Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Carrie Underwood - British Airways High Life Magazine

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars

Carrie Underwood - British Airways High Life Magazine

On the road with Carrie Underwood - British Airways High Life

‘What’s the difference between Nashville the place and Nashville the TV show? In real life, it isn’t so dramatic,’ laughs Carrie Underwood. A country music megastar who has sold over 56 million records, this month she headlines the spectacular Country 2 Country festival - High Life hitched a ride to discuss her life in travel.

Most rock and roll night out?
    We have fun but we have silly fun, not super party fun - we go bowling! I spent a birthday when we rented out a Chuck E. Cheese. My tour bus driver has driven for a lot of different people and he said one night, ‘I’m just so glad to be on a milk and cookies tour.’

Where would you like to go back to?
    We were in Paris literally for 48 hours. We ran through the Louvre basically saying ‘Just the important stuff!’ We went to see the Mona Lisa and took a picture. It was pretty ridiculous. At the Eiffel tower - walk up to it, click click - then move on to the next thing. I want to go back and just slow down, walk around. This is going to sound wrong, but we went to have a glass of wine in the bar downstairs at our hotel. We met some people, they asked us what we did and we told them we were investment bankers. I asked them “What kind of music do you listen to? I love country music….” Just to see what they would say.

How do you stay entertained on the road?
    One of the great things about the tour bus is you have internet, satellite TV. We do watch The Walking Dead - I do love Daryl. I watch hockey when I’m away from my husband [Nashville Predators player Mike Fisher] and we watch game shows like Shark Tank and Family Feud - Steve Harvey is awesome.

Strangest hotel experience?
    I was in one of the super luxury hotels and my dog Ace found a dummy underneath one of the dressers. That’s not the worst thing he’s found though: food is the weirdest. You start thinking: ‘Is that an M&M?’

What are your rider requests?
    Travelling is the hardest to be vegan. I have just started stopping at Whole Foods, The Natural Grocery store or Co-op or something like that. We ask for veggies and humus on our rider but I cook on the bus. It’s such a human thing to do to make breakfast and dinner - it’s real and I feel like our lives can get so ridiculous sometimes. My bus is always going to smell like veggie burgers and quesadillas.

What country has the most raucous crowds?
    Ireland was great. They’re very receptive to country music - the crowd was a lot of fun and they knew everything. At the meet and greet you just hear stories of people saying ‘I’ve been waiting so long for you to come over.’ We played this old theatre [The Olympia Theatre in Dublin]. It was kinda funky in a really cool way. Historical but not gross: like the Ryman in Nashville.

Have any fans made a lasting impression on you while being on the road?
    I wrote a song about one of my absolute favourite fans: Sam, he’s the sweetest guy. He’s come to different shows whenever we’re around the Indianapolis area. He has down syndrome, competes in the Special Olympics and gave me one of his medals. He’s an amazing kiddo.

Country you’d most like to visit?
    I love beaches - I told my husband I want to go to Fiji. Our problem is the length of travel: we have to stick relatively close to home. I want to stay in a castle and these underwater places with the ocean above you. I want to scuba dive too - I want to get certified.

Worst experience on the road?
    Do you remember that big ash cloud that was over Chile? It screwed up everyone’s travel plans. In Australia we had to take the equivalent of a Greyhound bus from Melbourne to Sydney. We had 22 pieces of luggage and had to stop every two hours because there was no bathroom on board. Our driver was cranky. It was 11 hours and it was insane and so uncomfortable. But we made it.

The song which sums up life on the road is…
    It’s by Pat Greene and it’s called ‘While I Was Away’. It’s about being away from your kids - but my kid will be with me on the road. It’ll probably mean a lot more to Mike as we’re gone. It’s about being away from the people you love because of work.

Describe your favourite drink on the road.
    The only place I’d have a Margarita would be Mexico. There’s a difference drinking a Margarita on a beach in the sunshine vs on your couch at home. It’s gonna taste different, even if it’s the same ingredients.

My idea of misery on the road is…
    It’s weird living on a bus. It’s not just me - there’s six other people on my bus - living in a tiny rolling apartment. I feel it could be a sitcom and learning how to navigate space and be around the same people really close - because you can’t go anywhere!

Carrie Underwood's album Storyteller is out now. She headlines Country 2 Country in London, Glasgow and Dublin this month. For tickets visit C2c-countrytocountry.com

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Awesome interview. She is just a regular, normal down to earth person. That is why I think she is great. She just has this normal personality that shines through, I don't know why more people don't see that.
    DizzyDollyDee likes this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    I'll be honest, I assumed Carrie would have her own bus. I wonder who the six other people are?! I know she has Isaiah and I'm sure his crib is next to her bed in the "bedroom" in the back of the bus. Then maybe the nanny/babysitter? Perhaps Sydney since she's the only girl in the band? Does anyone know?
    ethelu, tigercae, rainbow1 and 1 others like this.

sco
    Insane Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Kizmet311 View Post
    I'll be honest, I assumed Carrie would have her own bus. I wonder who the six other people are?! I know she has Isaiah and I'm sure his crib is next to her bed in the "bedroom" in the back of the bus. Then maybe the nanny/babysitter? Perhaps Sydney since she's the only girl in the band? Does anyone know?
    I seem to recall one interview where she said hers was the girls bus. I'm guessing but I'd assume Isaiah, her trainer, her assistant, the babysitter, Sydni, and ?

Quote Originally Posted by sco View Post
    I seem to recall one interview where she said hers was the girls bus. I'm guessing but I'd assume Isaiah, her trainer, her assistant, the babysitter, Sydni, and ?
    I think she has another crib space/play space in one of the bunks made for Isaiah as well as the crib one back with her so maybe that makes up for the 6?

hjj
    Insane Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Her security rides with her. The other bgv rode the oband members bus.
    rainbow1 likes this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Thanks for posting L.....J....... Great read.
    DizzyDollyDee likes this.

Concert Stars
    At one time, she said she didn't have a trainer on the road. Does she now?
    opry051008 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rainbow1 View Post
    At one time, she said she didn't have a trainer on the road. Does she now?
    Yes, she does - Eve Overland is with her.
    rainbow1, txacar and opry051008 like this.

Concert Stars
    Well, that's an appropriate name! LOL!
    txacar, jaylee50 and opry051008 like this.

pgk
    Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by sco View Post

Maybe, Ann her manager?

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    Great article! Thanks, LouisaJessie!
    rainbow1 likes this.

Oooops, I hope that bad Melbourne-Sydney experience won't stop her from coming back soon!!!

Any idea which is the song she wrote about her fan, Sam?

Quote Originally Posted by pgk View Post
    Maybe, Ann her manager?
    Don't think a manager needs to follow her on tour??? I assume she will have other clients to manage as well??

Her comment about her fan Sam is great. It's so nice she wrote a song for him
    I also liked the part where she said they were investment bankers lol.

Carrie Guru
    I would think that the bus would be all gals except for the driver.

Carrie has a separate tour manager and he's a guy. Her security is also a guy.
    rainbow1 likes this.

Concert Stars
    I think PO maybe in his honor, if it's a song she released.

hjj
    Insane Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Seem. Like when Matt travel with the tour him and the tour manager rode Carrie's bus. I remember seeing them getting off the bus.

A lil city in the middle of a lil island in the middle of a lil country in the middle of the sea
    Wanted to know which song is Sam's too... I like how she cooks for herself and doesn't just demand people to buy her breakfast/dinner... And she likes beaches?? Hello, Carrie... My country has looooooots of beautiful beaches! ; )

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by HuiZ View Post
    Oooops, I hope that bad Melbourne-Sydney experience won't stop her from coming back soon!!!

Any idea which is the song she wrote about her fan, Sam?
    didn't we hear about a song called 'My Favorite Fan' or something like that?

•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast