Page 1 of 36 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree2659Likes

Thread: Storyteller Critics Review Thread: Post All Reviews Here

Concert Stars

Storyteller Critics Review Thread: Post All Reviews Here

I think it is nice to consolidate all Storyteller Reviews in one thread. The first one is STELLAR, so let's kick it off with a bang!

People Magazine! Top Music Pick of the Week!

The Yorkshire Times ‏@TheYorksTimes Oct 8 Our thoughts on the new @carrieunderwood album Storyteller http://yorkshiretimes.co.uk//article/Review-Carrie-Underwood …

A- Grade-- Entertainment Weekly
    'Storyteller' by Carrie Underwood: EW review | EW.com

Boston Globe posted their review. 80/100! Album review: Carrie Underwood, ?Storyteller? - The Boston Globe

Review: Carrie Underwood a Little More Personal on New Album - ABC News

'Storyteller' review: Carrie Underwood's constant talent, inconsistent ...
    Newsday-Oct 20, 2015

Carrie Underwood's New Album: Storyteller | Rolling Stone------------------Rolling Stone Magazine

Review: Carrie Underwood's 'Storyteller' Values Power Over FinesseNew York Times‎

Country Outfitter:

Album Review: Carrie Underwood Delivers Career-Best ...

For The Country Record:
    Carrie Underwood 'Storyteller' – Album Review | For The ...

Review: Carrie Underwood a little more personal on new ...

Countrymusicislove:
    Album Review: Carrie Underwood's 'Storyteller'

Review: Carrie Underwood a little more personal on new album - Entertainment - NZ Herald News

Roughstock Review--- great one:
    http://roughstock.com/news/2015/10/3...od-storyteller

Taste of Country review-
    ToC Critic?s Pick: Carrie Underwood, ?Storyteller?

Carrie Underwood Mixes Country?s Past and Present on ?Storyteller?: Album Review | Billboard------- Billboard Magazine

Carrie Underwood?s ?Storyteller': Album Review | Idolator

USA TODAY:
    Album of the week: Carrie Underwood's lovely, if limited, 'Storyteller'---------USA Today

Album Reviews: Carrie Underwood, 5 Seconds of Summer, Borns and more-------------JSOnline

Storyteller marks Carrie Underwood?s return to music | Daily Trojan

http://www.wideopencountry.com/expec...ideOpenCountry

Carrie Underwood, ?Storyteller? | Boston Herald----------------Boston Herald

Carrie Underwood?s ?Storyteller? ? Album Review | Country Music Matters

http://thedailytwist.com/2015/10/alb...rie-underwood/----------The Daily Twist

http://nashvillegab.com/2015/10/carr...teller.html--- Nashville Gab

http://www.countrystandardtime.com/d...w.asp?xid=5806 -- Country Standard Time

Nashville Over Here ‏@nashoverhere

HER BEST YET? The new @carrieunderwood album 'Storyteller' reviewed here: http://nashvilleoverhere.com/album-review-carrie-underwood-storyteller/ … #countrymusic

Album Review: Carrie Underwood, ?Storyteller? ? The Maine Campus

Renowned for Sound | Album Review: Carrie Underwood ? Storyteller

Country Perspective:
    Album Review ? Carrie Underwood?s ?Storyteller? | Country Perspective

http://www.entertainment-focus.com/
    music-review/carrie-underwood-storyteller-album-review/--
    4/5 stars- UK review

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/entertainment/arts/music/2015/10/27/carrie-underwood-storyteller-review/74671614/

http://cccnews.info/2015/10/30/revie...ds-new-album/- excellent college paper review

CD review: Carrie Underwood a little more personal on new albumThe Register-Guard‎ -

Carrie Underwood Releases ?Storyteller? Album Review | Stage Right Secrets

Carrie Underwood weaves together masterpiece on ?Storytellers? | The Oswegonian

Carrie Underwood's New Album Review... Storyteller on 100.7 The Tiger : Your Hometown Country Station

Album review: Carrie Underwood's 'Storyteller' - Las Vegas Weekly

Album Review: Carrie Underwood ? ?Storyteller? | Demo Magazine

Roughstock.com ‏@Roughstock Oct 23
    Check out our review of @carrieunderwood's #Storyteller and enter to win a copy of the CD AUTOGRAPHED! http://roughstock.com/news/2015/10/39127-album-review-carrie-underwood-storyteller …

GhostTunes ‏@GhostTunes 28m28 minutes ago
    Check out ToC Critic’s Pick: Carrie Underwood, ‘Storyteller’ http://tasteofcountry.com/carrie-underwood-storyteller/?trackback=twitter_mobile_top … @tasteofcountry

Adele and Carrie Underwood sing about ties that bind–and get broken No other performer renders heartbreak, regret and remorse better than Adele—who demonstrates her emotive ability and interpretive skill once again in “Hello,” the nostalgia-drive…

http://www.celebritybug.net/2015/11/...-her-best.html

Review: Carrie Underwood, 'Storyteller' | SPIN
    Last edited by teesharky; 11-06-2015 at 08:20 PM.

Thanks Tee! Like what I DM'ed you on Twitter, for some reason I could not access the Yorkshire Times website. Thank you for posting the review :-)
    teesharky, oldyfan and txacar like this.

Concert Stars
    Love this review. Thanks for starting the thread, Tee.
    oldyfan, teesharky and Suellen like this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Oh my god, what a fantastic write up........ Talk about WOW..... This critic clearly understands Mrs. Underwood..
    oldyfan, teesharky, txacar and 1 others like this.

Great idea Tee! I absolutely was in love with this review when I first read it! Let's hope all of them stay this way!!! (smiley)
    teesharky, txacar, oldyfan and 1 others like this.

Insane Carrie Fan Kenny_Chisholm's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Give me the darn album already!
    teesharky, txacar, oldyfan and 2 others like this.

Insane Carrie Fan Carrieroxmysox2011's Avatar
    I. Cannot. Wait. For. This. Album. O. M. G.
    oldyfan, Suellen and lizcarlo like this.

Concert Stars
    Thanks Tee, love this review and looking forward to reading other reviews like this one.
    oldyfan and teesharky like this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    As I'm afraid I'm not familiar with the reference, could anyone please suggest a representative song that might illustrate what "mid-period Christina Aguilera" sounded like?

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post
    As I'm afraid I'm not familiar with the reference, could anyone please suggest a representative song that might illustrate what "mid-period Christina Aguilera" sounded like?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=83&v=PstrAfoMKlc

Thanks!
    Although she totally lost me in the blonde part around 2.40, the early part of the song was much better, and I think could fit in with Janis and Joan as vocal influences.
    (As for the Shania Twain reference, I hope he meant early Shania - even thinking about "Up" compromises my genre identity!)

Of all these people, it's Janis's Texas Blues that would interest me most. I've always thought Carrie referenced the sound in her own way in "Good Girl".
    lizcarlo, hjj, Smokyiiis and 2 others like this.

Concert Stars
    great idea Tee!
    teesharky likes this.

Insane Carrie Fan
    Mid-point Christina Aguilera would be around the time of her 2006 album release "Back To Basics" ...

This was the lead-off single, which I'm sure encapsulates the "playful jazz" element that we're to hear on the new album as referenced by that reviewer.

(song starts at 1:00)

Carrie Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by MelissaD View Post
    Mid-point Christina Aguilera would be around the time of her 2006 album release "Back To Basics" ...

This was the lead-off single, which I'm sure encapsulates the "playful jazz" element that we're to hear on the new album as referenced by that reviewer.

(song starts at 1:00)
    Christina is so amazing. It's too bad she got into the habit of playing around the notes a little too much.

I don't think we ever had this kind of review, did we? It's so amazing and it seems he says there are a lot of songs it could be singles while some should. And if Heartbeat is one of the weakest songs on the album it really can be epic.

Concert Stars
    Actually the only song he seemed not "thrilled" about was the one she references as the one about her father and how he "sees" her. Which to me means this album is gonna be EPICNESS.
    oldyfan and jaks_weyn like this.

I think the style Christina Aguilera showed in the first couple of minutes of the first song posted ("The Fighter") could be integrated more easily into what I understood as the general sound he was talking about.

The second Aguilera song does have Blues/Jazz influence - but the prevailing presentation and vocal style comes closer to what I'd consider "Diva Pop" - and speaking personally, that's a style I'd want Carrie to avoid at all costs. (If she wants to incorporate more of a modern Blues influence, Bonnie Raitt or Norah Jones might be comparisons I'd prefer)

The reviewer's mentions of styles and other artists are, anyway, only there to give readers a quick impression of threads he was reminded of in the general tapestry - and in any case, are only influences, on which she'll put her own spin. I also think that the emphasis each listener puts on what they hear is coloured by their own musical preferences and experiences. We all tend to hear a song, an artist, or an album in rather different ways.
    teesharky, ethelu and oldyfan like this.

Concert Stars
    So is this the only review so far? I have seen a few nice blogs about Heartbeat, the single. Ie- Perez Hilton, Country Tattle Tale, etc., but so far, no reviews on the album just yet. I would imagine they will all come out a bit earlier this era since the critics and bloggers seem to have gotten their hands on it early.

It actually surprised me that the Yorkshire Times review came out so early. Although reviewers do get the material quite a bit in advance, they usually wait until close to release date to publish. I've no complaints about this one - it's well written, thoughtful, and insightful - I just didn't expect the website to release it so far in advance.

Insane Carrie Fan
    I think the style Christina Aguilera showed in the first couple of minutes of the first song posted ("The Fighter") could be integrated more easily into what I understood as the general sound he was talking about.

The second Aguilera song does have Blues/Jazz influence - but the prevailing presentation and vocal style comes closer to what I'd consider "Diva Pop" - and speaking personally, that's a style I'd want Carrie to avoid at all costs. (If she wants to incorporate more of a modern Blues influence, Bonnie Raitt or Norah Jones might be comparisons I'd prefer)

The reviewer's mentions of styles and other artists are, anyway, only there to give readers a quick impression of threads he was reminded of in the general tapestry - and in any case, are only influences, on which she'll put her own spin. I also think that the emphasis each listener puts on what they hear is coloured by their own musical preferences and experiences. We all tend to hear a song, an artist, or an album in rather different ways.
    I couldn't possibly disagree more. First of all, the song "Fighter" is pure early-2000s pop/rock. There's nothing at all about the song, neither instrumentally nor vocally, that is anywhere near close to being structurally jazz-influenced. "Aint No Other Man," however, is. Also, when the reviewer specified the sound as being reminiscent to that of MID-POINT Christina Aguilera, he most certainly would not have been referring to a song like "Fighter," which was still technically in the earlier stages of Aguilera's career. Bear in mind that she came out in 1999. Her "Stripped" album was released in 2002. "Back To Basics," however, was released in 2006, closer to 2007 - not to mention, it was a throwback album with HEAVY jazz and blues influences up the ying-yang. So, "mid-point Christina Aguilera" would not only be closer to around the time of that album, it would also be more in line with the "playful jazz" element to which the critic referred.

BTW, I could only guess that the reviewer didn't have Norah Jones in mind when he made that reference, as there is nothing at all "playful" about her brand of jazz. I think he likely would have referred to it as "Nyquil-supplemented jazz" if that were the case. *LOL*

•  
    Page 1 of 36 12311 ... LastLast