• 8 Post By txacar
  • 5 Post By kiwicountry
  • 4 Post By Mirasa45A
  • 9 Post By Farawayhills
  • 4 Post By rainbow1
  • 5 Post By Farawayhills
  • 1 Post By rainbow1
  • 6 Post By Farawayhills

Thread: Carrie Underwood on Her Father: 'I Would Love to Be the Girl That He Thinks I Am'

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars

Carrie Underwood on Her Father: 'I Would Love to Be the Girl That He Thinks I Am'

Carrie Underwood Song for Her Father: "The Girl You Think I Am" : People.com

Carrie Underwood is definitely a daddy's girl.

The proof is in "The Girl You Think I Am," a tune off Storyteller she co-wrote about a daughter's beautiful relationship with her father.

"'The Girl You Think I Am' is the one song on the album most likely to make me cry when I think about it or when I hear it," Underwood, 33, says.

"When we were writing it, myself and Hillary Lindsey and David Hodges, we were all channeling our own experiences and there's certain lines that apply to our fathers," she says. "Anybody that knows my family will probably be able to very much pick out the lines that are about my dad and it's about how great a father is in a daughter's life."

It's also easy to pick up on the fact that Underwood's dad, Stephen Underwood, has a pretty high – not to mention, accurate – opinion of his youngest daughter.

"When I think about my dad I know that he thinks I am so much better than I am for real," says a modest Underwood. "I would love to be the girl that he thinks I am because he holds me up so high and thinks I can do no wrong. He thinks I'm brave. He thinks I'm beautiful. He thinks I can do anything. He thinks I'm fearless. And he is my biggest fan so that's definitely one that resonates with me and my own father."
    liz278, Smokyiiis, mofan and 15 others like this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Nice father's day promo for ST
    txacar, ethelu, Suellen and 9 others like this.

Insane Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by maddkat View Post
    Nice father's day promo for ST
    I wish Carrie would perform it on one of the morning shows or something, leading up to Fathers Day. It would touch so many people.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    I so love this song. I asked my co-worker if she ended up using it for her father-daughter dance at her wedding this past weekend, but one of her sisters suggested another song (Daddy, Dance With Me) and she ended up using it instead. My best friend is getting married in a couple months, but I've hesitated mentioning it to her, because I honestly don't know how she is feeling about the father-daughter dance. I know she loves her dad, but I think he has been a bit of a heavy drinker in the past and sometimes I get the impression she is almost ashamed of him, so I haven't pushed to ask her about that dance. I wasn't very close to my dad either and since he wasn't able to walk when I got married, I danced with my mom instead to "So Small". Unfortunately, I got married before Mama's Song came out, or it would have been perfect for my mother-daughter dance.
    CrazyAboutCarrie and tigercae like this.

Concert Stars
    I put TGYTIA on Facebook for Fathers Day Week. I used the lyric video with the little girl dancing on her daddy's feet.

Junior Carrie Follower
    This song is personally one of my fave songs on the Storyteller album! I am a mummy and daddy's girl so I can relate to both this and Mamma's Song. I feel the same as Carrie about my dad putting me on a pedi stool with a halo on my head. I know he still sees me as his little girl with pig tails! I think I will make him a video for Father's Day that is played to this song. Father's Day here is in September.
    txacar, bluetb4, lizcarlo and 2 others like this.

Carrie Guru
    This news is also at Yahoo News -- Very nice !

https://www.yahoo.com/news/carrie-un...161508030.html
    bluetb4, ethelu, tigercae and 1 others like this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    This song's been one of the biggest "growers" for me on the album.

I think it shows a strong advance in Carrie's songwriting since both "All American Girl" (a song she also related to her father in comments about it) and "Mama's Song". The lyrical content definitely strikes me as more advanced - it makes a good balance between the father's love and expectations, and the girl's awareness of her own limitations, and fears of not living up to those ideals.

Carrie's voice is perfect on this song (and to a large degree, carries the interpretation by her own never overstated phrasing.). It's one of those songs that holds interest mainly through the believable clarity of the singer's own expression. That is not to say that the music is unimportant - from a repetitive and rather basic intro, that sets the scene for the singer's entry, the music becomes progressively more varied and significant (note particularly the changes around 1.22, 2.19 and 2.32). This is one of several songs on Storyteller, in fact, where I find the vocal like and the musical line complement each other particularly well.
    It is, however, the lilt in the passages like "All I want more than anything" that particularly make the song for me, and these are voice driven. I would associate this song with "What I Never Knew I Always Wanted" as examples of songs that use melody phrases reminiscent of earlier folk music, that I find especially pleasing.

The album booklet (or at least the copy that I received) lacked much detail - which I felt was regretable. Were we ever told who was singing with Carrie on this track?

Concert Stars
    Faraway, it says Perry Coleman and Hillary Lindsay.

Thanks, Rainbow. That information, like most other song credits, isn't in my booklet (I don't know whether the printing of my copy just missed a page out, or whether the version sold in my country was deliberately shorter, for some reason).

Perry Coleman is on several of Carrie's albums, right back to Some Hearts - as well as having wide background credits on Nashville albums.
    txacar, ethelu, teesharky and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by rainbow1 View Post
    Faraway, it says Perry Coleman and Hillary Lindsay.
    Could you also tell who sings on Mexico? Because there is a distinct male voice on the chorus.

Concert Stars
    Perry Coleman, Hillary Lindsey and James Moore.
    Farawayhills likes this.

Thanks, Rainbow.
    Jamie Moore is a co-writer of Mexico - but there are several musicians, both male and female, with that name, and although it does seem likely, I can't be sure that Jamie the writer and James the singer are the same person.
    Carrie's Jamie Moore also co-wrote a track on the Swon Brothers album, and works a lot in Christian music.

Although, as I said, my booklet doesn't give full credits, I've managed to find a full list on-line, which gives the track numbers they appear on. (One interesting point I wasn't aware of is that Carrie played percussion on the album cut of "Church Bells" - so her recent live performance was following that precedent.)

A&R – Kirsten Wines
    Accordion – Charlie Judge* (tracks: 11)
    Acoustic Guitar – Bryan Sutton (tracks: 1, 2, 8), Forest Glen Whitehead (tracks: 5, 7), Ilya Toshinsky (tracks: 3, 10 - 13), Patrick McGrath (4) (tracks: 4, 9)
    Backing Vocals – Carrie Underwood (tracks: 10, 12, 13), Chris DeStefano (tracks: 5, 7), Hillary Lindsey (tracks: 1, 2, 5, 7, 8, 10 - 13), James Moore* (tracks: 12), Jerry Flowers (2) (tracks: 9), Perry Coleman (tracks: 10 - 12), Sam Hunt (4) (tracks: 4), The McCrary Sisters (tracks: 6), Zach Crowell (tracks: 4, 9)
    Banjo – Patrick McGrath (4) (tracks: 4)
    Bass – Dave Roe (tracks: 5, 6, 7), Jay Joyce (tracks: 5, 7), Jerry Flowers (2) (tracks: 1, 2, 8), Jimmie Lee Sloas (tracks: 4, 9 - 11), Michael Rhodes (tracks: 3, 12, 13)
    Cello – Devin Malone (tracks: 4)
    Creative Director, Design – Scott McDaniel
    Drum Programming [Synth Pad] – Jay Joyce (tracks: 1, 2, 5, 7, 8)
    Drums – Chris McHugh (tracks: 3, 4, 9 - 13)
    Drums, Percussion – Fred Eltringham (tracks: 1, 2, 5 - 8)
    Edited By [Digital] – Chris Small (tracks: 3, 10 - 13), Derek Bason (tracks: 3, 10 - 13), Zach Crowell (tracks: 4, 9)
    Electric Guitar – Derek Wells (tracks: 4, 9), Devin Malone (tracks: 4, 9), Jay Joyce (tracks: 1, 2, 5 - 8), Kenny Greenberg (tracks: 3, 10 - 13), Rob McNelley (tracks: 6), Tom Bukovac (tracks: 1, 2, 8, 12)
    Engineer – Caleb VanBuskirk (tracks: 1, 2, 5 - 8), Paul Cossette (tracks: 1, 2, 5 - 8)
    Engineer [Additional] – Adam Chagnon (tracks: 1, 2, 4 - 9), Andrew Schubert (tracks: 1, 2, 4 - 9)
    Executive-Producer [Co-ordination] – Kenley Flynn (tracks: 4, 9), Mike "Frog" Griffith* (tracks: 3, 10 - 13)
    Guitar – Zach Crowell (tracks: 4)
    Guitar [Dobro] – Adam Ollendorff (tracks: 4)
    Harmonica – Travis Meadows (tracks: 6)
    Keyboards – Jay Joyce (tracks: 1, 2, 8), John Deaderick (tracks: 1, 2, 5 - 8), Zach Crowell (tracks: 4, 9)
    Lead Vocals – Carrie Underwood
    Management – Ann Edelblute
    Mandolin – Ilya Toshinsky (tracks: 11), Patrick McGrath (4) (tracks: 9)
    Mastered By – Adam Ayan
    Mixed By – Chris Lord-Alge (tracks: 1, 2, 4 - 9), Derek Bason (tracks: 3, 10 - 13)
    Mixed By [Assistant] – Keith Armstrong (tracks: 1, 2, 5 - 8), Nik Karpen (tracks: 1, 2, 5 - 8)
    Pedal Steel Guitar – Devin Malone (tracks: 4)
    Percussion – Carrie Underwood (tracks: 3), Eric Darken (tracks: 3, 10 - 13)
    Photography By – Randee St. Nicholas
    Piano – Jimmy Nichols (tracks: 3, 10 - 13), Zach Crowell (tracks: 4)
    Producer – Jay Joyce (tracks: 1, 2, 5 - 8), Mark Bright (tracks: 3, 10 - 13), Zach Crowell (tracks: 4, 9)
    Producer [Assistant] – Melissa Spillman (tracks: 1, 2, 5 - 8)
    Programmed By – Zach Crowell (tracks: 4, 9)
    Programmed By, Synthesizer – Charlie Judge* (tracks: 3, 10, 12, 13)
    Recorded By – Derek Bason (tracks: 3, 10 - 13), Jason Hall (tracks: 1, 2, 5 - 8), Nick Autry (tracks: 4, 9)
    Recorded By [Assistant] – Kam Luchterhand
    Recorded By [Assistant], Mixed By [Assistant] – Chris Small (tracks: 3, 10 - 13)

(A few other points that struck me from the list - Bryan Sutton is arguably the leading figure in the roots genre's acoustic guitar work who to quote his bio "bridges the bluegrass flatpicking traditions of the 20th century with the dynamic roots music scene of the 21st." He's won guitarist of the year nine times at the IBMA.
    Jerry Flowers has been with Keith Urban since his early days with The Ranch
    John Deaderick and Fred Eltringham have both toured with the Dixie Chicks
    Forest Glen Whitehead produced Kelsea Ballerini's well-received debut album)
    txacar, rainbow1, ethelu and 3 others like this.

•