Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23
  1. #1
    Insane Carrie Fan
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,112

    EXCELLENT vid of Carrie's Vocal Range (not made by me lol)



    MAJOR props to that person for making such an incredible vid showcasing our girl's vocal ability. I have to humble myself and admit that it's light years better than the vids I've made haha. Only thing is that Carrie actually held a longer note in HGTA @ the Prudential Center back in November. She held it for over 20 seconds!

  • #2
    Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Home
    Posts
    7,830
    Concert Stars
    Thanks for posting. To be honest though, I don't usually like these videos. They always seem to create childish "he said she said" fan wars. I wish more people could respect more artists for their own talent, instead of feeling the need to compare one artist against another.

    Does anyone know the longest note Carrie has ever held live?

  • #3
    Obsessed Carrie Fan conorlovescarrie:)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    2,676
    Concert Stars
    Thanks for sharing this, I love these videos so much! She has such an amazing range its huge!

  • #4
    Carrie Fans Maniac robinannhunt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    29,059
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrieflattsfan View Post
    Thanks for posting. To be honest though, I don't usually like these videos. They always seem to create childish "he said she said" fan wars. I wish more people could respect more artists for their own talent, instead of feeling the need to compare one artist against another.

    Does anyone know the longest note Carrie has ever held live?
    I like these videos when only Carrie is in them. The last note from HGTA is the longest note that comes to mind.

  • #5
    Carrie Guru Claire2004's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    the library. lol
    Posts
    11,128


    ^^Melissa, a few weeks ago I saw this YouTube video on "How To Belt a High Note Properly" lol. It gave examples on the right and wrong techniques, and it featured performances from Mariah, Pavarotti, Whitney Houston, Christina Aguilera, Beyonce, Celine Dion, Kelly Clarkson, etc. No Carrie however. Melissa can you comment on Carrie's technique? It's not harmful to her vocal cords? Thanks!

  • #6
    Insane Carrie Fan
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,112
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire2004 View Post


    ^^Melissa, a few weeks ago I saw this YouTube video on "How To Belt a High Note Properly" lol. It gave examples on the right and wrong techniques, and it featured performances from Mariah, Pavarotti, Whitney Houston, Christina Aguilera, Beyonce, Celine Dion, Kelly Clarkson, etc. No Carrie however. Melissa can you comment on Carrie's technique? It's not harmful to her vocal cords? Thanks!
    Wow. That's quite a video. I find it strange that they would choose a Kelly Clarkson performance in which she was ill as an accurate example of her vocal technique. Kelly is actually known to have an excellent technique -- After all, she is classically trained. Overall though, their choices of clips seemed pretty biased.

    I'm gonna be honest -- Carrie's technique is just passable; it's her natural innate vocal ability that allows her to get away with more than what a less talented singer would be able to. She's pretty much the opposite of Beyonce, who has an OUSTANDING vocal technique, but a relatively unremarkable natural talent. Carrie's technique could definitely use some improvement, because she tends to max up the amount of throat muscles she uses when ascending in pitch. You're supposed to keep a neutral larynx at all times, and be careful not to push it up, even when singing higher up the scale; that's a very unhealthy habit. But thankfully, Carrie's upper register is naturally very strong and wide, which allows her to get away with more than, say, Christina A., whose voice is naturally placed much lower than Carrie's. Therefore, when Christina engages in those nasty habits, she's doing a lot more damage to herself because the notes she's reaching for are already a bit of a stretch for her. Carrie doesn't really push her voice too far though, which is a good thing. For example, a high E is a very difficult note for Christina-- and yet she goes for that note almost ALL of the time. Carrie, however, sings that note with no problem, and even sings a high F# (a full step and a half higher than that) with relative ease and control. But she still generally stays below that - She's ONLY ever hit that note in her performances of "Alone" in 2007, and in her "Respect" performance from Little Rock in her Pre-Idol days. Suffice it to say, Carrie sings BELOW her full range capability, whereas Christina is constantly trying to sing above it. If Carrie's upper register wasn't her strength, then her voice would probably be starting to show some signs of fatigue at this point. & unlike someone like Jessica Simpson, who also has a naturally high vocal placement, Carrie's technique isn't TERRIBLE -- it could just use some improvement.

  • #7
    Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Home
    Posts
    7,830
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire2004 View Post


    ^^Melissa, a few weeks ago I saw this YouTube video on "How To Belt a High Note Properly" lol. It gave examples on the right and wrong techniques, and it featured performances from Mariah, Pavarotti, Whitney Houston, Christina Aguilera, Beyonce, Celine Dion, Kelly Clarkson, etc. No Carrie however. Melissa can you comment on Carrie's technique? It's not harmful to her vocal cords? Thanks!




    I actually thought about the same thing after I watched the video. I don't know much about the technicality of vocals, but I've heard a few things. Anyone know what Carrie's range is? I've heard estimates ranging from 2-5 octaves.

    High notes seem easy for Carrie, and she has such a beautiful tone. But it does seem low notes are a little more challenging for her, just because her voice is so big. Carrie seems to know how to work with her voice, and I find it refreshing she doesn't have to belt every note, and add runs to everything she sings. Even though she's capable of that, it's probably a good thing she tones it down quite a bit. I've heard Christina Aguilera had surgery on her vocal chords a few years ago because of her singing technique, and now she has to use a different part of her voice to sing, because part of her voice was damaged.

    The fact that Carrie can belt, and control every aspect of her vocals so well is amazing.

    I searched and found this thread with lots of interesting info on Carrie's range from Melissa.

    http://www.carriefans.com/forums/car...l-range-3.html






  • #8
    Carrie Guru allamericangirl8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SoCal.
    Posts
    14,430
    Concert Stars
    There's no such thing as a vocal range video of Carrie not made by Mel. This is a myth.


    I'll go watch it now.

    Quote Originally Posted by Carrieflattsfan View Post
    Thanks for posting. To be honest though, I don't usually like these videos. They always seem to create childish "he said she said" fan wars. I wish more people could respect more artists for their own talent, instead of feeling the need to compare one artist against another.

    Does anyone know the longest note Carrie has ever held live?
    Hmmm, I don't think I've ever seen fan wars in a VOCAL RANGE video. The purpose of the video is more of a reference. If someone ever asks, "Hey, what was that Carrie Underwood girl's lowest note?" one could simply Youtube it and go, "Ah, I see. 'Tis a D3 in 'Living on the Edge.' Thank you, Youtube!"

    I look up VR videos daily on many different singers simply because they usually showcase the singer at his/her best, so it's easier than going through iTunes and picking places in the middle of songs and all that jazz.

  • #9
    Carrie Guru allamericangirl8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SoCal.
    Posts
    14,430
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrieflattsfan View Post
    Anyone know what Carrie's range is? I've heard estimates ranging from 2-5 octaves.
    You'd be hardpressed to find many people with a five octave range. Heck, it's hard to find anyone with a 3.5-4 octave range. I'm not a huge female-singer expert, though. The guy that has the biggest vocal range I've ever heard:





    But he's more of a "note-hitter" than a singer in my opinion.

  • #10
    Carrie Guru Claire2004's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    the library. lol
    Posts
    11,128
    Quote Originally Posted by MelissaD View Post
    Wow. That's quite a video. I find it strange that they would choose a Kelly Clarkson performance in which she was ill as an accurate example of her vocal technique. Kelly is actually known to have an excellent technique -- After all, she is classically trained. Overall though, their choices of clips seemed pretty biased.

    I'm gonna be honest -- Carrie's technique is just passable; it's her natural innate vocal ability that allows her to get away with more than what a less talented singer would be able to. She's pretty much the opposite of Beyonce, who has an OUSTANDING vocal technique, but a relatively unremarkable natural talent. Carrie's technique could definitely use some improvement, because she tends to max up the amount of throat muscles she uses when ascending in pitch. You're supposed to keep a neutral larynx at all times, and be careful not to push it up, even when singing higher up the scale; that's a very unhealthy habit. But thankfully, Carrie's upper register is naturally very strong and wide, which allows her to get away with more than, say, Christina A., whose voice is naturally placed much lower than Carrie's. Therefore, when Christina engages in those nasty habits, she's doing a lot more damage to herself because the notes she's reaching for are already a bit of a stretch for her. Carrie doesn't really push her voice too far though, which is a good thing. For example, a high E is a very difficult note for Christina-- and yet she goes for that note almost ALL of the time. Carrie, however, sings that note with no problem, and even sings a high F# (a full step and a half higher than that) with relative ease and control. But she still generally stays below that - She's ONLY ever hit that note in her performances of "Alone" in 2007, and in her "Respect" performance from Little Rock in her Pre-Idol days. Suffice it to say, Carrie sings BELOW her full range capability, whereas Christina is constantly trying to sing above it. If Carrie's upper register wasn't her strength, then her voice would probably be starting to show some signs of fatigue at this point. & unlike someone like Jessica Simpson, who also has a naturally high vocal placement, Carrie's technique isn't TERRIBLE -- it could just use some improvement.
    Oh, wow, Carrie is actually singing below her range? Amazing.
    I'm glad Carrie has down time periodically like now to rest her cords, even though I suffer from withdrawals whenever there's no new Carrie music lol. I don't want that beautiful, crystal-clear voice to show signs of fatigue lol. I'm definitely no expert in vocals, but even I can hear the damage that Christina Aguilera has done to her voice. Which is too bad, coz she's a great singer.

  • #11
    Obsessed Carrie Fan diva101's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Manila
    Posts
    1,675
    Carrie's range is very powerful yeah I agree that she needs to relax her throat more to have the smooth passage so she won't have a hard time in singing. KC has an advantage because she was trained, but I bet that if Carrie was classically trained, she'll be able to extend her range and she'll be able to sing with much more ease! "Alone" was technically a hard song but she sang it with resonance, and power! not bad for an untrained singer who always hit those high notes effortlessly


    Thank God we have Carrie because without her, I wouldn't appreciate new music


    haha, you know I super sometimes imagine if Carrie is an opera singer, surely she'll be able to sing bel canto repertoires frequently

  • #12
    Obsessed Carrie Fan diva101's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Manila
    Posts
    1,675
    FYI: Christina's voice is beginning to irritate my ears.. I'm sorry but her riffs and her overly used melisma has to go! and because she tries so hard in reaching notes, she's straining majorly! I'm sorry but Christina destroyed her own voice.


    *peace!!!!!!!

  • #13
    Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Home
    Posts
    7,830
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by diva101 View Post
    FYI: Christina's voice is beginning to irritate my ears.. I'm sorry but her riffs and her overly used melisma has to go! and because she tries so hard in reaching notes, she's straining majorly! I'm sorry but Christina destroyed her own voice.


    *peace!!!!!!!
    Even if Christina adds extra riffs and such to compensate for her lack of natural vocal ability, that has been her style for a decade, so she can get away with it.
    I'm a big Christina fan, but I've got to be honest and say I never realized she was using vocal runs to cover up the fact that her natural range isn't very big.
    It does make sense though, now that I've thought about it. When's the last time she actually hit a clear high note without riffs? I can't think of anytime in recent memory.

    I think a lot of people mistake Christina's ability to do runs as natural power, but it really seems that her voice is just flexible and powerful enough to give that assumption. It's too bad she didn't learn to use her voice properly, because she does have amazing talent. Someone should've told her to tone down the theatrics a long time ago.

    I'm glad Carrie seems to know she needs to take care of her voice; her natural tone and power is just amazing. I have heard a lot of trained vocalists that Carrie would be better served to be trained, because it would actually increase her range/flexibility. I know Carrie isn't interested in a vocal coach though, so I just hope she knows how to take care of herself and preserve that beautiful voice for as long as possible.
    It happened with Whitney and Mariah, and is taking hold of Christina; I don't know what I'd do if Carrie lost her voice due to improper use/technique.
    She's a smart woman though, I trust she knows how to take care of herself, and it seems to be a priority for her.

  • #14
    Obsessed Carrie Fan Carrie Country's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,482
    LOL SWSRN and her fans only wish she had this awesome of a range!!!!

  • #15
    Huge Carrie Follower m.chill99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    America
    Posts
    850
    Concert Stars
    Love it!!!!!!! *throws roses*

  • #16
    Carrie Guru allamericangirl8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SoCal.
    Posts
    14,430
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrie Country View Post
    LOL SWSRN and her fans only wish she had this awesome of a range!!!!
    What does she have to do with this video?

  • #17
    Carrie Guru Claire2004's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    the library. lol
    Posts
    11,128
    Just wondering who else among the country stars have good or excellent technique in belting notes? Martina? Leann? Trisha Yearwood? Thanks!

  • #18
    Carrie Guru allamericangirl8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SoCal.
    Posts
    14,430
    Concert Stars
    I can name many great country belters: Martina McBride, Martina McBride, Martina McBride. . .

  • #19
    Carrie Guru Claire2004's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    the library. lol
    Posts
    11,128
    Quote Originally Posted by allamericangirl8 View Post
    I can name many great country belters: Martina McBride, Martina McBride, Martina McBride. . .
    Lol

  • #20
    Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Home
    Posts
    7,830
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire2004 View Post
    Just wondering who else among the country stars have good or excellent technique in belting notes? Martina? Leann? Trisha Yearwood? Thanks!
    LeAnn has a great voice, and she's seems to be very technically skilled vocalist, from what I can tell.

    Here's a youtube video of her range:



    I don't know much about technical proficiency, but Leann does seem to have smooth vocals, and I have never seen her vividly struggling to hit notes or run out of breathe and such.

    Martina is so talented, but it seems like she has struggled a bit in live performances the last couple years; I can't really put my finger on it, but her voice doesn't see as powerful/consistent as it once was.

    That could be because of her age coupled with the fact that she no longer seems to sing songs that show her range, but I'm just not "wowed" by her like I once was.

    Ironically enough, I was looking for a video of Martina's vocal range, and the only results that came up beside the occasional live Martina performance were ones of Carrie Underwood.




    I'm not a fan of Trisha, but she also seems very technically skilled. I found a video of her studio range; it seems equal with the ranges of Carrie & LeAnn, but don't quote me on that.




  •  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •