• 2 Post By stan
  • 4 Post By Farawayhills
  • 3 Post By rainbow1
  • 2 Post By showheryoucare

Thread: Top 7 Love Songs by Carrie Underwood

Huge Carrie Follower FanSince04's Avatar
    Concert Stars

Top 7 Love Songs by Carrie Underwood

Fun, opinionated read. I have to say some I wouldnít consider love songs (TAPFU), and the author claims SH was her third single, which is false. She sang it during the Macy Day parade, but I donít remember her ever releasing it as a single. Trust me, I keep up with that.

I think TNBLGO, FC, and GIG are some of her best love song, though deep cuts... GIG is my FAVORITE song by Carrie!!!!

7 Best Carrie Underwood Love Songs
    Smokyiiis, teesharky and rainbow1 like this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    ^ it wasn't the third single as SH was released as a single to AC & Pop at the same time JTTW was on country
    rainbow1 likes this.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    The fact that they've gone for seven (when you might expect a list of ten), and that some people might consider even a few of those to be only marginally within the most usual definition of love songs, suggests that it may be fair to consider this not to be Carrie's favourite realm for public performance - but there have been notable exceptions.

For me, the two most passionate and romantic love songs that she has picked so far have come at both ends of her career - one very early, and one on her last album. The very early one was her cover of Maria McKee's "Show Me Heaven". The relative immaturity in her voice, and the lack of detailed industry attention to the production might cause many to reject this one - but for me (a Maria fan as well), this is an extraordinarily confidant and bold choice for a young singer - and one which shows a willingness to tackle quite explicit movie sound track passion. If you don't know it, it's here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnDZo4Fmy_A

The recent one is, for me, one of her best recordings ever - "Like I'll Never Love You Again", from the Storyteller album. (This was written by the Love Junkies, whom Carrie returned to for her new album). Although Carrie may have only sung this live once (?) in public (and even then left some lines to the writers), I think its choice as an album track does show that Carrie is willing to tackle pretty strong depth of feeling in a studio context. These lines are certainly, for me, among the most insightful and committed she's yet recorded;

"I wanna love you like the world's gonna stop
    Til the very last second, last tick of that clock
    I'm gonna slow it all down and then take you from zero to ten
    Oh, I wanna love you like I'll never love you again

Let's make this night last forever
    Like honey dripping sweet and slow
    Every kiss just tasting better
    Every touch, every whisper, let go"

Neither of those songs was written by Carrie - and I'd have to say that neither "Mama's Song", nor "Heartbeat", while charming and commendable steps in a more personal direction, really show what I would consider a great deal of lyrical depth or development. Of her writing which made the albums, I'd probably pick the yearning regret of "Wine After Whiskey" as her best so far - though if "Oklahoma Wind" had made the final cuts, it would have been a strong contender. (For those who would like to read its lyrics again, they are here
    Oklahoma Wind (lyrics) | Carrie Underwood Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia
    teesharky, rainbow1 and Smokyiiis like this.

Weird list! Heartbeat is the best love song in that list.
    teesharky likes this.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by maddkat View Post
    ^ it wasn't the third single as SH was released as a single to AC & Pop at the same time JTTW was on country
    I know it wasnít. BHC was the third single. Iím curious as to why they say it was the third single.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post
    The fact that they've gone for seven (when you might expect a list of ten), and that some people might consider even a few of those to be only marginally within the most usual definition of love songs, suggests that it may be fair to consider this not to be Carrie's favourite realm for public performance - but there have been notable exceptions.

For me, the two most passionate and romantic love songs that she has picked so far have come at both ends of her career - one very early, and one on her last album. The very early one was her cover of Maria McKee's "Show Me Heaven". The relative immaturity in her voice, and the lack of detailed industry attention to the production might cause many to reject this one - but for me (a Maria fan as well), this is an extraordinarily confidant and bold choice for a young singer - and one which shows a willingness to tackle quite explicit movie sound track passion. If you don't know it, it's here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnDZo4Fmy_A

The recent one is, for me, one of her best recordings ever - "Like I'll Never Love You Again", from the Storyteller album. (This was written by the Love Junkies, whom Carrie returned to for her new album). Although Carrie may have only sung this live once (?) in public (and even then left some lines to the writers), I think its choice as an album track does show that Carrie is willing to tackle pretty strong depth of feeling in a studio context. These lines are certainly, for me, among the most insightful and committed she's yet recorded;

"I wanna love you like the world's gonna stop
    Til the very last second, last tick of that clock
    I'm gonna slow it all down and then take you from zero to ten
    Oh, I wanna love you like I'll never love you again

Let's make this night last forever
    Like honey dripping sweet and slow
    Every kiss just tasting better
    Every touch, every whisper, let go"

Neither of those songs was written by Carrie - and I'd have to say that neither "Mama's Song", nor "Heartbeat", while charming and commendable steps in a more personal direction, really show what I would consider a great deal of lyrical depth or development. Of her writing which made the albums, I'd probably pick the yearning regret of "Wine After Whiskey" as her best so far - though if "Oklahoma Wind" had made the final cuts, it would have been a strong contender. (For those who would like to read its lyrics again, they are here
    Oklahoma Wind (lyrics) | Carrie Underwood Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia
    Yes, LINLYA is a GREAT one!
    Farawayhills and rainbow1 like this.

Concert Stars
    From the Play On era I absolutely LOVED SOMEDAY WHEN I STOP LOVING YOU, LOOK AT ME and WHAT CAN I SAY. The only one of the three she was involved in as far as the writing was WHAT CAN I SAY and I loved the harmonies.

Concert Stars
    What a giant loss, Oklahoma Wind was........

Concert Stars
    In No Partucular Order:

Wine After Whiskey
    Someday When I Stop Loving You
    Heartbeat
    Look at Me
    Lile Iíll Never Love You Again
    Forever Changed
    Do You Think About Me
    Relapse
    What I Never Knew I Always Wanted
    The Fighter
    Oh Love
    Remind Me

This person left off some of her best such as Like Ill Never Love You Again, Look At Me, ect..
    rainbow1 likes this.

Concert Stars
    Wine after Whiskey and I Know You Won't are, to me, far and away the best torch/love songs she has done and, to my mind, are right up there with the best anyone has done.
    lizcarlo and rainbow1 like this.

How about this under-the-radar song?

rainbow1 and txacar like this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stan View Post
    How about this under-the-radar song?

Interesting choice!

This is the only Cathy Dennis song that Carrie has recorded - but Cathy might be a name to consider, if Carrie wants to try for wider international success. She is from England, where she has won an Ivor Novello award five times (this is equivalent in prestige to a songwriting Grammy here). Her best known international hits have included Kylie Minogue's"Can't Get You Out of My Head", Britney Spears' "Toxic" and Katy Perry's "I Kissed A Girl". She is often associated with Simon Fuller (which probably explains this relatively early Carrie pick) and has written much of the music used on the Idol franchise. Other Idol graduates like Kelly Clarkson and Adam Lambert have recorded her.

Her music is often linked to the Pop Dance scene, and this is her only solidly Country song that I'm aware of. I call it solidly Country because of its use of instrumentation and musical themes, which are often more Country than much of the material currently prominent on Mainstream radio. It's co-written by Tom Shapiro, who is an experienced Country producer, and also co-wrote Carrie's "Wine After Whiskey". If you compare those two songs, one thing that strikes me is Carrie's growing maturity as a "torch song" vocalist. In WAW, her delivery is often slower and more lingering on key syllables, which increases both empathy with the lyric and harmony with the music - whereas (although she does include touches of this style) I think her delivery in parts of YWFT can sound rather more rushed.

Concert Stars
    Always, one of my favorites!! ^
    txacar, stan and Farawayhills like this.

Insane Carrie Fan countrymusicfan15's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    For me, I’d go with:

This Time
    Quitter
    Someday When I Stop Loving You
    What Can I Say
    Like I’ll Never Love You Again
    Wine After Whiskey
    Look At Me
    Some Hearts

Obsessed Carrie Fan showheryoucare's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by FanSince04 View Post
    I know it wasnít. BHC was the third single. Iím curious as to why they say it was the third single.
    They're probably just going by the Wikipedia discography listing of singles. IYH was released first (6/14/05), JTTW was released second (10/3/05), SH was released third (10/29/05).
    countrymusicfan15 and txacar like this.

•