Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Like Tree45Likes
  • 14 Post By maddkat
  • 3 Post By rainbow1
  • 3 Post By Hil
  • 4 Post By HuiZ
  • 2 Post By Smokyiiis
  • 7 Post By Kizmet311
  • 3 Post By Farawayhills
  • 4 Post By Hil
  • 4 Post By Farawayhills
  • 1 Post By ethelu

Thread: Ashley Gorley Reveals Why It’s So Hard to Write w/Carrie

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars

Ashley Gorley Reveals Why It’s So Hard to Write w/Carrie

Ashley Gorley: What to Know About Country Songwriting's King of No. 1s | PEOPLE.com

Underwood, Bryan, Brad Paisley, Dierks Bentley and Thomas Rhett are among his most famous co-writers. Underwood, he says, may be the hardest to write with – but not because she’s being difficult.

“The trouble with writing with Carrie is that, when she sings it back, it’s going to sound amazing,” he says. “So you can get away with a bad line or two if you’re not careful.”

He’s been known to solve the problem by taking over singing duties with his untrained voice. “It has to be awesome if I’m singing it just to sound okay,” he says.

Underwood’s songwriting skills, says Gorley, can make him forget the talent she’s famous for – until she warms up her pipes. “Everyone’s just shaking their head like, how’s this happening?” he says. “It’s like working with whatever is the best-of-the-best instrument.”

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Concert Stars
    JUst love that article!! Happy he praised her writing too!!!
    Carrieslegs84, glenn7 and ethelu like this.

Hil
    I love how everyone always praises working with Carrie whether it's one take Carrie or her writing.
    Carrieslegs84, glenn7 and ethelu like this.

It’s very true... Carrie can get away with singing even the lamest line lol.

Concert Stars
    Wow that needs to be pinned on the blackboard! Lol. Geez does it get any better?
    rainbow1 and gwade82 like this.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by HuiZ View Post
    You took my HAPPY

Why could they not have just said...You took my good times?
    Last edited by thaifood; 1 Week Ago at 12:38 PM.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    I like that he said her songwriting skills can make her co-writers forget that she's famous for her voice (paraphrased). Many of us have wondered exactly how much Carrie contributes to her songwriting sessions and her co-writers have praised her more than once, so I think her contributions are a lot greater than we think. I wish she got the recognition for that as much as other artists do.
    Suellen, liz278, rainbow1 and 4 others like this.
    "Thank you for that ‘Captain Obvious’ sense of humor because you know what, we not only hit the high notes, you forgot to mention we generally hit the ‘right’ notes as well."
    -Kelly Clarkson to Scott Borchetta about American Idol artists
    Thanks so much Danielle!

Quote Originally Posted by HuiZ View Post

"He is good, so good"? lol

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    The line from "Undo It" may have been a tribute to the Ray Price classic "You Took My Happy Away".

Price was still alive when "Play On" was released - he performed into his eighties, despite battling cancer, and was increasingly identified with "old school" classic Country, facing stylistic rejection by some of the Nashville "crossovers".
    Carrie's awareness of, and references to, her genre's tradition are one of the things I most admire in her, and believe she doesn't get enough credit for.
    rainbow1, MSCarriefan and ethelu like this.

Hil
    Isn't it "you stole my happy?" Anyway, I always like that line lol. Kinda like the phrase who turned your frown upside down.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    There are a couple of reasons for thinking that Carrie may have been making a conscious reference to Ray Price's use of the "my happy" phrase. Some versions of that song also included repeated wordless syllables, as "Undo It" also did. Also although Price, "the Cherokee Cowboy" was something of a role model for the neo-traditional revival of later artists like Randy Travis and Alan Jackson, whom Carrie is known to admire, did also, in his own career, pioneer the use of Nashville Sound strings and Pop influences. In that sense, I can imagine him appealing to Carrie's own view of Contemporary Country as a blending of both styles.

A few years later, Blake Shelton got into hot water with Ray Price over his "old farts and jackass" comment. Shelton presents himself as a style expert in the Country genre, saying "If I am “Male Vocalist of the Year” that must mean that I’m one of those people now that gets to decide if it moves forward and if it moves on". Carrie is much quieter, but she makes the point more effectively in some of her music. She understands the need to blend styles better, in my view, than many of the male artists. And although "Undo It" sometimes gets a thumbs down from fans, it shows a better understanding of Country Rock, especially in its intro, than much of the stuff you'll hear on radio.
    Last edited by Farawayhills; 1 Week Ago at 04:20 PM.
    liz278, ethelu, pgk and 1 others like this.

Insane Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Kizmet311 View Post
    I like that he said her songwriting skills can make her co-writers forget that she's famous for her voice (paraphrased). Many of us have wondered exactly how much Carrie contributes to her songwriting sessions and her co-writers have praised her more than once, so I think her contributions are a lot greater than we think. I wish she got the recognition for that as much as other artists do.
    I'd like to be a fly on the wall during one of Carrie's writing sessions. I'm really curious how the songs come together, and what ideas Carrie contributes.
    Carrieslegs84 likes this.

•