Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree192Likes

Thread: Carrie Underwood ‘Saddened’ By ‘Something in the Water’ Lawsuit

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars

Carrie Underwood ‘Saddened’ By ‘Something in the Water’ Lawsuit

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2017/09/19/carrie-underwood-hit-song-theft-lawsuit/680497001/

“We are aware that a lawsuit was filed regarding the authorship of “Something in the Water,”” a spokesperson for Underwood says in a statement (via the Tennessean). “This is a deeply personal song regarding Carrie’s faith, and she is saddened that anyone would attempt to challenge that for financial gain.” Neither Carrie nor any of her co-writers ever received or heard the plaintiffs’ song. We fully expect that Carrie, Brett and Chris will be vindicated in the courts."

liz278, rainbow1, txacar and 9 others like this.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Insane Carrie Fan
    People will literally do anything for money.
    liz278, rainbow1, lolita55 and 4 others like this.

Concert Stars
    I just hate this for her!!!!

I remember when the songwriters described the feeling in the room the day they wrote SITW -- that something deep and very special was happening. I hope this is decided quickly -- how dare they taint this beautiful song and its writers.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by txacar View Post
    I remember when the songwriters described the feeling in the room the day they wrote SITW -- that something deep and very special was happening. I hope this is decided quickly -- how dare they taint this beautiful song and its writers.
    I remember. Here's a CMT article about it - Inside Carrie Underwood?s ?Something in the Water? | CMT

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Sickening is right........ Money the rude of all evil...... Carrie will prevail, but of course it breaks her heart immensely..

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    I have a hard time believing this because they waited 3 years to file it, and don't these people understand that just because they pitch a song to a producer doesn't mean that they actually turn it over to the artist, and considering Carrie has no problem putting songs on her album that are written by other people it makes no sense.

Isn't it 3 years late?? Lol good luck with that!

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    I looked on YouTube and I have not been able to find their song.

Has anyone else on here been able to find it?
    Last edited by lolita55; 09-20-2017 at 11:39 AM.
    teesharky, txacar and ethelu like this.

sco
    Obsessed Carrie Fan
    It sounds pretty similar to the Remind Me suit. There's something in the water is a commonly used phrase so saying the hook 'there's something in the water' is identical to their song is meaningless. The fact that it took them over 3 years to complain also makes it suspicious. It's annoying but this is the reason they keep lawyers on retainer. It will work itself out.

Huge Carrie Follower
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbow1 View Post
    I just hate this for her!!!!
    Me too.Why would some unknown songwriters dredge this up after 3 years?It just doesn’t make sense to me at all.For them to taint the beautiful message of the song & in turn targeting Carrie’s deeply personal Christian faith,which is deeply personal for me as well being a Christian & a pastors kid being baptized 3 times by my dad who presided over those baptisms,is just wrong & saddening that they have go after someone just to try & make a quick buck & Carrie,who did nothing wrong in my book but write a deeply personal song about her Christian faith so that it may change other people’s lives & give them hope when they feel they have none.I pray that this gets resolved as soon as possible so it’s not a distraction to Carrie & her personal & professional life & so she can move on with her life without this hanging over her head.
    txacar, ethelu and lizcarlo like this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrieslegs84 View Post
    Me too.Why would some unknown songwriters dredge this up after 3 years?It just doesn’t make sense to me at all.For them to taint the beautiful message of the song & in turn targeting Carrie’s deeply personal Christian faith,which is deeply personal for me as well being a Christian & a pastors kid being baptized 3 times by my dad who presided over those baptisms,is just wrong & saddening that they have go after someone just to try & make a quick buck & Carrie,who did nothing wrong in my book but write a deeply personal song about her Christian faith so that it may change other people’s lives & give them hope when they feel they have none.I pray that this gets resolved as soon as possible so it’s not a distraction to Carrie & her personal & professional life & so she can move on with her life without this hanging over her head.
    Because people are just greedy. But the fact that they waited this long is suspect.

Concert Stars
    Total BS. Playing High Life in the background and wishing I could throw rotten tomatoes at these pricks. Poor Carrie. There is always someone trying to take you down when you reach the Top.

Concert Stars
    Hilary ~ MollyVegas‏ @MollyVegas

This seems relevant More "lowlife's attempting to live the high life."

lolita55, liz278, txacar and 5 others like this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan

Question

Quote Originally Posted by teesharky View Post
    Total BS. Playing High Life in the background and wishing I could throw rotten tomatoes at these pricks. Poor Carrie. There is always someone trying to take you down when you reach the Top.
    Exactly I would love to hear their version of something in the water, and I would also like to know why it took them this long to sue them. It was just like the remind me situation, why wait so long if somebody legitimately stole your song.

Junior Carrie Follower
    Concert Stars
    I guess they couldn't sell their music... So they sold their soul to the devil... Looking on the bright side not only will they get their asses thrown out of court they give publicity to one of Carrie's greatest co-writes ever...Don't worry about this Carriefans OUR GIRL has more integrity in her little finger than they will have in their entire miserable lives.. CHEERS
    txacar, teesharky, liz278 and 7 others like this.

Concert Stars
    ^ haha so true Russ! Carrie is the most honest, ethtical artist out there. And this song meant so much to her. Of all the songs they had to go after-- why did it have to be this one? So sad that people are this evil.

Huge Carrie Follower
    Quote Originally Posted by teesharky View Post
    ^ haha so true Russ! Carrie is the most honest, ethtical artist out there. And this song meant so much to her. Of all the songs they had to go after-- why did it have to be this one? So sad that people are this evil.
    She is & that they had to go after a song that meant so much to her just makes it more evil than it seems.My parents said that whenever good things start to happen in our lives,Satan has to come & destroy it because he hates it that God’s people are winning & he isn’t so he has to try & sabotage the good that’s going on in people’s lives.Satan always has to go after the good ones& it seems like that is the case with this one.I paraphrased what they said but this seems to ring true here,unfortunately.Evil exists because this world is fallen & these people have taken advantage of a person that is all that is good about this world & has integrity out the wazoo because apparently they were under a rock 3 years ago when Carrie had massive success with this song & feel that success should’ve been rightfully theirs when in reality,it probably wasn’t.I am #TeamCarrie on this one because this song was hers & only hers to begin with!!These people deserve lumps of coals in their Christmas stockings!!Maybe that’s too generous in my book!!They deserve nothing in this case!!A big fat ZERO!!Carrie should never have to deal with this because she really didn’t do anything wrong in this case!!I hope that her & songwriters prevail & win because this hurts them just as much as it hurts her!!
    teesharky likes this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lolita55 View Post
    I looked on YouTube and I have not been able to find their song.

Has anyone else on here been able to find it?
    No - Georgie only has a couple of YouTube videos, not that one

However, her song does exist, and is registered on SOCAN. Warner Chappel Music (who presumably had a stake in the publishing) also registered the Sony "Greatest Hits" album song in Canada - and the Sony song does have a later registration number than Georgie's (but as we've been discussing in other threads, the registration numbers don't necessarily reflect the date of writing.) However, I would assume that lawyers representing Georgie and her co-writer/producer do at least have evidence that their song was the earlier one.

Going by the article, they are not relying on the general body of the song being similar - only that the title and the hook appear to be identical.
    I would think it would be very difficult to prove anything from the title, though - it's a very common expression (almost proverbial) - and there are over 50 different songs with that title on ASCAP alone.

This is the Wikipedia article on what can constitute the "hook" in a song
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hook_(music)
    In this case, it presumably refers to either the phrase "And now I'm changed And now I'm stronger", or to "There must've been something in the water" - or to both phrases, taken together. The second phrase, though, stems naturally from the title, and really adds nothing significant to it - and I would say the notes to which it's sung are so common that any similarity there between the songs would be hard to argue were more than coincidence.

So it probably hinges on the first phrase - which is highly distinctive, because of its jump in pitch and sudden switching of style, from a traditional Country narration to an expansive General Music emotional passage. If this device also occurred in the first song, I think they would have a definite case (but without hearing the other song, it seems likely that the distinctiveness of this change would owe a lot to Carrie's vocal delivery, rather than depend primarily on the songwriting.)

"Greed" is a value judgment, that (in general terms) can also often be applied to established interests and corporate money making. Because x is famous, and y is unknown doesn't automatically put either party in the right - and I'm aware that a lot of reuse of music and themes does take place (both deliberately and unconsciously). My instincts are generally to defend the rights of songwriters to seek redress, where they would otherwise be in danger of getting lost in the morass of corporate power, expensive professional advisers, fan indignation, and public fascination with fame and fortune. But instincts have to give way to facts, and in this case, the alleged facts don't appear particularly convincing.

--------

For interest - the case that most nags at my mind was one concerning events from around half a century ago. It concerned "Hickory Wind" (one of the songs that "saved Country Music"). The song was attributed to Gram Parsons and a band member, Bob Buchanan, who were said to have written it on a train ride from the East Coast to California. It's not disputed that Bob Buchanan added one verse - but the structure and greater part of the song were generally believed to be Gram's. However, he'd been spending time gathering ideas in South Carolina - and it's since been argued that the song really belonged to a blind folk singer he heard there, Sylvia Sammons. It's claimed that the only evidence she had was a tape of her singing it, which she mailed to herself with a Post Office date stamp - but the record company paid her to give up this evidence, which they presumably then destroyed. That story has, in turn, been disputed - but a retired lecturer has said she does remember Sylvia singing it in public, as early as six years before the well known version came out.
    "Sweetheart of the Rodeo" was such an iconic album in the history of Country Rock, that most people (including the other musicians he worked with) have always believed that Gram invented something special (though his history of substance abuse must raise questions of how reliable his memory of what he had heard, as opposed to what he thought up himself, might have been). The story is here:
    http://www.folklinks.com/hickory_wind.html
    lolita55, ethelu and rainbow1 like this.

sco
    Obsessed Carrie Fan
    I appreciate your intellectual analysis. Nobody has questioned that the earlier song existed. Carrie's statement stated that she and her cowriters never heard it. Therefore unless one were to believe they are lying, which no one has remotely suggested, and given that the title is an extremely common phrase then it's hard to see the case having any validity. I'd be surprised if the original song included anything similar other than that phrase. Nothing in the article said the suit indicated any thematic similarities. The lawyers will sort it out with little impact on Carrie outside of providing a deposition. That's their job.
    ethelu, rainbow1, liz278 and 1 others like this.

•  
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast