Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree85Likes

Thread: The Voice & American Idol Fighting Over Carrie Underwood as a Judge

^^I'm thinking Katy's team is seriously considering this - her 2 singles from the upcoming album (which has no release date yet I think) are not doing well, so she needs some buzz.
    maddkat, rainbow1 and liz278 like this.

Junior Carrie Follower
    Quote Originally Posted by maddkat View Post
    ^ please no, they need someone who's not doing it just for PR
    I'm with you on this one.When I saw that,I was like,"they had to get an artist with zero talent,who has sold themselves out a long time ago in my opinion & puts songs out that don't appeal to everyone".There are so many things about her that rub me the wrong way & I honestly don't think she would have the ability to spot talent when she has so little of it herself.When you have to use politics to get your points across in your songs,that just turns me off because to me,it reeks of desperation.If they're looking at her to be a judge,then they have lost all credibility because that show was meant to showcase up and coming talent & to me,her singing talent is laughable because she doesn't have the range and depth that Carrie has & just seems one dimensional to me.This is all PR for her to me.It's all a joke that they even asked her to me.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrieslegs84 View Post
    I'm with you on this one.When I saw that,I was like,"they had to get an artist with zero talent,who has sold themselves out a long time ago in my opinion & puts songs out that don't appeal to everyone".There are so many things about her that rub me the wrong way & I honestly don't think she would have the ability to spot talent when she has so little of it herself.When you have to use politics to get your points across in your songs,that just turns me off because to me,it reeks of desperation.If they're looking at her to be a judge,then they have lost all credibility because that show was meant to showcase up and coming talent & to me,her singing talent is laughable because she doesn't have the range and depth that Carrie has & just seems one dimensional to me.This is all PR for her to me.It's all a joke that they even asked her to me.
    My Goodness:

1) NO ONE puts out songs that appeal to everyone.
    2) Talent is in the eyes of the beholder & for you to state she has none overlooks the fact that she has done some pretty good music, written some pretty nice songs & had some pretty big hits.
    3) Obviously you don't like her politics...is that clouding your judgement at all. Me thinks probably so. And for the record some of the best songs ever written are all about getting a political point of view across in song.
    4) They lost credibility when they put on Ellen, Mariah, Nikki, & for that matter Steven Tyler, but none of that stopped the show from producing some seriously big stars. Quite unlike The Voice which seems to be all about the judges competing & very little about the kids having post show careers.
    5) Very few people, no matter the genre, have the range of vocals that Carrie has. Are all of them laughable as well.
    Claire2004, Suellen and ethelu like this.

"Variety has also learned that “Idol” alum Carrie Underwood has held talks with ABC and producers about joining “American Idol” as a judge."
    ?American Idol?: Carrie Underwood, Adam Lambert in Talks | Variety

Not saying it's happening, but know Carrie was in Anaheim last week after she tweeted about the empty seats at the Preds v Ducks game & Variety is pretty reliable.

If she did have meetings while in LA it wouldn't surprise me if she just "humoured" ABC knowing she would already be out there? No harm in knowing what could be on offer right? Personally I'd love for this to happen but I don't really see it coming to fruition.
    DazzledByCarrie and lolita55 like this.

For one side I would love to see Carrie in TV every week but in the other hand I would love to see her just comeback at the finale or perform a new single . So Im ok with whatever she decides!

I would like to see a successful producer as a judge, not too many singers.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by CarrieUK View Post

Not saying it's happening, but know Carrie was in Anaheim last week after she tweeted about the empty seats at the Preds v Ducks game & Variety is pretty reliable.
    She wasn't in Anaheim she tweeted the following.
    Game day! Good luck @PredsNHL & @mikefisher1212 You've all worked so hard! We'll all be back home watching & cheering you on! #NSHvsANA

Quote Originally Posted by stuffy View Post
    She wasn't in Anaheim she tweeted the following.
    Oops! Sorry I must've missed that first tweet. I just assumed she was there after she commented on the attendance. I guess it was conference calls with producers if the report is true.
    txacar likes this.

To me, the timing would work out perfectly. If Carrie's lead single comes out in the Fall and the album drops next Spring while she is judging American Idol, the additional promotion/publicity could be significant at just the right time to help drive album sales. And it wouldn't compete with her touring, etc., as that wouldn't likely launch until next summer or Fall. And with the season condensed from January through May, it's not like she would be taking on a long-term commitment.
    countrymusicfan15 and jimshoe like this.

Huge Carrie Follower carriethequeen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CarrieUK View Post

If she did have meetings while in LA it wouldn't surprise me if she just "humoured" ABC knowing she would already be out there? No harm in knowing what could be on offer right? Personally I'd love for this to happen but I don't really see it coming to fruition.
    Omg! Variety is a respected and reliable source, not one of those silly gossip websites. Its no surprise producers asked her to judge- I mena duh!- but it's really interesting to hear she has "had talks" meaning it wasnt an immediate no.

I don't see judging a show as being a "washed up" artist anymore. Look at the last few seasons of Idol- JLO's career is on fire and Keith is doing really well (and well Harry Connick Jr, I never got why he was a judge...) And The Voice has some current artists as judges too.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Someone refresh my memory or tell me if I am remember something incorrectly - when Carrie attended the Golden Globes this year, was she sitting at a table with someone from ABC/Disney? I'm not saying she would definitely do Idol, although I definitely think she would do Idol before the Voice as long as Idol is on the air. As someone else has said, it certainly can't hurt to talk to ABC and see what they might offer, even if she isn't serious about considering it. And "talks" could be something as brief as contacting Ann to see if Carrie is interested. Plus, aren't they moving it to the East coast when it returns? That would be a much easier commute, plus the auditions are centralized at Disneyland and Disney World, so the judges don't have to travel all over the country for those anymore.

We've seen that someone like Keith can do a stint as a judge on AI and still have a thriving (really, almost better than it has been in years) music career. He still tours and we know he is a family man. Maybe it isn't as far fetched an idea as I thought initially? Plus, we know Carrie wants that CMA EOTY badly and we know that Blake won it by being a judge on the Voice, although he is also with the right agent, so it still might not get it for her if she does it. And lastly, our girl was a mass communications major who initially had dreams of a television journalist style career when she had given up on the dream of a music career. This would certainly put that degree to use!
    PRGuy79 likes this.
    "Thank you for that ‘Captain Obvious’ sense of humor because you know what, we not only hit the high notes, you forgot to mention we generally hit the ‘right’ notes as well."
    -Kelly Clarkson to Scott Borchetta about American Idol artists
    Thanks so much Danielle!

Katy Perry confirmed herself that she will be a judge.
    Kizmet311 likes this.

Huge Carrie Follower carriethequeen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kizmet311 View Post
    Someone refresh my memory or tell me if I am remember something incorrectly - when Carrie attended the Golden Globes this year, was she sitting at a table with someone from ABC/Disney? I'm not saying she would definitely do Idol, although I definitely think she would do Idol before the Voice as long as Idol is on the air. As someone else has said, it certainly can't hurt to talk to ABC and see what they might offer, even if she isn't serious about considering it. And "talks" could be something as brief as contacting Ann to see if Carrie is interested. Plus, aren't they moving it to the East coast when it returns? That would be a much easier commute, plus the auditions are centralized at Disneyland and Disney World, so the judges don't have to travel all over the country for those anymore.

We've seen that someone like Keith can do a stint as a judge on AI and still have a thriving (really, almost better than it has been in years) music career. He still tours and we know he is a family man. Maybe it isn't as far fetched an idea as I thought initially? Plus, we know Carrie wants that CMA EOTY badly and we know that Blake won it by being a judge on the Voice, although he is also with the right agent, so it still might not get it for her if she does it. And lastly, our girl was a mass communications major who initially had dreams of a television journalist style career when she had given up on the dream of a music career. This would certainly put that degree to use!
    Yes, I just found the screenshot I took of the tweet that said she was sitting with Ron Clements, an animator and director at Disney. He directed The Little Mermaid, Aladdin, and most recently Moana. Could mean nothing, or maybe they have something they're working on together. Who knows! Don't really see any connections to Idol though (the Globes were in Jan and at that time ABC/Disney wasn't interested, but NBC was)
    Kizmet311 likes this.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by simonplay View Post
    Katy Perry confirmed herself that she will be a judge.
    🤦🏼*♀️🤦🏼*♀️🤦🏼*♀️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    My local DJs were discussing AI this morning. They talked about Katy Perry being confirmed as the "anchor" judge and they also mentioned that Carrie was being considered. The female DJ said that it would be "huge" if they could get Carrie and she continued to say "Don't you think Carrie would be considered the anchor judge if they get her". The male DJ followed up by saying that maybe Carrie would be a rotating or guest judge rather than a permanent one. Obviously they know nothing more than we do and they are a country station, so I think they would naturally favor Carrie over Katy anyway.

I haven't read any of the press releases concerning Katy, but are they referring to her as an "anchor" judge? Do you think that could mean that she might be the only one that is on every week and they other judges might rotate? I could certainly see Carrie doing it if she is one of many rotating judges and the time commitment isn't as heavy.
    "Thank you for that ‘Captain Obvious’ sense of humor because you know what, we not only hit the high notes, you forgot to mention we generally hit the ‘right’ notes as well."
    -Kelly Clarkson to Scott Borchetta about American Idol artists
    Thanks so much Danielle!

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    I was never a fan of Katy nor her music.......
    rainbow1 likes this.

Junior Carrie Follower
    Quote Originally Posted by rcramer View Post
    I was never a fan of Katy nor her music.......
    To be honest,I was never a fan of Katy or her music because one,she sold her self out in very beginning of her career just so she could look cool and relevant when all she looked like was an idiot.When you have to sell yourself out just to sell albums,it just makes you look cheap.Two,she has to use sex constantly to sell records & when you do that,it shows that you have nothing else to talk about in your music & you've run out of ideas to write songs about so you just keep recycling ideas to keep yourself relevant.When they hired her as a judge for AI,they lost any credibility to look for real talent & will end up getting a bunch of Katy Perry wannabes that have no talent whatsoever.
    lolita55 likes this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    I like Katy but I don't think she will be a good judge. Carrie would be an awesome judge in my opinion, but unless Mike retires soon I don't see her becoming one because of her son, and the time spent away from Mike.

Plus I think Carrie may be to nice to be a judge.

Concert Stars
    What's this rumor about Daughtry? I love him
    but did not think he was big enough a celebrity to be picked.
    lolita55 likes this.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by teesharky View Post
    What's this rumor about Daughtry? I love him
    but did not think he was big enough a celebrity to be picked.
    reported by US Weekly so probably unlikely.
    lolita55 and teesharky like this.

•  
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast