Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Like Tree516Likes

Thread: Sony Nashville finds new CEO

mbh
    Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by prettylittlemustang View Post
    So what you're saying is that we can't have any other artists beside Carrie?
    What "Tee" meant is that - Gary Overton FOCUSED TOO MUCH in pushing Miranda Lambert for AWARDS in order to GENERATE SALES for Miranda and NEGLECTING "Carrie Underwood", "Brad Paisely" and "Kenny Chesney". I strongly BELIEVE this PUSH REALLY MATTERS - we will see in the NEAR FUTURE - in a couple of months, the RESULT of this NEW CHANGE. The MARKETING BUDGETS set by Doug Morris to Sony Music Nashville has some CONSTRAINTS. I strongly BELIEVE - Gary Overton DIVERTED "SOME" of the budgets of Carrie, Kenny and Brad to Miranda Lambert in order to GENERATE SALES for Miranda. In this CONTEXT - Gary Overton's subsequent management activities FAILED "TO MAXIMIZE PROFITS". The QUANTIFICATION of his CLASSIC DIVERTED BUDGET to Miranda can easily be seen and figure out in the RELEASE OF SINGLES in the country radio airplay charts in the LAST FIVE YEARS of his TENURE - READ:

CLICK: Radio Airplay 101 - Commercial Airplay Myths

CLICK: Radio Airplay 101 - Why You Have To Promote To Radio

We will see again in the NEAR FUTURE (the future singles of Carrie Underwood from the FIFTH ALBUM) - the RESULT of this NEW CHANGE. I am VERY OPTIMISTIC ABOUT "Carrie Underwood" with Randy Goodman and I am VERY EXCITED!!!

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    first cut, whether her doing or the new CEO,Sara Evans is no longer listed on SN website.
    rainbow1, Ann055, txacar and 6 others like this.

Huge Carrie Follower
    ^The Henningsens are gone, too, which is not surprising as they never took off. Regardless, the new CEO isn't messing around.
    mbh likes this.

Concert Stars
    That's too bad, I like Sara.
    txacar, terilyn and bluetb4 like this.

Insane Carrie Fan Carrieroxmysox2011's Avatar
    Aw damn poor Sara :-(

Concert Stars
    Noticed Henningsons are gone but Pistol Annies are still there. What's with that????
    rainbow1, bluetb4 and mbh like this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    The heads started to roll a little bit sooner than I thought they would.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by maddkat View Post
    first cut, whether her doing or the new CEO,Sara Evans is no longer listed on SN website.
    Wow that is terrible. I liked her. I was wondering why she never released any new singles lately.
    rainbow1 likes this.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by JB172 View Post
    The heads started to roll a little bit sooner than I thought they would.
    It is quite sad. First Martina got cut, now Sara Evans. What that says to me is that women become useless to country music labels when they hit 40.

That is why I worry about Carrie when she reaches 40 as country radio puts you out to pasture. If they ever cut her just because she is 40, they are the biggest fools in the world.

Carrie is the next Reba, and she will be an Icon. Anyone cutting her from a label is insane.

Sorry- I am just panicking for the future. lol
    rainbow1, txacar and mbh like this.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by teesharky View Post
    It is quite sad. First Martina got cut, now Sara Evans. What that says to me is that women become useless to country music labels when they hit 40.

That is why I worry about Carrie when she reaches 40 as country radio puts you out to pasture. If they ever cut her just because she is 40, they are the biggest fools in the world.

Carrie is the next Reba, and she will be an Icon. Anyone cutting her from a label is insane.

Sara has a big CMT Crossroads coming up with REO Speedwagon. Should be a good one. Again, don't understand why Pistol Annies are still on the roster.

I think Carrie is more mainstream than Reba.

Carrie is the first Carrie.

Bigger than country, but not a full crossover, yet everyone knows her.

More popular than Faith, Reba (modern legends), less popular than Shania, Taylor.
    teesharky and txacar like this.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by txacar View Post
    Sara has a big CMT Crossroads coming up with REO Speedwagon. Should be a good one. Again, don't understand why Pistol Annies are still on the roster.
    Don't you though? Precious Miranda is in Pistol Annies, so therefore, it will continue to exist on the label and take up precious shelf space that should belong to poor Sara or other active artists. They are not even together anymore, but naturally, Miranda is in it so they will not cut them.
    txacar and mbh like this.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by tgbrinker View Post
    I think Carrie is more mainstream than Reba.

Carrie is the first Carrie.

Bigger than country, but not a full crossover, yet everyone knows her.

More popular than Faith, Reba (modern legends), less popular than Shania, Taylor.
    Well Taylor is not Country and never was--so she should not be included in any discussions anymore. lol

but otherwise I agree with you.
    tgbrinker likes this.

Concert Stars
    Well Taylor is not Country and never was--so she should not be included in any discussions anymore. lol

but otherwise I agree with you.
    She was country for her first era, and slightly for her second. Her debut album was pure country. Can't argue that. Just so happened Teardrops on My Guitar crossed over.

Concert Stars
    ^ It did not "just so happen" to cross over. She intentionally remixed everything to pop--- every song, every album, and called herself Pop overseas from day 1, but country in the USA to manipulate both markets. I do not consider her to ever have been country at heart, even if her songs had some token fiddles or country instruments. She was always a Pop artist-- bubble gum pop. She is from Pennsylvania for gosh sakes, and went to Britney Spears camp as a kid. She is about as country as SNoop Dog, with no ties to the south or country in her blood. She grew up very wealthy, the daughter of corporate stock brokers or something like that. Her Dad helped finance her record deal. Sorry, but she was never country at heart to me. Her music always sounded Bubble gum pop to me from day 1.

mbh
    Obsessed Carrie Fan

The "bottom line" of ANY marketing activities is the "NET PROFIT"!!! This is BUSINESS - the label will NOT spend money on ANY artist WITHOUT ANY "RETURN ON THE INVESTED CAPITAL". So, the "performance figures" of ANY artist is the "KEY" - how the artists will ultimately GENERATE SALES and GIVE THEM "A NET PROFIT" is - the "KEY". This is the "QUANTITATIVE" measure that they will consider before they cut any artist from their roster. "IF", an artist could not give them a "RETURN ON THEIR INVESTMENT" - they will have an "indirect measures", "QUALITATIVE ANALYSIS" - ESSENTIALLY tracking the artist's performance in terms of her/his "LONG-TERM MARKETING STRENGTHS - to **generate sales and give them a net profit**".

I EXPECT "Carrie Underwood" to give them the "NET PROFIT" - even if Carrie Underwood reaches the age of SIXTY OR MORE!!!

Concert Stars

Why wait when you can begin to worry now about stuff 10 years hence. Get a jump on it & please keep us informed.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Sony's page on Sara Evans is returning a "not found" notice, and RCA's page is returning "the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete."
    There appears, at the moment, to be no general news breaking on what might have happened. (She has been with RCA throughout her 18 year recording career, and, unless there is a buy-out, they presumably own her entire back catalogue)

Wade Bowen probably illustrates the difficulty that can arise when your music may not fit the label's current promotional drive - although his problems with the Sony Group go back to the Overton era, before Goodman took over. I understand he was faced with a choice between Sony releasing a digital EP of new songs, or going for a full independent CD album which would only be promoted to the Texas-Oklahoma regional market. Understandably he opted for the latter - though he believes his music has appeal to a wider audience that the major labels seem unwilling to cultivate.

There have been suggestions that the Pistol Annies may record together again at some point. I appreciate that they may not be to everyone's taste (just as many of the artists praised here are a long way off my taste), but I think it's important that major labels make some effort to support a variety of Country styles, and not aim solely for a homogeneous blend of Pop-leaning feel good songs. I think they are one of the most interesting acts to hit the Mainstream in a long time - and as the approach, of artists at different levels of general public awareness, sharing not only writing, but also both lead singing, and even alternative verses in the same song, is unique in the Mainstream, I hope Sony both continue to keep them on the roster and do all they can to foster further recording.

It may be worth mentioning that Sony have retained faith in the Dixie Chicks - despite an often stormy relationship - even though they've recorded no new material since 2006 - and Columbia continue to back their latter-day offshoot, the Court Yard Hounds, even though they are considered part of the "Americana" scene, which the label does not normally release to.
    abbeyjones18 likes this.

•  
    Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567