• 2 Post By Mirasa45A
  • 4 Post By Farawayhills
  • 3 Post By LouisaJessie
  • 2 Post By txacar

Thread: 11 Years Ago: Carrie Underwood Makes Her Grand Ole Opry Debut

Concert Stars

11 Years Ago: Carrie Underwood Makes Her Grand Ole Opry Debut

Carrie Underwood Makes Her Grand Ole Opry Debut

Eleven years ago today (June 10, 2005) was an unforgettable day for Carrie Underwood: It was on this day that the Oklahoma native made her debut on the Grand Ole Opry, only a couple of weeks after she was declared the Season 4 winner of American Idol.
    During her first Opry performance, Underwood performed “Inside Your Heaven,” the song she sang after she was crowned the Idol champion, as well as the Roy Orbison song “Crying,” which she also performed on the TV singing competition.
    “To be honest, I don’t remember too much about my first trip to Nashville as an American Idol winner,” Underwood tells USA Today. “Everything happened so fast; it was all such a blur. The show ended May 25. I went home for a week or so to see my family, then came [to Nashville] to make my debut.”
    The singer says that she always dreamed of performing on the famous stage, even while growing up in her small town of Checotah, Okla.
    “I don’t even know how, but I always knew what [the Grand Ole Opry] was,” Underwood says. “You don’t have to see it or hear it, you automatically just know what it is. That’s how legendary it is.”
    At the time of Underwood’s first appearance on the Grand Ole Opry, her debut album, Some Hearts, was still five months away from its release date. But it didn’t take long for the Opry to realize the significance of Underwood’s presence: Less than three years later, on March 15, 2008, she was invited to become a member of the Grand Ole Opry, and she was inducted on May 10, 2008, by Garth Brooks.
    “The induction award they gave me says, ‘Hey, you’re a part of the family,’” Underwood says. “It means a lot to me because it’s the heart of country music, the church, the sacred place, the super-elite club that says you love this music.”

Read More: Carrie Underwood Makes Her Grand Ole Opry Debut | Carrie Underwood Makes Her Grand Ole Opry Debut
    glenn7, Pi314CA, bluetb4 and 7 others like this.

Concert Stars
    And thanks to Madkatt.....here's the performance of CRYING at the Grand Ole Opry in 2005

https://soundcloud.com/maddkat1-3028...ing-opry-62005

Carrie Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokyiiis View Post
    And thanks to Madkatt.....here's the performance of CRYING at the Grand Ole Opry in 2005

https://soundcloud.com/maddkat1-3028...ing-opry-62005

Thank you for the link. In my opinion, Carrie's version of "Crying" is the BEST cover of this song. The sadness in her voice is making it the BEST cover. People might argue that KD Lang's version is better, but I say "NO" -- Carrie's version is the BEST.
    gna and Smokyiiis like this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Thanks for that!

While I'm afraid I can't quite go with the judgment on kathy dawn's sublime version of that song, which, as she said of Roy Orbison at her tribute at the Songwriters' Hall of Fame, speaks to the loneliness in the most crowded of honky tonks, and the yearning we feel in our dreams - it gave me huge pride, and a shudder of emotion, when I later heard that Carrie had picked "Cryin'" to sing on her Opry debut. It took great courage and a real sense of history and the links in the chain of influence (something that Carrie had also shown by covering Bonnie Raitt on Idol - a quality I often feel in her work, and for which I think she gets too little credit. Carrie never came from nowhere, and she's been aware throughout of the roots that gave her music its soul)

I see certain similarities in the careers of Carrie and kathy dawn. Both were from small towns (Consort, Alberta, pop 700, is even smaller than Checotah), both had schoolteacher mothers, both forged their musical experience through covering songs by earlier singers. (Simon Cowell once used "sounding like a small town covers band" as a disparagement of one of her choices - but she should wear that experience as a badge of honour). Importantly in this context, Nashville saw both as outsiders, and it was the Opry that gave them their acceptance. Just as Pete Fisher saw Carrie's potential within about a fortnight of her winning her TV talent show, so it was Sarah Ophelia Cannon ("Cousin Minnie Pearl"), whom k d called 'the liberal genius who ruled the Opry', who was one of her biggest supporters in the town. (The other was the veteran producer, Owen Bradley, one of the joint creators of the Nashville Sound, who saw her as "the second coming" of his protegee, Patsy Cline - an insider advantage Carrie never actually had to the same degree, which is a greater tribute to her own hard work in building her success).

As you can gather, I admire both ladies - but if anyone would like to compare k d's version of "Cryin'", this is a link
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNbnFVBVnz0
    gna, txacar, rainbow1 and 1 others like this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Happy Opry Anniversary Carrie! It's always nice to see her up on that stage.
    bluetb4, rainbow1 and Smokyiiis like this.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post
    Thanks for that!

While I'm afraid I can't quite go with the judgment on kathy dawn's sublime version of that song, which, as she said of Roy Orbison at her tribute at the Songwriters' Hall of Fame, speaks to the loneliness in the most crowded of honky tonks, and the yearning we feel in our dreams - it gave me huge pride, and a shudder of emotion, when I later heard that Carrie had picked "Cryin'" to sing on her Opry debut. It took great courage and a real sense of history and the links in the chain of influence (something that Carrie had also shown by covering Bonnie Raitt on Idol - a quality I often feel in her work, and for which I think she gets too little credit. Carrie never came from nowhere, and she's been aware throughout of the roots that gave her music its soul)

I see certain similarities in the careers of Carrie and kathy dawn. Both were from small towns (Consort, Alberta, pop 700, is even smaller than Checotah), both had schoolteacher mothers, both forged their musical experience through covering songs by earlier singers. (Simon Cowell once used "sounding like a small town covers band" as a disparagement of one of her choices - but she should wear that experience as a badge of honour). Importantly in this context, Nashville saw both as outsiders, and it was the Opry that gave them their acceptance. Just as Pete Fisher saw Carrie's potential within about a fortnight of her winning her TV talent show, so it was Sarah Ophelia Cannon ("Cousin Minnie Pearl"), whom k d called 'the liberal genius who ruled the Opry', who was one of her biggest supporters in the town. (The other was the veteran producer, Owen Bradley, one of the joint creators of the Nashville Sound, who saw her as "the second coming" of his protegee, Patsy Cline - an insider advantage Carrie never actually had to the same degree, which is a greater tribute to her own hard work in building her success).

As you can gather, I admire both ladies - but if anyone would like to compare k d's version of "Cryin'", this is a link
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNbnFVBVnz0
    Thanks for this, Faraway. I am such a huge K.D. Lang fan. For me, she is second to only Roy Orbison performing "Cryin". So hauntingly beautiful!! Carrie is my favorite artist ever and her version is wonderful but the end of the song falls a bit short on both her Idol performance and Opry debut. Like the judges on Idol, I wanted her to take it to the limit on the ending (I think she took the judges comments seriously because the Opry version is very nicely done).

This is my favorite K.D. performance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tv7S8v3rM-U
    Farawayhills and Smokyiiis like this.

•