• 2 Post By simonplay
  • 1 Post By Farawayhills

Thread: Carrie invites Crytal Gayle to join the Opry

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars

Carrie invites Crytal Gayle to join the Opry

Crystal Gayle invited to join Opry

video & audio at the link

Crystal Gayle has been making music for more than 40 years, and on Tuesday night, she got one of the biggest surprises of her career. .During Gayle’s performance of her classic, “Don’t It Make My Brown Eyes Blue,” Opry member Carrie Underwood walked onto the Ryman stage to sing with her. Then, she made Gayle an offer she couldn’t refuse, asking if she’d “like to join the Opry family officially.”
    Gayle immediately agreed, and the two embraced. “I was really excited when they said Carrie wanted to sing with me…very surprised,” Gayle said after her performance. "I felt like a part of the family for many years (because) my sister (Loretta Lynn) is a member, so this is just really special and nice.”
    “Crystal Gayle’s music is truly timeless, like the Grand Ole Opry,” said Opry Vice President and General Manager Pete Fisher. “Her velvety voice and friendly personality will make this special family even more special.”
    Gayle will be officially inducted into the Opry during the Jan. 21 show, which will also be held at the Ryman Auditorium. Gayle made her first Ryman appearance nearly 50 years ago, when she was just 16 years old: “I can still see the stage," she said. "I was probably wringing my hands...I sang (a Marty Robbins song) and wore a little shiny dress my mother made me."

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Official Crystal Gayle
    What a nice surprise at the Ryman tonight. I am honored and thrilled to be invited to join the Opry family by Carrie Underwood. It was also great singing with Carrie, one of the best female vocalists ever. Love you Carrie!!! ❤️

Concert Stars
    Saw this on twitter! So happy for Crystal!

My my I didn't know she was so short. At 5'10" I tower over Carrie...I'd look like a basketball forward next to Crystal!

Wow...I honesty thought that she was already a member!
    rainbow1 and nccountrygal like this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by abbeyjones18 View Post
    Wow...I honesty thought that she was already a member!
    I thought so too. When I heard this last night my first thought was 'isn't she already a member?'
    rainbow1 and glenn7 like this.

Huge Carrie Follower
    I wished some one could have caped them singing together by video that would have been awesome to watch and see.. love that Carrie was the one to ask Crystal the look on Crystal face looking at Carrie when asked was priceless.
    rainbow1 likes this.

Concert Stars
    Snippet at the site. Wish they would have posted the entire video!

Grand Ole Opry@opry 15h15 hours agoNashville, TN
    We can't. We just can't. @carrieunderwood @TheCrystalGayle #Opry #OnlyTheOpry
    rainbow1 and teesharky like this.

Carrie Guru
    If you guys can't wait for the opry to post the show, you can at least listen to the audio only here. The duet starts at 8:30 of the video.

Pi314CA, rainbow1, txacar and 4 others like this.

Carrie Guru
    It's times like this that I miss Windmills. She would have loved this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by opry051008 View Post
    If you guys can't wait for the opry to post the show, you can at least listen to the audio only here. The duet starts at 8:30 of the video.

thanks!! It's great!!

say again Carrie was born to sing music like this.Wow

made a mp3 of DIMMBEB - https://soundcloud.com/maddkat2/dont...rown-eyes-blue

song and the invite - http://k003.kiwi6.com/hotlink/gzela6...and_invite.mp3

Huge Carrie Follower
    thank you opry and maddkat, Carrie voice singing this song I love this with Crystal they sound so wonderful together.
    rainbow1 and Gator like this.

Opry invitation!

https://youtu.be/lLt_6LDEOBM
    rainbow1 and txacar like this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Thanks for the clips!

I was delighted that the Opry chose Carrie to issue this invitation - for me it has a symbolic resonance, because I see definite similarities in the ways the two ladies represent their genre to a wider audience in their respective eras.

"Don't It Make My Brown Eyes Blue" has qualities that make it stylistically and vocally a groundbreaking song. It is influenced by Blues, and the "night club" jazz style of torch singing - and the writer, Richard Leigh, who normally wrote for Country artists, apparently originally intended to offer this song to Shirley Bassey, the Welsh "diva", of partly African heritage, who was associated with that vocal style. However, Crystal Gayle gives it a very distinctive Country styling, with a more intimate, quieter delivery, and lingering glides over some of the syllables. Hargus Robbins (who goes by the nickname "Pig"), a renowned Nashville session player, developed the standout piano accompaniment "off the cuff" in the three studio takes that Crystal used to record it.
    The combination gave the song a strong mixed genre appeal. It won both a performance Grammy for Crystal and a song Grammy for Richard Leigh, in the Country field, and was also nominated in the Pop field. It scored heavily on both charts, and also internationally, and became Crystal's signature song.

It's this ability to provide relatively unusual songs, with a characteristic personal styling, and widely accessible audience appeal, while, at the same, choosing a lyric theme and using a vocal delivery that keeps them firmly rooted in Country, that I admire in Carrie - and which, for me, encapsulates her wider significance for the contemporary genre. I know some here may not agree, but I feel the approach to Country Music that she shows in her best work gives her more in common with the genre of eras like the '70s than with the often more blatantly Pop imitating '90s. And in today's rather stylistically forking Mainstream, it puts her more firmly in the loyalist centre, where she can draw from both wings, and retain appeal to a broad range of tastes.

I don't actually think that Carrie is likely to add this particular song to her own repertoire. With both singers as Opry members, and the song being so closely associated with Crystal, I don't see Carrie as being likely to move onto that ground while Crystal is still happily contributing to the genre (her great-niece, Sarah McCoart, sometimes sings it at festivals).

But where I do see it as significant for Carrie is in incorporating elements of the general style - and, in particular, vocal phrasing, into her own style. I think songs like LINLYA give Carrie opportunities to become more associated with this type of singing, as one element in her total repertoire - and, as well as classic covers at special events, I hope to see some of that in her own future projects.
    rainbow1 likes this.

•