Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree516Likes

Thread: Sony Nashville finds new CEO

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by terilyn View Post
    I can't get to this article can someone copy and paste?

Randy Goodman is poised to become the new CEO of Sony Nashville, sources told The Tennessean.
    The job has been vacant since former CEO and Chairman Gary Overton and the company mutually parted ways in March.
    Goodman has reached an agreement to take the job, but sources said the deal is not finalized. Goodman did not respond to requests for comment and a Sony spokesman said the company had no comment.
    Goodman will be returning to his roots. He cut his teeth at RCA Nashville, first in marketing and publicity, and then worked his way up to general manager and senior vice president under revered executive Joe Galante.
    Sony is one of three major record labels in Nashville and, though the top job in Nashville has been vacant for more than three months, the cupboard is certainly not bare. Sony Nashville counts Carrie Underwood, Brad Paisley, Kenny Chesney, Miranda Lambert and Garth Brooks among its artists.
    Goodman left RCA to start Lyric Street Records in 1997, a country label owned by Disney. He currently works in artist management at Maverick Management, formerly Spalding Entertainment. Goodman represents former Lyric Street band Rascal Flatts.

Galante said he believed Goodman would be an excellent choice for the job, touting his experience, temperament, wide range of experience and appreciation for the proud legacies of Sony and RCA in Nashville.
    "Randy grew up in the music business with some of the legends who are the basis of the Sony catalogue," Galante said. "Everyone from Dolly Parton to Waylon Jennings, Eddy Arnold, Charley Pride.
    "He knows a number of the staff members. I think he has a world of experience, not only what he learned at RCA Nashville and RCA New York, but he also built his own company and then has had the last year to gain experience on the management side."
    In addition to his 30 years of experience in the music industry, Goodman is also an established civic leader in Nashville. He was the co-chairman of Nashville Mayor Karl Dean's Music City Music Council, an advisory board that helped develop music-focused economic development initiatives and connect Music Row to Metro government.

In January Goodman was named to the Convention Center Authority's board of directors. His LinkedIn page indicates that Goodman served as CMA board chairman and president in 2008-09 and is currently a trustee for the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum.
    "He is a people person," Galante said. "He is a music guy, he is an artist guy. He's passionate. He's smart. He's hungry to make it right in terms of the Sony legacy. I don't think there's a more perfect fit."
    The looming hiring of Goodman comes with a word of warning, since rumors have been swirling around Sony Nashville naming a new CEO even before Overton's departure. In recent months, the focus has centered around executive Jason Owen at Sandbox Management. Owen declined to comment about his interest in the job in April.

terilyn, mbh, tigercae and 3 others like this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by pklongbeach View Post
    Well I am really happy about this. It sounds like a huge step forward. The article lays to rest any question that I had about what a terrible job Overton was doing. They have been trying to get rid of him for a while with no success. He finally just had to announce he was leaving cause it was just to obvious. You can read between the lines to see than no one at Sony felt he was the man for the job. And it sounds like most are optimistic that the new CEO has what it takes to turn things around.
    I agree with JB but only to a point; I do think they are going to trim the fat, and they need to. But I disagree that the change will have no affect on Carrie. I actually think it will have a big impact. If they are smart, while they are trimming down, they will bolster any project that stands to make immediate money. And that is where Carrie is poised to be. I think it is a very good thing going into the Fall. We shall see. It may be too early for any real affect, but I think we may be pleasantly surprised. I can actually feel the affects already! There has already been a huge shift between the SITW era and the LTG era. And I think we are going to continue to feel it grow.....
    As a board member of CMA, he was not a voter, but he was one that was part of a team that made sure Carries name and face stay conntected to the organization even as the voters were voting for another woman instead of her. So its all good.

Only the future can tell weather all this change is too late in coming......
    Where are they going to promote her in an area where she hasn't already been promoted?

IMO the new material is going to have by far a bigger impact than any label head is going to bring, she is arguably one of the top 5 solo female artist on the planet and she has been around 10 years so there aren't very many people who doesn't know what she brings to the table.
    pklongbeach and DizzyDollyDee like this.

^ ^Thank you for the post. JG's insight I read as a good thing.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by JB172 View Post
    Where are they going to promote her in an area where she hasn't already been promoted?

IMO the new material is going to have by far a bigger impact than any label head is going to bring, she is arguably one of the top 5 solo female artist on the planet and she has been around 10 years so there aren't very many people who doesn't know what she brings to the table.
    Of course. You are right. What I am talking about is politics. If you believe politics rules these award shows and the industry in general, which I do, than it is a matter of what product the label is pushing within the voting body this season and how they can get the voting body interested in voting their way. Its all about that. Promotion, that is all the whole thing is about. A money making venture. It is my humble opinion that Carrie Underwood is still a potentially huge money maker and it makes sense that the label should push that product line to get money flowing again. I really do think Overton thought it would be a good idea to pad the pockets by trying to make Miranda "happen" while relying on artirts like Carrie to continue to bring in the bread, and he wasted time and money doing so. I think Miranda was already growing her fan base and support and did not need the artificial pushing she got. But pushing and promoting your top money makers like Kenny Carrie Brad does make sense. And I think Overton intentionally made Miranda the shiny penny that he wanted people to pay attention to. And it was a mistake. I think it would have been much more prudent to continue to dump money into what they already knew made them money, Carrie.
    And I will not be surprised if that is exactly what they do.
    JB172, mbh, terilyn and 5 others like this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Of course. You are right. What I am talking about is politics. If you believe politics rules these award shows and the industry in general, which I do, than it is a matter of what product the label is pushing within the voting body this season and how they can get the voting body interested in voting their way. Its all about that. Promotion, that is all the whole thing is about. A money making venture. It is my humble opinion that Carrie Underwood is still a potentially huge money maker and it makes sense that the label should push that product line to get money flowing again. I really do think Overton thought it would be a good idea to pad the pockets by trying to make Miranda "happen" while relying on artirts like Carrie to continue to bring in the bread, and he wasted time and money doing so. I think Miranda was already growing her fan base and support and did not need the artificial pushing she got. But pushing and promoting your top money makers like Kenny Carrie Brad does make sense. And I think Overton intentionally made Miranda the shiny penny that he wanted people to pay attention to. And it was a mistake. I think it would have been much more prudent to continue to dump money into what they already knew made them money, Carrie.
    And I will not be surprised if that is exactly what they do.
    Overton put way to many of his eggs into the Lambert basket and didn't get the return on it that he expected and he was shown the door, the whole "mutual agreement" of him leaving was just Sony being nice not to call it a firing, he did raise Lambert's profile but not enough in the eyes of his bosses.

I think that the ship has sailed on Paisley being as successful as he has been in the past, Chesney is way more marketable than Brad is IMO, Carrie is Carrie and I would just let her do her thing.

Once Goodman & Robold get in there and get the people in place that they want in the front office if that consist of keeping people there or bringing in people that they think fit better than people already there they need to try to find a younger male artist who's best years are not behind them and work on the profiles of the duos & groups they already have there or look around town to see what is out there to booster that part of their roster.

Concert Stars
    ^you're absolutely right. IF they are really going to go all out, they could go all out with a really likable good looking solo male artist with a fresh idea and look. They don't have to do the bro-country thing but they can be upbeat and inventive. That and another FGL but less obnoxious and more creative. I really kept an open mind with those guys and they turned out to be everything that is wrong with country now. just cant stand the sight of them anymore......ha ha ha ha.......
    mbh, terilyn, rainbow1 and 5 others like this.

mbh
    Obsessed Carrie Fan
    I strongly agree to both "pklongbeach" and "JB172" - "Business Management 101" and "Business School DOCTRINE". I THINK the "Board of Directors" of "Sony Music Entertainment, Inc." went after Gary Overton - WHY IS THIS "CEO" SPENDING A LOT OF OUR MONEY TO "Miranda Lambert" WITHOUT ANY "Return on OUR INVESTMENT?".

mbh
    Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Do you remember "Dan Loeb" (Daniel S. Loeb)? He is a billionaire and HEAD of "ONE" of Sony's "LARGEST SHAREHOLDERS". Dan blasted Sony Entertainment Division. He said, "Sony Entertainment Division's OPERATION has high salaries for UNDERPERFORMING EXECUTIVES and has MARKETING BUDGETS that do not seem to be in line with any sense of "RETURN ON CAPITAL INVESTED". He is an "activist" in the Board of Directors of Sony Incorporation - VERY ACTIVE in 2013, 2014, and 2015.

Concert Stars
    don't know what to think!

Insane Carrie Fan
    ^you're absolutely right. IF they are really going to go all out, they could go all out with a really likable good looking solo male artist with a fresh idea and look. They don't have to do the bro-country thing but they can be upbeat and inventive. That and another FGL but less obnoxious and more creative. I really kept an open mind with those guys and they turned out to be everything that is wrong with country now. just cant stand the sight of them anymore......ha ha ha ha.......
    How about another FGL that can sing? Those guys are so flat. There must be a group or duo of guys out there with good voices.
    terilyn, pklongbeach, mbh and 1 others like this.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by ethelu View Post
    How about another FGL that can sing? Those guys are so flat. There must be a group or duo of guys out there with good voices.
    And that don't have the most fake country "accent" that doesn't go away when they sing. Ugh. It is so bad!
    mbh likes this.

Obsessed Chart Watcher cary78663's Avatar
    From Country Aircheck:

» Sony Update: Industry vet Randy Goodman has officially been named Chairman/CEO of Sony/Nashville, Ken Robold has been named EVP/COO and Steve Hodges is EVP/Promotion & Artist Development. The moves, tipped earlier today and rumored for weeks, are effective Monday (7/13). Congratulate Goodman here, Robold here and Hodges here.

“Randy Goodman is a highly respected member of the Nashville community with a proven track record of success in developing hit artists," says Sony Music Entertainment CEO Doug Morris.

Goodman adds, "Having started my career at RCA/Nashville, now a cornerstone of Sony Music, this is a homecoming for me, and I couldn't be happier or more honored to be entrusted to lead this great group.... Ken and Steve are consummate professionals whose industry acumen, passion and accomplishments speak for themselves."

Robold says, "It's an honor to be joining a company with the rich musical legacy Sony enjoys." Hodges says, "It's an extremely exciting time for Sony/Nashville ... an exciting opportunity for me and I can't say enough about the vision and leadership that Randy embodies. I'm also thrilled to be a teammate with Ken in this endeavor."

Concert Stars
    God speed, Randy Goodman. Hopefully he helps propel Carrie even further and elevates some B-list artists like Chris Young to upper echelons.

Concert Stars
    "Randy Goodman and Ken Robold are two of the most artist-supportive, focused, and creative people in town,” said Nancy Russell, Alan Jackson’s former manager. “That place has been like a lost ship on the sea without a captain for too long, so it’s comforting to know that what Joe Galante built during his many years at RCA and then Sony will be in capable hands again. It’s great news for the Nashville community."

Although hopes for Overton’s reign ran high at the time, Sony’s market share dipped during his tenure, and Goodman’s supporters believe what’s happening now is what should have happened five years ago.

“Gary was the proverbial ‘guy after the guy’,” said a former Sony Nashville VP, remarking on the shadow in which Overton had to work. “The plum gig is the guy after the guy after the guy, which is where the job sits now.”
    Link

It's as if they're trying to pretend the Overton era never happened. Just Joe Galante and now Galante 2.0. Kind of like how you need the DFTRM between the JTTW and BHC (no offense to DFTRM), or the Unconditionally between the Roar and Dark Horse.

^^ Overton wasn't that great at his job. I can't say that I blame them to be honest. I hope they can get Cam more noticed.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by lizcarlo View Post
    ^^ Overton wasn't that great at his job. I can't say that I blame them to be honest. I hope they can get Cam more noticed.
    She's already noticed. Didn't she just set a record for adds? Radio is loving her song.
    rainbow1, terilyn and carrieguy2 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by txacar View Post
    She's already noticed. Didn't she just set a record for adds? Radio is loving her song.
    I'm happy for her. I hope this leads to mainstream award nominations, performances on award shows ect.
    teesharky likes this.

Concert Stars
    Wonder if Carrie has met him yet. What is COO?

Concert Stars
    ^ Tx cary. So that means he starts July 13th, Monday--- not March 2016 as Billboard said? Thank God.

I am going to try to give this guy a chance until he proves unworthy. Hopefully he will do a good job with Carrie's album launch. It can't get much worse so things can only go UP with him.

He looks like a nice/decent guy:

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbow1 View Post
    Wonder if Carrie has met him yet. What is COO?
    Chief Operating Officer
    rainbow1 likes this.

•  
    Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast