Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree109Likes

Thread: Is Kacey Musgraves Dissing Miranda Lambert, Taylor Swift and Carrie Underwood in This

Concert Stars

Is Kacey Musgraves Dissing Miranda Lambert, Taylor Swift and Carrie Underwood in This

Is Kacey Musgraves Dissing Miranda Lambert, Taylor Swift and Carrie Underwood in This FADER Interview? | E! Online

Kacey Musgraves isn't necessarily loving the state of country music right now.
    In a new interview with FADER's June/July issue, the 26-year-old "Merry 'Go Round" singer opens up about some problems she has with the genre and some of its current top stars.
    FADER notes that Kacey's upcoming album title, Pageant Material, is at least in part "a reference to criticism over a bored-looking frown she was caught making on camera" when she lost to Miranda Lambert for Female Vocalist of the Year at the 2013 CMA Awards.
    PHOTOS: Country music's cutest couples!
    This album title is ironic, Kacey notes, because she doesn't feel like she fits into that Pageant Material mold. "Especially for women, you need a certain face at award shows when you lose or you're an a--hole," she tells FADER. "You can't have a potty mouth or an opinion. In the South, getting judged on superficial stuff is a real thing. And I'm not attacking the people that might get something positive out of pageantry; I'm just not into being judged in that way."
    That's not the only issue Kacey's had with commercial country music in recent years. "There was this cycle in Nashville where if you were a girl, you had to be really sassy: ‘You cheated on me, so I'm going to burn your house down,'" she tells the mag, which notes she's seemingly referring to Miranda again and also Carrie Underwood, both famous for their take-down-the-cheater chart toppers. "I've never felt a kinship to those kinds of songs"
    "The more country that my music gets, the less it fits into the country world today," Kacey admits. "It's almost like there needs to be two genres, modern country and...country?"
    NEWS: Martina McBride stands up for female artists after radio consultant claims country fans prefer songs by men
    There's a lyric from a song called "Good Ol' Boys" on Kacey's new album that goes: "Another gear in a big machine don't sound like good to me." FADER notes this is a reference to Nashville's Big Machine, the label built around Taylor Swift 's success, but Kacey insists, "I'm talking about a lot of different people."
    "Any industry has its shoo-ins and people that get in because they know somebody, or their dad worked here, whatever," she says. "But, yeah, there is a wink."
    Not to worry, though—Taylor's said goodbye to country and gone full-pop, and Kacey's not lusting after her kind of success anyway. "The idea of massive amounts of fame—having my face on Walgreens end-caps and pizza boxes—I don't fantasize about that," Kacey tells FADER. "Do I want to be comfortable, to live my life however I want within reason? Yeah. But I'm happy with just being a songwriter. I'd rather have smaller numbers [of fans] that are really into what I'm doing than a massive amount of people that don't really know what I'm about."

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    E! is looking for hits, IMO Kacey was referring to all boy bashing songs and not specifically talking about the artist who sings them.

Insane Carrie Fan
    Never been her biggest fan, but good for her. Seems like she was referencing the face controversy at the CMAs not Miranda. She doesn't like the sing BHC type songs, so what, although she wrote "Mama's Broken Heart". Although, the Taylor reference seems pretty clear, but she's just saying. No biggie.

Fader Magazine??? I honestly never heard of them.

sco
    Insane Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by JB172 View Post
    E! is looking for hits, IMO Kacey was referring to all boy bashing songs and not specifically talking about the artist who sings them.
    Agreed! Kacey was not 'dissing' anybody. Another so called excuse for a journalist trying to stir up controversy where there isn't any. Why they insist on trying to pit the women in country against each other is beyond me.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by abbeyjones18 View Post
    Fader Magazine??? I honestly never heard of them.
    Kacey Musgraves Becomes First Country Star To Cover 'The Fader' | Billboard

KACEY MUSGRAVES@KaceyMusgraves 7h7 hours ago
    Proud to be the 1st Country artist with a cover for @thefader - comes out June 30th!

abbeyjones18 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by txacar View Post
    Well, I guess I'm going to get to know them, lol. It's a great article on Kacey, though. E! definitely just trying to get those hits on their site.
    txacar likes this.

Concert Stars
    What the heck is the Fader? lmao
    abbeyjones18 likes this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    The Fader is a magazine that specializes in Alternative and Emerging Music - it has a reputation for spotting artists who may (in some cases) become Mainstream and critical sucesses.
    The article on Kacey is well worth reading, and contains detail on her background (I've followed her since the early days of MySpace, though, like most artists, there's been quite a bit of change over the years in both her music and her career focus). One point I'd make about her getting a cover story in The Fader is that it probably illustrates the relative difficulty she's had in getting full suport from the Mainstream Country establishment (her joining the Perry tour, and the work she put into cultivating a UK and European fan base are further examples of how she's needed to find alternative channels - apparently quite successfully)

I would not take much notice of the E! Online take on the article - they are "celebrity" focused, and probably see mileage in trying to capitalize on the widespread fascination with fan rivalry)

The one reference to Carrie in the article was an editorial supposition, not a named quote, and, as others have said, Kacey is speaking generally about the contrast between the often assertive "attitude" based Country, and her own more gentle vocal style, combined with a wry sarcasm that is usually more directed at social observation, rather than personal wrongs. Kacey responded positively to Carrie's comments on marriage equality, and apparently got on well with Carrie when they met at an award show a year or so ago.

(On Miranda, I'm less certain - she was once close to the family, and the article leaves out details like the considerable help Rick Lambert gave her in both writing and in leading her early band; the apparently close friendship between Kacey and Miranda's brother Luke; and the joint efforts Miranda and Kacey used to make in sponsoring their pet rescue charity. For whatever reason, those days seem to have receded - which is perhaps no more than a concomitant of their different careers).
    The article's reference to "Mama's Broken Heart", though, could be a little misleading. Kacey did co-write it - but I see it as predominantly a Brandy Clark song, and Brandy often sings it herself. As Brandy and her collaborators played a big part in Kacey's album, I'm sure Kacey could have chosen to include it if she'd been so minded. As it is, she would have earnt considerable royalties as the co-writer.

I'm pretty sure the Big Machine reference is also general, as this is a common expression in the Roots sector, referring to the Mainstream. Jason Isbell, for example, used it in a song a few years ago, without (as far as I know) magazines assuming he must have meant Taylor Swift
    "It's a big machine
    It used to be the avenue of changing dreams
    And she's a lonely thing, sweeping up the glitter
    While she pulls the strings"

Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post
    The Fader is a magazine that specializes in Alternative and Emerging Music - it has a reputation for spotting artists who may (in some cases) become Mainstream and critical sucesses.
    The article on Kacey is well worth reading, and contains detail on her background (I've followed her since the early days of MySpace, though, like most artists, there's been quite a bit of change over the years in both her music and her career focus). One point I'd make about her getting a cover story in The Fader is that it probably illustrates the relative difficulty she's had in getting full suport from the Mainstream Country establishment (her joining the Perry tour, and the work she put into cultivating a UK and European fan base are further examples of how she's needed to find alternative channels - apparently quite successfully)

I would not take much notice of the E! Online take on the article - they are "celebrity" focused, and probably see mileage in trying to capitalize on the widespread fascination with fan rivalry)

The one reference to Carrie in the article was an editorial supposition, not a named quote, and, as others have said, Kacey is speaking generally about the contrast between the often assertive "attitude" based Country, and her own more gentle vocal style, combined with a wry sarcasm that is usually more directed at social observation, rather than personal wrongs. Kacey responded positively to Carrie's comments on marriage equality, and apparently got on well with Carrie when they met at an award show a year or so ago.

(On Miranda, I'm less certain - she was once close to the family, and the article leaves out details like the considerable help Rick Lambert gave her in both writing and in leading her early band; the apparently close friendship between Kacey and Miranda's brother Luke; and the joint efforts Miranda and Kacey used to make in sponsoring their pet rescue charity. For whatever reason, those days seem to have receded - which is perhaps no more than a concomitant of their different careers).
    The article's reference to "Mama's Broken Heart", though, could be a little misleading. Kacey did co-write it - but I see it as predominantly a Brandy Clark song, and Brandy often sings it herself. As Brandy and her collaborators played a big part in Kacey's album, I'm sure Kacey could have chosen to include it if she'd been so minded. As it is, she would have earnt considerable royalties as the co-writer.

I'm pretty sure the Big Machine reference is also general, as this is a common expression in the Roots sector, referring to the Mainstream. Jason Isbell, for example, used it in a song a few years ago, without (as far as I know) magazines assuming he must have meant Taylor Swift
    "It's a big machine
    It used to be the avenue of changing dreams
    And she's a lonely thing, sweeping up the glitter
    While she pulls the strings"
    Thanks as always for your wonderful posts!!!
    Farawayhills likes this.

Concert Stars
    Hmmm I love Kacey- her music really interests me. But I sometimes wish she would not be so controversial or insult quite so many people. haha I see nothing wrong with females being sassy. Not sure where she is going with that to be honest. Not every song has to be mellow. Everyone has a different style. If someone wants to sing or write about burning a house down or smash a car with a baseball bat (in a song- not for real)-- they should be allowed to do so without being judged. Nothing wrong with a little sass now and again. It may not be her style, but many women are inspired by it when they are feeling low/betrayed/dumped.

She made it clear she wants to frown if she loses and not be judged for it. That is kind of a refreshing thing to say to be honest- and I respect her for that. A part of me loves that about her though- she has gumption, which I find to be a breath of fresh air. But she can't seriously expect to be on TV and not be judged for a face she makes after she loses. lol Everyone judges everyone- fairly or not- for how they handle both wins and losses.

But- I hope she is not referring to Carrie in the pageantry angle. I don't think she was referring to Carrie on the Big Machine thing- as Carrie didn't know anyone in the business when she tried out for Idol. That was raw talent.

As Faraway said-=-= Kacey does seem to like Carrie, so hopefully she was not referring to her per se.

Carrie Guru
    I agree with everyone. Kacey wasn't calling anyone out, the mag is just trying to get hits.

Kacey's got some good music but for some reason I have a hard time liking her. I just can't put my finger on it.
    txacar, DizzyDollyDee and terilyn like this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by opry051008 View Post
    I agree with everyone. Kacey wasn't calling anyone out, the mag is just trying to get hits.

Kacey's got some good music but for some reason I have a hard time liking her. I just can't put my finger on it.
    Yep, she needs to not make comparisons (if that is what is going on here) and take Carrie's advice....STAY THE PATH.

If anything she's calling out Miranda and Taylor. "Burning down the cheater's house" is an exact reference to Kerosene. And Big Machine is a reference to Taylor. I like Kacey's music too. But I sometimes feel like she gives of this "too cool for school" attitude which can get a little annoying.

Concert Stars

Same here.
    opry051008, txacar, Curr and 1 others like this.

For me it's just her banging her drum about how "different" she is. It just gets a little old.

Concert Stars
    I guess she's too cool to be relevant! :-(

The only time people really talked about her:

Junior Carrie Follower
    Concert Stars

I really don't know much about her as a person or anything, but I just find her music kind of boring and don't really get the hype over her and her songwriting. But I'm all for more successful females, so I don't know.
    utlovescarrie likes this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by bluetb4 View Post
    Yep, she needs to not make comparisons (if that is what is going on here) and take Carrie's advice....STAY THE PATH.
    "Stay The Path" is a slogan for her fitness line.
    abbeyjones18 likes this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by JB172 View Post
    "Stay The Path" is a slogan for her fitness line.
    Duh, but I bet she uses this motto in all areas of her life. Sheesh.
    terilyn and rainbow1 like this.

•  
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast