Page 24 of 36 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast
Like Tree2659Likes

Thread: Storyteller Critics Review Thread: Post All Reviews Here

Junior Carrie Follower DazzledByCarrie's Avatar
    Here is a review from Country Perspective:Album Review ? Carrie Underwood?s ?Storyteller? | Country Perspective He has a lot of good things to say about, although the review isn't quite as shining as we would probably like. He gave it a 7/10. However, he makes it clear he gave the album several listens, compared to the reviewers who appear to have skimmed through the album once.

Concert Stars
    ^ That one was pretty good. I just saw it on twitter. Thanks for posting.
    oldyfan likes this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    ^^ what he didn't like about Chaser is what I like the most about it

but this line pissed me off

" And of course Underwood’s vocals shined, but that’s almost always the case."

Carrie's vocals are not to be taken for granted like this!!

Chaser has definitely grown on me, I just like and think that Relapse is better
    oldyfan and rainbow1 like this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    Wow. I'm just checking in for the first time today.....lo and behold Trigger and his cronies have struck again. Thanks to all of you, I do not have to give his site a hit.
    It turns my stomach to hear them compare Carrie to Miranda. When you listen to Carrie's albums you get excitement, awesome variety, and out-of-this-world vocals.
    When you listen to Miranda's albums you get the same old sound over and over and over....I'm sorry, but all of her songs sound the same to me. Absolutely no pizzazz.
    So, it just crushes me to hear such negative reviews and to have Miranda name dropped all the time.
    oldyfan, Hil, Ann055 and 3 others like this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    I did not care for his review...... He needs to go and listen again, really listen....

While Trigger was harsh in his review, he did praise the personal songs on the album though. He's clearly someone who prefers music to be relatable and isn't fond of fantasy stories much.

As someone mentioned earlier in this thread, Carrie's diverse taste and style of songs will always divide critics. It's hard to obtain universal acclaim when she's appealing to a huge fanbase with such wide-ranging tastes in music. Just look at us here in the forum: there are some who professes undying love for Mexico, while there are others who have Mexico towards bottom of their list. Some love it when she goes for glory notes and huge production, while others love it when she uses her angelic soft voice.

I'm surprised that the story songs are turning out to be polarizing. While some find them fantastic, others are turned off by the fantasy aspect of it. I guess there are some people who just prefers the confessional/personal type of songs.
    rainbow1 and oldyfan like this.

Concert Stars
    ^ Boring. I have absolutely no interest to hear more diary Taylor sWift juvenile songs about her lame "love"life. I like songs about different things for once.

Of course, I love the romantic love songs on the album too, and those are relatable. But I never bought into the idea that a song needs to be a Diary confession....especially if your Diary is as boring as Taylor's.

Concert Stars
    My question is did Reba get the bad reviews too? I think a lot of her songs are similar to hers. I mean that Reba did a lot of story songs that I know she didn't live. I guess the other thing that the country reviewers have is the production of the songs. They all seem to not like country rock. I wonder what the review is of Eric Church.

Ty
    Yeah, Reba was never a critical darling either. The only album of her's that I think ever received much acclaim was For My Broken Heart.
    Ann055, rainbow1 and Kizmet311 like this.

Concert Stars
    ^ Actually the country reviewers have loved this album! Only 1 country reviewer has dissed it-- Trigger Happy Troll. Am I missing other country reviews where they dissed it? I don't think so right?

I am confused as to why no other major reviews are coming out. Is this it then-- only 7 reviews on metacritic.
    oldyfan likes this.

Ty
    We should still be getting a review from Country Weekly, I believe. But, otherwise, that could be it. Demi only received 8 reviews.

I don't think Slant reviews county music anymore & The Guardian only seems to cover her music when she visits the UK.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Ty View Post
    Yeah, Reba was never a critical darling either. The only album of her's that I think ever received much acclaim was For My Broken Heart.
    That makes me feel a little better.
    teesharky, rainbow1 and bluetb4 like this.

^So looks like Pop Matters will not be releasing a review? They reviewed Blown Away. I was dreading this as I think they're not very fond of Carrie's albums, to put it mildly lol.

Personal songs are not necessarily Taylor's Dear Diary style though. Think relatability factor more along the lines of Adele, Sam Smith etc. Many big smashes have relatability as a big factor, imo.

My question is.... to those who love Reba, would her songs still work as well as it did in the current radio and sales climate? (I'm not that well-versed with her work, tbh)

Concert Stars
    ^ I don't think actual country music works on country radio anymore, to be blunt. haha

I think Jesus Take the Wheel would have struggled on country radio if released in today's bro-country market. I do not believe it would have hit number 1 if released this year instead of 2005.
    DazzledByCarrie likes this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DazzledByCarrie View Post
    Here is a review from Country Perspective:Album Review ? Carrie Underwood?s ?Storyteller? | Country Perspective He has a lot of good things to say about, although the review isn't quite as shining as we would probably like. He gave it a 7/10. However, he makes it clear he gave the album several listens, compared to the reviewers who appear to have skimmed through the album once.
    This is, in my view, a very fair and competent review, from one of the best sites. (Mind you, I probably would feel that, when you consider that the site advertises itself as interested in "genuine Country Music, Americana and more"). The owner's resume is interesting. He has a degree in broadcast journalism (similar to Carrie's), and his mission statement for the site says "The inspiration for creating Country Perspective came from his absolute distaste with mainstream country music and wanting to help fight the fight for better country music. He grew up on 90s country music and while he enjoyed a fair number of songs from this decade, he realizes why it was chastised too."

In many ways, Josh strikes me as the other side of the Triggerman phenomenon. They both come from, broadly, the same basic musical outlook (as, broadly, do I), but Josh seems to approach his mission in a more open minded, less narrowly partisan, and more talent-embracing way, with a greater willingness to look beyond the blanket impression, to see the Roots elements included in the overall mix. That can be done - and in my view, it makes a more convincing case. (Josh named Sturgill Simpson's "Meta-modern Sounds In Country Music" as his 2014 Album of the Year, to give you an idea of where to compare his complementary review of Carrie)

Although the Triggerman can write entertaining and witty reviews, I seldom visit his site, because I see his obviously heavily overstated agenda as basically counter-productive. You cannot change or improve the Mainstream by wishing it would go away - it won't - and the elephant in the room is that if the Alternative Country artists simply replaced the Mainstream, they would almost certainly have to start sounding more like the Mainstream to maintain their relevance. Miranda has shown that if you produce work that shows a strongly Alternative feel, Mainstream radio simply won't support it, and her label gives only token promotional support to the more Alternative singles, after the obligatory more Mainstream-leaning couple have run their course.

I tend to Jason Isbell's view that it's a fallacy to believe that any musical genre needs saving. The point is that we need both breadth and depth. The Mainstream and the deeper-genre strands need to co-exist - the Mainstream to attract the wider audience and act as a gateway to the rest of the spectrum (even if only a small proportion of listeners look far into the spectrum) - and the various Alternative sectors, both to maintain the traditional strands and push the cutting edge innovations. If some artists can cross between those worlds, or draw from both, they deserve - all of them - to be supported, or at least examined fairly and open-mindedly. That's why I generally prefer what I've seen of Country Perspective's approach to Saving Country Music's.

(On a personal note, I have received a few requests from people here to write a connected review of my own for "Storyteller", so I'll try to offer one over the next day or two)

Quote Originally Posted by DazzledByCarrie View Post
    Thanks for posting. I liked this review. It was honest and respectful.

Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post
    This is, in my view, a very fair and competent review, from one of the best sites. (Mind you, I probably would feel that, when you consider that the site advertises itself as interested in "genuine Country Music, Americana and more"). The owner's resume is interesting. He has a degree in broadcast journalism (similar to Carrie's), and his mission statement for the site says "The inspiration for creating Country Perspective came from his absolute distaste with mainstream country music and wanting to help fight the fight for better country music. He grew up on 90s country music and while he enjoyed a fair number of songs from this decade, he realizes why it was chastised too."

In many ways, Josh strikes me as the other side of the Triggerman phenomenon. They both come from, broadly, the same basic musical outlook (as, broadly, do I), but Josh seems to approach his mission in a more open minded, less narrowly partisan, and more talent-embracing way, with a greater willingness to look beyond the blanket impression, to see the Roots elements included in the overall mix. That can be done - and in my view, it makes a more convincing case. (Josh named Sturgill Simpson's "Meta-modern Sounds In Country Music" as his 2014 Album of the Year, to give you an idea of where to compare his complementary review of Carrie)

Although the Triggerman can write entertaining and witty reviews, I seldom visit his site, because I see his obviously heavily overstated agenda as basically counter-productive. You cannot change or improve the Mainstream by wishing it would go away - it won't - and the elephant in the room is that if the Alternative Country artists simply replaced the Mainstream, they would almost certainly have to start sounding more like the Mainstream to maintain their relevance. Miranda has shown that if you produce work that shows a strongly Alternative feel, Mainstream radio simply won't support it, and her label gives only token promotional support to the more Alternative singles, after the obligatory more Mainstream-leaning couple have run their course.

I tend to Jason Isbell's view that it's a fallacy to believe that any musical genre needs saving. The point is that we need both breadth and depth. The Mainstream and the deeper-genre strands need to co-exist - the Mainstream to attract the wider audience and act as a gateway to the rest of the spectrum (even if only a small proportion of listeners look far into the spectrum) - and the various Alternative sectors, both to maintain the traditional strands and push the cutting edge innovations. If some artists can cross between those worlds, or draw from both, they deserve - all of them - to be supported, or at least examined fairly and open-mindedly. That's why I generally prefer what I've seen of Country Perspective's approach to Saving Country Music's.

(On a personal note, I have received a few requests from people here to write a connected review of my own for "Storyteller", so I'll try to offer one over the next day or two)
    I agree with your post. Cant wait for your review. You are so informative. I really enjoyed reading one of his articles which was called "The Hodgepodge: Traditional Country Fans and Urban Country Fans Have Striking Similarities".
    oldyfan and DazzledByCarrie like this.

Huge Carrie Follower huggablebri's Avatar
    I love the album myself, but im totally baffled by the fixation of alcohol or cigarettes that are prevalent in almost every song. I curious to know if Mike Smokes. I mean there are plenty of other words that rhyme with yet, other than cigarettes.lol.

•  
    Page 24 of 36 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast