Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree2659Likes

Thread: Storyteller Critics Review Thread: Post All Reviews Here

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    No, I don't expect the reviewer had Norah Jones in mind - I gave her as one (not the only) example of a style that I would prefer Carrie to draw from if she wanted to show a Blues or Jazz influence. The reason I suggested her is that I think her style could add more subtlety and nuance to some of the vocals, with less reliance on power and pace. Norah has a smoky and laid back glide to her voice. I realize this may not be what everyone wants - but your comment about the cold medicine seemed rather acerbic.

Here are two examples of Norah's style applied to classic Country songs. This cover of Dolly Parton is an example of the nuanced vocal I mentioned (I prefer this version to many others I've heard)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3d8KobWVwk

A cover of Loretta Lynn. This illustrates for me how she can introduce extra Blues and Jazz influences:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIMYuS_wDpw

However - the mention of her was a by-the-way addition. The main point was that the reviewer saw Carrie's style in that song as "fusing" Janis Joplin, Joan Jett (both of whom I understand) with Shania Twain and Christina Aguilera. Aguilera was the one I wasn't familiar with - which was why I asked for clarification. Thanks for your detail on her career.

The two CA songs posted were both new to me - I did think the general tone of the first one (before the butterfly metamorphosis) might fit more easily into the style of Joplin or Jett. I acknowledged that there was Blues and Jazz influence in the second one - but the general approach, both visual and vocal, did remind me of Diva Pop, and I think that's really the opposite of what Janis (and probably Joan) were aiming for - making it seem an awkward juxtaposition for me.

But as I said, we hear things differently - and may get quite a different impression from Carrie's still unheard song.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    just noticed he wrote Runaway Renegade. lol

Hil
    Quote Originally Posted by mtreasmith View Post
    just noticed he wrote Runaway Renegade. lol
    Who did?

Never mind, I know what you mean now. The reviewer wrote that in his tweet.

Insane Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post
    No, I don't expect the reviewer had Norah Jones in mind - I gave her as one (not the only) example of a style that I would prefer Carrie to draw from if she wanted to show a Blues or Jazz influence. The reason I suggested her is that I think her style could add more subtlety and nuance to some of the vocals, with less reliance on power and pace. Norah has a smoky and laid back glide to her voice. I realize this may not be what everyone wants - but your comment about the cold medicine seemed rather acerbic.

Here are two examples of Norah's style applied to classic Country songs. This cover of Dolly Parton is an example of the nuanced vocal I mentioned (I prefer this version to many others I've heard)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3d8KobWVwk

A cover of Loretta Lynn. This illustrates for me how she can introduce extra Blues and Jazz influences:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIMYuS_wDpw

However - the mention of her was a by-the-way addition. The main point was that the reviewer saw Carrie's style in that song as "fusing" Janis Joplin, Joan Jett (both of whom I understand) with Shania Twain and Christina Aguilera. Aguilera was the one I wasn't familiar with - which was why I asked for clarification. Thanks for your detail on her career.

The two CA songs posted were both new to me - I did think the general tone of the first one (before the butterfly metamorphosis) might fit more easily into the style of Joplin or Jett. I acknowledged that there was Blues and Jazz influence in the second one - but the general approach, both visual and vocal, did remind me of Diva Pop, and I think that's really the opposite of what Janis (and probably Joan) were aiming for - making it seem an awkward juxtaposition for me.

But as I said, we hear things differently - and may get quite a different impression from Carrie's still unheard song.
    Yeah, the portion of the text that I bolded is perhaps the most effective illustration that we are just on totally different wavelengths as far as what we would like to hear from Carrie, lol. My apologies if my remark about Norah Jones being a sleep-aid supplement came off as a bit abrasive, but the woman has just always bored the absolute brains out of me.

To be honest, I think the Aguilera comparison was born of the natural similarities between their voices more so than anything else. I recall hearing a lot of people - even reviewers - say that Carrie sounds like Christina, but with a slightly higher, more "girly" tessitura. I remember hearing that when "Before He Cheats" crossed over to Pop, with some people having thought it was Christina when the song hit the chorus. The comparisons became even more pervasive when "Carnival Ride" was released, as there were a few songs on that album in which the vocals were somewhat "Aguilerean" (I'm looking at you, "Flat On The Floor"!). Also, that bit of ad-libbing that Carrie did at the end of the 2007 Grammy performance of "Before He Cheats" sounded a LOT like Christina. One of the belts/runs she did actually sounded almost exactly like the opening note in Christina's "Aint No Other Man" that I posted earlier. They can have a similar tone at times, that is quite forceful and sometimes aggressive with the soulful "growls" and grit that they often incorporate into their singing. So, personally, when I read this review and saw the Christina reference in juxtaposition with "playful jazz," I automatically thought of her "Back To Basics" album since that's the sound that I most closely associate with Carrie's voice and how I imagine her experimenting with "jazz" to sound like. But like you said, we won't know for sure until we hear it. We each have our own unique associative interpretations.
    Farawayhills likes this.

^^^ I was thinking she would do the same style as well. She has sang some of her songs live with vocal runs that wasn't recorded that way on cd. I suppose she could sing this way in her song with jazz elements.

Or like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQbVariy_dk

Insane Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by lizcarlo View Post
    ^^^ I was thinking she would do the same style as well. She has sang some of her songs live with vocal runs that wasn't recorded that way on cd. I suppose she could sing this way in her song with jazz elements.

Or like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQbVariy_dk

Yeah, I could see it. But she would absolutely SLAY on a bluesy jazz-influenced song that calls for sass and grit. Heck, she already has.

You can hear a bit of Aguilera in her voice there as well, particularly at the end.
    Gator, gran29, lizcarlo and 1 others like this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Gator, liz278, Suellen and 12 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MelissaD View Post
    Yeah, I could see it. But she would absolutely SLAY on a bluesy jazz-influenced song that calls for sass and grit. Heck, she already has.

You can hear a bit of Aguilera in her voice there as well, particularly at the end.
    Can you imagine how she would slay this live today. Whew Carrie. I need to check out her earlier videos. She knows how to do the runs and stuff. I would not be surprised to hear her sing this way. It would most certainly be welcome. I really like the different sides to her voice. Carrie is such great singer.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    I just finished reading Jessica's review! Loved it. I wholeheartedly agree with her that I hope they release the risky singles (although I haven't listened to anything except the four released to iTunes). If there is a song (CCA) that is that good and that different, I think she needs to release it and shake country radio to its core.
    Smokyiiis and teesharky like this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    does anyone know if Jason posted his review?

Hil
    Quote Originally Posted by mtreasmith View Post
    does anyone know if Jason posted his review?
    Not yet. He says it should be soon.
    Ann055 and mtreasmith like this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Hil View Post
    Not yet. He says it should be soon.
    I tweeted him that hope it is not Carrie's SOON (jokingly)

Concert Stars
    JAson'ts review will be 3200 words long apparently. haha That is awesome! Cannot wait to read it.
    oldyfan, Ann055, lizcarlo and 3 others like this.

Jess' was long too! Loved it!
    lizcarlo, teesharky, Hil and 4 others like this.

Hil
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann055 View Post
    Yea, she did a really good job. Loved it. : )
    oldyfan, Ann055 and bluetb4 like this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann055 View Post
    Yes, good review from Jess.
    Ann055, oldyfan, bluetb4 and 1 others like this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Jason Scott has tweeted that the appearance of his review has been pushed on till tomorrow, by a decision outside his control.

He also says:
    "Jason Scott ‏@JasontheScott 39m39 minutes ago I put tremendous work into this review, to make sure it was detailed + contained some historical perspective. I'm super proud of it.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    teesharky likes this.

Concert Stars
    ^ Oh geez. I am scared to read that one. Ugh. Sometimes the critics just are so unfair to Carrie.

HE gave her a B plus grade, but the title sucks and he slammed her for telling "unbelievable" stories.

Totally disagree. The point is to tell stories. There is no rule that they have to be believable. But RR is very believable to me.

This guy seems to have missed the entire point of the album.

Anytime someone leads off with "American Idol Winner"-- you know it is going to be a somewhat snarky review. Why can't they lead off with 7 Time Grammy winner for once? Why must they diminish her with American Idol winner all the time?
    bluetb4, Claire2004 and terilyn like this.

He gave it a B+ but his review seems more C+/C grade lol
    teesharky and terilyn like this.

•  
    Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast