Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree86Likes

Thread: Carrie Underwood to be inducted into Oklahoma Hall of Fame

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars

Carrie Underwood to be inducted into Oklahoma Hall of Fame

Carrie Underwood to be inducted into Oklahoma Hall of Fame | Music | tulsaworld.com

OKLAHOMA CITY — Carrie Underwood will be among this year's inductees to the Oklahoma Hall of Fame, the organization announced Thursday.The Checotah native won the fourth season of "American Idol" in 2005 and has received dozens of awards, including seven Grammy awards.

The 2017 Oklahoma Hall of Fame Honorees are: Justice Tom Colbert; Congressman Tom Cole, Moore; Bob Funk, Piedmont; Shannon Miller, Edmond; Phil Parduhn, Edmond; Hal Smith, Ardmore; and Underwood. Those who will be honored posthumously are Ada Lois Sipuel Fisher, Chickasha; and Sequoyah, of the Cherokee Nation.

The 2017 Class will be formally inducted into the Oklahoma Hall of Fame Nov. 16, in Oklahoma City.

The 90th class will join the 683 individuals who have been inducted into the Oklahoma Hall of Fame since 1928.

The Oklahoma Hall of Fame was founded in 1927 with the purpose of honoring Oklahomans in their lifetime with the state’s highest honor and educating Oklahoma’s youth on our rich history.

The Gaylord-Pickens Museum, home of the Oklahoma Hall of Fame, was opened in 2007.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

And what was this?? :

https://youtu.be/pi9kUW96_7Q

You can be inducted more than once?
    lolita55 likes this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by simonplay View Post
    And what was this?? :

https://youtu.be/pi9kUW96_7Q

You can be inducted more than once?
    That's the Oklahoma Music Hall of Fame induction
    simonplay, lolita55 and rainbow1 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by maddkat View Post
    That's the Oklahoma Music Hall of Fame induction
    Oh ok there is one for music and another one. Thanks.
    rainbow1, maddkat and lolita55 like this.

Concert Stars
    This is a huge honor for Carrie!!! So very proud of her!! Only the outstanding, get in this one!!!!

I agree - this is regarded as the highest heritage honour the state can bestow - and inductees are not usually chosen for entertainment achievements alone. It's usual for public service and charitable activities to be taken into consideration. Woody Guthrie, Patti Page, Vince Gill and Blake Shelton are among those included - but most inductees have come from outside the world of music. Early Olympic athlete Jim Thorpe, and academic and politician Elizabeth Warren are among those members with national standing

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post
    I agree - this is regarded as the highest heritage honour the state can bestow - and inductees are not usually chosen for entertainment achievements alone. It's usual for public service and charitable activities to be taken into consideration. Woody Guthrie, Patti Page, Vince Gill and Blake Shelton are among those included - but most inductees have come from outside the world of music. Early Olympic athlete Jim Thorpe, and academic and politician Elizabeth Warren are among those members with national standing
    And yet Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook are inductees which I never agreed with when it happened. They just came here for work.
    lolita55 likes this.

Concert Stars
    Especially Durant! Now, if Westbrook stays...I'll give him a break!! LOL!!
    ethelu and bluetb4 like this.

Pro sports personalities can often be a contentious choice in regionally based accolades, since they are so widely traded between teams across the country, and sometimes the world, making their roots in particular places doubtful and transient. I can't speak meaningfully on these two athletes, since I know nothing about them - but, in general terms, the argument often focuses on the inspiration they can give to young people, especially from poorer communities, if, for example, they began their careers on College athletic scholarships, and if they've continued to work with youth groups.

In any case, there are bound to be some choices in any large group, that people might disagree with, for various reasons - but (unless the process in general becomes blatantly biased) that doesn't take anything away from the honour bestowed on others. Carrie has always been proud of her roots, and is nationally recognized as an Oklahoma small-town girl. She's also increasingly recognized for giving back to the community. Although it will, of course, probably always be as a musician that's she's best known, that, too, is an area in which she's careful to include references to the traditions, values and faith she's absorbed from her home background. I think this one is a particularly appropriate induction, that should please her as among the recognitions she's especially proud of.
    bluetb4, teesharky and rainbow1 like this.

Concert Stars
    Both of those athletes did tons for the poorer communities. They both have special projects for that purpose.
    Farawayhills, hjj, ethelu and 1 others like this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbow1 View Post
    Both of those athletes did tons for the poorer communities. They both have special projects for that purpose.
    They were also chosen over lifelong Oklahomans who have done the same.
    rainbow1 likes this.

Concert Stars
    ^ haha when I first saw this I immediately got confused too due to the OK Music Hall of Fame induction. But this is even BIGGER as it is beyond music!

So proud of Carrie!
    rainbow1 likes this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Congrats Carrie. She is so deserving. That will be a big day for her. Will she sing at the induction?
    Gator likes this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Hall of Fame presenters announced | Lifestyles | tahlequahdailypress.com

The 2017 Oklahoma Hall of Fame presenters are: Kenneth Levit, Tulsa, presenting Tom Colbert; Frank Keating, Oklahoma City, presenting Tom Cole; Tom Selleck, Sherman Oaks, Calif., presenting Robert A. Funk; Mary Lou Retton, Houston, Texas, presenting Shannon Miller; V. Burns Hargis, Stillwater, presenting Phil Parduhn; Barry Switzer, Norman, presenting Hal Smith; and Vince Gill, Oklahoma City, presenting Carrie Underwood.
    bluetb4, ethelu, Pi314CA and 8 others like this.

Yes!!! so cool
    lolita55, txacar, rainbow1 and 1 others like this.

Vince Gill is the presenter I would have wanted!
    teesharky, txacar, ethelu and 6 others like this.

A big Congrats to Carrie. Vince Gill is perfect to present to Carrie.
    txacar, rainbow1, ethelu and 4 others like this.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post
    Vince Gill is the presenter I would have wanted!
    Me too! Out of everyone who I could think of, he was my wish for this.
    teesharky and rainbow1 like this.

Concert Stars
    This is perfect! Love vince! He and Carrie go way back now so this makes the most sense. Plus they are both Okies.

I wonder who will present Carrie with her Hollywood Walk of Fame star in 2018? They always have a big ceremony. Also- I wwonder who Carrie will be next to on the Walk? That person will be her "neighbor" for eternity so I hope it is someone good.

Jennifer Lawrence, Kirsten Dunst, and Snoop Dog are being inducted the same year as Carrie, as is Simon Cowell. So it will be interesting to see where they put Carrie. Cannot wait!
    rainbow1 and Gator like this.

Quote Originally Posted by teesharky View Post
    This is perfect! Love vince! He and Carrie go way back now so this makes the most sense. Plus they are both Okies.

I wonder who will present Carrie with her Hollywood Walk of Fame star in 2018? They always have a big ceremony. Also- I wwonder who Carrie will be next to on the Walk? That person will be her "neighbor" for eternity so I hope it is someone good.

Jennifer Lawrence, Kirsten Dunst, and Snoop Dog are being inducted the same year as Carrie, as is Simon Cowell. So it will be interesting to see where they put Carrie. Cannot wait!
    ...preferably not too near Simon Cowell!
    teesharky and rainbow1 like this.

•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast