as "over-singing" or screaming when it is actually brilliant vocals.

I like a soft, under-stated song sometimes too like Wine After Whiskey or I Told You So, etc. Carrie can do the more mellow songs if she likes- and she does them beautifully. But her ability to sing to the heavens is a God gven gift- and some people just cannot secretly stand thet their favorites cannot sing like that- ie - they can only sing 3 chords in a mellow, thin or weak tone. Sure- some people just like soft, weak, mellow songs-- but I personally prefer passionate, emotional vocals like Carrie's. I can appreciate the softer songs too though....and do not need every song to shoot for the rafters. But no one can take away Carrie's raw exceptional vocal talent, and she shouldn't have to hide it to appease haters.

I agree 100% Tee.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Yes, Carrie has hit F5 and above many times in full voice, but her approach is very different from Celine's. Celine is a lot more technical and disciplined, and she employs the "mixing" technique to her upper belts, which allows her to belt in a higher range more freely since she is blending chest tone with an appropriate amount of head tone instead of pushing her chest voice all the way up. When Carrie gets up there, she tends to push past the passaggio (or "natural transition point" where the resonance switches from pure chest to a mix of chest and head) which causes her to raise her larynx and results in less ease, freedom, and tonal quality. That's why she doesn't sing up there often. Her approach of simply blasting through the notes is far more strenuous on the vocal cords and makes the pitches much more difficult to reach. Mixing or "middle voice" is actually a technique, and once a singer strengthens those natural transition points (or "passaggios") in their range through training and practice, they can actually manipulate how much chest vs. head they use in a blend. They can sing the exact same note in a more chest-dominant blend, a head-dominant blend, or a balanced blend in which the ratio of chest to head voice is virtually the same. It's such a beneficial technique for singers to master, not only in the interest of preserving their voices long-term, but in maximizing the potential of their full-voice range. It's why I've always wished Carrie took the time to master that technique. She'd be even more of a vocal beast than she already is.

Celine is also extremely anal about taking care of her voice. Not only does she do hours worth of vocal warmups before a big show or performance, but she's famously known to even forgo speaking for a full day prior to it!
    I wish Carrie would do that also, why not perfect what you have but better utilize it with how you mention....

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokyiiis View Post
    Well we have to see CRY PRETTY to number 1 first if the boys will let us. Country radio is even worse today than four years ago when it comes to playing the women.
    UMG better if push comes to shove.....
    rainbow1 likes this.

Not gonna lie, I love a good belting money note I am all for it. I find it peculiar that since Cry Pretty is packed full of money notes, that the rest of the album isn't about them? Not that I want an album full of money notes, but I just hope CP is placed ok in a tracklisting of songs with no belting? I personally am not as much of a fan of those real mellow songs (for me, that sometimes feel like they do not go anywhere...).

But overall I am excited for Carrie to be doing things not predictable for her.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by prettylittlemustang View Post
    In terms of mainstream and chart success, yes, she will. There will come a time when she’ll stop having hits. She’ll continue making music, but she won’t be at the top forever like she is now. No artist has ever stayed relevant the entire run of their working career.

Seem as though I can think of a few...McCartney, The Stones, Willie Nelson, Michael Jackson just four off the top of my head.

Concert Stars
    Thanks Simon and Melissa.

I would love to hear Carrie cover “All By Myself.” Celine’s regimen with her voice certainly works. She was doing some crazy vocal tricks on a French song and a couple of Prince covers. Hope Carrie takes care with hers as she gets older.
    txacar and rainbow1 like this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Carrie’s “Cry Pretty” named ‘Record Of The Week’ by BBC Radio 2! https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0b5xbqv

Quote Originally Posted by Triquetral View Post
    Not gonna lie, I love a good belting money note I am all for it. I find it peculiar that since Cry Pretty is packed full of money notes, that the rest of the album isn't about them? Not that I want an album full of money notes, but I just hope CP is placed ok in a tracklisting of songs with no belting? I personally am not as much of a fan of those real mellow songs (for me, that sometimes feel like they do not go anywhere...).

But overall I am excited for Carrie to be doing things not predictable for her.
    Actually, Carrie didn't say anything about the album songs sounding more "mellow". The word "mellow" was introduced in this thread, and has since been repeated a number of times, almost gaining a life of its own! What Carrie said was that the songs may sound more "raw", because her production experience has taught her not to overthink her delivery, in terms of going for a particular note. I take that to mean, greater spontaneity, greater confidence in relying on how she interpreted the passage on first take, less going for a particular, consciously planned effect. I don't see raw emotion as having any direct connection with a particular tempo, or a particular sound level - I feel raw emotion in CP in both the quieter intro passage, and in the long conclusion. The latter is forceful and loud, and shows vocal range - but it is less formally structured, less "stagy", and less conventional in terms of more formulaic vocal tours de force. But it is still a tour de force in terms of what the vocalist achieves, and the emotional intensity it conveys ("Mellow" it certainly isn't!). I'm sure that singing from the heart and soul and relying on emotional depth, with less secondary searching for production polish, is what Carrie meant, And I definitely think that there'll be variety on the album, but with the inclusion of several powerful deliveries.
    rcramer, rainbow1 and Triquetral like this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post
    Actually, Carrie didn't say anything about the album songs sounding more "mellow". The word "mellow" was introduced in this thread, and has since been repeated a number of times, almost gaining a life of its own! What Carrie said was that the songs may sound more "raw", because her production experience has taught her not to overthink her delivery, in terms of going for a particular note. I take that to mean, greater spontaneity, greater confidence in relying on how she interpreted the passage on first take, less going for a particular, consciously planned effect. I don't see raw emotion as having any direct connection with a particular tempo, or a particular sound level - I feel raw emotion in CP in both the quieter intro passage, and in the long conclusion. The latter is forceful and loud, and shows vocal range - but it is less formally structured, less "stagy", and less conventional in terms of more formulaic vocal tours de force. But it is still a tour de force in terms of what the vocalist achieves, and the emotional intensity it conveys ("Mellow" it certainly isn't!). I'm sure that singing from the heart and soul and relying on emotional depth, with less secondary searching for production polish, is what Carrie meant, And I definitely think that there'll be variety on the album, but with the inclusion of several powerful deliveries.
    I think you are spot on with your description of Carrie's use of the word raw. I mean, in general, when something is raw - it's cold, uncooked, etc. Don't they call them "cold" openings on shows like SNL that kind of just start without any introduction. I'm thinking that is what we are getting on this album. Maybe not in every song, but Carrie herself said they sometimes used the demo vocals instead of the studio vocals because she wasn't overthinking everything and trying to perfect it. It sounds like we're getting vocals that are cold/raw - not rehearsed, not perfected - just off the cuff first renditions of a song. I think it's going to make for some pretty amazing listening material, regardless of the tempo, range, or "power vocals". Yes, Carrie did say she didn't focus on going for the money notes, but that doesn't mean they aren't still there when they fit the song like CP.
    "Thank you for that ‘Captain Obvious’ sense of humor because you know what, we not only hit the high notes, you forgot to mention we generally hit the ‘right’ notes as well."
    -Kelly Clarkson to Scott Borchetta about American Idol artists
    Thanks so much Danielle!

I'am the only one who doesn't understand what "use the demo vocals" mean? Are we getting songs like the work tapes in the GH album? Lol I don't understand how that is going to work...

Quote Originally Posted by Momin View Post
    September is far but in the meantime, it would be nice if she performs some covers on some festivals before that. Perhaps to show more versatility and interpretation of unexpected songs.
    I certainly agree with this. Carrie's performances are very closely focused on her own album tracks (and especially on her past and present radio hits). This may be (or may be thought to be) what most fans expect or want - but it does risk linking her pretty closely to Music Row and the radio world, I think a little more variety and branching out would enable her to show greater stylistic range and variety, and also mark more strongly the extent to which she represents a stream of tradition within the genre. As it is, her covers have tended to be mainly associated with tributes (which casual listeners may be largely unaware of, or may soon forget - even though they can be among her best works). The Opry seems the obvious place to explore a wider repertoire (if only one song at each visit). For example, she gave her own seldom performed "Crazy Dreams" an outing there, and has covered Tammy Wynnette - but that sort of variety has been relatively rare. Her own current single is always an obvious inclusion - but, in addition, she seems to heavily rely on mainly repeating the same past hits from a relatively small list of favourites.

Bearing in mind time and rehearsal constraints, I would like her set lists to include a little more mixture of past album gems, classic Country songs, and an occasional sprinkling of surprise takes from unusual songs from elsewhere.
    rainbow1 likes this.

•