Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree1011Likes

Thread: NBC to unveil new theme song for 'Sunday Night Football'

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars

NBC to unveil new theme song for 'Sunday Night Football'

NBC to unveil new theme song for 'Sunday Night Football'

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — Carrie Underwood won't be "waiting all day for Sunday night" this fall when NBC premieres a new theme song for its prime-time "Sunday Night Football" program.

The Grammy-winning country star will be singing a new theme song, "Oh, Sunday Night," during the first game telecast on Sept. 11 between the New England Patriots and the Arizona Cardinals. The song is based on her 2014 hit country duet "Somethin' Bad" with Miranda Lambert, but with new lyrics and additional changes to fit the program.

Joan Jett's "I Hate Myself for Loving You" had been basis for the program's theme song since 2006, with various singers such as Pink and Faith Hill.

Fred Gaudelli, NBC's executive producer of "Sunday Night Football" and "Thursday Night Football," said he knows fans of the Joan Jett song would have wanted them to keep it, but he was looking for an update as the program started its second decade on NBC.

"The song had lasted 10 years, but I didn't know how much more we could stay with the song without it feeling routine," he said.

When Underwood took over the job of singing the theme song in 2013, she said the network was always open to hearing her creative input. She started playing around with the lyrics of "Somethin' Bad" and presented a demo to Gaudelli.

"It has such a great stomp-clap, a 'We Will Rock You' kind of feel to it," said Underwood. "This is such a high energy song."

Together with the original writers, Underwood said they changed the song to start off a little quiet and build up to a peak to heighten the excitement as well as adding a bridge to fit together with a new video introduction.

Underwood said she's excited to start filming the new intro, which typically includes appearances by some of the NFL's top players, because she sometimes gets to meet the athletes.

"I feel like every time I see Andrew Luck, he's like, 'My girlfriend loves you!" Underwood said.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    That is awesome! I love it when Carrie takes creative control on something, but also cool that they got the original writers to help with the lyrics for the theme song. I'm sure there will be plenty of people tweeting their disappointment that the song has changed - it's been that way for 10 years and people get used to something and like it, but SB really does have a great beat for this kind of thing. Plus, I'm glad that Carrie gets the chance to make the SNF theme song her own. I guess when we saw that picture of her recording something for SNF, it might have been the demo for the SB version! Can't wait to hear it!
    ethelu, rainbow1, Suellen and 7 others like this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    I went back and listened to SB because I can't get CB out of my mind, lol. I think it will work great with lyrics about SNF. It's a great idea and so like Carrie to want to do something new. Can't wait to hear it!

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    ooo cool, can't wait to here it
    rainbow1 and teesharky like this.

Wow!

I expect this year will be a year with quite a bit of hate online. Not because of Carrie but because of the song. The purists will be upset about a change (like when Carrie took over for Faith)

I'm excited for the song!

It feels like it's so random with SB, though. Whatever I'm sure it would be great.
    pklongbeach likes this.

Great idea! 10 years of the other song was enough tbh.

A lil city in the middle of a lil island in the middle of a lil country in the middle of the sea
    Quote Originally Posted by ethelu View Post
    I went back and listened to SB because I can't get CB out of my mind, lol. I think it will work great with lyrics about SNF. It's a great idea and so like Carrie to want to do something new. Can't wait to hear it!
    Lol.. Truth here.. i hear the "ooohooohooohooooh2x"part then i hear "jenny grew up wild..." Ahahaha
    hope it sounds great and will not kind of force the lyrics to the song... : D looking forward to it.. And she'll sing it solo!
    i want to hear the bridge as it will be written specifically for this song...

Huge Carrie Follower MSCarriefan's Avatar
    I always thought that Something Bad could be bigger and better and I think this is it. I can't wait.

Insane Carrie Fan Carrieroxmysox2011's Avatar
    Oh wow can't wait to hear it.
    ethelu and CrazyAboutCarrie like this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by abbeyjones18 View Post
    It feels like it's so random with SB, though. Whatever I'm sure it would be great.
    It is a little random, lol. But since they decided they wanted something new and Carrie decided to try it out and send it to them, they must have liked it! You would think they would go with a more well-known or older song, but I still think SB will sound great as the theme song. People who aren't familiar with SB may think it's just a brand new song specifically for SNF, lol.
    ethelu and rainbow1 like this.

Junior Carrie Follower
    IDK is it a whole song with length just like SB?? would it be available in itunes?? if it is hope it will do well sales wise.

Concert Stars
    How exciting! Now if they'd just invite Carrie to perform the half-time show for the Superbowl all would be well with the world. After that the only thing to look forward to would be her run for President

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Marvin Poe View Post
    IDK is it a whole song with length just like SB?? would it be available in itunes?? if it is hope it will do well sales wise.
    I would expect it to be about the same length as the current intro song, although I can't tell you exactly how long that is. I can't remember if it allows for two full verses and choruses or not, but SB is a pretty short song, so it might work the length it is now. If the past theme song isn't available for sale, I don't think this one would be either.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    I have a feeling a lot more guys will miss Carrie's long hair than they will the old song. If you watch the SB video, Carrie looked so hot with that big, tousled hair. I wonder what she'll do with her hair for SNF? I love her short hair, but you know how guys love long hair.
    rainbow1 and bluetb4 like this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    ^I love her short hair so much

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin Poe View Post
    the opening is usually about 2 minutes so I would expect it to be that length.Maybe a verse and two choruses.
    Kizmet311, ethelu, Gator and 1 others like this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    https://www.carrieunderwoodofficial....ight-football/

“I love being part of the Sunday Night Football family and can’t wait for the fans to hear the new theme song,” said Underwood, who is in her fourth season performing the SNF open for NBC.

“We’re excited to kick off our second decade of Sunday Night Football on NBC with a new opening theme,” said Fred Gaudelli, Executive Producer of NBC’s Sunday Night Football and Thursday Night Football. “Earlier this offseason, Carrie said she had a special idea for a new SNF open song. When we got into the recording studio in Nashville, the song instantly came to life, and will be a dynamic addition to our show.”

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by LouisaJessie View Post
    lol, I was just telling someone I bet it was Carrie's idea
    rainbow1, teesharky and Gator like this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by maddkat View Post
    lol, I was just telling someone I bet it was Carrie's idea
    That girl is not going to be content doing the same old, same old year after year, lol. I just love how take charge she is in every aspect of her career. Some people will be disappointed with the change, but maybe Carrie can wear short shorts or a short dress in the intro and they won't care anymore, lol.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Kizmet311 View Post
    That girl is not going to be content doing the same old, same old year after year, lol. I just love how take charge she is in every aspect of her career. Some people will be disappointed with the change, but maybe Carrie can wear short shorts or a short dress in the intro and they won't care anymore, lol.
    maybe she'll be on that motorcycle again....with that same get up.That'll make people forget the change in song.
    Ann055, liz278, rainbow1 and 3 others like this.

•  
    Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast