• 12 Post By knewman19

Thread: My Jacksonville Review- Jan 30th, 2016

Concert Stars

My Jacksonville Review- Jan 30th, 2016

The Storyteller Tour: Opening Night Review
    January 30th, 2016
    By: Kayla

The Stage:

Make no mistake when you first enter the arena for the Storyteller Tour the thing that catches your eye will be the massive stage located in the center of the arena. I have been to every Carrie tour since the Carnival Ride tour and without a doubt this has to be her best stage yet. No matter where you sit in the arena you have the best view in the house! (FYI if you have general admission seats she spends equal time on all of what we will call the three quadrants of the stage: center, left and right. Nearly everyone in general admission stood at the end of the stage farthest from the tunnel that leads to the stage and that allowed a few of general admission ticket holders to have endless room to dance and have a ball where they were standing while you had to stand 20 deep with no where to go…. spread out… she never stops moving.) The stage did have its draw backs but that relates solely to the opening acts and how they chose to use the stage which I will go through with each act.

Stars: 5/5

The Swon Brothers:

The first of two opening acts and definitely the weaker of the two. It would be their choices of how to use the stage that truly made me not take anything away from their performance. They sang fine and attempted interact with the crowd but they choose to not make use of the stage’s ability to move and placed themselves and their band facing one way limiting what they called in their terms “the back of the arena” from seeing and truly enjoying their set. I didn’t enjoy watching only one singer move and interact with the crowd while watching the remaining member of the duo and bands’ backs. They seemed to forget that Carrie’s intention of this stage was to give all seats in the arena the best view in the house and it showed in their performance.

Time on stage: 19 minutes
    Songs sang: 5 (1 cover)
    Stars: 2/5

Easton Corbin:

I will be honest when it was announced that Easton Corbin would be joining Carrie on this tour I was like blah… And to be honest that is how I felt during his set. I am not truly a fan of his but I will say he was much more enjoyable than The Swon Brothers. One thing he did much better was in his choice to use the stage to his advantage. He also placed his band at the center of the stage however he choose to use the hydraulics of the stage and have his band rotating during the set to give everyone a view as if the were in the best seat in the house. My only complaint with his stage choice was to place the band all facing the same way (as you will see this is why Carrie’s use of the stage was great… there was always someone facing you during her set) so at times you were staring at the backs of his band. Easton himself choose to move around the stage for his entire set spending equal time with each end of the stage. He sounded fine and interacted well with the crowd but again I am not a Easton Corbin fan so his set was just whatever for me.

Time on stage: 38 minutes
    Songs Sang: 8 or 9… I lost count
    Stars 3/5 (for use of stage)

Quick side note: For The Swon Brothers and Easton Corbin you saw the stage hands moving and removing equipment for their sets. Carrie’s stage is revealed somewhat after Easton’s set as the stage hands removed piece by piece the overlaying stage that the opening acts use to reveal Carrie’s bands equipment which you can see is located on a hydraulic stage that will lower and raise the band depending on the song. The band is set up in a circle around the center of the stage where Carrie enters and exits meaning someone is always facing you during the show.

Carrie Underwood:

The star of the show!! What more is there to say than that?? Okay well of course there is more to say but that pretty much sums it up for everyone….. WHAT A SHOW SHE GAVE US!!! From the very beginning you get to see the true power of the stage and her uses of it to interact with the crowd and further show off her vocal talents. (FYI Her hair right now makes her look better than she ever has and they is saying a lot for a woman who always looks great.) To better explain her set I am going to go down her setlist and give you my thoughts with each song:

1. Renegade Runaway- What an opening!! And finally we get to see this awesome stage put to use! She comes out from the center portion of the stage and is lifted to soar above the stage and peer out over the audience. Right from the moment she is seen the party never stops and RR was a great choice to open the show with.
    2. Last Name/ Something Bad- Last Name seems to be a staple at Carrie’s concert and while I may sometimes wish she would change it up I can see quickly that when she mixes it up with Something Bad it will be a crowd favorite and they are two songs that gel together easily. It is at this point she begins to move from one end of the stage to the other and gets up close with the fans.
    3. Undo It- Not my favorite Carrie song but it is an easy one to be able to get the crowd into. Instead of having the crowd sing the na na’s as Carrie says this time she has the crowd actually sing parts of the song.
    4. Good Girl- The opener from the Blown Away tour Goof Girl fits nicely into the opening act of her set and continues the high tempo set by the three previous songs and keeps the crowd at a high tempo.
    5. Church Bells- As the final song of the opening act I felt maybe the song would have fit better a little later in the show with BA, TBC, DL and CCA but again the tempo of the song kept the crowd into it and standing on their feet. It was also nice to get more of the Storyteller songs after a few oldies.
    6. Cowboy Casanova- The first song of act two and Carrie once again rise from the center of the stage (as she will with each act) but this time she is atop a jukebox. She stays stationary for this song but the stage rotates to give the entire arena a view at her for s portion of the song.
    7. Heartbeat- Raised up once again to sing over the crowd this time however on one of the two ends. This was probably the best vie in the house for the few people in GA who stood toward this end… I noticed many couples dancing together having a great time.
    8. Jesus Take the Wheel- A classic and as beautiful as always. You could here the crowd singing along very loudly at this point.
    9. Wasted- An all time favorite! So glad she continues to sing this in concert.
    10. Blown Away- The lead in the BA threw me a bit thinking it would be another song but nope it was BA. Sung at the center of the stage and she had white flowing ribbons surrounding the stage that gives you a feeling of tornados.
    11. Two Black Cadillacs- Truck and Engine Sounds helped to really bring out the darkness of the song.
    12. Dirty Laundry- Continued to carry the uptempo fun of this act while carrying the darker theme of the act as well. Fun!
    13. Choctaw County Affair- THE HARMONICA!! Her harmonica solos were by far my favorite moments in the entire show… holy moly girl work it!! What a stompin’ good time!
    14. I Will Always Love You- BEAUTIFUL!!! Much more Dolly than Whitney and I am so glad… such a beautiful moment that really brought the beauty of her voice home.
    15. What I Never Knew I Always Wanted- For everyone that complains there are only ever pictures of the back of Isaiah’s head well no more…. a back to back moment with IWALY that really moves you.
    16. Fishin' in the Dark- Duet with The Swon Brothers and Easton Corbin… not my favorite moment but the audience enjoyed it.
    17. Clocks Don’t Stop- My best fried who was with me was glad to hear this one as it is her favorite off the new album but I would have preferred Chaser, Relapse, or Mexico over this one.
    18. All American Girl- Another sing along with the crowd. Carrie once again moved from end to end to interact with the crowd. Not a stand out song for me so maybe one to be replaced in the future.
    19. Little Toy Guns- Soon to be Carrie’s next Grammy winner (Hopefully!)
    20. Before He Cheats- I am sad to say but I didn’t even notice it was missing before she started to sing. Maybe it has been that I have seen it so many times that I was more worried about the new ones. Once again a fun one to get the crowd singing along. Always the crowd pleaser.
    21. Smoke Break- The first of two encore songs. Once again Carrie takes the reigns with playing the guitar and it shows. Not my favorite moment of the show but still as fun as ever.
    22. Something in the Water- I was surprised but so happy she choose to close with SITW over SM… The “rain” was a gorgeous effect that made the entire song even more beautiful. One of my all time favorites of Carrie’s.

Time on Stage: 1 hour and 50 minutes (give or take 1 or 2 minutes)
    Songs: 22
    Stars: 5/5

Overall thoughts: Carrie was and is the star and as I write this she has once again been snubbed for awards by her peers and they have nobody to blame but themselves when they get called out for it because she is simply the best. Maybe she can change up the opening acts before the second leg. I would like to maybe see someone like Cam open for Carrie.

Overall Rating of entire show: 4/5 (needs better openers) but Carrie is a 5/5!

Concert Stars
    Nice! So you were in the GA area? My tickets will be in the more crowded area of the GA like you said. I'm worried about getting their early enough to get right to the front of the fence. Any suggestions?

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by GagaUnderwood View Post
    Nice! So you were in the GA area? My tickets will be in the more crowded area of the GA like you said. I'm worried about getting their early enough to get right to the front of the fence. Any suggestions?
    Sorry no I wasn't in GA. However, everyone seemed to stay near the end where the DJ prior to the show was and not near the tunnel to the stage. Stand on that side if you can as she spends equal time there throughout the show.

hjj
    Insane Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Thanks for posting. It sounds like a great show.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by knewman19 View Post
    Sorry no I wasn't in GA. However, everyone seemed to stay near the end where the DJ prior to the show was and not near the tunnel to the stage. Stand on that side if you can as she spends equal time there throughout the show.
    The show that I was at divided the GA into four sections. So I don't think I'll be able to move sadly.

Carrie Guru
    Thanks for the live tweets and thanks for the awesome review. You're really good at writing.

I'm glad you mentioned about her spending equal amounts of time on all three stages. I've been trying to decide if I should give up the first row seats I have at the far end stage (opposite of the mix board) or the seats in middle of the arena but in the 19th row. What would you do?

Btw, I totally agree about SITW. It's funny but when I first heard SITW, I wished she had dialed back on the Amazing Grace part. Now it's clear that it was meant to be as powerful as she sings it.

•