Like Tree36075Likes

Thread: Carrie Underwood 6 - Cry Pretty Era

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by jaks_weyn View Post
    That needs a screenshot!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#1 !!! Slay girl, slay!
    Claire2004, oldyfan, sd20 and 7 others like this.

We need a New screenshot
    oldyfan likes this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    ^ all genre?
    oldyfan likes this.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Oh sorry, was Too quick.. my bad.. they were talking about the country chart..

But I guess it's just a matter of time, lol!
    oldyfan likes this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by adam1995 View Post
    I LOVED those comparisons, and after they mentioned it I definitely could see Tammy Wynette singing this song (maybe not with the same production). She always seemed to be so poised and elegant, but sang these heartbreaking songs. And this song fits the mold. Carrie knocked it out of the park.

I really love this!
    Adam do you have a different link to this article? I've searched Billboard but can't find this article. I can find the other two that have been posted but not this one. Thanks!
    rainbow1 likes this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by DaisyTweets View Post
    Adam do you have a different link to this article? I've searched Billboard but can't find this article. I can find the other two that have been posted but not this one. Thanks!

"Carrie Underwood unleashes a pent-up wave of emotions on "Cry Pretty," the heart-swelling single that debuted early Wednesday morning (Apr. 11). The track, the first fans have heard from the country superstar since a scary fall outside her Nashville home in November that resulted in surgery for a broken wrist and more than 40 stitches in her face, is a raw, rousing ballad about how sometimes letting it all out is what your heart needs."I'm sorry, but I'm just a girl/ Not usually the kind to show my heart to the world/ I'm pretty good at keeping it together/ I hold my composure, for worse or for better," Underwood sings gently over a chugging guitar riff at the song's outset. As a pedal steel and light drums kick in, she apologizes if you don't like what you see, admitting that sometimes her emotions get the best of her and falling apart is, well, as human as it gets.

And then, less than a minute in, the chorus explodes with a tsunami of truth that just can't be contained. "You can't pretty lie and says it's okay/ You can't pretty smile, and just walk/ Pretty much make your way through anything/ But you can't cry... pretty." The classic country lament has the feeling of an instant standard, one that could have been sung by Tammy Wynette in the 1960s or Dolly Parton in the 1970s, but which feels uniquely suited to Underwood's recent personal turmoil as well.
    On Tuesday (Apr. 10), Underwood released an open letter to fans updating them on where she is physically, and emotionally, right now. "Physically, I'm doing pretty darn good these days!" Underwood wrote. "My wrist is almost back to normal, about 90% thereÖand the docs say that last 10% will come in time. And my face has been healing pretty nicely as well. I definitely feel more like myself than I have in a while." The singer has kept out of the public eye for the most part since the accident, avoiding full photographs of her face until recently and letting fans know that she might "look a bit different" after her treatment for facial injuries.

She also said the break from the public eye allowed her ample time to work on her as-yet-untitled sixth studio album and the single, which is not hard to read as a tale of daunting obstacles overcome from the singer whose glamorous, cover-worthy style is also part of her personal brand. "The title refers to when emotions take over and you just canít hold them back," Underwood wrote in the note about the song she co-wrote with Hillary Lindsey, Liz Rose and Lori McKenna. "It really speaks to a lot of things that have happened in the past year and I hope when you hear it, you can relate those feelings to those times in your life. Itís emotional. Itís real. And it ROCKS!"

And she wasn't bluffing. The four-minute song digs deep into the difficulty of "dressing up" heartache with fancy rhinestones and lace when all you want to do is break down and cry, building to a sky-high crescendo in the final minute, where Underwood unleashes the full, soulful power of her voice. In a gut-punch line that feels deeply autobiographical, Underwood sings that it doesn't matter if you're in a crowd, or home all alone, "It's all the same when you're looking in the mirror/ A picture of pain, so let it flow like a river."

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Concert Stars
    Now #2 All-Genre!
    hjj, maddkat, Marvin Poe and 10 others like this.

When do you think they will release music video?
    oldyfan likes this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    (Thinking of the handful of earlier posts I saw about initial professional reaction - I would regard Billy Dukes as both the more knowledgeable and the more influential, so if he's pleased, that could be a better clue to Mainstream reaction than some of the others)

This song is, frankly, not what I was expecting - particularly in the sense of production structure, and the degree of musical and vocal change, that I felt it might show. I'd prefer to hold off on that aspect until I've heard it performed live, and until I can see how it fits stylistically into the album as a whole.

What I'ld prefer try to do first is analyze how I see it lyrically and thematically.

Although they are obviously very different songs, I think the first vocal phrase, "I'm sorry", can be seen as a homage to Brenda Lee - the girl who brought Rockabilly into the Mainstream, and merged elements of it into the Nashville Sound. (Beyond that, though, I wouldn't use the stylistic term "Country Rock" to describe this song).

I like the way Hillary Lindsey (presumably) gives what can be seen as a lyrical nod to her earlier song "Men and Mascara". And I suspect that other words scattered through the song, such as Home and Rhinestones - ordinary enough in isolation - will be picked up by some listeners as references to familiar themes. In this genre, such verbal clues can be significant in establishing links to tradition.

The main theme, though, I see as a feminine reaction to the overwhelming pain of heartbreak. It's already been mentioned, earlier in the thread, that Jason Eady had a song out a year or so ago with the same title.
    In that song, obviously written from a male perspective, the key chorus lines were:
    "Has anybody ever told you, you sure cry pretty
    You stand tall - move with grace
    Has anybody ever told you, you sure cry pretty
    Your tears fall - don't leave a trace"

This song can be seen as something in the nature of an answer to that - the narrator starts off by affirming that she would have thought (preferred?) that she'd be that kind of girl, but sometimes the pain is just too great, and it's all going to break like a dam. For me, the most telling representation of that is the suggestion of hysteria in the latter part of the song, where Carrie, simply, but brokenly, sings "Oh, Oh, oh".

Someone here suggested that the song means that it's alright to let go - but while that is true, I also think it goes further and maintains that it's sometimes impossible not to let go. In that respect, I'd compare it to "Mama's Broken Heart", which I see as the most memorable of Shane McAnally's and Brandy Clark's collaborations this decade - but whereas that was centred on generational perspectives (suggested by the different ways Shane's mother and sister reacted to the latter's break up), and bolstered by Brandy's acute observations of the formal religious and social views of expected behaviour - this song takes a significantly different approach. While the culmination of the tension in MBH is the character's rage against the conventions that surround her and attempt to shape her life - CP centres on a more individual conflict between the character's own perceptions of herself, and the well of pain that has become too great to resist. (Both approaches seem to me to reflect differences in the personalities involved - to the extent that I'd have difficulty in seeing the two songs as interchangeable).
    pgk, rainbow1, Smokyiiis and 3 others like this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    oh my goodness ,an article in the WaPo about Carrie's face,lol
    get that promo anyway you can girl
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.416ecac85fa6

Quote Originally Posted by Jane-Alex View Post
    maybe next Friday?
    cmarieu, ethelu, rainbow1 and 2 others like this.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Jane-Alex View Post
    Maybe after the ACM Awards? Who knows? Would be a good way to promote.
    oldyfan and rainbow1 like this.

Concert Stars
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/...tty/506135002/

Carrie Underwood's new song 'Cry Pretty' is an emotional comeback

In Cry Pretty, Carrie Underwood's first new radio single since 2016, the country star wants her fans to know that even she ugly-cries now and again.

Underwood shared Cry Pretty ahead of her comeback performance at Sunday's ACM Awards, the singer's first appearance since suffering a fall in November, breaking her wrist and requiring 40-50 stitches on her face.

The track is a promising return for Underwood, featuring an enduring melody that's instantly more memorable than The Champion, her Super Bowl theme she released in January. For country music's unshakable sweetheart, Cry Pretty shows Underwood in full empowerment mode, even if she's not always in control of her emotions. Yet, her personal struggles add nuance to Cry Pretty's emotional songwriting, which otherwise might read as just a standard country ballad.

"And falling apart is as human as it gets / You can't hide it, you can't fight," Underwood sings before getting to the track's chorus: "You can pretty lie and say it's okay / You can pretty smile and just walk away / Pretty much fake your way through anything / But, you can't cry pretty."

In a letter to her fan club on Tuesday, Underwood revealed the title of Cry Pretty, dedicating the sng to the moments when "emotions take over and you just canít hold them back."
    "It really speaks to a lot of things that have happened in the past year and I hope when you hear it, you can relate those feelings to those times in your life," she wrote. "Itís emotional. Itís real. And it ROCKS!"

Ahead of Sunday's appearance, Underwood also said that physically she's "doing pretty darn good these days."

"My wrist is almost back to normal, about 90% thereÖand the docs say that last 10% will come in time. And my face has been healing pretty nicely as well."

After previously telling fans she may look "a bit different" due to the stitches, Underwood shared several pictures of her face to social media last week.

Cry Pretty is Underwood's first radio single since her 2016 song Dirty Laundry, and follows the promotional track The Champion she released in January for the Super Bowl.

#2 All genre! This time its true!
    judes, jaks_weyn, rainbow1 and 2 others like this.

Junior Carrie Follower
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by lilangel View Post
    #2 All genre! This time its true!
    Yes, and TC is at #9. Two Carrie singles in the top 10!
    jaks_weyn, ethelu, liz278 and 4 others like this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    thanks Donna for posting the article. I read that one guess I was so focused on the fact that they got the chorus of the song wrong in the article I didn't read pay attention to the rest of it!!!!

I need to concentrate on my reading comprehension skills!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Back to school for me!!!
    oldyfan likes this.

Insane Carrie Fan countrymusicfan15's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Ahhhh I love it!!!! Anyone else get Dolly I Will Always Love You vibes at the beginning??
    oldyfan likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by maddkat View Post
    maybe next Friday?
    thanks, though I hope its sooner.
    oldyfan likes this.

My iTunes chart must be slow or something cause Cry Pretty isn’t even in the top 100 in all genre

My has Drake at #1 Cardi B at #2 and Kenny Chesney at #3
    oldyfan likes this.

•