Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree192Likes

Thread: Carrie Underwood ‘Saddened’ By ‘Something in the Water’ Lawsuit

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by sco View Post
    I appreciate your intellectual analysis. Nobody has questioned that the earlier song existed. Carrie's statement stated that she and her cowriters never heard it. Therefore unless one were to believe they are lying, which no one has remotely suggested, and given that the title is an extremely common phrase then it's hard to see the case having any validity. I'd be surprised if the original song included anything similar other than that phrase. Nothing in the article said the suit indicated any thematic similarities. The lawyers will sort it out with little impact on Carrie outside of providing a deposition. That's their job.
    My main problem with the lawsuit is them wanting the profits from the song after all these years. I don't understand why they didn't sue them years ago when it was first released.
    ethelu, gwade82 and Carrieslegs84 like this.

Concert Stars
    As SITW has a very broad and simplistic "hook" (if you can even call it that) there is almost no way to suggest that another song was robbed of something specific by the use of it. I can name a dozen songs that open or close a chorus with the same sequence of notes. Its all in the "intent". I think the writers of SITW have this on lock. And I imagine the whole thing will go away quite quietly.

But it will not come with a "pay off to go away". This will be something that Carries lawyers will fight and confirm through the court to make sure the plaintiff have not further action moving forward. Any reward in a copywrite infringement case would be a admittance of guilt. That is NOT going to happen.

The only thing you have to hope is judges that are ignorant to music or have some "commercial or populist" interest in the case; aka liking the idea of anylizing a musical piece to determine culpability.
    The title is too broad, the theme is too broad, there is no hook to speak of and that is because it is too broad. Nothing in the water indeed.

Even the theme they suggests "there's something in the water" is a complete departure of Carries theme in her song regarding the faith to proclaim "there must be something in the water". Both ideas convey something completely different from eachother in what might be in the water vrs what IS in the water.....

This should be an open and shut case...... And I hope they are embarrassed by it in the end!

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    It's too bad she even has to be subjected to this kind of thing for a song so special to her. I will never forget her response and smile after she performed SITW on the Idol finale. It gives me goose bumps just thinking about it and remembering it!!!! That moment was spirit filled and very special.

There's no way this song was copied!!! When the spirit moves you, the spirit moves you!!!!
    rainbow1, lolita55, ethelu and 2 others like this.

maddkat‏ @maddkat57 36m36 minutes agoMore

If Only Carrie Underwood’s Cabin Could Talk -

http://www.cmt.com/news/1786733/if-only-carrie-underwoods-cabin-could-talk/

If Only Carrie Underwood’s Cabin Could Talk

"Something in the Water" Was Born on May 2

by alison bonaguro 49 mins agoThis is how I know that the lawsuit against Carrie Underwood will go nowhere: all the details behind the writing of “Something in the Water” are very well-documented.
    Underwood and co-writers Brett James and Chris DeStefano are being sued in federal court for song theft. Canadian songwriters Ron McNeill and Georgia Lyons claim that they’d pitched a very similar song to Underwood’s producer Mark Bright.
    But Bright wasn’t even at the songwriting session.
    That was on May 2, 2014 at Underwood’s cabin outside of Nashville, and the idea for “Water” came in part from DeStefano and in part from Underwood. “I played Carrie and Brett this music, and Carrie was immediately like, ‘I’ve got this title and concept I’ve been wanting to write,” DeStefano had told me at the time.
    “I remember it like it was yesterday, getting chill bumps when she said that title,” he’d said. “It felt so right with the music.”
    “By end of that day, we were cranking it up on the speakers and had our hands in the air. We definitely went to church that day. I can’t tell you how many times it brought me to tears. Countless times. Just constantly. It’s such a powerful thing. Each line lifts me up higher and higher,” he said of the song that went on to win the Grammy award for best country solo performance in 2015.
    In the lawsuit, McNeill and Lyons allege that the hook on both songs is structurally and lyrically identical.
    In a statement to the Tennessean, a spokesperson for Underwood said that she is saddened by the lawsuit. “Neither Carrie nor any of her co-writers ever received or heard the plaintiffs’ song. We fully expect that Carrie, Brett and Chris will be vindicated in the courts,” it says.

I wonder if there is a writing session work tape, I would kill for it!
    lolita55, ethelu and rainbow1 like this.

^^Was just thinking, does she record all of her writing sessions? We have 3 of them on her Greatest Hits album.
    lolita55, ethelu and rainbow1 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by simonplay View Post
    I wonder if there is a writing session work tape, I would kill for it!
    We were replying at the same time, lol. I asked the same question.
    lolita55, simonplay and ethelu like this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by txacar View Post
    We were replying at the same time, lol. I asked the same question.
    If she did that would sure be a blow to the other song writers case. It seems like there is so much suing going on in regards to songs. I just want to tell these people that you don't own words or song titles.

To me it seems like the only thing that could cause a problem is the fact that they are saying that they pitched it to her producer who was the one that produced it. But if he says that he never turned it over to them. Well then they have no case.

This is why I would really love to hear their version of the song.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by lolita55 View Post
    If she did that would sure be a blow to the other song writers case. It seems like there is so much suing going on in regards to songs. I just want to tell these people that you don't own words or song titles.

To me it seems like the only thing that could cause a problem is the fact that they are saying that they pitched it to her producer who was the one that produced it. But if he says that he never turned it over to them. Well then they have no case.

This is why I would really love to hear their version of the song.
    I want to hear their version, too.

Didn't Carrie say that she keeps a notebook with her, and she writes down song titles and ideas she might want to use later? She could present that notebook as evidence that she already had that song title in mind.
    lolita55 and oldyfan like this.

sco
    Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by ethelu View Post
    I want to hear their version, too.

Didn't Carrie say that she keeps a notebook with her, and she writes down song titles and ideas she might want to use later? She could present that notebook as evidence that she already had that song title in mind.
    She'll likely do that but it probably won't mean too much. I'm no lawyer but I would think the case will hinge on how closely the songs resemble each other and whether any of the writers heard the original song. There's obviously no reason any of the writers would need to steal a song. They have dozens of their own and Carrie works with plenty of other writers who are all given proper credit. It's not unheard of for a writer to accidentally make a composition with similarities to something they've heard before but in this case all of the writers will go on record that they never heard the earlier song and therefore any similarities are a coincidence.
    ethelu, lolita55, rainbow1 and 1 others like this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by sco View Post
    She'll likely do that but it probably won't mean too much. I'm no lawyer but I would think the case will hinge on how closely the songs resemble each other and whether any of the writers heard the original song. There's obviously no reason any of the writers would need to steal a song. They have dozens of their own and Carrie works with plenty of other writers who are all given proper credit. It's not unheard of for a writer to accidentally make a composition with similarities to something they've heard before but in this case all of the writers will go on record that they never heard the earlier song and therefore any similarities are a coincidence.
    Which is what I think will happen. I think if the woman who was suing Brad and his writers for remind me didn't succeed neither will these writers.
    ethelu, oldyfan, rainbow1 and 1 others like this.

Concert Stars
    Since they get to sue Carrie, if I was Carrie I would counter sue them for wasting her time and money especially if it ends up going no where/in her favor.

Junior Carrie Follower
    My main problem with the lawsuit is them wanting the profits from the song after all these years. I don't understand why they didn't sue them years ago when it was first released.
    You’re basically saying the same thing that Bobby Bones said on his show this morning:Why is she being sued after all this time if they thought it sounded the same & if the song that they said was copied is out there,he’d like to hear it.Something tells me that if there is no copy of said song out there to prove their lawsuit,then the case should be null & void if there’s no proof of the song out there.I just feel bad for Carrie because they’re trying to destroy all of Carrie’s hard work & well earned success & it just isn’t fair that she & the songwriters have to deal with this crap!!She has never stolen anything & never will!!End of story!!
    lolita55 likes this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrieslegs84 View Post
    You’re basically saying the same thing that Bobby Bones said on his show this morning:Why is she being sued after all this time if they thought it sounded the same & if the song that they said was copied is out there,he’d like to hear it.Something tells me that if there is no copy of said song out there to prove their lawsuit,then the case should be null & void if there’s no proof of the song out there.I just feel bad for Carrie because they’re trying to destroy all of Carrie’s hard work & well earned success & it just isn’t fair that she & the songwriters have to deal with this crap!!She has never stolen anything & never will!!End of story!!
    I think there is a song that they wrote before Carries song was written, I just don't understand why it isn't on YouTube. I just really want to listen to the song to see how similar it is.

I think there is a song that they wrote before Carries song was written, I just don't understand why it isn't on YouTube. I just really want to listen to the song to see how similar it is.
    They probably removed it from youtube when they decided to sue (if it ever was there).
    lolita55, rainbow1 and ethelu like this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    I have a hard time believing this because they waited 3 years to file it, and don't these people understand that just because they pitch a song to a producer doesn't mean that they actually turn it over to the artist, and considering Carrie has no problem putting songs on her album that are written by other people it makes no sense.
    We all know how how personally Carrie feels about music attached to her name. #OklahomaWind
    txacar, rainbow1, lolita55 and 1 others like this.

Concert Stars
    If this gains any more traction I will hope to hear Bright speak about his brief (if at all) association with this "submission". That way we can know weather Carrie or the other writers even ever heard of it. (very unlikely)
    ethelu, lolita55 and Carrieslegs84 like this.

Concert Stars
    Don't worry, this problem will disappear like all the other recently tried attempts to swindle money from artists.

I think the recent decision to add Tom Petty to the songwriting credits of Sam Smith's "Stay With Me" due to the similarity of "Won't Back Down" has unfortunately emboldened con-artists to seek similar court judgments whenever there is any semblance of similarity in theme or words or sound. It is so subjective, many times. I look forward to Carrie and her team prevailing.

In regard to the question about the timing of the lawsuit. The same thing happened with "Remind Me". The con-artist in that case waited for the song to achieve its maximum commercial potential (in terms of sales/streaming/airplay, etc.) so that they could ask for more money/damages. If they sue before it peaks, they limit how much they can ask for. I think I read that somewhere in the coverage of the Remind Me scandal.
    lolita55, rainbow1 and pklongbeach like this.

sco
    Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by pklongbeach View Post
    If this gains any more traction I will hope to hear Bright speak about his brief (if at all) association with this "submission". That way we can know weather Carrie or the other writers even ever heard of it. (very unlikely)
    The statement from Carrie's camp stated unequivocally that the three writers never received nor heard the song. It did not address whether Bright heard it. That is basically irrelevant since he's not a writer.

Carrie's camp had made their statement and they will likely not say anything else publicly.

•  
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast