Results 1 to 12 of 12
Like Tree46Likes
  • 8 Post By Claire2004
  • 8 Post By maddkat
  • 8 Post By luxoricious
  • 1 Post By wonderboy
  • 2 Post By gwade82
  • 6 Post By ethelu
  • 7 Post By Farawayhills
  • 2 Post By gwade82
  • 1 Post By gwade82
  • 3 Post By Callie

Thread: Living Gay in Nashville: Country Music Insiders Share Stories... (Carrie mention)

  1. #1
    Carrie Guru Claire2004's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    the library. lol
    Posts
    11,128

    Living Gay in Nashville: Country Music Insiders Share Stories... (Carrie mention)

    Living Gay in Nashville: Country Music Insiders Share Stories of Inclusion, Blackmail, Huckabee and Haters


    In putting together this week’s feature on the new, more inclusive Nashville, Varietyspoke to a number of prominent figures in the country music community about their coming out experiences and life as a gay resident of Music City. In reporting “Nashville’s New Guard” on the heels of the March controversy over anti-same-sex-marriage crusader Mike Huckabee’s appointment to a charitable CMA board (reversed in a day under pressure), lingering questions remained over the challenges and opportunities Music Row’s gay community still faces.
    For this attendant roundtable, we put some of those questions to a handful of pioneering figures in country: Jason Owen, the manager and Sandbox Entertainment president (Kacey Musgraves, Little Big Town) whose letter to the CMA helped shorten Huckabee’s tenure to a single day; Chely Wright, the first mainstream country star with a record of top 10 hits to come out; Shane McAnally, the hit producer and co-writer for acts ranging from Sam Hunt to Musgraves; Blair Garner, a nationally syndicated radio host; and Darrell Brown, a writer and producer for artists including LeAnn Rimes and Keith Urban (all interviewed separately).

    Full article: Living Gay in Nashville: Country Music Insiders Share Their Stories ? Variety


    There's a brief Carrie mention by Chely Wright. I posted this not to start any debates, just wanted to share that what Carrie said a few years ago about marriage equality has really touched Chely, and made a lasting impact, to this day she still talks about it. Here is the mention:

    How do you think things have changed in the eight years since you came out?

    Wright: I think we can see progress. When I came out in 2010, people got eerily quiet. Even my artist pals didn’t want to say much. And many of them over the years, even as recently as two months ago, have reached out and said, “God, I wish I would have said something; I feel more comfortable saying things now, and I’ve learned a lot.” Obviously we’re not where we were eight years ago. A couple years ago, Carrie Underwood made remarks affirming marriage equality. That’s big. Other artists have finally moved away from the “I love everybody; I love the sinner, hate the sin” sort of statements. Nobody’s really trying that anymore, which is great. I think progress was happening with [’90s stars] Ty Herndon and Billy Gilman coming out as well as myself. There’ll never have to be another first like that again. But there will still have to be a first currently commercial artist out of the closet, which will be awesome.

  • #2
    Carrie Guru
    maddkat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    23,765
    Concert Stars
    Carrie has such an open heart

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  • #3
    Obsessed Carrie Fan luxoricious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Argentina
    Posts
    1,347
    Well, as a gay man myself, knowing that Carrie supports equal marriage, made me feel finally at home with her. Can't really explain why.
    But country artists and fans can be very conservative, and as much as I love country music, it always makes my heart ache a little when I hear an homophobic phrase or something on the mouse of the artist that I like.
    So when Carrie openly supported equality, it really made me love her like 19812 times more.
    kelanob, Pitocco, ethelu and 5 others like this.

  • #4
    Junior Carrie Follower wonderboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    456
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by luxoricious View Post
    Well, as a gay man myself, knowing that Carrie supports equal marriage, made me feel finally at home with her. Can't really explain why.
    But country artists and fans can be very conservative, and as much as I love country music, it always makes my heart ache a little when I hear an homophobic phrase or something on the mouse of the artist that I like.
    So when Carrie openly supported equality, it really made me love her like 19812 times more.
    I agree! I was happy myself.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ethelu likes this.

  • #5
    Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    2,977
    Quote Originally Posted by luxoricious View Post
    Well, as a gay man myself, knowing that Carrie supports equal marriage, made me feel finally at home with her. Can't really explain why.
    But country artists and fans can be very conservative, and as much as I love country music, it always makes my heart ache a little when I hear an homophobic phrase or something on the mouse of the artist that I like.
    So when Carrie openly supported equality, it really made me love her like 19812 times more.
    In the vein of honesty, Carrie never mentioned equality about this. She said she would not want to tell anyone who they could or could not love. We should never assign our view points to anyone else.

  • #6
    Insane Carrie Fan
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    3,144
    Quote Originally Posted by gwade82 View Post
    In the vein of honesty, Carrie never mentioned equality about this. She said she would not want to tell anyone who they could or could not love. We should never assign our view points to anyone else.
    From the Huffington Post, 01/16/2013, this is what Carrie said:

    The “American Idol” alum, wed NHL player Mike Fisher in July 2010, said last year, “As a married person myself, I don’t know what it’s like to be told I can’t marry somebody I love, and want to marry.”

    She continued, “I can’t imagine how that must feel. I definitely think we should all have the right to love, and love publicly, the people that we want to love.”

  • #7
    Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    England
    Posts
    7,019
    In a two line quote, Carrie mentions marry/married three times, and publicly once - so it seems clear that she's thinking about more than private or personal relationships.

    In this context, it also has support from the reports that she joined a church in Tennessee that inclusively welcomes worshipers regardless of sexuality, and, incidentally, from the fact that she wrote "Keep Us Safe" with someone in a same-sex marriage, who has adopted children with his husband.

    I don't think it's randomly assigning a viewpoint, when, like growing numbers in the genre, she has been pretty open about affirming support for equal acceptance.

  • #8
    Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    2,977
    Quote Originally Posted by ethelu View Post
    From the Huffington Post, 01/16/2013, this is what Carrie said:

    The “American Idol” alum, wed NHL player Mike Fisher in July 2010, said last year, “As a married person myself, I don’t know what it’s like to be told I can’t marry somebody I love, and want to marry.”

    She continued, “I can’t imagine how that must feel. I definitely think we should all have the right to love, and love publicly, the people that we want to love.”
    Correct. Nothing about equality or support or not for any agenda or movement. Just Carrie expressing her personal opinion. Why can't her opinions be just that hers. The remarks were in response to a question she was asked. Again her opinions, not in support of mine or yours or anyone elses.
    Carrieslegs84 and Smokyiiis like this.

  • #9
    Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    2,977
    Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post
    In a two line quote, Carrie mentions marry/married three times, and publicly once - so it seems clear that she's thinking about more than private or personal relationships.

    In this context, it also has support from the reports that she joined a church in Tennessee that inclusively welcomes worshipers regardless of sexuality, and, incidentally, from the fact that she wrote "Keep Us Safe" with someone in a same-sex marriage, who has adopted children with his husband.

    I don't think it's randomly assigning a viewpoint, when, like growing numbers in the genre, she has been pretty open about affirming support for equal acceptance.
    Well stated although I disagree with anyone determining her intent but her.

  • #10
    Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    2,977
    Quote Originally Posted by luxoricious View Post
    Well, as a gay man myself, knowing that Carrie supports equal marriage, made me feel finally at home with her. Can't really explain why.
    But country artists and fans can be very conservative, and as much as I love country music, it always makes my heart ache a little when I hear an homophobic phrase or something on the mouse of the artist that I like.
    So when Carrie openly supported equality, it really made me love her like 19812 times more.
    How about this, she is a great great singer and I believe a truly great person.
    Carrieslegs84 likes this.

  • #11
    Junior Carrie Follower Callie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    157
    Quote Originally Posted by gwade82 View Post
    Well stated although I disagree with anyone determining her intent but her.


    She continued, “I can’t imagine how that must feel. I definitely think we should all have the right to love, and love publicly, the people that we want to love.”

    THIS is intent!

    I found Carrie to be courageous & forthright in her statement. One can be Republican, Conservative, Country loving & GOD fearing and still veer from the expected norms of said cultures. I respect all peoples decisions but so not agree with many. This world is moving toward a more open society as a whole whether some like it or not. Better to learn to rise above & welcome all then to be excluded by the turning of the tide.

    One thing I know for certain: Carrie fans are passionate, loyal & generally accepting. This is a good thing.
    Farawayhills, Smokyiiis and ethelu like this.

  • #12
    Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    2,977
    Quote Originally Posted by Callie View Post
    She continued, “I can’t imagine how that must feel. I definitely think we should all have the right to love, and love publicly, the people that we want to love.”

    THIS is intent!

    I found Carrie to be courageous & forthright in her statement. One can be Republican, Conservative, Country loving & GOD fearing and still veer from the expected norms of said cultures. I respect all peoples decisions but so not agree with many. This world is moving toward a more open society as a whole whether some like it or not. Better to learn to rise above & welcome all then to be excluded by the turning of the tide.

    One thing I know for certain: Carrie fans are passionate, loyal & generally accepting. This is a good thing.
    My intent is not to be argumentative, however I believe it is more important to be admired for ones character as opposed the public perception one wishes to propagate .


  •  

    Similar Threads

    1. Replies: 33
      Last Post: 07-13-2014, 07:55 PM
    2. Kristin Chenoweth talks country music...(Carrie mention)
      By CarrieUnderwoodismyHero in forum Carrie Underwood Times
      Replies: 3
      Last Post: 12-07-2012, 08:02 AM
    3. Replies: 16
      Last Post: 12-13-2011, 07:36 PM
    4. Blake Shelton names the Top 10 voices in country music (Carrie mention)
      By Claire2004 in forum Carrie Underwood Times
      Replies: 31
      Last Post: 07-26-2011, 10:13 PM
    5. Brad Paisley Makes 'Country Music' His Mission (Carrie mention)
      By Claire2004 in forum Carrie Underwood Times
      Replies: 5
      Last Post: 05-29-2011, 11:21 AM

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •