Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree207Likes

Thread: Blake Shelton: AI Not Responsible for Producing Superstars (Carrie mention)

Blake Shelton: AI Not Responsible for Producing Superstars (Carrie mention)

Blake Shelton: American Idol Not Responsible for Producing Superstars

All 4 The Voice coaches sat down last night with BuzzFeed before the performance episode for a live stream chat. When the group was asked the inevitable question about the show failing to produce a Kelly Clarkson/Carrie Underwood level superstar, Blake Shelton had an interesting answer:

“I think mostly because people like that are one in a million,” Shelton told BuzzFeed News. “The odds of American Idol having done that are astronomical. I don’t think it’s … because of that show — it was just luck of the draw that those two girls came strolling through those auditions. If it was just the result of a show, then there would be 30 superstars right now that have come out of all these shows. But it’s not. It’s just people, whether it’s on one of these shows, or YouTube, or somebody who got a record deal and got on the radio. You never know where they’re going to come from, and it just so happens that they had a couple.”

Blake Shelton American Idol Not Responsible for Kelly Clarkson

Video of of the interview here:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/emilyorley/w...oduced-a-kelly

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    he's an idiot
    Claire2004, liz278, Gator and 12 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by maddkat View Post
    he's an idiot
    I was about to post my reaction to what he said, but yours is more concise. And so accurate. Lol
    liz278, Gator, maddkat and 4 others like this.

Concert Stars
    lol talk about a deflection of the truth: The Voice hasn't produced a single "star" much less a superstar or Carrie or Kelly's stature. lol

Lets see idol has Carrie Underwood
    X Factor UK has 1 direction
    Nashville Star has Miranda Lambert
    and who does the voice have....
    teesharky, rainbow1 and mtreasmith like this.

Sour grapes. The Voice can boast about how they are the "cooler" "sleeker" show, but the fact is that it hasn't produced a single star. Adam Levine at least admitted to that earlier this year.

Also, is he forgetting about Jennifer Hudson who won an Academy Award?
    rainbow1 and Smokyiiis like this.

I honestly don't understand why people keep going to the voice auditions! lol

American Idol is so much better with the winner after the show ends.
    teesharky and rainbow1 like this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Phillip Phillips is a bigger star than anyone The Voice has ever produced and he isn't even in Top 5 of people AI has produced.
    Last edited by JB172; 11-18-2014 at 08:50 PM.

sco
    Insane Carrie Fan
    I actually understand a little bit of Blake's point although he isn't giving Idol enough credit or accepting the shortcomings of his own show. Idol did not make Carrie or Kelly great, they truly are one in a million, but Idol certainly gave them the exposure to let their greatness shine. As for The Voice, I've read the argument that the reason they haven't produced a star is because they are more focused on the coaches than the singers, which is I think a valid point.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    We don't even know Carrie without Idol. She was done chasing her music dream, and Idol was her last try before starting a career in journalism. People say Carrie would've made it without idol because her voice was so good, but Carrie doesn't make it if she gives up on the dream which she almost did.

There's just so many that have found success post idol. Jennifer, Fantasia, Kat McPhee, heck even skeevy Constantine has a Tony nomination.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    In my honest opinion, I don't think these shows do make people a star. They're a means to an end - they can give people a kick start to a national Mainstream career - which sometimes has lasting success, and often doesn't.

But it's what they do afterwards that determines whether they're going to be thought of as a star.
    teesharky likes this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post
    In my honest opinion, I don't think these shows do make people a star. They're a means to an end - they can give people a kick start to a national Mainstream career - which sometimes has lasting success, and often doesn't.

But it's what they do afterwards that determines whether they're going to be thought of as a star.
    Well of course

none the less Idol had the auditions those ladies strolled into and without Idol we would not be posting on a Carrie Underwood Fans website right now. They deserve some credit.Blake doesn't seem to want to give them any.

Carrie Fans Legend countryfan2006's Avatar
    I wish Blake Shelton would shut up for once because this isn't the first time that Blake had to mention Carrie in the same sentence (remember back in 2007-ish where Blake had to say that Carrie don't like Country Music and Carrie went on the Grammy's after she won Best New Artist and proudly said She Loves Country Music..

Obsessed Chart Watcher cary78663's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post

I agree with this somewhat. Carrie got her start because of Idol. She has been around for 10 years because of her talent and a lot of hard work. But there is one thing both Kelly and Carrie got out of winning Idol and that was being managed by Simon Fuller. For Carrie, having Simon Fuller and Ann Edelblute for management gave her opportunities that present day talent show contestants don't have.
    fan7, liz278, rainbow1 and 5 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by maddkat View Post
    Well of course

none the less Idol had the auditions those ladies strolled into and without Idol we would not be posting on a Carrie Underwood Fans website right now. They deserve some credit.Blake doesn't seem to want to give them any.
    It's because he's jealous that's why he don't care about anyone but himself. I agree we all wouldn't be here if Carrie didn't go onto Idol and win and be 2-time Entertainer of the year and Grand Ole Opry member and have millions of records sold and countless hits one after an another...So i think Blake needs to watch what he says cause its going to come back and hunt you. Once someone pushes my buttons, i won't stop saying what i think.

Carrie Underwood is here because us fans care so much about her.
    Kelly Clarkson is here because her fans care so much about her too.

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    Of course he has to knock the one show that has discovered true superstars because his schtick and his show are wearing thin now. The public is growing tired of both shows but at the end of the day Idol has given the music world true superstar talent. The Voice not so much!
    carrieguy2 likes this.

American Idol was "too" responsible for Carrie's and Kelly's career in the music business and if it wasn't for Idol, we would never ever got a chance of hearing Carrie and Kelly.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by countryfan2006 View Post
    I wish Blake Shelton would shut up for once because this isn't the first time that Blake had to mention Carrie in the same sentence (remember back in 2007-ish where Blake had to say that Carrie don't like Country Music and Carrie went on the Grammy's after she won Best New Artist and proudly said She Loves Country Music..
    confused. When did Blake say Carrie doesn't like country music? I must have missed that or I am having a blonde moment. lol tx.

Carrie and Kelly are American Idols most prominent stars in the music industry. Jennifer Hudson has obviously reached a high pinnacle with her Academy Award and her subsequent acting career. Even other Idol stars that have had moderate success like Jordin Sparks, Adam Lambert, David Cook and Katherine McPhee are more known than anyone that has come off of The Voice. His comment was more on AI than Carrie or Kelly. He was basically implying that if they had auditioned for any singing competition (The Voice, X Factor) they would have the same successful careers that they have now. I think Blake also takes exception when people always point out that The Voice has not produced any super starts because the majority of the winners have come from his teams.
    rainbow1 likes this.

•  
    Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast