• 2 Post By lizcarlo
  • 1 Post By rainbow1
  • 1 Post By lizcarlo
  • 1 Post By Jae

Thread: Saving Country Music's Review of 'Little Toy Guns'

Jae
    Junior Carrie Follower

Saving Country Music's Review of 'Little Toy Guns'

I know some of you don't really like him but I think Trigger has always been very fair to Carrie. He's a traditionalist and a brutal critic of what he feels is wrong with the state of country music. While he's never gotten too jazzed over Carrie's music, he's quick to acknowledge her vocal talent. Having said that, it feels like he's been even more generous to her of late. Anyone else getting that vibe?

Anyway, I like this review; there's a lot I agree with.

Song Review – Carrie Underwood’s “Little Toy Guns” « Saving Country Music

Concert Stars
    its a pretty good review..thanks for posting!

Trigger is not rude about Carrie, especially when you consider how he talks about Bro Country. Obviously some of the people commenting hate her music. I don't care that's fine. I always expect it, and realize not everybody is going to enjoy her music like me. I was surprised at some of the comments. Like saying
    they like her as person and repsect her talent but.....

I like her lyrics, It beats most anything else on the radio, A powerful song for sure — swap out the big-rock production for a more quietly intense approach (like, say, Garth’s “The Thunder Rolls” or Reba’s “Fancy”), and it probably could’ve fit in on early ’90s country radio (in a good way),

For me, though, this one is all about the lyrics & how that sonic safe zone is co-opted for the story. The central metaphor is not a common one and it’s a little bit risky, but it works. In fact, I’ll go one further and say that the inherent sentimentality of the song is offset by the metaphor – sure, it’s talking about toy guns, but there’s an implied contrast with real guns and how they are used to hurt people. I just think this is a really well-crafted song. As dramatic as the production is, I don’t think it overshadows the lyrics, they work well side-by-side.
    I get a little frustrated when Carrie Underwood doesn’t sing countrier sounding songs, because she’s got a country voice. Check that last “oh, like little toy guns” – the cry and the curl in there is all country. I also prefer songs where she sings more subtly. But if she has to go for the big numbers, I want her to do it with lyrics this interesting.

When I first heard this song a couple of months ago I had a similar reaction “it ain’t country but it’s pretty damn good”.
    Side note: I’m tired of seeing Mark Bright produce every song for her. Would love to see what someone else could do with her voice.

Coming from people who are traditionalists and are not her fans that's pretty nice complements.
    rainbow1 and Farawayhills like this.

Concert Stars
    Thanks lizcarlo, I really enjoyed reading all of your thoughts on LTG's!!
    lizcarlo likes this.

Thanks lizcarlo, I really enjoyed reading all of your thoughts on LTG's!!
    Thanks Carrie is one of my favorite artists in music. I really like this song and video so much. Its such a unique idea to use toy gun to express a situation of abuse. Its so creative.

Its nice to see people giving her complements and giving her credit for her talent. He even said at last country award show she was the best performer of he night. Her duet with Willie Nelson was one of his favorites and thought she "killed it". He meant that as complement. He has nice complements for her. He seems to respect her talent even in her more "pop country songs". I wonder what trigger would say if he did review of her more country songs like Wine After Whisky, Someday When I Stop Loving You ect.
    rainbow1 likes this.

Jae
    Junior Carrie Follower
    Quote Originally Posted by lizcarlo View Post
    ... I wonder what trigger would say if he did review of her more country songs like Wine After Whisky, Someday When I Stop Loving You ect.
    Funny you should mention it because I've been meaning to ask him that very question. Maybe I'll get on that. Or you can.
    lizcarlo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jae View Post
    Funny you should mention it because I've been meaning to ask him that very question. Maybe I'll get on that. Or you can.
    I don't know if he will or not. I asked for Wine After and Whisky, Someday When I Stop Loving You, What Can I Say, Thank God For Home Towns, Good In Goodbye and Forever Changed.

•