• 3 Post By jptexas
  • 4 Post By bluetb4
  • 1 Post By rainbow1
  • 4 Post By hjj
  • 2 Post By Farawayhills

Thread: Equal Time – The Best in Mainstream Country Music in 2014

Junior Carrie Follower northtexas's Avatar

Equal Time – The Best in Mainstream Country Music in 2014

From Saving Country Music: Equal Time ? The Best in Mainstream Country Music in 2014 « Saving Country Music

Best Song – Carrie Underwood’s “Something In The Water”
    “A wide, sweeping undertaking, ‘Something In The Water’ sees Carrie Underwood carve out the sweet spot for her voice and make an inspiring and faith-based composition the vessel to illustrate the mighty ferocity of her God-given vocal prowess, along with instilling the moments with an elegance and grace that in unison swell to achieve one awe-inspiring performance height.“’Something In The Water’ is purely pop country from a stylistic standpoint, but draws heavily from country’s Gospel roots and the ritual of river baptisms to create the compelling narrative at the song’s heart. Though the “something in the water” colloquialism is not wholly unique in this context, the content is nonetheless refreshing in the way it disregards all concern for trends or tropes and instead shows confidence in Carrie’s voice to carry a tune to the top levels of widespread appeal. Resolving with the verses of “Amazing Grace” intermixed with the song’s melody, ‘Something In The Water’ traces a lineage directly back to the very primitive beginnings of country music, intertwining old roots among the song’s otherwise pristine and nouveau passages.”
    Very, very powerful

Carrie Follower
    Amen !!
    txacar and rainbow1 like this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    I think Trig got that revriew pretty well spot on.

In my opinion, SITW is one of Carrie's most Roots-inspired and most Country founded singles. That was apparent even on the album track, and I felt it was confirmed strongly in her Opry performance the other day. The prevailing point, for me, is not that she uses Pop influence (as do virtually all contemporary Mainstream singers), or that she shows a tendency to favour power vocals - but rather that she uses these features within the overall context of the song. Her phrasing and intonation is strongly Country, most notably in the longish intro and verse development, and the unfolding of the song makes a number of references to classic Country . Country Music (particularly solo vocal Country Music) is - and in my view, always should be - a song-dominated genre, not a predominantly "voice" medium, or a showcase for the singer. Carrie, for me, is one of the greats, in that her best work takes note of that ethos, and she allows the song to have its full development, adapting her vocal range to its different moods and thematic contexts. SITW is an excellent example of an unfolding mood song.

The Triggerman also seems to have spotted those qualities, in picking this as his "Best" Mainstream song (The downside is, perhaps, that other critics might not be so perceptive, and might go for an "either-or" approach, expecting Carrie, on the one hand, to be solely focused on the soaring "General Music" voice, and finding her narration of the troubled parts of the song too raw-edged and punchy for "power ballad" preferences - or on the other hand, preferring a "purist's" focus on Down Home Roots styling, with the more General Music-focused elements seen as jarring and over-played. In my view, this "either-or" approach is misguided - especially in evaluating an artist like Carrie - but it has often resulted in her being seen as falling between two stools, and may do so again).

But this, in my opinion, is her most inspired "Inspirational" song since DFTRM, and one of her best radio singles ever. (DFTRM owed a lot to Morgane Hayes Stapleton - whom I hope Carrie will work with again some day - but SITW has the added strength of being a very personal song for Carrie herself, and a milestone in her writing)

Concert Stars
    I think the SITW vocal will win the Grammy.
    PRGuy79, tgbrinker, txacar and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jptexas View Post
    I think the SITW vocal will win the Grammy.
    And obviously it SHOULD.

Insane Carrie Fan Carrieroxmysox2011's Avatar
    Carrie will definitely win IMO.
    jaks_weyn and txacar like this.

is there any other song nominated in best country song and best vocal performance at the same time? isnt those nominated in both category always win both together? or that winning both only happen to carrie?

^^This year Lee Brice (I Drive Your Truck), Blake Shelton (Mine Would Be You) and Miranda Lambert (Mama's Broken Heart) got noms for Country Solo and the mentioned singles for Country Song. However Darius Rucker won the Solo (his song Wagon Wheel was not nominated), while Merry Go Round (Kacey Musgraves was not nominated for Solo) won for Song.
    Pi314CA likes this.

Concert Stars
    I love that people are responding so well to SITW. I certainly hope it does well. I personally think it could have received a nom for Country Song, but I will take performance. Its hard to argue Carries vocal ability away!

Concert Stars
    I think Carrie is HEADS ABOVE her competition in this category!

Concert Stars
    of course! this song deserves it! so amazing!!
    txacar and CrazyAboutCarrie like this.

Concert Stars
    Great review! SITW just keeps getting better and better with time, in my opinion. I loved the song the first time I heard it, but I keep hearing new, rich sounds and textures each time I hear it 3 months into the chart run. It sounds SO GREAT on radio, and now with the Greatest Hits CD in the car, I crank it up and sing along. Love, love, love it.
    rainbow1, Gator, bluetb4 and 4 others like this.

Carrie Guru
    I really hope Carrie wins a Grammy for this one because she really deserves it again this year as she did with BA. I know we all vent our frustration with the country awards politics but when it comes down to it "6 (and hopefully soon to be 8) time grammy winner" is all that really matters to the general public.

Regarding SITW, imao, the pop influence in the song really adds to the power of the message and the vocal delivery.
    nccountrygal, Gator and rainbow1 like this.

That's a great complement from him even though he is never mean to her, especially when you see how he goes into Bro Country men.

Concert Stars
    SITW= Grammy lucky #7
    bluetb4, rainbow1 and Gator like this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by pklongbeach View Post
    I love that people are responding so well to SITW. I certainly hope it does well. I personally think it could have received a nom for Country Song, but I will take performance. Its hard to argue Carries vocal ability away!
    While I agree with everything you said here, part of me is boiling on the back burner. It just really bugs me that SITW did not get nominated for Country Song.
    SITW is meaningful and extremely well written and I can't think of ANY other song on that list that exceeds it. It is almost like they were thinking, "we can't put
    this song in the Country Song category because Carrie is a vocalist, NOT a writer." I guess I am mystified as to how they could have left SITW off this list. Such a shame.
    Last edited by bluetb4; 12-21-2014 at 11:09 PM.

Concert Stars
    Amen to that!!!
    bluetb4 likes this.

hjj
    Insane Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    I wonder if it had came out earlier if it would have made a difference in the song category. Hopefully she will get the grammy for performance solo.
    ethelu, rainbow1, rainbow1 and 1 others like this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bluetb4 View Post
    While I agree with everything you said here, part of me is boiling on the back burner. It just really bugs me that SITW did not get nominated for Country Song.
    SITW is meaningful and extremely well written and I can't think of ANY other song on that list that exceeds it. It is almost like they were thinking, "we can't put
    this song in the Country Song category because Carrie is a vocalist, NOT a writer." I guess I am mystified as to how they could have left SITW off this list. Such a shame.
    Almost all the Country Song wins have been for collaborative writing. I think some voters in this field may be less familiar with Chris DeStefano's music (for example, he was described critically in a major review of Miranda's album as an "American Idol stalwart").
    However, I don't think the involvement of Carrie herself would be seen as a negative factor. The leading recent winner in this category has been Josh Kear - who's won a virtually unprecedented three times in the past decade (for "Blown Away", "Need You Now" and "Before He Cheats") Two of those wins were with Chris Thompkins - and if Carrie wrote with those two in future, I think her chances would be high. Also, she could consider digging a bit more deeply into the genre in her choice of co-writers. (Her leaked co-write with Jon Randall and Bill Anderson, for example, had winner written all over it)
    bluetb4 and rainbow1 like this.

•