• 1 Post By mbh
  • 1 Post By mbh
  • 1 Post By Zman312

Thread: Country singer Underwood says her songs are for 'real people'

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars

Country singer Underwood says her songs are for 'real people'

Country singer Underwood says her songs are for 'real people' | Reuters

Singing a live-streamed concert in London, seven-time Grammy award winning American country singer Carrie Underwood said she thinks her style of music knows no boundaries because it's about "real people" everywhere.

"I definitely get that country music has most of its culture in the (United) States and in the southern part of the States. But we sing about real people and real stories and people that work hard, and I feel like that's universal," Underwood told Reuters on Monday night at London's Roundhouse music venue.

"So country music has evolved a lot over the decades and I feel like there's a lot of artists like myself that are just working hard to break stereotypes and just bring good music to everybody," Underwood said before stepping on stage to perform for the live-streamed Apple Music Festival.

Underwood, 32, rose to fame after winning the musical talent contest "American Idol" in 2005. After her debut album "Some Hearts" was voted the top country album of the past decade by trade publication Billboard, she said she'd felt under pressure for the follow-up, but now has her career in hand.

"I felt like there was a lot of pressure on my second album, and like my first headlining tour. There's certain things that have been in my career that I felt like I was just needing them to work," she said.

"At this point in my career, 10 years in, I feel like some of that's off because I feel like I've solidified a place in country music, on the radio... I have an amazing fan base that's incredibly supportive.

"So I don't feel like I have to top what I did last time and because of that I feel like I'm able to make better music and be more creative and just do things that are good for the sake of being good and not like for the sake of trying to sell albums or trying to get played on the radio."

Underwood, who is among the top selling U.S. female vocalists, and whose fifth album, "Storyteller", will be released in October, said social media is increasingly important in her career.

"It is playing a bigger and bigger role in the careers of music artists especially. But you know it is what it is and it's wonderful to be able to connect with people that you might not ever get to see.

"You know there's people in other countries that are like 'Carrie please come to Brazil' and I'm like, 'Oh my gosh, people in Brazil have heard of me, that's incredible.' So that part's really cool."
    mtreasmith, Gator, glenn7 and 15 others like this.

Ty
    I love this quote:

"So I don't feel like I have to top what I did last time and because of that I feel like I'm able to make better music and be more creative and just do things that are good for the sake of being good and not like for the sake of trying to sell albums or trying to get played on the radio."

Sounds like she made the album she wanted to make on her own terms. Good for her; she's earned it.

sco
    Insane Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Ty View Post
    Sounds like she made the album she wanted to make on her own terms. Good for her; she's earned it.
    Amen to that! I noticed that same quote and was so glad to know that she realizes she has nothing to prove to anyone. She can make the kind of music she wants to make and find the best balance for her career and her family.

This makes me happy that she can fell to do whatever she wants in he music. Smoke Break is amazing. I cant wait to hear the rest of her sound. Her music has always been about real life stories that goes on in people everyday life. I'm excited to hear her new stories.
    Ann055, oldyfan, Pi314CA and 2 others like this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LouisaJessie View Post
    After her debut album "Some Hearts" was voted the top country album of the past decade by trade publication Billboard,

That magazine and I really do live in parallel universes

mbh
    Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Ty View Post
    I love this quote:

This is **NONSENSE**!!!

I do not know who pushes Carrie Underwood to believe that things must be "either" *A or B*, BUT, NOT BOTH. Carrie HAD the ability to embrace BOTH EXTREMES of a number of dimensions AT THE SAME TIME. Carrie HAD purpose beyond profit "AND" pragmatic pursuit of profit. Carrie HAD created wealth for Sony Music Nashville since 2005 "AND" did GREAT albums. Carrie HAD BEEN idealistic (values-driven) "AND" pragmatic (profit-driven). Carrie HAD BEEN highly idealistic "AND" highly profitable. Carrie HAD BEEN highly creative "AND" highly profitable. Carrie HAD ALREADY PROVEN that ...... "The test of a FIRST-RATE INTELLIGENCE is Carrie's ability to hold two opposed ideas in HER MIND at the same time, and still retain her ability to function." This is exactly what Carrie Underwood ...... **WAS ABLE TO DO.**

Carrie can have THIRTEEN NUMBER HIT SONGS in the Mediabase Country Radio Airplay Charts (which is an expense/cost to Sony Music Nashville) in her Storyteller album; she can have ALL THE BEST REVIEWS in the whole world in her Storyteller album; and she can have the best marketing plan in the whole world in her Storyteller album ...... but, all of these **ARE NOTHING**, "IF", Carrie will NOT BE ABLE **TO GENERATE SALES** and make a net profit. Profitability is a necessary condition for the EXISTENCE of Carrie's career. Without net profit ...... there is NO CAREER for Carrie.

sco
    Insane Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by mbh View Post
    This is **NONSENSE**!!!
    You can believe it's nonsense if you want but it's her career, her life, and her choice. She's going to make a profit and a healthy one. She's earned the right to have some artistic freedom.

( As an aside, the liberal use of ALL CAPS which is interpreted as YELLING renders your posts virtually unreadable).
    Last edited by sco; 09-25-2015 at 07:36 AM.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    This is **NONSENSE**!!!

I do not know who pushes Carrie Underwood to believe that things must be "either" *A or B*, BUT, NOT BOTH. Carrie HAD the ability to embrace BOTH EXTREMES of a number of dimensions AT THE SAME TIME. Carrie HAD purpose beyond profit "AND" pragmatic pursuit of profit. Carrie HAD created wealth for Sony Music Nashville since 2005 "AND" did GREAT albums. Carrie HAD BEEN idealistic (values-driven) "AND" pragmatic (profit-driven). Carrie HAD BEEN highly idealistic "AND" highly profitable. Carrie HAD BEEN highly creative "AND" highly profitable. Carrie HAD ALREADY PROVEN that ...... "The test of a FIRST-RATE INTELLIGENCE is Carrie's ability to hold two opposed ideas in HER MIND at the same time, and still retain her ability to function." This is exactly what Carrie Underwood ...... **WAS ABLE TO DO.**

Carrie can have THIRTEEN NUMBER HIT SONGS in the Mediabase Country Radio Airplay Charts (which is an expense/cost to Sony Music Nashville) in her Storyteller album; she can have ALL THE BEST REVIEWS in the whole world in her Storyteller album; and she can have the best marketing plan in the whole world in her Storyteller album ...... but, all of these **ARE NOTHING**, "IF", Carrie will NOT BE ABLE **TO GENERATE SALES** and make a net profit. Profitability is a necessary condition for the EXISTENCE of Carrie's career. Without net profit ...... there is NO CAREER for Carrie.
    Music is so much more than 'NET PROFIT".

Don't you get that? She's reached a stage where she's making the music she wants, if that means her star diminishes of the grand scale then so be it. Doesn't mean her talent diminishes.So what's the problem? Are you here for her sales or her music?

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by sco View Post
    Amen to that! I noticed that same quote and was so glad to know that she realizes she has nothing to prove to anyone. She can make the kind of music she wants to make and find the best balance for her career and her family.
    Exactly, her priorities in her life have changed and the career part of her life isn't even # 2 on the most important aspects of her life which is how it should be and major kudos to her for doing something that not every person in the limelight chooses to do.
    Gator, Ann055, liz278 and 3 others like this.

Concert Stars
    so glad she got to make it on her own terms~
    oldyfan and Ann055 like this.

mbh
    Obsessed Carrie Fan
    This is **NONSENSE**!!!

I feel a bit LIKE "Dorothy" in the "Wizard of Oz", who after her long journey in search of the wizard (TEN YEARS after Carrie's PHENOMENAL SUCCESS since 2005), pulls back the curtain and discovers that the wizard is not a wizard after all. Carrie Underwood is just a normal human being ...... Carrie still CAN COMMIT A MISTAKE LIKE "Smoke Break". Like Dorothy, I DISCOVERED that Carrie who built a career with **PHENOMENAL SUCCESS** and an **EXTRAORDINARY ARTIST** as she is ...... is NOT NECESSARILY more brilliant, more charismatic, more complex thinker, and more adept at coming up with GREAT IDEA - in short, wizardlike than the rest of the other artists ...... in Carrie's approach to business in her career - WITH A GUARANTEED "HIGH PROFITABILITY". CARRIE TEND TO BE SIMPLE - some might even say simplistic - in her approach to her business in her career. Yet simple ...... DOES NOT MEAN EASY.

mbh
    Obsessed Carrie Fan
    I feel a bit LIKE "Dorothy" in the "Wizard of Oz", who after her long journey in search of the wizard (TEN YEARS after Carrie's PHENOMENAL SUCCESS since 2005), pulls back the curtain and discovers that the wizard is not a wizard after all. Carrie Underwood is just a normal human being ...... Carrie still CAN COMMIT A MISTAKE LIKE "Smoke Break". Like Dorothy, I DISCOVERED that Carrie who built a career with **PHENOMENAL SUCCESS** and an **EXTRAORDINARY ARTIST** as she is ...... is NOT NECESSARILY more brilliant, more charismatic, more complex thinker, and more adept at coming up with GREAT IDEA - in short, wizardlike than the rest of the other artists ...... in Carrie's approach to business in her career - WITH A GUARANTEED "HIGH PROFITABILITY". CARRIE TEND TO BE SIMPLE - some might even say simplistic - in her approach to her business in her career. Yet simple ...... DOES NOT MEAN EASY.
    In business, POPULARITY is a **TREASURE** ...... hard-won on the battlefields of SONG DEVELOPMENT and MARKETING, then LEVERAGED or SQUANDERED. Most of the songs and albums we buy - owe their status IN PART to aggressive marketing. In its most potent and permanent form, however, POPULARITY TRANSCENDS sales pitches, advertising, and maybe even CONSCIOUS CHOICE ...... Before He Cheats song, Blown Away song, Some Hearts album, the artist Taylor Swift, etc. - FITS this MOLD. Number One position in Mediabase Country Radio Airplay Charts is NOT POPULARITY - it is a PROMOTION. It is DEPENDENT on the MONEY and the PUSH invested by the label - this is true in all commercial radios in ALL GENRES.

READ:

CLICK: Radio Airplay 101 - Commercial Airplay Myths

CLICK: Radio Airplay 101 - Why You Have To Promote To Radio

The increasing dynamics of song market and album market SHOULD FORCE Carrie Underwood to continually adapt her songs and albums to ...... CHANGING NEEDS and OPPORTUNITIES. And Carrie Underwood DID. Song INNOVATION, however, is no longer the SOLE KEY to success. Heightened competition and the DECLINE of song market and album market SHOULD COMPEL Carrie Underwood to begin abandoning PURELY technical-oriented songs (LIKE PURELY telling stories about real people songs) IN FAVOR of **STRONGER MARKET-ORIENTED** songs (LIKE Good Girl, Blown Away, Two Black Cadillacs, Something In The Water, etc.) Hence, rapid conversion of song requirements and song ideas ...... into MARKET-ORIENTED SONG INNOVATION is the key factor influencing success in GAINING a COMPETITIVE ADVANTAGE in the *SONG MARKET*.

mbh
    Obsessed Carrie Fan
    In business, POPULARITY is a **TREASURE** ...... hard-won on the battlefields of SONG DEVELOPMENT and MARKETING, then LEVERAGED or SQUANDERED. Most of the songs and albums we buy - owe their status IN PART to aggressive marketing. In its most potent and permanent form, however, POPULARITY TRANSCENDS sales pitches, advertising, and maybe even CONSCIOUS CHOICE ...... Before He Cheats song, Blown Away song, Some Hearts album, the artist Taylor Swift, etc. - FITS this MOLD. Number One position in Mediabase Country Radio Airplay Charts is NOT POPULARITY - it is a PROMOTION. It is DEPENDENT on the MONEY and the PUSH invested by the label - this is true in all commercial radios in ALL GENRES.

READ:

CLICK: Radio Airplay 101 - Commercial Airplay Myths

CLICK: Radio Airplay 101 - Why You Have To Promote To Radio

The increasing dynamics of song market and album market SHOULD FORCE Carrie Underwood to continually adapt her songs and albums to ...... CHANGING NEEDS and OPPORTUNITIES. And Carrie Underwood DID. Song INNOVATION, however, is no longer the SOLE KEY to success. Heightened competition and the DECLINE of song market and album market SHOULD COMPEL Carrie Underwood to begin abandoning PURELY technical-oriented songs (LIKE PURELY telling stories about real people songs) IN FAVOR of **STRONGER MARKET-ORIENTED** songs (LIKE Good Girl, Blown Away, Two Black Cadillacs, Something In The Water, etc.) Hence, rapid conversion of song requirements and song ideas ...... into MARKET-ORIENTED SONG INNOVATION is the key factor influencing success in GAINING a COMPETITIVE ADVANTAGE in the *SONG MARKET*.
    If we have to think about the purchase of a song - it is a precarious position, UNLESS, the artist is "Taylor Swift". My mission here is NOT TO JUDGE a song but to use the best available METHODOLOGY - to determine the WINNER of the never-ending "POPULARITY CONTEST" - the bottom line, the "NET PROFIT".

Managing the success of a song entails analyzing CONSUMER BEHAVIOR (most specially the artist's FAN BASE) to determine how to expand with a NEW SONG and how to improve profitability. CERTAINLY, "Storyteller" album has a BROADER STYLES of music which is a typical Carrie Underwood album - offers consumers/FAN BASE MORE CHOICES and gives "Storyteller" album MORE OPPORTUNITIES to capture consumers with DIFFERENT NEEDS and DIFFERENT TASTES of music.

A key decision for any label is how to reach consumers so that "Storyteller" album will become a HIGH MARKET-SHARE and a HIGH-GROWTH album - specially the Holiday Season Sales. It owes it status IN PART to AGGRESSIVE MARKETING and AGGRESSIVE SALES TACTICS, from knocking on doors to strong-arming STORES like Walmart, Target, Best Buy, etc. to GAIN THE BEST "SHELF SPACES" - most specially during this COMING "HOLIDAY SEASON" as "CHRISTMAS GIFTS". Good luck Carrie Underwood!!!
    yehchern likes this.

mbh
    Obsessed Carrie Fan
    If we have to think about the purchase of a song - it is a precarious position, UNLESS, the artist is "Taylor Swift". My mission here is NOT TO JUDGE a song but to use the best available METHODOLOGY - to determine the WINNER of the never-ending "POPULARITY CONTEST" - the bottom line, the "NET PROFIT".

Managing the success of a song entails analyzing CONSUMER BEHAVIOR (most specially the artist's FAN BASE) to determine how to expand with a NEW SONG and how to improve profitability. CERTAINLY, "Storyteller" album has a BROADER STYLES of music which is a typical Carrie Underwood album - offers consumers/FAN BASE MORE CHOICES and gives "Storyteller" album MORE OPPORTUNITIES to capture consumers with DIFFERENT NEEDS and DIFFERENT TASTES of music.

A key decision for any label is how to reach consumers so that "Storyteller" album will become a HIGH MARKET-SHARE and a HIGH-GROWTH album - specially the Holiday Season Sales. It owes it status IN PART to AGGRESSIVE MARKETING and AGGRESSIVE SALES TACTICS, from knocking on doors to strong-arming STORES like Walmart, Target, Best Buy, etc. to GAIN THE BEST "SHELF SPACES" - most specially during this COMING "HOLIDAY SEASON" as "CHRISTMAS GIFTS". Good luck Carrie Underwood!!!
    My ALL TIME FAVORITE song is "Jesus Take The Wheel" of our beloved Carrie Underwood because this song gave many miracles in my life by playing it as a "PRAYER", FEELING IT with all my heart and soul. Then after I played it, I will say ...... IN THE NAME OF "JESUS", HELP ME!!! And ...... HALLELUJAH!!! The Holy Spirit will SURELY come and help you. JUST LATELY - I cried because I had a miracle. And I thank "Jesus Christ, Our Lord" FOR BEATING THE **ENEMY OF GOD**. HALLELUJAH!!!
    lizcarlo likes this.

mbh
    Obsessed Carrie Fan

I will CHALLENGE "Team Carrie" to focus on ANALYZING "CONSUMER BEHAVIOR" (most specially Carrie Underwood's FAN BASE). "IF", the lead single is NOT "Smoke Break" - Carrie Underwood will DEFINITELY be NUMBER ONE in the first week sales and will sell NO LESS THAN 200,000 albums in the first week. Carrie Underwood's FAN BASE was BUILT on Season 4 American Idol Show AUDIENCE in 2005. So, the FAN BASE consists MOSTLY of MAINSTREAM MUSIC FANS and it steadily grows. Singles LIKE Good Girl, Blown Away, Two Black Cadillac, Something In The Water, Before He Cheats, Jesus Take The Wheel, and Cowboy Casanova are ALL HIT SONGS in terms of Digital Download SALES and POPULARITY in Carrie's FAN BASE. In fact, Carrie's performance of the song "Paradise City" in her LIVE CONCERT TOURS was EVEN A LOT MORE POPULAR based on the reaction of the crowd.

The SINGLE planning process must leave room for creativity and ensure largely "NONHIERARCHICAL DECISION" and MUST reduce the risk of BIASED decision making like OVEREMPHASIS on WHATEVER IS THE FAVORITE of Carrie Underwood. It MUST be a TEAM'S DECISION. Experts from various professional and functional areas of the label MUST BE INVOLVED.

Also, song market and album market often appreciates and wants to receive stimulation for the buying decision he/she is making when looking at the TITLE of the song and the COVER of the album. Although, the MELODY is still the MOST IMPORTANT FORCE in selling songs and selling the album. The music market is often keen to be informed, inspired, and tempted to buy a song and album by sensual impression. MANY buyer, most specially people who HATE SMOKING and DOES NOT LIKE smoking will NOT EVEN TRY TO LISTEN to the song "Smoke Break".

mbh
    Obsessed Carrie Fan
    My ALL TIME FAVORITE song is "Jesus Take The Wheel" of our beloved Carrie Underwood because this song gave many miracles in my life by playing it as a "PRAYER", FEELING IT with all my heart and soul. Then after I played it, I will say ...... IN THE NAME OF "JESUS", HELP ME!!! And ...... HALLELUJAH!!! The Holy Spirit will SURELY come and help you. JUST LATELY - I cried because I had a miracle. And I thank "Jesus Christ, Our Lord" FOR BEATING THE **ENEMY OF GOD**. HALLELUJAH!!!
    I give thanks to the Lord, Jesus Christ for the song "JESUS TAKE THE WHEEL" and the song "SOMETHING IN THE WATER" of our beloved Carrie Underwood.

Therefore, I ask you, Carrie Fans to pray FOR THE SUCCESS of Carrie Underwood, her Storyteller album, and her 2016 Storyteller Live Concert Tours - to the Lord our God.

"I" BELIEVE in one God, the Father almighty, maker of heaven and earth, of all things visible and invisible.

"I" BELIEVE in one Lord, Jesus Christ the Only Begotten Son of God and by the Holy Spirit was incarnate of the Virgin Mary, and became man. He ascended into heaven and is seated at the right hand of the Father.

"I" BELIEVE in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the giver of life.

May almighty God BLESS Carrie Underwood, her Storyteller album, and her 2016 Storyteller Live Concert Tours ...... In the name of Jesus Christ, our Lord. AMEN.

"I" BELIEVE in one God, the Father almighty, maker of heaven and earth, of all things visible and invisible.

"I" BELIEVE in one Lord, Jesus Christ the Only Begotten Son of God and by the Holy Spirit was incarnate of the Virgin Mary, and became man. He ascended into heaven and is seated at the right hand of the Father.

May almighty God BLESS Carrie Underwood, her Storyteller album, and her 2016 Storyteller Live Concert Tours ...... In the name of Jesus Christ, our Lord. AMEN.
    Gross.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by carebear4eva View Post
    Gross.
    Don't be disrespectful. This as officially become mbh thread. Let him be.
    terilyn likes this.

Junior Carrie Follower
    I give thanks to the Lord, Jesus Christ for the song "JESUS TAKE THE WHEEL" and the song "SOMETHING IN THE WATER" of our beloved Carrie Underwood.

Therefore, I ask you, Carrie Fans to pray FOR THE SUCCESS of Carrie Underwood, her Storyteller album, and her 2016 Storyteller Live Concert Tours - to the Lord our God.

You want us to recite the Nicene Creed to help Carrie's Storyteller era?? Your dedication to your faith is admirable, but the constant yet random postings you make here with reference to prayer and biblical scripture honestly freak me out. And I'm Catholic. Why don't you pray for the souls of those who just lost their lives in the Russian air plane crash in Egypt, or the innocent people being pushed out of their homes in the Middle East by ISIS and the West?

mbh
    Obsessed Carrie Fan
    I will CHALLENGE "Team Carrie" to focus on ANALYZING "CONSUMER BEHAVIOR" (most specially Carrie Underwood's FAN BASE). "IF", the lead single is NOT "Smoke Break" - Carrie Underwood will DEFINITELY be NUMBER ONE in the first week sales and will sell NO LESS THAN 200,000 albums in the first week. Carrie Underwood's FAN BASE was BUILT on Season 4 American Idol Show AUDIENCE in 2005. So, the FAN BASE consists MOSTLY of MAINSTREAM MUSIC FANS and it steadily grows. Singles LIKE Good Girl, Blown Away, Two Black Cadillac, Something In The Water, Before He Cheats, Jesus Take The Wheel, and Cowboy Casanova are ALL HIT SONGS in terms of Digital Download SALES and POPULARITY in Carrie's FAN BASE. In fact, Carrie's performance of the song "Paradise City" in her LIVE CONCERT TOURS was EVEN A LOT MORE POPULAR based on the reaction of the crowd.

The SINGLE planning process must leave room for creativity and ensure largely "NONHIERARCHICAL DECISION" and MUST reduce the risk of BIASED decision making like OVEREMPHASIS on WHATEVER IS THE FAVORITE of Carrie Underwood. It MUST be a TEAM'S DECISION. Experts from various professional and functional areas of the label MUST BE INVOLVED.

Also, song market and album market often appreciates and wants to receive stimulation for the buying decision he/she is making when looking at the TITLE of the song and the COVER of the album. Although, the MELODY is still the MOST IMPORTANT FORCE in selling songs and selling the album. The music market is often keen to be informed, inspired, and tempted to buy a song and album by sensual impression. MANY buyer, most specially people who HATE SMOKING and DOES NOT LIKE smoking will NOT EVEN TRY TO LISTEN to the song "Smoke Break".
    The MARKETING and SALES PLAN for Storyteller album must have an AGGRESSIVE MARKETING and AGGRESSIVE SALES TACTICS, from knocking on doors from strong arming stores like Walmart, Target, Best Buy, etc. to gain the "BEST SHELF SPACE" - during this coming Holiday until one week after Christmas Week. How they will execute it and how they will ultimately generate sales depends on how they will convey Storyteller album and its featured songs and its uniqueness TO THE POTENTIAL CUSTOMERS (most specially Carrie's FAN BASE) - to buy Storyteller album through AGGRESSIVE MARKETING.

•