Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 32 of 32
  1. #21
    Carrie Guru
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    17,945
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by gran29 View Post
    As much as I love Carrie, and I voted for her, no one can replace Hank Jr. and do it the way he did. I'm still upset over the whole thing. It leaves a very bad taste in my mouth about censorship.
    Where was there censorship?

    He said something stupid just like the Dixie Chicks said something stupid and they both paid for it, despite what Hank and others think his right of freedom of speech was NOT taken away, you are free to say whatever you want to say BUT that doesn't mean there will not be consequences for it.

    Hank wasn't taken away by the government for what he said the only thing that happened to him was his song got pulled from MNF, the Dixie Chicks lost a hell of a lot more for their stupid ass comments than Hank will lose for making the stupid ass comments that he made.

  • #22
    Carrie Guru Carrie_Rocks_The_House's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Chino, CA
    Posts
    13,711
    Concert Stars
    Carrie is currently winning the poll

  • #23
    Ultimate Carrie Fan
    Pi314CA's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    7,897
    Apparently, Barry Sanders is the replacement.

  • #24
    Insane Carrie Fan carebear4eva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Waterloo, On
    Posts
    5,890
    Quote Originally Posted by JB172 View Post
    Where was there censorship?

    He said something stupid just like the Dixie Chicks said something stupid and they both paid for it, despite what Hank and others think his right of freedom of speech was NOT taken away, you are free to say whatever you want to say BUT that doesn't mean there will not be consequences for it.

    Hank wasn't taken away by the government for what he said the only thing that happened to him was his song got pulled from MNF, the Dixie Chicks lost a hell of a lot more for their stupid ass comments than Hank will lose for making the stupid ass comments that he made.
    I don't think that's a fair comparison. The Dixie Chicks expressed a reasonable sentiment, albeit poorly, and getting into political mess. But they had a point somewhere in there. Also, their comments came at a significant time. Even if unwelcome, or unpleasant, at least they were RELEVANT.

    HWJ simply made an openly insulting statement, with no support, no reason, no cause, no motivation, no inspiration and no incitement. It's disgusting.

    That said, Carrie's the leading contender, but the top category is the generic "Other" category.

  • #25
    Insane Carrie Fan carebear4eva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Waterloo, On
    Posts
    5,890
    Quote Originally Posted by gran29 View Post
    As much as I love Carrie, and I voted for her, no one can replace Hank Jr. and do it the way he did. I'm still upset over the whole thing. It leaves a very bad taste in my mouth about censorship.
    I'm by no means in 'support' of censorship, but you gotta have consequences in there somewhere. You say something that's gonna tick people off, you have to expect a response too. The duty of voicing your opinion is to be cognizant of the fact that people have different opinions, and may well choose to express their disagreement.

    Plus, it was simply an unnecessary remark. Where did that statement come from? I don't want to hear politically motivated statements on some random show. There has to be some regulation against something like this happening.

  • #26
    Carrie Guru
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    17,945
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by carebear4eva View Post
    I don't think that's a fair comparison. The Dixie Chicks expressed a reasonable sentiment, albeit poorly, and getting into political mess. But they had a point somewhere in there. Also, their comments came at a significant time. Even if unwelcome, or unpleasant, at least they were RELEVANT.

    HWJ simply made an openly insulting statement, with no support, no reason, no cause, no motivation, no inspiration and no incitement. It's disgusting.

    That said, Carrie's the leading contender, but the top category is the generic "Other" category.
    Oh I agree that what The Dixie Chicks said is far less that what Hank Jr. said but if you are going to put yourself out there you have to pay for what you said & accept whatever happens and not wrongly use the BS that Hank Jr. is trying to use by saying his freedom of speech was violated when anyone who knows what freedom of speech actually means knows that he has no point in saying that his freedom of speech was violated.

    Like it or not they both went to a place where people were going to have serious issues with what they said and they both paid for it in one form or another.

  • #27
    Carrie Guru
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    17,945
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Pi314CA View Post
    Apparently, Barry Sanders is the replacement.
    It looks for at least this week and maybe even for the rest of the year, ESPN is going to use guys who played for whoever the home team is on that night to do the intro.

  • #28
    Insane Carrie Fan carebear4eva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Waterloo, On
    Posts
    5,890
    Quote Originally Posted by JB172 View Post
    Oh I agree that what The Dixie Chicks said is far less that what Hank Jr. said but if you are going to put yourself out there you have to pay for what you said & accept whatever happens and not wrongly use the BS that Hank Jr. is trying to use by saying his freedom of speech was violated when anyone who knows what freedom of speech actually means knows that he has no point in saying that his freedom of speech was violated.

    Like it or not they both went to a place where people were going to have serious issues with what they said and they both paid for it in one form or another.
    Agreed. I'm not a fan of how liberally people use their right to speech. It's the same argument that Westboro Baptist Church use to spread their hatred. Freedom of speech must have restrictions, in that you can't use it to directly offend, insult or attack someone.

  • #29
    just another fan

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    19,708
    Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post
    If Carrie wins, I'll become a Gridiron fan (it's basically Rugger with more rules and shoulder pads, isn't it?)
    shoulder pads and helmet. not sure about more rules.

    btw, england and france later today. it sucks being a rugger fan in the US, im going to have to stay up way late for that

    Quote Originally Posted by hjj View Post
    Voted for Carrie but w/ Faith being the NBC lead sing in to Sunday Football it would probably work against Carrie getting chosen. There are a few there that would be interesting.
    Jim Rome said the exact same thing during his show. that carrie is a great choice but they would appear to be copying NBC so she won't get picked.

    Quote Originally Posted by epicamends View Post
    I know Carrie loves football, but since her husband is a hockey player I doubt she'd do this.
    the NHL needs to get some people to help them market the game. get carrie to do some promos!!!

  • #30
    Carrie Guru rainbow1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    15,358
    Concert Stars
    Yeah, they are missing it there!

  • #31
    Junior Carrie Follower Butterfly13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin,United States
    Posts
    325
    Concert Stars
    I voted for Carrie but I also can't see her doing this.

  • #32
    Huge Carrie Follower huggablebri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    998
    I agree with carebear above.. Basically everything that the Dixie Chicks had to say at the time has turned out to be true. They never said anything stupid, just maybe not the best timing.


  •  
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

    Similar Threads

    1. Replies: 62
      Last Post: 10-04-2011, 03:18 PM
    2. Replies: 16
      Last Post: 04-24-2011, 06:40 PM

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •