Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: 2014 Grand Ole Opry Year in Review

2014 Grand Ole Opry Year in Review

2014 Grand Ole Opry Year in Review

With 2015 upon us, the Grand Ole Opry enters it's 90th year and I am sure there will be special events to commemorate this historical achievement. But first, it is time to review 2014 at the Opry.

2014 started with 66 Opry members. Two members, Jimmy C Newman and George Hamilton IV, passed away during the year. The Opry inducted one new member as Little Big Town joined the cast. That brings total Opry membership to 65. It should be noted that over the last two years, the Opry has lost four members, as Jack Greene and George Jones passed away the previous year, but has added only two, as in addition to Little Big Town, Old Crow Medicine Show joining the cast in 2013. With the recent passing of Jimmy Dickens, that leaves Opry membership at 64. Currently, there are no rumors of any additions that may be coming to the Opry.

One of the goals of Pete Fisher has been to ask each Opry member to appear 10 times each year. It does not matter if it is a Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday or Saturday as they all count. So who else besides those listed above made it 10 times or more this past year? That list, and their appearance numbers, include:

Jimmy C Newman-25
    Ricky Skaggs-24
    Larry Gatlin-23
    Vince Gill-17
    Del McCoury Band-16
    George Hamilton IV; Jan Howard; Mel Tillis-15
    Lorrie Morgan-14
    Ray Pillow-13
    Charlie Daniels; Craig Morgan; Carrie Underwood-10

That comes out to 25 Opry members who made the minimum 10 Opry appearances this past year, and of those 25, 3 have passed away giving a net number of 22. And, as with those who were on the previous list of making the most Opry appearances, there is cause for concern when looking at the ages of these members. Carrie Underwood, at the age of 31 is the youngest on this list, while the ages of the rest have Ricky Skaggs 60; Larry Gatlin 66; Vince Gill 57; Del McCoury 75; Jan Howard and Mel Tillis 82; Lorrie Morgan 55; Ray Pillow 77; Charlie Daniels 78 and Craig Morgan 50. So of the 25 Opry members who made at least 10 or more appearances this past year, only 1 is under the age of 50!!

Fayfare's Opry Blog: 2014 Grand Ole Opry Year In Review

For the extremes, members with highest and lowest number of appearances:

Top 10:
    1) Jeannie Seely -88
    2) Riders In The Sky-68
    3) Bill Anderson; John Conlee; The Whites-67
    4) Connie Smith-64
    5) Jim Ed Brown-50
    6) Bobby Osborne-47
    7) Jimmy Dickens-39
    8) Jesse McReynolds-37
    9) Jean Shepard-34
    10) Mike Snider-27

Those who made only 1-2 appearances in 2014:

If that isn't enough, there are a number of Opry members who appeared only once or twice during the past year. Those who appeared just once included Loretta Lynn, Reba McEntire and Keith Urban. Those who appeared just two times were Dierks Bentley, Clint Black, Roy Clark, Emmylou Harris, Stonewall Jackson, Hal Ketchum, Alison Krauss, Patty Loveless, Martina McBride, Brad Paisley, Darius Rucker and Blake Shelton.

Concert Stars
    Wow, sheds a brilliant light on things doesn't it? Thank you Carrie for honoring the Opry and your lifelong fans with the minimum 10 appearances. I'm a little bit surprised at Darius Rucker, Brad Paisley, Reba, Martina and Allison. Not surprised in the least with Blake.
    Hil, ethelu, rainbow1 and 2 others like this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    I think its a real shame that the recent inductees haven't attempted to even come close to the requested 10 appearances. They are no more busy than Carrie. I realize that this past year she didn't tour but even years that she's toured heavily she's at least come close to 10 appearances.

And the one who just makes my blood boil, is Mr. BecauseIwonMVOTYandETOTY I get to choose the direction that the country music genre is going in. He's so full of BS!!!!! Since he's become a member he hasn't even come close -- I think he only had 2 last year because in 2013 he didn't appear at all. Yeah, becoming a member really meant alot to him!!!!! A BIG BUNCH OF BS!!!!

Why do the artists accept the invitation if they have no intention of fulfilling the requested appearances????
    Smokyiiis and carrieguy2 like this.

Obsessed Chart Watcher cary78663's Avatar
    Fayfare left out one other name where Pete Fisher missed the boat. That is Keith Urban who has only done a total of 3 shows over the last 2 years.
    Smokyiiis and rainbow1 like this.

Concert Stars
    ^^
    He too lives and plays in the Nashville area between AI seasons. There is just no excuse in my opinion for any of these musicians to NOT fulfill their obligation to one (of not THE) finest institutions in the country music business
    rainbow1, ethelu and DaisyTweets like this.

Insane Carrie Fan carriefan0825's Avatar
    it felt like carrie had more than 10 appearances this year! but yay for our girl! so proud of how she honors her commitment to the opry and how much she loves doing so!

Can someone explain how an artist is chosen to become a member of the Opry?

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by terilyn View Post
    Can someone explain how an artist is chosen to become a member of the Opry?
    you can read about how one becomes a member here - Opry Membership | Grand Ole Opry

doesn't seem like the Opry cares that Keith has basically turned his back on them
    they just uploaded a KU video

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire2004 View Post
    For the extremes, members with highest and lowest number of appearances:

Top 10:
    1) Jeannie Seely -88
    2) Riders In The Sky-68
    3) Bill Anderson; John Conlee; The Whites-67
    4) Connie Smith-64
    5) Jim Ed Brown-50
    6) Bobby Osborne-47
    7) Jimmy Dickens-39
    8) Jesse McReynolds-37
    9) Jean Shepard-34
    10) Mike Snider-27

Those who made only 1-2 appearances in 2014:

I would say that Loretta's health is probably not what it used to be and if she doesn't live in Nashville, she probably doesn't get to the Opry often. Although, she does still do other shows, but a woman has to earn a living, I guess.
    rainbow1 and ethelu like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokyiiis View Post
    ^^
    He too lives and plays in the Nashville area between AI seasons. There is just no excuse in my opinion for any of these musicians to NOT fulfill their obligation to one (of not THE) finest institutions in the country music business
    And the fact is that Keith has less of an excuse than Blake does. As the Voice judges mentor the contestants, Blake has other involvement besides the live shows. All Keith has to do is the live shows. And really Blake and Keith can do what Carrie does, which is doing 2 shows in one night. Obviously both are capable of selling out 2 shows on any given night. So even if they don't do 10 shows during the year, they can get at least a respectable number by playing the Opry 3 or 4 nights during the year.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaisyTweets View Post
    I think its a real shame that the recent inductees haven't attempted to even come close to the requested 10 appearances. They are no more busy than Carrie. I realize that this past year she didn't tour but even years that she's toured heavily she's at least come close to 10 appearances.

And the one who just makes my blood boil, is Mr. BecauseIwonMVOTYandETOTY I get to choose the direction that the country music genre is going in. He's so full of BS!!!!! Since he's become a member he hasn't even come close -- I think he only had 2 last year because in 2013 he didn't appear at all. Yeah, becoming a member really meant alot to him!!!!! A BIG BUNCH OF BS!!!!

Why do the artists accept the invitation if they have no intention of fulfilling the requested appearances????
    They accept it mainly because they see it as a career accolade - a sort of one-off award, that implies recognition. The emotion when they stand in the circle and get accepted into the "family" and the line of tradition is probably genuine - but it's fleeting for most of them. They interpret it as equivalent to something like a Hall of Fame induction - but, it seems, not as an ongoing responsibility.

The Opry management are trying to achieve two things - to maintain the tradition of mixing deep Roots acts with popular entertainment; and attracting a new contemporary audience to maintain the relevance of the tradition. Bringing in a proportion of current chart stars has to be attempted to achieve that goal - but it usually fails to attract more than token appearances. What they're up against is the fact that regular honouring of Opry membership is perceived as having near zero relevance or advantage to a career focused on Music Row, the major labels or the charts.

(However, annoyance directed against the Mainstream stars, such as Shelton, Rucker, Urban or the Flatts, is only part of the story. In fairness, we should also say that many of the Roots members fail to honour the membership responsibility either. For every loyal performer like Del McCoury, you have other Roots stars who are seldom seen there. OCMS are a recent example of younger, contemporary Roots inductees, who've barely appeared since receiving membership recently.)

They certainly need more active members under 50, but the potential pool of membership can be limited by a number of factors - it's mainly attractive to Nashville artists, and, e.g., artists with roots in Texas music may be less interested, partly because of being centered on a different musical ethos and partly because of a lingering anti-Nashville feeling. Some in the Bluegrass community dislike perceived past Opry slights to the "King", Jimmy Martin; "Outlaws" may resent the failure to reinstate Hank Williams.
    In any case, for many, the Opry's strength lies as much in its guest artists as in its members - maybe they should use willingness to appear regularly as a guest as a criterion for offering permanent membership.
    Smokyiiis, rainbow1 and ethelu like this.

sco
    Insane Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by cary78663 View Post
    And the fact is that Keith has less of an excuse than Blake does. As the Voice judges mentor the contestants, Blake has other involvement besides the live shows. All Keith has to do is the live shows. And really Blake and Keith can do what Carrie does, which is doing 2 shows in one night. Obviously both are capable of selling out 2 shows on any given night. So even if they don't do 10 shows during the year, they can get at least a respectable number by playing the Opry 3 or 4 nights during the year.
    I see your point but the reality is that there is not really an excuse for any of them. There is always time for what they choose to make a priority. Carrie is pretty much the only current A lister who chooses to make the Opry a priority. I have more respect for artists like Miranda who are not members than those who accept membership with clearly absolutely no intent to make any effort to live up to their commitment.
    ethelu likes this.

Concert Stars
    it seriously does feel like she was there more than 10 times! but awesome for our girl!

Quote Originally Posted by kewlie78189 View Post
    it seriously does feel like she was there more than 10 times! but awesome for our girl!
    Maybe it is because of the Opry show during CRS, which isn't included in this count as it was not part of the regular Opry schedule.
    Hil and rainbow1 like this.

What are some of these people going to do ten or twenty years from now for the Opry. Not go at all? I know this sounds harsh. I know Keith and Blake have their singing compettaion shows. If the shows are getting in the way so much that its impossible for them to do more than two ,I guess they dont think Opry is as important as thoes shows. There are some people i'm sure that would deserve to be in Opry, that would appreciate it, and try their best to do as many as they can. Its every country artists dreams to have a membership. Darius Rucker only doing two is very bad and lazy. He was inducted in 2012. Its really not that long ago. He is new membor that should work hard to show he deserves to be membor of Opry. It seems like they dont realize its a privlidge and a high honor, or maybe they do and dont care.

Carrie at least tries to do any many as she can even when touring, going to festivals and other kind of events she is envited to in country and other genres. She is good at balancing her career out and knowing whats more important like Opry memborship.

Concert Stars
    Keith and Blake probably do consider their shows more important than the Opry.....because they can make bundles of money! Not saying it's right, just being realistic. Maybe they figure that once their shows are over, they will have more time to donate to the Opry? I read that Blake is going to host SNL soon....so his career is probably at it's peak now and he is going to take advantage of it. Keith does a lot of other things. He hosted that big charity show that Carrie was on not long ago.

Still wish they could find time for the Opry....but, just sayin'...

Quote Originally Posted by rainbow1 View Post
    Keith and Blake probably do consider their shows more important than the Opry.....because they can make bundles of money! Not saying it's right, just being realistic. Maybe they figure that once their shows are over, they will have more time to donate to the Opry? I read that Blake is going to host SNL soon....so his career is probably at it's peak now and he is going to take advantage of it. Keith does a lot of other things. He hosted that big charity show that Carrie was on not long ago.

Still wish they could find time for the Opry....but, just sayin'...
    Well as Bill Anderson said when introducing Carrie a couple of weeks ago, Carrie chose to be at the Opry that Saturday night when she could have performed in any city in the world and make a lot more money. And I seriously doubt that spending a few nights at the Opry during the year will have any impact on Blake or Keith's participation on their respective shows or amount of money they make from those shows. So I don't buy that excuse.
    Hil likes this.

Concert Stars
    Out of curiosity has the Opry ever kicked out a member?

Quote Originally Posted by Smokyiiis View Post
    Out of curiosity has the Opry ever kicked out a member?
    The only recent case was Holly Dunn, who lost her membership in 2010 because she had walk away from her singing career and was not performing anymore. But in 1964, 11 artist lost their membership. They were George Morgan, Don Gibson, Billy Grammer, Johnny Wright, Kitty Wells, the Jordanaires, Faron Young, Ferlin Husky, Justin Tubb, Stonewall Jackson, and Ray Price. Note that at this time, there was a requirement to do 26 shows during the year. Also George Morgan, Don Gibson, Billy Grammer, Justin Tubb and Stonewall Jackson got their membership back after later meeting that requirement.

•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast