• 4 Post By lizcarlo
  • 6 Post By Farawayhills
  • 2 Post By Ann055

Thread: Single Review: Carrie Underwood, “Church Bells”

Junior Carrie Follower northtexas's Avatar

Single Review: Carrie Underwood, “Church Bells”

Single Review: Carrie Underwood, “Church Bells”

Single Review: Carrie Underwood, ?Church Bells? ? Country Universe

Miranda Lambert may have the reputation as the genre’s rebel girl, but I’d be a lot more nervous about crossing Carrie Underwood.Sure, she’s America’s Sweetheart, thanks in large part to her legacy as the most successful American Idol of all-time. But America’s Sweetheart is building up quite a large body count.Yes, another man who crossed her will pay for his sins with his life. Those sins are usually one of two things: cheating or abusing. The former is more staunchly in the country music tradition, but the latter seems a bit more justified, don’t you think?This one’s the latter, with an abusive husband being prepared a spiked drink after forcing his wife into dark sunglasses at Sunday service. The church bells framework hasn’t been used so well since The Browns sang of “The Three Bells” back in the fifties, though I’m assuming that Jimmy Brown died of natural causes.Honestly, nobody does this kind of thing better than her. “Church Bells” is a classic Underwood murder song: a dramatic production, a flawless vocal performance, and just enough of that girl next door sincerity to keep you from asking yourself, “Wait…Did she just kill somebody again?”Grade: A

Concert Stars
    Awesome
    review! Nice to see Carrie get some love finally!!
    mooret, rainbow1 and Ann055 like this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    Love this review!!! But please, no name dropping of other artists!
    rainbow1, lolita55, liz278 and 4 others like this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    love the last paragraph

"Honestly, nobody does this kind of thing better than her. “Church Bells” is a classic Underwood murder song: a dramatic production, a flawless vocal performance, and just enough of that girl next door sincerity to keep you from asking yourself, “Wait…Did she just kill somebody again?”
    Gator, Hil, Ann055 and 11 others like this.

Concert Stars
    Very nice review! Love it. #ChurchBells
    Ann055, ethelu and Mirasa45A like this.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by maddkat View Post
    love the last paragraph

"Honestly, nobody does this kind of thing better than her. “Church Bells” is a classic Underwood murder song: a dramatic production, a flawless vocal performance, and just enough of that girl next door sincerity to keep you from asking yourself, “Wait…Did she just kill somebody again?”
    I literally spit my coffee laughing at this. I wish I had written this......... "...wait, did she just kill someone again..."!!! I just love that......
    HuiZ, bluetb4, Smokyiiis and 4 others like this.

Concert Stars
    ...actually I like the name dropping in this case, cause I, like the writer do feel like one other artist gets all the credit for being the alternative option. When in fact Carrie Underwood is laying down such a diverse deep and biting catalog that it is unfair to ignore it and just white wash her as the all American girl nextdoor with no grit or depth to offer. Its really just not the truth of the situation at all.
    Ann055, Smokyiiis, judes and 7 others like this.

Concert Stars
    So nice to get some love from Country Universe!
    Ann055, bluetb4, maddkat and 4 others like this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by pklongbeach View Post
    ...actually I like the name dropping in this case, cause I, like the writer do feel like one other artist gets all the credit for being the alternative option. When in fact Carrie Underwood is laying down such a diverse deep and biting catalog that it is unfair to ignore it and just white wash her as the all American girl nextdoor with no grit or depth to offer. Its really just not the truth of the situation at all.
    I totally agree, now if only every music critic would start saying that. I know it never happens this way, but I really think the ACMs might have been a turning point for the critics, because frankly I was embarrassed for Miranda after winning the award after Carrie just slayed it.
    lizcarlo, mooret and Smokyiiis like this.

That's a very good review. I agree. She does the best murder ballads.

Quote Originally Posted by pklongbeach View Post
    I agree. Carrie is very versatile. She can do polished and gritty and pull both off very well, while having depth in her music. Her subjects are very versatile and has always sang about real life situations. That's why her music continues to be good and one among many of the reasons why she is still popular in my opinion.
    Ann055, Hil, rainbow1 and 1 others like this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by teesharky View Post
    Awesome
    review! Nice to see Carrie get some love finally!!
    Actually, it's not a case of "finally" in that example. Country Universe is probably the most pro-Carrie of the major American blogs. Kevin Coyne, the site's owner, and Tara Seetharam, one of the contributors, have long been particularly appreciative of her.
    Hil, Suellen, abbeyjones18 and 3 others like this.

^
    Not sure Tee was speaking about Country Universe. We all know they love Carrie and usually always get very favorable reviews. I do hope that Kevin does a review of ST because I am interested in seeing what he has to say. In the comments section, he said he was putting it back on his to do list and that his review will be different than it would have been at the beginning - so that makes me very curious as to what he is going to say. But no getting around it, Kevin loves Carrie. And that makes me very very happy!
    Farawayhills and teesharky like this.

•