Page 109 of 514 FirstFirst ... 95999107108109110111119159209 ... LastLast
Results 2,161 to 2,180 of 10273
Like Tree36066Likes

Thread: Carrie Underwood 6 - Cry Pretty Era

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Suellen View Post
    Carrie also mentioned she wanted another song to be her first single (she didn’t mention the song she wanted), but the label wanted SB.
    Can you recall in which interview she said it? The details have faded from memory, but it always stuck with me that she didn't want SmB to be the lead single. Like I said above, over the years I've lost the context, but the intent behind her statement always seemed to stick with me. I'm glad you've rounded out the context a little bit although it would be nice to find the actual interview again.
    txacar likes this.
    "Thank you for that ‘Captain Obvious’ sense of humor because you know what, we not only hit the high notes, you forgot to mention we generally hit the ‘right’ notes as well."
    -Kelly Clarkson to Scott Borchetta about American Idol artists
    Thanks so much Danielle!

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Kizmet311 View Post
    Can you recall in which interview she said it? The details have faded from memory, but it always stuck with me that she didn't want SmB to be the lead single. Like I said above, over the years I've lost the context, but the intent behind her statement always seemed to stick with me. I'm glad you've rounded out the context a little bit although it would be nice to find the actual interview again.
    I don’t remember either, but I do remember reading the article.
    txacar and Kizmet311 like this.

Insane Carrie Fan
    We could still get something by summer. It could be deep in the album making process. If she started recording in early January, I would find it hard to believe that almost 3 months later she would still be recording. Plus, like someone said earlier, she's headlining CMA Fest, I can't imagine she wouldn't at least have a new single by then. I of course could be wrong. I just hope I'm not. : )

Junior Carrie Follower SpringsCarrieFan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Good to hear some kind of news on the new album. At least we know it's being worked on. I'm looking forward to it.

I need something fresh, to be honest. Mark Bright's production choices are solid at best. C+/B-
    And solid is not enough to take Carrie to new heights.

At 6th album, it's time to explore even more. Don't go back into the comfort zone of Album 1-3.

Jay Joyce's production choices were by far more interesting. Don't blame him for Smoke Break. He wasn't the one who wrote or chose the song lol.

Speaking of freshness, I'd prefer less Hillary Lindsey too....
    hjj and Claire2004 like this.

hjj
    Insane Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Yeah I do not need another Hillary Lindsey album.

Obsessed Carrie Fan

Quote Originally Posted by HuiZ View Post
    I need something fresh, to be honest. Mark Bright's production choices are solid at best. C+/B-
    And solid is not enough to take Carrie to new heights.

At 6th album, it's time to explore even more. Don't go back into the comfort zone of Album 1-3.

Jay Joyce's production choices were by far more interesting. Don't blame him for Smoke Break. He wasn't the one who wrote or chose the song lol.

Speaking of freshness, I'd prefer less Hillary Lindsey too....
    Why would Carrie work with someone else when what she has going with Mark Bright has worked so well in the past?You know the saying,”If it ain’t broke,don’t fix it?” Why would Carrie risk working with a producer who’s never heard her music or someone that she’s never worked with before?It doesn’t make sense to me to risk working with someone that doesn’t know how her creative process works.I really don’t think any of us on this board have any say on what producers she works with on this album.I think at this point in her career,she knows what works for her as far as producers go & it seems to me that Mark Bright meshes well with how Carrie works creatively & musically.Its really not up to any of us who she works with on this album.What do you mean solid isn’t enough to Carrie to new heights?Like I just said,it’s really not up to any of us who Carrie chooses to produce her albums.We can say all we want about his past production choices,but at the end of the day,that decision is Carrie’s to make & her decision alone.Last time I counted when I looked on Wikipedia,she had helped co-write over 60+ songs of Carrie’s & maybe more that we don’t know of.Why mess with the success that Carrie’s had with her?She knows how Carrie thinks,how Carrie works creatively & how Carrie wants her songs to sound.I just don’t really get why anyone on here would have a problem with her writing with Carrie.Its not really up to any of us who she writes with for this album.Just my opinion,that’s all.

hjj
    Insane Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    As Carrie told one of new girls that you always have to change/reinvent yourself to continue success or stay relevant.
    maddkat likes this.

Hil
    I do need another Hillary Lindsey album. LOVE HER. Most of my favorite cuts are from her. Not to say other writers aren't welcome, but look at the number one's Carrie has with her. I'm also not saying Carrie should't branch out, but she gives us songs like Dirty Laundry, Church Bells..wasted, JTTW. I mean, the list goes on and on. It's not like all her songs sound exactly the same?!

On another note, it sounds like it's going to be a while until we get the new album.

Insane Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrieslegs84 View Post
    Why would Carrie work with someone else when what she has going with Mark Bright has worked so well in the past?You know the saying,”If it ain’t broke,don’t fix it?” Why would Carrie risk working with a producer who’s never heard her music or someone that she’s never worked with before?It doesn’t make sense to me to risk working with someone that doesn’t know how her creative process works.I really don’t think any of us on this board have any say on what producers she works with on this album.I think at this point in her career,she knows what works for her as far as producers go & it seems to me that Mark Bright meshes well with how Carrie works creatively & musically.Its really not up to any of us who she works with on this album.What do you mean solid isn’t enough to Carrie to new heights?Like I just said,it’s really not up to any of us who Carrie chooses to produce her albums.We can say all we want about his past production choices,but at the end of the day,that decision is Carrie’s to make & her decision alone.Last time I counted when I looked on Wikipedia,she had helped co-write over 60+ songs of Carrie’s & maybe more that we don’t know of.Why mess with the success that Carrie’s had with her?She knows how Carrie thinks,how Carrie works creatively & how Carrie wants her songs to sound.I just don’t really get why anyone on here would have a problem with her writing with Carrie.Its not really up to any of us who she writes with for this album.Just my opinion,that’s all.
    It's good to branch out and try new things.

Plus, who ever said she should work with someone who has never heard of her?

These are only wishes, please stop telling us that we have no control over Carrie or her career. We all know that, and have come to accept that sad fact.
    HuiZ likes this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Carrie worked with Dan Huff/Mark Bright for Some Hearts. They probably weren't her choice since she didn't know what she was doing back then, but basically Huff produced the "pop" half of SH and Bright produced the "country" half. Then Carrie stayed with Mark Brighter for CR, PO, and BA (with a couple of minor one song producers like Quitter or WAY, I think). Obviously, for ST, Carrie wanted to shake things up a bit. Yes, she stayed with Mark Bright for some of the songs, but out of 13 songs, he only produced 5 and only had one single from the album (CB). Zach Crowell had two songs with HB and Relapse, with one of those becoming a single. However, Jay Joyce really seems to have been main creative catalyst behind Carrie's sound on ST, as he produced 6 songs and had 2 of the singles (SmB & DL). He also produced the fan (and Carrie) favorite CCA, as well as fan fave Chaser and LINLYA. I give Jay Joyce the major credit for most of what was good about ST.

So, based on the tweet, we know that it appears Carrie is working with Mark Bright again for CU6; otherwise, he wouldn't know anything about the album. What we don't know is whether he is producing 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 songs or might just be helping to pull it all together, even though other producers might be involved with individual songs. I think what most are saying (and I agree with) is that Jay Joyce really helped produce the best songs on ST and really helped Carrie push her artistry farther, so we would really like to see him back as a producer for CU6 for as many songs as Carrie would like to do with him. I personally would like to see her go further in the direction of DL, CCA, Chaser, and LINLYA, rather than what the other producers did with ST. We're not saying Carrie needs to work with anyone she isn't comfortable with, but she has already worked with Jay Joyce and gotten excellent results, so why not do it again?

As for Hillary Lindsay, I don't have a particular opinion on whether she uses more or less of her songs or co-writes - I just hope that the ones she does use are on the higher caliber end of the spectrum of Lindsay songs. Lindsay co-wrote RR, DL, CB, LINLYA, Chaser, and TGYTIA, which includes ALL of my favorite songs from ST (except CCA), so I will certainly welcome her back with open arms. However, she also co-wrote some songs that I don't think are the best like CDS, so that's why I said I only want the BEST of Hilary Lindsay co-writes.
    MSCarriefan, Hil, txacar and 1 others like this.
    "Thank you for that ‘Captain Obvious’ sense of humor because you know what, we not only hit the high notes, you forgot to mention we generally hit the ‘right’ notes as well."
    -Kelly Clarkson to Scott Borchetta about American Idol artists
    Thanks so much Danielle!

Obsessed Carrie Fan MSCarriefan's Avatar
    ^Agre with this! I feel like Carrie is always going to loyal to Mark Bright and Hillary Lindsey. Both have basically been with Carrie from the beginning of this whole journey. With the new record label and the direction she went with ST, I expect her to branch out and write with different people (I really hope with the Love Junkies. I remember she followed all 3 on social media last year) and also work with different producers. We really have no clue what is up to this time other than Mark Bright producing some...lol I am just excited to see what she has in store.

Obsessed Carrie Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Hil View Post
    I do need another Hillary Lindsey album. LOVE HER. Most of my favorite cuts are from her. Not to say other writers aren't welcome, but look at the number one's Carrie has with her. I'm also not saying Carrie should't branch out, but she gives us songs like Dirty Laundry, Church Bells..wasted, JTTW. I mean, the list goes on and on. It's not like all her songs sound exactly the same?!

On another note, it sounds like it's going to be a while until we get the new album.
    I agree with you on Hillary Lindsey,Hil!!Most of my favorite Carrie songs have come from her,& last time I counted on Wikipedia,she has written over 60+ songs for & partly with Carrie & probably more that we don’t even know about.Why change such a successful songwriting partnership with Carrie when it’s worked out so well for the both of them with all of the #1s they have had together?As the saying goes,”If it ain’t broke,don’t fix it”. Why try to fix something that isn’t broken?

Obsessed Carrie Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Kizmet311 View Post
    Carrie worked with Dan Huff/Mark Bright for Some Hearts. They probably weren't her choice since she didn't know what she was doing back then, but basically Huff produced the "pop" half of SH and Bright produced the "country" half. Then Carrie stayed with Mark Brighter for CR, PO, and BA (with a couple of minor one song producers like Quitter or WAY, I think). Obviously, for ST, Carrie wanted to shake things up a bit. Yes, she stayed with Mark Bright for some of the songs, but out of 13 songs, he only produced 5 and only had one single from the album (CB). Zach Crowell had two songs with HB and Relapse, with one of those becoming a single. However, Jay Joyce really seems to have been main creative catalyst behind Carrie's sound on ST, as he produced 6 songs and had 2 of the singles (SmB & DL). He also produced the fan (and Carrie) favorite CCA, as well as fan fave Chaser and LINLYA. I give Jay Joyce the major credit for most of what was good about ST.

So, based on the tweet, we know that it appears Carrie is working with Mark Bright again for CU6; otherwise, he wouldn't know anything about the album. What we don't know is whether he is producing 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 songs or might just be helping to pull it all together, even though other producers might be involved with individual songs. I think what most are saying (and I agree with) is that Jay Joyce really helped produce the best songs on ST and really helped Carrie push her artistry farther, so we would really like to see him back as a producer for CU6 for as many songs as Carrie would like to do with him. I personally would like to see her go further in the direction of DL, CCA, Chaser, and LINLYA, rather than what the other producers did with ST. We're not saying Carrie needs to work with anyone she isn't comfortable with, but she has already worked with Jay Joyce and gotten excellent results, so why not do it again?

As for Hillary Lindsay, I don't have a particular opinion on whether she uses more or less of her songs or co-writes - I just hope that the ones she does use are on the higher caliber end of the spectrum of Lindsay songs. Lindsay co-wrote RR, DL, CB, LINLYA, Chaser, and TGYTIA, which includes ALL of my favorite songs from ST (except CCA), so I will certainly welcome her back with open arms. However, she also co-wrote some songs that I don't think are the best like CDS, so that's why I said I only want the BEST of Hilary Lindsay co-writes.
    After thinking about it,I guess I wouldn’t have a problem with Jay Joyce if Carrie chose to work with him again,seeing as he produced one of my favorite songs off of Storyteller,Dirty Laundry.Seeing that he did push her artistry farther,I guess it couldn’t hurt to see what results he could get from Carrie if she did choose to end up working with him this time around as well.I also have no problem with Carrie using Hillary Lindsey again as well for the songwriting,seeing as she’s had so much success with writing songs for Carrie & that their writing partnership has produced some of Carrie’s biggest hits.I also hope that they are only the best Hillary Lindsey cowrites as well.

Concert Stars
    After thinking about it,I guess I wouldn’t have a problem with Jay Joyce if Carrie chose to work with him again,seeing as he produced one of my favorite songs off of Storyteller,Dirty Laundry.Seeing that he did push her artistry farther,I guess it couldn’t hurt to see what results he could get from Carrie if she did choose to end up working with him this time around as well.I also have no problem with Carrie using Hillary Lindsey again as well for the songwriting,seeing as she’s had so much success with writing songs for Carrie & that their writing partnership has produced some of Carrie’s biggest hits.I also hope that they are only the best Hillary Lindsey cowrites as well.
    Hillary has written some of my favorites, as well. The following list is just Carrie, but I love "Blue Ain't Your Color" and "Girl Crush." The best of Hillary Lindsey is wonderful.

Carrie Underwood "Chaser"
    "Church Bells"
    "Clock Don't Stop"
    "Dirty Laundry"
    "Do You Think About Me"
    "Forever Changed"
    "Get Out of this Town"
    "The Girl You Think I Am"
    "Good in Goodbye"
    "Jesus, Take the Wheel"
    "Just a Dream"
    "Keep Us Safe"
    "Last Name"
    "Leave Love Alone"
    "Like I'll Never Love You Again"
    "Little Girl Don't Grow Up Too Fast"
    "Little Toy Guns"
    "Nobody Ever Told You"
    "Renegade Runaway"
    "See You Again"
    "Smoke Break"
    "So Small"
    "Someday When I Stop Loving You"
    "Starts With Goodbye"
    "Thank God for Hometowns"
    "There's a Place for Us"
    "This Time"
    "Twisted"
    "Two Black Cadillacs"
    "Unapologize"
    "Wasted"
    "What I Never Knew I Always Wanted"
    "Wheel of the World"
    Hil, ethelu, DaisyTweets and 4 others like this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Suellen View Post
    Carrie also mentioned she wanted another song to be her first single (she didn’t mention the song she wanted), but the label wanted SB.
    I don't recall the interview - it's possible that it was a radio interview, which, if so, might be hard to find again (unless a fan has archived it).

(Personally, I hope the unnamed song was not RR, as I see that as stylistically rather a throw back to some of her mid-period hits, which would have risked sounding rather dated, and, in my opinion, wouldn't have been representative of what was more adventurous about the album).

I don't want to prolong this aspect of the discussion too much - but these are a couple reminders of what else she has said about SmB:

The "behind the scenes" video:

And this interview
    https://parade.com/431296/beverlykee...ds-her-breath/

(The most significant passage in the above, relating SmB and new production choices to the album concept is on page 2:

"If that’s not enough, the woman whom her manager, Ann Edelblute, says “has guts of steel” also deviated from her normal production process to make her new album, Storyteller. She selected new producers—Jay Joyce and Zach Crowell—as well as longtime producer Mark Bright. “It was important for me to shake things up,” Underwood says.

The album is more traditional country than her past projects, she says, but still remains fresh. “It has more twang to it, but in a very now kind of way.” Joyce produced the album’s debut single, “Smoke Break,” which Underwood says is very representative of the album’s overall feel.

“Jay Joyce is a great producer and he does everything way different than I am used to,” she says. “He would give me some vocal effects thing or something he found at a garage sale. He had me singing through a bullhorn at times. It seems like crazy stuff when you are in it, but he is excited about it and you trust him. And, hey, I am the one who wanted to shake things up. ”

On the basis of such comments, I really do feel that Carrie wanted SmB to be a single for that era (even if not the lead single). She seems to have invested too much into the performance of that song, and what it had to say (both thematically, and in the sense of an aspect of her stylistic presentation that she wanted to demonstrate)

I know she isn't going to get rid of Mark and Hillary all together. I would love for Carrie to work with some new people as well. When she tried it worked out well. I wish we could hear something, anything about the new music. Lol
    txacar, Carrieslegs84 and hjj like this.

Someone (Farawayhills?) posted about Carrie valuing loyalty, and I agree with that. I too don’t think Carrie will ever completely cut off Mark Bright and Hillary Lindsey from her creative group, and I wouldn’t want her to, especially if she’s comfortable working with them. I do hope that she’s found the right balance between working with her usual collaborators and branching out to work with new ones. I am hoping for involvement of other producers, as well as cuts from unexpected songwriters. Also, how about a duet with someone unexpected? Love Keith Urban and Brad Paisley, but I want a duet with someone that she hasn't worked with before.

The last 2 albums have been Hillary Lindsey-heavy in terms of cowrites, and I am conflicted on whether I want that to continue or not. My knee-jerk reaction is to wish for less Lindsey songs. However, when I think about it, these last 2 albums that I am referring to (Blown Away and Storyteller) that are dominated by Hillary songs are my favorites, while the album with a significantly fewer Hillary songs (Play On) is at the bottom of my list. Plus my top favorite song from that least favorite album is a Lindsey cowrite (Someday When I Stop Loving You). LOL

Sorry for my rambling. It helps ease the torture of waiting for the new album lol.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    ^ I agree on Hillary Lindsey. She was involved in some of my absolute favourite Carrie songs (e.g SWISLY; LINLYA). She has also written strong songs not sung by Carrie (e.g "The Clown", which she recorded herself, on an album for the 4H clubs; and "Shut Up Train - I'll always admire the stark emotion Karen Fairchild put into that song). There's also the fact that she's sung backing vocals on every one of Carrie's major albums (and there's a part of me that wants sweet little traditions like that to continue, lol)

But I have to admit that her output can be variable - not all her songs for or with Carrie have been among those I'd consider Carrie's strongest tracks. So I would want her to be included - but at the same time, not dominating.

I agree that Carrie could benefit from being more adventurous in her choice of writers - she made a good move in that direction by going for a solo write (CCA) by Jason White (who has a background in Austin, as well as Nashville, and has a reputation for songs that push the Mainstream boundaries).
    One aspect of Storyteller that I'd been hoping for was a greater range of women writers. LINLYA, by the three strongly admired Love Junkies was the stellar pick - but (although they didn't prove to be my favourite tracks) I also commend her for picking cuts by Sara Haze (Relapse), and Kat Higgins (Mexico) - both of whom have sung on the Song Suffragettes' concerts. I hope Carrie continues to cast her net in similar ways for the next album
    Claire2004, txacar, Hil and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire2004 View Post
    Someone (Farawayhills?) posted about Carrie valuing loyalty, and I agree with that. I too don’t think Carrie will ever completely cut off Mark Bright and Hillary Lindsey from her creative group, and I wouldn’t want her to, especially if she’s comfortable working with them. I do hope that she’s found the right balance between working with her usual collaborators and branching out to work with new ones. I am hoping for involvement of other producers, as well as cuts from unexpected songwriters. Also, how about a duet with someone unexpected? Love Keith Urban and Brad Paisley, but I want a duet with someone that she hasn't worked with before.

The last 2 albums have been Hillary Lindsey-heavy in terms of cowrites, and I am conflicted on whether I want that to continue or not. My knee-jerk reaction is to wish for less Lindsey songs. However, when I think about it, these last 2 albums that I am referring to (Blown Away and Storyteller) that are dominated by Hillary songs are my favorites, while the album with a significantly fewer Hillary songs (Play On) is at the bottom of my list. Plus my top favorite song from that least favorite album is a Lindsey cowrite (Someday When I Stop Loving You). LOL

Sorry for my rambling. It helps ease the torture of waiting for the new album lol.
    I'd say Play On wasn't a good example. That might not work, but it also shouldn't mean automatically retreating back into comfort zone of Mark Bright/Hillary Lindsey all the time. Play On era was when she was still trying to stay safe and wasn't bold enough to try something new creatively yet.

I don't want her to just focus on retaining a safe level of commercial success. At the moment, I feel that her materials are still behind her level of talent. They can be better. So much better than what Mark Bright has to offer.

She's not young anymore, it's important to continue to reinvent herself.
    maddkat likes this.

•