Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 69
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Website and Server Issues Thread

  1. #41
    Carrie Guru
    Kizmet311's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Carrie Land
    Posts
    11,773
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by john1987 View Post
    something keeps trying to download when i check this site but my antivirus keeps blocking it and says it's not safe. just started happening today
    Could you go up a couple posts and see if the link Donna shared would help you? Is it an Apple product that you are using to connect (iPhone, iPad, etc)? I think these are isolated, user specific incidents, not something that is site-wide as I am not having any issues when I come to Carrie Fans. I seem to have similar problems on my iPhone all the time when trying to read articles and such on websites.
    "Thank you for that ‘Captain Obvious’ sense of humor because you know what, we not only hit the high notes, you forgot to mention we generally hit the ‘right’ notes as well."
    -Kelly Clarkson to Scott Borchetta about American Idol artists
    Thanks so much Danielle!

  • #42
    Obsessed Carrie Fan john1987's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Posts
    1,299
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Kizmet311 View Post
    Could you go up a couple posts and see if the link Donna shared would help you? Is it an Apple product that you are using to connect (iPhone, iPad, etc)? I think these are isolated, user specific incidents, not something that is site-wide as I am not having any issues when I come to Carrie Fans. I seem to have similar problems on my iPhone all the time when trying to read articles and such on websites.
    no i'm not using an apple product. and i just got the same pop up right as i was typing this.

    edit: it's happening on firefox and google chrome

  • #43
    Carrie Guru
    maddkat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    20,619
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by john1987 View Post
    no i'm not using an apple product. and i just got the same pop up right as i was typing this.

    edit: it's happening on firefox and google chrome
    have you run an adware cleaner on your pc? Might have some kind of adware that snuck on your PC.
    https://www.malwarebytes.com/adwcleaner/ is a good free one

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  • #44
    Obsessed Carrie Fan john1987's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Posts
    1,299
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by maddkat View Post
    have you run an adware cleaner on your pc? Might have some kind of adware that snuck on your PC.
    https://www.malwarebytes.com/adwcleaner/ is a good free one
    yeah that is the one i use. and i ran it right after it happened. who knows maybe my antivirus was just acting up or something lol. thanks for trying i appreciate it

  • #45
    Carrie Guru thaifood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    On Spaceship Earth
    Posts
    13,057
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by john1987 View Post
    something keeps trying to download when i check this site but my antivirus keeps blocking it and says it's not safe. just started happening today
    Same thing is happening to me.
    rainbow1 likes this.

  • #46
    Carrie Guru thaifood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    On Spaceship Earth
    Posts
    13,057
    Concert Stars
    I keep getting a warning for something called allfontshere.com....Maybe it is a banner ad that is infected or something?
    rainbow1 likes this.

  • #47
    Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    England
    Posts
    6,388
    I use open source, and my version of Firefox has given warnings about the site on log-in for quite a long time (several months) - if you're interested in what they say, this is the address:
    https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...urce=inproduct

    As I see it (only personal advice, given without any guarantee of completeness or accuracy), the problem appears to arise from the site not using a more recent secure internet web address protocol (with a web address beginning "https"), but still using the older, less secure "http". This could mean that if the site is poorly scripted, or if it links to advertising sites which are accidentally or deliberately scripted in a way that allowed people to harvest log-in information, eavesdroppers could pick up users' passwords or web addresses.

    Theoretically, this could allow other people, or web robots, to post bogus messages in the name of genuine users - but that is more likely to be an issue on mass-use social media sites, than on a fan site with only a few score regular posters.
    (Again, speaking personally) I would only see it as a potential problem for most people, if they:
    A Use the site to post credit card information (unlikely to apply, here)
    B Use the same password here that they use on other, more sensitive, sites (could apply - but not recommended practice in any case)
    C Use a computer which has no effective protection against malware (getting rarer these days, as the need for protection has been widely publicized, and often sold with new computers)

    If any of those apply, it would be wise to change the practice - if it doesn't apply, it's pretty likely you could go on using the site safely (but at your own risk, of course) - as I have done
    rainbow1 likes this.

  • #48
    Carrie Guru
    Kizmet311's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Carrie Land
    Posts
    11,773
    Concert Stars
    Thank you everyone. Due to the number of complaints, I have alerted Chris to the security issues. I also copied and shared with him Faraway's post above.
    rainbow1 likes this.
    "Thank you for that ‘Captain Obvious’ sense of humor because you know what, we not only hit the high notes, you forgot to mention we generally hit the ‘right’ notes as well."
    -Kelly Clarkson to Scott Borchetta about American Idol artists
    Thanks so much Danielle!

  • #49
    Carrie Guru Claire2004's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    the library. lol
    Posts
    11,060
    For the past several days, I keep getting these messages on top of the page: "This webpage was reloaded because a problem occurred", and "This webpage was reloaded because it is using significant energy."

    I'm using Safari on my MacBook. Web page keeps getting reloaded. I only get this from this website but not from other sites.

  • #50
    Ultimate Carrie Fan txacar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    7,093
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire2004 View Post
    For the past several days, I keep getting these messages on top of the page: "This webpage was reloaded because a problem occurred", and "This webpage was reloaded because it is using significant energy."

    I'm using Safari on my MacBook. Web page keeps getting reloaded. I only get this from this website but not from other sites.
    I get the same thing on my MacBook Air. I had just installed an upgrade and thought that was the reason. Lol, thanks for posting this.
    Claire2004 likes this.

  • #51
    Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    England
    Posts
    6,388
    I don't use Apple, but I would guess that this is being done because a particular page, or another application, is using too much of the memory (RAM) or processing power (CPU) available in your computer - which could soon make it run very slowly, or even crash.

    (Some web pages could cause this overload, because the scripts on them are continually recalling off-site advertising pages, which may be overloaded with animated gifs, video or audio clips, or try to reach yet other pages, eventually ballooning out of control. However some background applications on your own computer can also cause overload - I think Google Docs, for example, has suffered from this problem, if you use that)

    I think including this feature in recent Apple/Safari upgrades was well-intentioned, but it seems to have had unexpected results. There is a page here discussing it - but as I don't use that operating system, I can't say how much of this might help
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8111881
    Claire2004 and txacar like this.

  • #52
    Carrie Guru thaifood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    On Spaceship Earth
    Posts
    13,057
    Concert Stars
    Glad to see I am still getting all those error messages. I thought someone would have considered looking into the problem. Nope, same old, same old. The status is quo.

  • #53
    Carrie Guru
    Kizmet311's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Carrie Land
    Posts
    11,773
    Concert Stars
    No need for sarcasm. They are looking into the problem. I need people to give me examples of what exactly is happening, screen shots would be best. I don't have the problems, so I can't accurately explain it to Chris's tech guy. Chris is good about responding to myself and Donna when we need to, but this is not a universal problem, it is only happening to some users.
    maddkat and rainbow1 like this.
    "Thank you for that ‘Captain Obvious’ sense of humor because you know what, we not only hit the high notes, you forgot to mention we generally hit the ‘right’ notes as well."
    -Kelly Clarkson to Scott Borchetta about American Idol artists
    Thanks so much Danielle!

  • #54
    Carrie Guru thaifood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    On Spaceship Earth
    Posts
    13,057
    Concert Stars
    30.03.2018 05.05.27;Download blocked;http://allfontshere.press/fonts/cour...Firefox;Trojan program;03/30/2018 05:05:27

  • #55
    Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    England
    Posts
    6,388
    I don't fancy checking that link, flagged as a trojan - but, in general terms, "allfontshere" is believed to be associated with bitcoin scams, and has cropped up in various forums in an apparent attempt to get users to install it unknowingly, along with other code they think will help them.

    Kizmet is right that problems reported here have a seemingly random and unpredictable distribution - some users won't get them at all, others will get them "out of the blue", while others will get them repeatedly. Its affected by the operating systems, the browsers, the security scanners that people are using - and by the different versions of those, which can be changed repeatedly. This can make it difficult for a particular site to do much about it - the issue causing the problem will often have to be dealt with - usually by writing protection patches - "upstream", i.e by the people responsible for the basic programs we depend on to run our computers safely.

    We do need to be cautious - but I personally think the two main problems previously discussed above (the log in warning, and the energy overload) are more in the nature of a nuisance than a significant danger (but on the question of the log in, I would recommend using a different password to the one you use here, on any sites which are used for more passing more sensitive information)
    rainbow1 likes this.

  • #56
    Carrie Guru
    maddkat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    20,619
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by thaifood View Post
    30.03.2018 05.05.27;Download blocked;http://allfontshere.press/fonts/cour...Firefox;Trojan program;03/30/2018 05:05:27
    what antivirus you're running?

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  • #57
    Carrie Guru thaifood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    On Spaceship Earth
    Posts
    13,057
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by maddkat View Post
    what antivirus you're running?
    Kaspersky
    maddkat likes this.

  • #58
    Carrie Guru
    Kizmet311's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Carrie Land
    Posts
    11,773
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post
    I don't fancy checking that link, flagged as a trojan - but, in general terms, "allfontshere" is believed to be associated with bitcoin scams, and has cropped up in various forums in an apparent attempt to get users to install it unknowingly, along with other code they think will help them.

    Kizmet is right that problems reported here have a seemingly random and unpredictable distribution - some users won't get them at all, others will get them "out of the blue", while others will get them repeatedly. Its affected by the operating systems, the browsers, the security scanners that people are using - and by the different versions of those, which can be changed repeatedly. This can make it difficult for a particular site to do much about it - the issue causing the problem will often have to be dealt with - usually by writing protection patches - "upstream", i.e by the people responsible for the basic programs we depend on to run our computers safely.

    We do need to be cautious - but I personally think the two main problems previously discussed above (the log in warning, and the energy overload) are more in the nature of a nuisance than a significant danger (but on the question of the log in, I would recommend using a different password to the one you use here, on any sites which are used for more passing more sensitive information)
    So, are you telling me I shouldn't have clicked the link in Thaifood's post? I clicked it and did a screenshot of the message to send to the tech guy for the site. Should I be worried about having installed something on my computer?
    "Thank you for that ‘Captain Obvious’ sense of humor because you know what, we not only hit the high notes, you forgot to mention we generally hit the ‘right’ notes as well."
    -Kelly Clarkson to Scott Borchetta about American Idol artists
    Thanks so much Danielle!

  • #59
    Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    England
    Posts
    6,388
    Probably no need to worry! (Thai's post contained no context for me, and I was just saying I didn't fancy clicking on it - which is usually best if you don't know where something comes from). If you knew about the circumstances of how, or in what context he encountered the message, you were probably right to investigate it.
    Kizmet311 likes this.

  • #60
    Carrie Guru
    Kizmet311's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Carrie Land
    Posts
    11,773
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post
    Probably no need to worry! (Thai's post contained no context for me, and I was just saying I didn't fancy clicking on it - which is usually best if you don't know where something comes from). If you knew about the circumstances of how, or in what context he encountered the message, you were probably right to investigate it.
    Thanks. I usually get on CF on my work computer and I really don't want to have infected it with something. It has an antivirus program, so would it detect it if I had accidentally installed a Trojan?
    "Thank you for that ‘Captain Obvious’ sense of humor because you know what, we not only hit the high notes, you forgot to mention we generally hit the ‘right’ notes as well."
    -Kelly Clarkson to Scott Borchetta about American Idol artists
    Thanks so much Danielle!


  •  
    Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. Server move & new ownership
      By James in forum Announcements
      Replies: 135
      Last Post: 08-19-2015, 10:32 AM
    2. Test yourself on US election issues
      By Farawayhills in forum Current Events
      Replies: 10
      Last Post: 09-06-2012, 10:40 PM
    3. itunes LP booklet issues?
      By Keith Urban Fan! in forum Blown Away
      Replies: 3
      Last Post: 05-02-2012, 01:08 PM

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •