Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree141Likes

Thread: Country Universe Review of 'Something In The Water'

Junior Carrie Follower

Country Universe Review of 'Something In The Water'

Kevin John Coyne writes:

If anybody’s going to sing a song about the power of the water to cleanse your soul, it should be Carrie Underwood. Her voice and her presence on record are enough to wash country listeners’ ears clean from all the dreck we’re being assaulted with these days.
    Underwood previews her upcoming hits collection by revisiting a theme that she’s explored before, but with a wisdom and maturity that can only come from life experience. “Something in the Water” shifts the transformative experience of “Jesus, Take the Wheel” into the first person, a sign, along with her co-writing credit, of how much more personal ownership she now takes over her work. So as great as that first hit was, it’s the new release that throbs with urgency and intensity, moving the spiritual experience from something philosophical into something viscerally real.
    Look, here’s the deal. Underwood’s been a consistently great singer from day one, and her willingness to challenge herself as an artist and performer has made her music progressively more compelling with each new album. “Something in the Water” is the perfect bookend to the first decade of her career, and I can hardly wait to hear what she does next.

Concert Stars
    An AMAZING review! The praise is absolutely unanimous!

Concert Stars
    Outstanding review! Keep the well deserved praises coming reviewers!

Obsessed Chart Watcher cary78663's Avatar
    I knew Kevin would put up a glowing review as soon as the song came out. As you can tell, he is not a fan of the direction country radio has taken.

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    Preach it brother!! Awesome review!!
    Suellen, mbh, warmconan253 and 4 others like this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Wonderful review

Carrie is really, and has always been in a league of her own.
    Hopefully SITW will help lead country radio back home.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Awesome review! This is my favourite line:

Underwood’s been a consistently great singer from day one, and her willingness to challenge herself as an artist and performer has made her music progressively more compelling with each new album.
    This is so true. Carrie's music is constantly evolving. I love that she isn't afraid of a challenge. I think "Something in the Water" is one of her best singles to date. It is so fresh and different. I love the message in the song. Carrie keeps getting better all the time. She's an incredible artist.
    gwade82, bluetb4, Hil and 7 others like this.

Concert Stars
    A song that can evoke some sort of emotion is worthy of praise. SITW is that kind of song, it moves you and being a spiritual person, it really moved me. A+
    mbh, gwade82, Mirasa45A and 4 others like this.

Concert Stars
    I am so pleased with this. Mostly because it feels like it is genuinely critiquing the music and the writing and Carries own ability to connect with it. It is not, yet another, critique of Carrie as a celebrity and interloper in the country music scene.
    And I agree with the writer whole heartedly that this "feels" real! It feels like it is coming directly from Carries heart and soul. Where JTTW was a story that she told as a new storyteller. This is her, in her life, in her place, and there is Joy there! Joy that comes from some experience about being let down, being bumped around by a world that can be careless. She is and we all are, "packages that are damaged in progress but Still Deliverable"!!

I am so happy for her. I hope that others see the growth in this new song. I sure do. KUS was a clue to me that she was taping into her true self. This feels like a full step forward into who she is and wants to be. How do you detract from that??!

Junior Carrie Follower northtexas's Avatar
    One of the other CU writers had this response to the song:

Ben Foster September 29, 2014 at 9:58 am
    I want to like it. I really, really want to. But I can’t.

That just how I felt until I heard it played on the radio today now I love it so there really must be something in the water.

Concert Stars
    Unfortunately, putting out a message like that does not give any fair indications of what he means by his statement. It is just a negative. So I will just assume he is just a negative until he can be a little more considerate about his opinions. He doesn't have to like it. But be fair, and say why. Don't just act like You can't possibly like it the history of the world cause its just so very.....!
    IF he has something to say, say it!! Cause I wanna like him, I really want to, I just can't!
    Smokyiiis, oldyfan and jaylee50 like this.

Insane Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by pklongbeach View Post
    Unfortunately, putting out a message like that does not give any fair indications of what he means by his statement. It is just a negative. So I will just assume he is just a negative until he can be a little more considerate about his opinions. He doesn't have to like it. But be fair, and say why. Don't just act like You can't possibly like it the history of the world cause its just so very.....!
    IF he has something to say, say it!! Cause I wanna like him, I really want to, I just can't!
    He usually likes Carrie's songs so maybe he will respond later on why he doesn't like it. Not everyone is going to like and that is okay. I am just amazed that pretty much all of us on the board like it! That must be a first! lol
    oldyfan likes this.

Insane Carrie Fan Carrieroxmysox2011's Avatar
    LOVE LOVE this review.
    oldyfan likes this.

Concert Stars
    I agree that songs like this can be polarizing, especially to people who may really like Carrie but do not appreciate faith based concepts being sung to them. We have to remember there are a lot of people out there who truly believe the church does more harm than good, and are offended by having faith based songs pushed on them. And when you have an artist as big as carrie underwood it can feel that way cause she is in fact using her celebrity and career as a platform for promoting her beliefs. And people are going to respond to that. That is why it is so compelling to me that she continues to do it. Even in the face of 10 years of people having a problem with it, she continues to follow her heart. So yes, not everyone is going to like it. As a matter of fact, there has to be an understanding that many people are going to have a real problem with it. And that's going to be ok with me, as long as they express themselves intelligently about the music and the artist. I have no problem with it.
    pgk, HuiZ and oldyfan like this.

Concert Stars
    freaking amazing review...grade A of course...this is just amazing!
    bluetb4 and oldyfan like this.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by pklongbeach View Post
    I just think that was his witty way saying he really loves the song. All that matters is that he is a believer and loves!
    jaylee50 and gwade82 like this.

Concert Stars
    K99 in Corpus Christi is playing SITW every hour with Carrie introducing it.
    PRGuy79, jaylee50, gwade82 and 2 others like this.

Carrie Guru
    “Something in the Water” is the perfect bookend to the first decade of her career, and I can hardly wait to hear what she does next.

I like this sentence -- both are about her faith ("Jesus, Take The Wheel" and "Something In the Water").

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by northtexas View Post

That just how I felt until I heard it played on the radio today now I love it so there really must be something in the water.
    Wait a minute....wasn't this his way of putting himself down? To say he wanted to like it...but can't, until he heard it...? He's ridiculing himself, right?

Hil
    Quote Originally Posted by northtexas View Post

Sounds very schizophrenic, no idea what he's saying. He's like having a convo with himself lol I do that sometimes, so I'm not bashing him...it's like he knows what he's saying, but it didn't come out well lol

•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast