Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: The Women in Country Music Problem Isnít Getting Better - What Needs to Change?

  1. #1
    Ultimate Carrie Fan
    Pi314CA's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    7,897

    The Women in Country Music Problem Isnít Getting Better - What Needs to Change?

    The Women in Country Music Problem Isn’t Getting Better – What Needs to Change?

    By Billy Dukes
    Nov 20, 2014

    Last month, Miranda Lambert’s ‘Somethin’ Bad’ quietly fell from the radio airplay charts, peaking just inside the Top 10. The powerhouse duet with Carrie Underwood was as close to a sure thing as you’ll find in country music, yet it somehow failed to break country’s two-year drought.

    Yes, two years – that’s how long it’s been since a female solo artist topped the Billboard Country Airplay chart. Underwood’s ‘Blown Away’ was last to do it (Nov. 3, 2012), and she may be next, as ‘Something in the Water’ is rocketing up the charts (No. 12 on the Nov. 29 chart). The same was said of Lambert’s bad-girl anthem, however, and her first single from ‘Platinum.’

    *Note: ‘Automatic’ did hit No. 1 on the Mediabase chart (explained further here) but ToC’s initial research (watch below) was based on the Billboard chart. Lambert’s song peaked at No. 3 on Billboard.

    As for other female solo artists who’ve released new music in the 2014 calendar year …:

    Jamie Lynn Spears, ‘How Could I Want More’ (peaked at No. 55)
    Lucy Hale, ‘You Sound Good to Me’ (peaked at No. 47)
    Kelleigh Bannen, ‘Famous’ (peaked at No. 49)
    Jennifer Nettles, ‘Me Without You’ (peaked at No. 50)
    Maggie Rose, ‘Looking Back Now’ (peaked at No. 46)
    Kellie Pickler, ‘Closer to Nowhere’ (peaked at No. 59)
    Kacey Musgraves, ‘Keep It to Yourself’ (peaked at No. 32)
    Cassadee Pope, ‘I Wish I Could Break Your Heart’ (peaked at No. 32)
    Danielle Bradbery, ‘Young in America’ (peaked at No. 49)
    Leah Turner, ‘Pull Me Back’ (peaked at No. 52)
    Jana Kramer, ‘Love’ (currently at No. 34)
    RaeLynn, ‘God Made Girls’ (currently at No. 21)
    Lindsey Ell, ‘Shut Me Up’ (currently at No. 51)
    Kelsea Ballerini, ‘Love Me Like You Mean It’ (currently at No. 47)
    Trisha Yearwood (Feat. Kelly Clarkson), ‘PrizeFighter’ (peaked at No. 44)

    That’s not all of them, but it’s most, and none of the rest (songs by Kira Isabella, Gwen Sebastian) have charted higher. A short recap: only one female artist that has released a song this year — Lambert and Underwood being the exceptions — has cracked the Top 30.

    The Top 30?!

    This excludes Maddie & Tae, as they’re technically a duo. But if you want to include them, then two other artists have cracked the Top 30; ‘Girl in a Country Song’ is currently No. 5 and rising. Their deserved success hardly waters down the point. Even established hitmakers like Sara Evans are struggling. Evans has released two singles from ‘Slow Me Down’ this year — the first was ‘Can’t Stop Loving You,’ and it never charted. The other is ‘Put My Heart Down.’ After one, month it’s finally cracked the Top 60.

    ...

    Read More: The Women in Country Music Problem Isn't Getting Better
    Last edited by Pi314CA; 11-20-2014 at 10:33 PM.

  • #2
    Carrie Guru Jade_kt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    21,347
    Concert Stars
    I have to be honest but I wasn't a big fan of "Something Bad" especially lyrically. Much prefer Carrie's own songs and liked SITW better.

  • #3
    sco
    sco is offline
    Insane Carrie Fan
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    3,128
    I blame the audience in part but country radio bears a very large part of the responsibility. Somethjng Bad isn't my favorite song but judging by its sales and callout scores it should have been a sure thing. It just really doesn't make sense why it wasnt played more especially given the woeful dearth of women on the radio. I saw a tweet today that there is a sum total of two, count them two, women in the top 30. That is just so wrong. I blame the bro country trend but even that doesn't explain it. There really is no explanation other than blatant sexism. Radio programmers should be ashamed but they don't care. Maybe if they actually get to the point where there is literally one one woman on the radio when Carrie takes maternity leave somebody will take notice but I doubt it.
    pklongbeach, ethelu and teesharky like this.

  • #4
    Carrie Guru rainbow1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    15,375
    Concert Stars
    Thanks Pi, I read that on Twitter. I tweeted them that it was a great article and now, if my Taste of Country station here in Okla , would play Carrie's new song, it would be even better. Told them that I hear Miranda once in a while, but they are indeed, a Bro Country station.

    Maybe that's what we need to do. Call them out by name on twitter. I named the station
    Gator, opry051008, Pi314CA and 3 others like this.

  • #5
    Carrie Guru Jade_kt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    21,347
    Concert Stars
    Well when none of the females do well you would think they would want to play a bunch of random females and see if any of them got traction. Surely they could find one that people enjoy. But I guess it's just safer to stick w/ the guys.

  • #6
    sco
    sco is offline
    Insane Carrie Fan
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    3,128
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbow1 View Post
    Thanks Pi, I read that on Twitter. I tweeted them that it was a great article and now, if my Taste of Country station here in Okla , would play Carrie's new song, it would be even better. Told them that I hear Miranda once in a while, but they are indeed, a Bro Country station.

    Maybe that's what we need to do. Call them out by name on twitter. I named the station
    Actually what we need to do is write the program directors and if nothing changes turn them off. The only thing radio cares about is ratings.
    Smokyiiis, txacar, ethelu and 2 others like this.

  • #7
    Insane Carrie Fan liz278's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    5,383
    Concert Stars
    I have basically turned off country radio. We just need more people to turn it off.

  • #8
    Insane Carrie Fan Gator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    4,105
    Concert Stars
    I just have to question whether our culture has degraded so much that it evolves around partying and drinking to the point that objectifying women is okay? What happened to country programming that prided itself on "story songs", love of god, friends and family? Carrie (and others) are putting it out there, but it doesn't help if radio is not playing the songs the country genre was built on. So sad...

  • #9
    Carrie Guru rainbow1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    15,375
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by sco View Post
    Actually what we need to do is write the program directors and if nothing changes turn them off. The only thing radio cares about is ratings.
    I sent an email to the Program Director about a month or so ago. Never heard back from him!
    txacar, opry051008 and ethelu like this.

  • #10
    Ultimate Carrie Fan
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    8,448
    Another sad point is if Carrie (or any other female artist) is actually getting decent air-play.....they have to work 10 times harder for it. Makes me sick.

    There is no reason whatsoever that "Something Bad" should not have been a #1 song. It is no worse than the rest of the bro-country crap being played.

    The same thing is happening on the charts RIGHT NOW!! Carrie's SITW should be well into the top 10. She is ALWAYS having to wait for one of the guys
    to get their #1 first...even when her sales, call-outs, and popularity are off the charts. Carrie getting a #1 will not be a cake walk...that luxury is only given to the men.

  • #11
    Carrie Fans Legend teesharky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Saratoga NY
    Posts
    76,771
    Concert Stars
    And even now-
    carrie's own label is holding back SITW to help Brad and Kenny. They should just let it pass them and worry about Brad/Kenny later. Unreal.
    rainbow1, pklongbeach and bluetb4 like this.

  • #12
    Ultimate Carrie Fan Smokyiiis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Hill Country, Texas
    Posts
    6,508
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by sco View Post
    Actually what we need to do is write the program directors and if nothing changes turn them off. The only thing radio cares about is ratings.
    My sentiments exactly. They are there for ratings only. When the ratings fail because they don't play country women, then they fail. They will start playing country women again. We, the public need to shut em down.

  • #13
    Carrie Guru
    maddkat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    23,841
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by sco View Post
    I blame the audience in part but country radio bears a very large part of the responsibility. Somethjng Bad isn't my favorite song but judging by its sales and callout scores it should have been a sure thing. It just really doesn't make sense why it wasnt played more especially given the woeful dearth of women on the radio. I saw a tweet today that there is a sum total of two, count them two, women in the top 30. That is just so wrong. I blame the bro country trend but even that doesn't explain it. There really is no explanation other than blatant sexism. Radio programmers should be ashamed but they don't care. Maybe if they actually get to the point where there is literally one one woman on the radio when Carrie takes maternity leave somebody will take notice but I doubt it.
    I blame mostly radio. imo the vast majority of the audience are like sheep , they'll go wherever you guide them.If radio started playing women a lot the audience would jump on board. But no, radio is actively not playing women and for the life of me I can not understand why.

    I also don't think Carrie's maternity leave isn't gonna keep her off radio for more then 2-3 months.If we're getting a new cd in the fall they'll most likely be getting a lead single out in July/August.But thats beside the point of this thread.Just thought I throw it out there.
    Last edited by maddkat; 11-21-2014 at 09:04 AM.

  • #14
    Carrie Guru pklongbeach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Long Beach, California
    Posts
    18,901
    Concert Stars
    This is not about the audience. IT is ridiculous to thing that people will turn off their radios if more women are played. Its also not abut money. As you can not tell me that the top 30 Men are all raking in the money for the labels. Not!
    Fact is simple as Maddkat pointed out, if radio played women more, more womens product would be sold. Period!
    rainbow1, ethelu and maddkat like this.

  • #15
    Carrie Fans Maniac kewlie78189's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    26,142
    Concert Stars
    the whole situation just sucks! not sure what has to happen before it will get better!

  • #16
    Insane Carrie Fan
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    3,145
    Quote Originally Posted by kewlie78189 View Post
    the whole situation just sucks! not sure what has to happen before it will get better!
    Do radio stations still pay attention to listener requests? I know the label has control over how much SITW gets played, but would country radio play more female artists if listeners requested it?

    BTW, they played SITW when I was coming home from getting breakfast tacos this morning. I had to sit in the driveway and wait for the song to finish before I could get out of the car. It was so awesome to hear it.

    Before I forget, yesterday on the CBS Evening News, there was a story by one reporter about his two little boys listening to country music on the radio and keeping track of how often the words "drunk", "partying", "buzz", etc. were sung in country music songs. They actually had made a chart of the different words. The boys looked to be about 5 and 6 years old, maybe 6 and 7. The dad took the boys and went to visit Kix Brooks to ask him why there were so many songs about drinking in country music. Kix was having a really hard time explaining it to the boys. Kix never did come up with a good answer. Finally, he told the dad that it was a good opportunity for the dad to have a discussion with his boys about drinking. The boys are 5 and 6! Unbelievable!
    txacar and pklongbeach like this.

  • #17
    Ultimate Carrie Fan txacar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    7,878
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by ethelu View Post
    Do radio stations still pay attention to listener requests? I know the label has control over how much SITW gets played, but would country radio play more female artists if listeners requested it?

    BTW, they played SITW when I was coming home from getting breakfast tacos this morning. I had to sit in the driveway and wait for the song to finish before I could get out of the car. It was so awesome to hear it.

    Before I forget, yesterday on the CBS Evening News, there was a story by one reporter about his two little boys listening to country music on the radio and keeping track of how often the words "drunk", "partying", "buzz", etc. were sung in country music songs. They actually had made a chart of the different words. The boys looked to be about 5 and 6 years old, maybe 6 and 7. The dad took the boys and went to visit Kix Brooks to ask him why there were so many songs about drinking in country music. Kix was having a really hard time explaining it to the boys. Kix never did come up with a good answer. Finally, he told the dad that it was a good opportunity for the dad to have a discussion with his boys about drinking. The boys are 5 and 6! Unbelievable!
    Many of them do. The stations on the radio e-quest thread take your request and email address, then alert you when the song is going to be played (usually within a couple of hours). Soooooo, please don't hesitate to request on the mediabase thread, or vote/e-quest on the radio thread.
    Suellen and ethelu like this.

  • #18
    Insane Carrie Fan
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    3,145
    Quote Originally Posted by txacar View Post
    Many of them do. The stations on the radio e-quest thread take your request and email address, then alert you when the song is going to be played (usually within a couple of hours). Soooooo, please don't hesitate to request on the mediabase thread, or vote/e-quest on the radio thread.
    Thank you! Of course I'll request Carrie, but I'm going to request other female artists, too. It would take a massive number of listeners to make any real change, but every little bit helps. If other listeners hear the songs, they might request them, too. I imagine that tweeting the radio station once in a while when they play female artists might help, too.

  • #19
    Ultimate Carrie Fan txacar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    7,878
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by ethelu View Post
    Thank you! Of course I'll request Carrie, but I'm going to request other female artists, too. It would take a massive number of listeners to make any real change, but every little bit helps. If other listeners hear the songs, they might request them, too. I imagine that tweeting the radio station once in a while when they play female artists might help, too.
    Right. I also send a "thank you" email to the DJ after they have alerted and played the song.
    ethelu likes this.

  • #20
    Insane Carrie Fan CarrieAddicted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Gotham
    Posts
    3,272
    Concert Stars
    Carrie is the only woman in country music history to get a real full support from radio.

    All of her own singles have been Top 2 on the Billboard airplay charts.

    She has had 17 solo singles promoted to radio (excluding SITW, which is still climbing).
    12 of which topped the Billboard Country Airplay chart, 5 climbed to #2.

    NO WOMAN has ever achieved that.

    By 2010, she was already the only woman to score 11 consecutive Top 2 hits.

    In 2010, Country Universe made a historical research about woman on country radio:
    Carrie Underwood and Female Country Artists: A Historical Perspective | Country Universe

    It is really sad.
    ethelu likes this.


  •  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. The state of women in country music
      By CALEBJOE in forum Music
      Replies: 114
      Last Post: 06-16-2014, 02:45 PM
    2. Replies: 42
      Last Post: 06-05-2012, 11:35 AM
    3. VH1 Honors Women Who Rock: 100 Greatest Women in Music- on 2-13-12
      By teesharky in forum Carrie Underwood Chat
      Replies: 11
      Last Post: 01-18-2012, 11:04 AM
    4. CBSí ĎGirlsí Night Outí Special Honors The Women Of Country Music
      By cary78663 in forum Carrie Underwood Times
      Replies: 3
      Last Post: 05-01-2011, 10:23 AM
    5. Replies: 26
      Last Post: 02-25-2011, 01:44 PM

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •