• 10 Post By Claire2004
  • 5 Post By Farawayhills

Thread: Country Universe: The Best Singles of 2014

Country Universe: The Best Singles of 2014

The Best Singles of 2014

“Something in the Water”
    Carrie Underwood
    KJC #4 | TS #7 | LW #18

Serving as the perfect coda to her first decade as a country superstar, Underwood returns to the spiritual themes of her first country hit, “Jesus, Take the Wheel.” By looking backward, she also demonstrates just how much she’s grown as an artist, co-writing a powerful tale of rebirth through baptism that she sings the fire out of. – KJC
    The Best Singles of 2014, Part 2: #20-#1 | Country Universe

Concert Stars
    If it's the 9th best single of the entire year, surely it'll reach the number one spot shortly.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Interestingly, only one single was placed in the top 40 picks by four of the writers - Lee Ann Womack's "The Way I'm Livin". That would no get complaints from me - I think it's an object lesson in how to combine a traditionally rooted song with forward looking and varied music, and to construct a Country Music performance in which the importance of the vocal and musical elements are each given appropriate weight. But as that song was (presumably) not primarily targetted at the charts, it's both difficult and arguably unfair to compare it with releases that have to take more direct account of wider market conditions.

In a stylistically pretty wide ranging two page listing, though, "Something In The Water" was one of only 13 songs among the top 40 picks that was chosen by three of the contributing writers - which shows that it was getting recognition across a range of tastes. (Kevin Coyne, the site's owner, placed it at #4, and the #9 ranking resulted from averaging the contributors' picks)

I would have placed it higher - certainly, for example, above "Meanwhile, Back At Mama's" or "Drunk On A 'Plane", and I think it's among Carrie's best five or six career singles so far. Thematically, it would be placed among Carrie's "inspirational" songs (which - along with "wronged woman" songs - can be considered one of her two most characteristic song themes). But I think there are significant differences. After her two early spiritual songs, JTTW and DFTRM, which were more Country rooted, the others in this category (including the ones she co-wrote herself) all showed considerable stylistic influence from "Contemporary Christian" Pop Music - leading some listeners to regard them as among her least clearly Country Music-founded songs. I would argue, though, that SITW is significantly more varied, and incorporates important elements of stylistic blending. The Contemporary influence is most noticeable in the "changed" parts of the song, while the more "troubled" verses are handled in a more distinctively punchy phrasing, and a gritty Country style, which retains Honky Tonk vocal influence. Combined with some instrumental support from, for example, banjo and steel, this makes a more interesting song. The music, I feel, is still an area where Carrie and her producers could benefit from avoiding so much emphasis on an overall loud and blanket effect and bring out more variety and individual instrumental texture. But SITW is still a stylistically hybrid song, which contains both roots and innovative influences, and blends them in a way that shows considerable confidence and growth in Carrie's command of her gifts. I think it provides both a fitting climax to the first decade, and a strong lead-in to the new work to come.

Concert Stars
    so cool..hope it gets to number 1 soon!!

Concert Stars
    Can't seem to stream Carrie's SITW video - it's been saying an error occurred all day -

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by judes View Post
    Can't seem to stream Carrie's SITW video - it's been saying an error occurred all day -
    Judes~ I'm not having any problems streaming the Vevo video.

•