Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree68Likes

Thread: Carrie Underwood's 'Something In The Water' Finds Hope In Change

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by mbh View Post
    Romans 8:28 to 8:29 -

"We know that all things work for good for those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

For those He foreknew He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, so that He might be the firstborn among many brothers (brethren)."

While man and woman were originally created in God's image (Genesis1:26 to 1:27) - it is through "BAPTISM" into Christ, "the image of God" (2Corinthians 4:4; Colossians 1:15) - that we are RENEWED according to "the image of the CREATOR" (Colossians 3:10). These verses, Romans 8:28 to 8:29, outline the Christian vocation as it was designed by God: to be conformed to the image of His Son, so that He might be the firstborn among many brothers (brethren). Christ was to be the firstborn among many brothers (brethren). His brothers (brethren) as adopted children of God, who is us, the BELIEVERS, WERE TO BE LIKE CHRIST. All the discipline and training of our lives is with this end in view.

Romans 8:31 to 8:39 - These verses mean - the all-conquering power of God's love has overcome every obstacle to CHRISTIANS' SALVATION and every threat to separate us from God. That power manifested itself fully when GOD'S OWN SON WAS DELIVERED UP TO DEATH FOR "OUR SALVATION". Through Him, Christians CAN OVERCOME ALL OUR "AFFLICTIONS" and "TRIALS".

In "BAPTISM" - the one baptized (NO MATTER HOW UNDESERVING A MAN IS OR WHATEVER SITUATION HE FINDS HIMSELF) is cleansed of particular sin - he is incorporated into Christ and made a member of His Body, the Church. He is infused with sanctifying GRACE (helps one to start a new life in Christ and TRULY live his life, the BAPTISMAL PROMISES) and he receives the theological virtues of FAITH, HOPE and a VIRTUE the he prefers God as the SOVEREIGN GOOD before or else and by which he does "His WILL" and is united with Him, DISPOSES him - to LOVE GOD, to LOVE HIMSELF and to LOVE HIS NEIGHBOR - "FOR THE SAKE OF GOD". He also receives the gifts of the Holy Spirit.
    I have withheld commenting on many posts related to key biblical principles. As I read post like this that misinterprets a passage, sometimes I cannot refrain from commenting.

This interpretation is INCORRECT. James 3:1 gives us a warning if we are teaching Scripture. It reads "Not many of you should become teachers, my fellow believers, because you know that we who teach will be judged more strictly."

Romans 8:28-39 is not about outlining the Christian vocation, this passage is talking about God's good purpose for us (from salvation to glorification) and that with the almighty God for us, we can be more than conquerors.

Your paragraph on "BAPTISM" does not align with the gospel. No mention of sin. No mention of repentance or asking for forgiveness. No mention of baptism into Christ means being associated with Christ and His teaching (i.e. lordship). Your paragraph is similar to "easy believism" which is heresy as it can be damning to those who believe that. TAKE GREAT CARE WHEN SHARING SCRIPTURE! Do your homework and proper exegesis first, and validate with commentaries before sharing.
    cmuf2011 and Smokyiiis like this.

mbh
    Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann055 View Post
    Underwood’s ‘Something In The Water’ Finds Hope In Change

From BILLBOARD COUNTRY UPDATE OCTOBER 16, 2014 | PAGE 2 OF 11

By: Tom Roland

Carrie Underwood gets a little teary when she talks about a transformation - teary enough that she apologizes for the show of emotion.

She certainly knows a thing or two about life-changing moments - there was a historic win on American Idol, a college graduation ceremony and a walk down the aisle with hockey-playing husband Mike Fisher. The memory of those events might indeed make her cry, but in this instance, it’s the recollection of her baptism.

“I was dunked,” she says, laughing initially, “in our tiny little church in Checotah, Oklahoma. It was my idea, I wanted to do that. I had gotten saved, and that was the next step, you know. That was kind of what we had always been taught. But I just remember being so proud that day.”

It’s when she addresses the pride in that public statement about her faith that the tears sneak out for just a second.

“It really was just kind of a wonderful day,” she says, quickly regaining her composure.

Given the power of the memory, it’s appropriate that Underwood invests her powerhouse voice in “Something in the Water,” her new baptism-themed single that’s made an amazingly graceful leap into the public consciousness. Following a Sept. 29 release to radio and digital outlets, it debuted at No. 48 on Billboard’s Hot Country Songs, then leapt to No. 2 in its second week on the sales/streaming/airplay chart, thanks to heavy rotation at radio and 125,000 downloads, a personal record for first-week sales.

“That gave me chills,” says co-writer Chris DeStefano (“Rewind,” “That’s My Kind of Night”), upon hearing of its 46-place jump. “That’s beautiful.”

The single’s speed is appropriate given the quick pace it took from conception to its marketplace debut. Underwood, DeStefano and co-writer Brett James (“I Hold On,” “Jesus, Take the Wheel”) fashioned it in a creative blitz during a May 2 songwriting session at a cabin in Tennessee. There was certainly some homework involved - DeStefano had put together a track that laid out the song’s basic musical format from front to back.

It was unique, to say the least. Instead of hitting a crescendo when it reached the chorus, the production dropped down to a rolling piano for the first two lines. And after the second verse and chorus, it snuck into an unusually lengthy eight-line bridge that’s just similar enough that it sort of masquerades as a third verse.

“He was like, ‘You’re either going to love this or you’re going to hate this,’ ” says Underwood. “And we loved it.”

As is standard practice among songwriters, Underwood keeps a running list of titles, and that list included a familiar phrase she’d heard in a conversation: “There must be something in the water.” She offered that title, along with a conviction that the song should be about baptism, a topic that’s nearly as unusual as the music. Toby Keith referenced that Christian rite in passing during “God Love Her” (“she was baptized in dirty water”), and Brooks & Dunn put it in the chorus of “Brand New Man” (“I’ve been baptized by the fire in your touch”). But it’s likely that there hasn’t been a country hit centered on baptism since before Underwood’s 1983 birth: Johnny Russell reached No. 14 in 1973 with “The Baptism of Jesse Taylor,” and T.G. Sheppard hit No. 1 in 1980 by using the sacrament as a sexual metaphor in “Do You Wanna Go to Heaven.”

“Carrie mentioned that title, and it just felt perfect with the way [the track] sounded,” says DeStefano. “The subject matter, the direction she wanted to take the song in immediately felt like something really special.”

As much as “Water” revolves around a spiritual transformation, the key lyrics — “Now I’m changed/Now I’m stronger,” delivered over that quiet rolling piano in the chorus - could be applied to any life crossroads, broadening the emotional impact of the song.

“We definitely want to write like that,” says Underwood. “You want it to be as relatable as possible and to as many people as possible. I’ve had tons of people over the years - from ‘Jesus, Take the Wheel’ to ‘Temporary Home’ to ‘See You Again’ and now with this one - be like, ‘You know, I’m not really like into the whole organized-religion thing.’ But they like the songs.”

The writers did throw in a little more organized religion. They referenced Hank Williams’ “I Saw the Light,” borrowed the phrase “no turning back” from the hymn “I Have Decided to Follow Jesus” and slid in the title of “Amazing Grace.” As they worked on the demo that day, they took it even further, using “Amazing Grace” as a melodic counterpoint in the final parts of the song.

Producer Mark Bright (Sara Evans, Swon Brothers) was an immediate believer when Underwood played the demo of “Something in the Water.”
    “It sounded fabulous,” he says, “except that every bit of it was programmed. So my job was to humanize that.”

The musicians were so inspired during the tracking session at Reba McEntire’s Starstruck Studios that they nailed it, recalls Bright, on the second take. Drummer Chris McHugh added some humanity by layering tribal toms on top of the basic track, and percussionist Eric Darken supplemented additional sounds, including a hybrid blend of instruments at the start of the first chorus that sounds, intentionally, like a door slamming on the past.

The “Amazing Grace” chorus became epic. DeStefano served as the de facto choir leader, singing with Underwood, James, songwriter Hillary Lindsey (“So Small,” “Blessed”) and gospel-based background vocalists Vicki Hampton and Robert Bailey.

“My manager has a video on her phone of me bouncing in the room because I just couldn’t contain myself,” says Underwood. “We were going to church in the studio.”

Underwood hoped it would be a single down the line, but she was surprised when the label chose to make “Water” the first single from Greatest Hits: Decade #1, due Dec. 9.

“I think she thought we would be afraid of it,” says Sony Music Nashville chairman/CEO Gary Overton.

The label did test the song’s religious content internally, and the promotion department briefly debated whether it would receive any pushback - “That’s their job,” says Underwood - but everyone signed off. Seven seconds were snipped from the intro for the radio edit, and it was embraced at the outset. “Water” is at No. 5 in its third week on Hot Country Songs.

“It’s really nice to have that kind of song going against the current of all the other songs that we are experiencing right now,” observes Bright. “It’s sort of boldly going where nobody has been willing to go in country music for awhile.”

The baptismal theme has certainly been absent from country radio for years, though for Underwood, it’s more a continuation of the commitment to faith she introduced with the release of her transformative first single, “Jesus, Take the Wheel.”

“I feel like from that moment on people kind of understood that that would probably be a part of my music,” she says. “And it has been.”

A HUGE thank you to Windmills for tweeting this amazing article and sharing it with us:

Windmills Country ‏@WindmillsMusic 13m13 minutes ago
    Great read on the making of Carrie Underwood's "Something In The Water" in this wk's Billboard MidWeek Country Update http://t.co/La5dCf75gd
    Our beloved Carrie Underwood sings ...... "I'm CHANGED and now I'm STRONGER ...... There must be something in the water ......"

If you live inside the God's promise, your life is as solid as the rock. Nothing can blow you over inside the walls of God's promise. Outside God's promise - all is confusion and anxiety and fears and doubts or uncertainties.

Once you walk through the door of "LOVE" of God's promise - everything CHANGES - there is that BELIEVER'S FIRM "HOPE". There comes into our life stability and depth and freedom. You simply can not be blown over any more. The confidence that a SOVEREIGN GOD governs for our good - all the pain and all the pleasure that you will ever experience is an absolutely incomparable refuge and security and "HOPE" and "POWER IN OUR LIFE" ...... "FAITH" may come, by hearing Carrie's song "Something In The Water" through the spiritual dynamism of the lyrics of this song and the FORCE and the DIVINITY of Carrie's voice. I long for our "FAITH" to be STRONG and that our confidence in God's promise will grow, and that the "RENEWED" stability and depth and freedom and "HOPE" and "JOY" of our life which BEGINS in this PRESENT LIFE - will continue into "EVERLASTING LIFE".

Thank you so much Carrie Underwood - you are "ONE" of "THE BEST OF THE BEST" in the music industry!!!!
    Smokyiiis and lizcarlo like this.

mbh
    Obsessed Carrie Fan
    I THINK Carrie's song "Something In The Water" WILL BECOME a STANDARD SONG in Christian Churches and Christian Spiritual Retreats.

•  
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12