• 1 Post By kewlie78189

Thread: Carrie Underwood's Songwriting Is "Just Effortless"

Obsessed Chart Watcher cary78663's Avatar

Carrie Underwood's Songwriting Is "Just Effortless"

CMT : News : Carrie Underwood's Songwriting Is "Just Effortless"

Carrie Underwood's Songwriting Is "Just Effortless"
    Songwriter Chris DeStefano Sings Her Praises
    October 28, 2014; Written by Alison Bonaguro

Just when you think you know a guy. From listening to four minutes of Carrie Underwood's new "Something in the Water," then talking with Chris DeStefano for about a half-hour, I thought I knew this songwriter pretty well.

But he's not all songwriting cabins and Christian country.

If you look back at DeStefano's writing credits, it kind of reads like one of the most diverse playlists you've ever seen. He can be the songwriter who the traditionalists love to hate, for helping pen lighthearted party tunes like Jason Aldean's new one "Just Gettin' Started," Chase Rice's "Ready Set Roll," Chris Young's "Aw Naw" and Luke Bryan's "That's My Kind of Night."

Then he can do the girl-you're-awesome songs, like Brett Eldredge's "Don't Ya," Rascal Flatts' "Rewind" and Billy Currington's "Hey Girl."

But put DeStefano in a room with Underwood, and something really special happens.

"Ever since 2011, when we first wrote together, she's always been a great songwriter," he told me about how her talent has always been there. "It's just effortless with Carrie. We're always on the same page musically and energetically. We love the same things, so we gravitate toward the same things. I've had nothing but great experiences with her."

When DeStefano wrote with Underwood that year (a session that ultimately produced "Good Girl" in 2012), it was also the year he had his first country cut, with the Eli Young Band's "Every Other Memory."

"That song was my first country cut, but more than that, it was a turning point for me," DeStefano said. "Now I'm living here, I found a wife here and Nashville has become such an incredible home for me. I feel like the luckiest man on the planet."

As for his continued diversity within the country genre, DeStefano is all about that life.

"I love it all. I love being able to be energetically and emotionally diverse like that," he said. "Sometimes people want to go out and have a good time, and sometimes it's about digging a little deeper and finding something really meaningful that everyone can relate to, hopefully."

Thanks for posting. Interesting. Everybody Carrie writes with have such great complements for her writing.
    oldyfan, bluetb4, ethelu and 3 others like this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    I think it's true that Carrie has brought out some of the deeper aspects of his writing - sometimes writers do achieve a special quality with a particular collaboration that isn't so evident in their other work. Taking both "Good Girl" and "Something In The Water" as examples, I think a reason for that could be that Carrie is prepared to try unusual (and often very demanding) variations and passages in her music. I think De Stefano probably relates to that in a way that may not be so available to him in less musically adventurous situations.

Concert Stars
    I think also, when you have an instrument in the room like Carries, and you get to hear these different melodic ideas come to life and then she even adds on top of it with vocal ability beyond what the writer might have even imagined. I bet its inspiring!!!
    jaks_weyn, ethelu, bluetb4 and 3 others like this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    This article is great! So happy to see Carrie get some press and praise for her song writing abilities....they are most often brushed under the rug.
    Gator and ethelu like this.

A lil city in the middle of a lil island in the middle of a lil country in the middle of the sea
    Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post
    I think it's true that Carrie has brought out some of the deeper aspects of his writing - sometimes writers do achieve a special quality with a particular collaboration that isn't so evident in their other work. Taking both "Good Girl" and "Something In The Water" as examples, I think a reason for that could be that Carrie is prepared to try unusual (and often very demanding) variations and passages in her music. I think De Stefano probably relates to that in a way that may not be so available to him in less musically adventurous situations.
    That's why I'm looking forward to Little Toy Guns!
    DeStefano + Lindsey + Underwood!
    Carrie's recent works with them are GREAT GREAT! so having the 2 writers with Carrie in a room.. I wonder what kind of magic they will do!

Concert Stars
    love this! so wish she would write more!
    carrieguy2 likes this.

•