• 3 Post By teesharky
  • 2 Post By Kizmet311
  • 1 Post By jbrown

Thread: Carrie Underwood can do it all

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars

Carrie Underwood can do it all

Kevin Cuneo: Carrie Underwood can do it all - GoErie.com - Erie, PA

The singer I most looked forward to seeing at Monday's Grammys was not Adele, but the natural girl from Checotah, Okla. -- the one with the powerful pipes. The brilliant Adele is the Streisand of her generation, but Carrie Underwood is a uniquely American singer and personality. A high school cheerleader and basketball player, she was pretty enough and ambitious enough to enter and win a series of beauty pageants.

But Underwood, who sang at American Legion posts and local weddings, was enough of a realist to believe that her singing career probably wouldn't amount to much. She went on to Northeastern State University, where she graduated magna cum laude with a degree in mass communications.

"I studied journalism, which is how I came to have a take on you reporters," she cracked at the press before the release of her latest album, "Storyteller." At 22, Underwood took a shot at the big time -- "American Idol" -- thinking this would determine if she had a future as a vocalist. She ended up storming through the "Idol" competition like Sherman marching through Georgia.

Dolly Parton, an astute observer of the country and pop scene, once said that Underwood reminds her a bit of herself. "That girl can sing like nobody's business, and she's smart enough to make all the right moves. Carrie's a sweet girl, too. Real genuine," Parton told Time magazine in 2012.

Old friends in Nashville tell me that Underwood is a rare celebrity -- she's focused on her career and determined to take it as far as she possibly can, but she's down-to-earth and a genuinely nice person. "There's still a lot of Checotah in that gal," an old Music Row producer said.

She's in such demand as a spokeswoman on TV that it's a good bet that, as you surf the channels, you'll see either Peyton Manning or Underwood starring in a commercial.

The singer's not afraid to reach beyond her comfort zone. You'll recall her performance in a live TV performance of "The Sound of Music," in which she was surrounded by veteran Broadway stars. Critics complained about her wooden acting, but NBC loved the results and replayed the show three times.

Part of the problem was that Underwood ended up being compared to Julie Andrews, one of the all-time greats. But Andrews, when she finally got around to seeing the NBC production, said she was so impressed with Underwood's voice. "Carrie sings straight from the heart, which is so rare anymore," Andrews told the New York Times.

What turned me into an Underwood fan for life was her part in a musical tribute to Linda Ronstadt at the 2014 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, when she stood out among a group of top female vocalists. I'd always thought of Underwood as a "belter," somebody who substitutes power for style. But she's more than that -- her voice is nuanced and pliable, capable of conveying emotion and even humor.

Stevie Nicks, who sang with Underwood at the Ronstadt tribute, was overwhelmed by her vocal skills. "She's magnificent, a real force," Nicks said. "I told Carrie afterward that it's a good thing for me she wasn't around when Fleetwood Mac was looking for singers."

Best of all, Underwood is only 32. She's a new mom and the wife of a star player in the NHL, and appears to be juggling a career and a life with equal aplomb. Call me a fan -- a huge fan.
    Ann055, lizcarlo, terilyn and 16 others like this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Gah, I'm such a sap. Sitting at work reading this article and my eyes might be a little watery. We have certainly chose to be fans of the best celebrity/musician/artist in the world.
    Ann055, terilyn, lizcarlo and 12 others like this.

Huge Carrie Follower
    this is a wonderful article love it.
    mooret, bluetb4, rainbow1 and 1 others like this.

Junior Carrie Follower
    What a great article, thanks for posting!

I have to admit I am a huge Sound of Music fan and I adore Julie Andrews so the first time I watched the NBC take I was a little disappointed but then a few months later I watched it again and really enjoyed it! I loved Carrie's singing, as always she was flawless and I thought she did amazing with the acting considering it's not something she's done a whole lot of. I just had to forget the original while I watched so I didn't compare. One of the British stations did their own version for live broadcast and I would love to see that one.

I also learned this week that Australian actress Rebel Wilson is a lawyer, she hasn't worked a case but she said it would be funny if she did.
    teesharky likes this.

Concert Stars
    Wow great article! This is my favorite part:

"Carrie sings straight from the heart, which is so rare anymore," Julie Andrews told the New York Times.
    bluetb4, rainbow1 and judes like this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    I don't know if Carrie would consider it, after TSOML, but I would give anything for her to be in the next NBC Dolly movie. The next one is supposed to be based off of Jolene.
    maddkat and teesharky like this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Kizmet311 View Post
    Gah, I'm such a sap. Sitting at work reading this article and my eyes might be a little watery. We have certainly chose to be fans of the best celebrity/musician/artist in the world.
    Indeed we lovingly chose to be the fans of the best celebrity and artist there is and we re proud of it.
    Kizmet311 likes this.

•