• 7 Post By Claire2004
  • 8 Post By maddkat
  • 2 Post By rainbow1
  • 5 Post By Carrieflattsfan
  • 1 Post By kewlie78189
  • 1 Post By lizcarlo
  • 2 Post By rainbow1
  • 2 Post By lizcarlo

Thread: CU10 Flashback: Carrie Underwood, Shania Twain and Gender in Country Music

CU10 Flashback: Carrie Underwood, Shania Twain and Gender in Country Music

CU10 Flashback: Carrie Underwood, Shania Twain, and Gender in Country Music

In 2008, I was finishing up my degree in journalism and trying to understand what it meant to be a professional writer. I wanted to write about music, but the divide between fan and critic felt, at times, insurmountable.

That fall, I stumbled onto Country Universe through this post, and it changed my perspective. As both a writer and leader, Kevin was thoughtful, rational and personally invested in the country music genre. He showed a deep respect for the genreís history, but wrote about new artists with tolerance and curiosity. Best of all, he held readers and writers alike to the highest standards of decency.

Itís for that reason that this post shines. Kevinís ability to take a stand while cultivating constructive dialogue is unmatched. He cut through the divisive hype around Carrie Underwood Ėan artist who is as special to me now as she was back thenóand underlined the real issue at hand: country musicís staggering, frustrating gender bias. Six years and a truckload of interchangeable male artists later, itís more imperative than ever that we continue this discussion. Ė Tara Seetharam

Discussion: Carrie Underwood, Shania Twain and Gender in Country Music

by Kevin John Coyne

August 29, 2008

I fear this post wonít quite live up to its ambitious title, and I realize that Iím stirring the tempest pot a bit by putting those two artists in the same sentence. But the tone that surfaces whenever Carrie Underwood is discussed here is something that I find increasingly frustrating, so Iím going to talk about it. Hopefully, Iíll get a meaningful conversation going along the way.

Full article at: CU10 Flashback: Carrie Underwood, Shania Twain and Gender in Country Music | Country Universe

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    interesting read
    6 years later and it's almost still the exactly same - women still can't get played on radio and Carrie still takes flack as a TV product not worthy.Only real difference is Miranda's voice now has joined Carrie's on radio

PS. I really like Eric North's comment

Concert Stars
    I'm glad Tara brought it up again! Hope more people read it!! Same song, second verse....but it needs to be discussed.
    liz278 and opry051008 like this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    This is a great article, and it addresses a lot of the criticisms aimed at Carrie, and the defenses used by her fans.

The fanwar attitude gets old after awhile, so it's nice to see somebody coming to Carrie's defense.

Like it or not, Carrie's success is her own, and the excuses used to tear her down are tired ones that have all been used before.

It's sad to see the kind of catty, competition attitude that goes on among fans of these ladies, because what they really need is support. If fans spent as much time bickering as they did supporting females, maybe Country radio would FINALLY get the message that females are welcomed/wanted in this industry.
    All that said, I feel like Carrie is an artist with mass appeal, both musically and personally, and a lot of people seem to overlook that and assume Carrie was one of the few "lucky ones."
    Sure, she was lucky, but she built the right team and played up her strengths as an artist. She made a memorable impression from the start, and her talent and personality connected with people and they WANTED to support her. She didn't just throw an album together to hope it would stick. She knew what she wanted, stuck to her guns as an artist, and didn't simply rest on her laurels once she found sons success. People connected to Carrie, and she used that to push herself and build a career, instead of assuming she could phone it in once she found success. That's what sets her apart, and I think it will continue to.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    txacar, rainbow1, rainbow1 and 2 others like this.

Concert Stars
    I still say alot of the fan-wars are staged by the media.

IF there were alot of successful female artists just like male artists, there would not be nearly the agressive defense towards the few that are most popular.
    Also, most rivalries and feuds are actually started in the media and fans just get involved as a reactionary position. The fans don't ignite these petty arguments.
    Finally; the media tells you what is popular and what is not so that creates a divide between what people on the street actually percieve vrs. what the media is telling them. So it develops into debate. This does not happen with male artists. When was the last time you saw a story in the media about two male singers going at eachother. Its very rare. And when it does happen; ZBB vrs. Luke; the debate and discussion is just as big as with females.

The difference is that there are many more about women cause the media knows that women have more of a tendancy to tear eachother down then men do. So you see more stories pitting women against eachother and fans react.

Rarely is the story about fans on the street fighting with eachother for no reason.

Concert Stars
    I hate that they say she is only famous because of AI and gets flack about it...it's so annoying!
    teesharky likes this.

CFlashback Carrie Underwood, Shania Twain ect.

I still say alot of the fan-wars are staged by the media.
    There is no better example of this than Carrie and Taylor. I don't believe for second they hate each other like the media loves to portray. They might not be really good friend but that doesn't equal hate. I'm pretty sure on ATRL, I saw where someone posted Carrie thanking Taylor on twitter for her kinds words or something similar. It wasn't all that long ago either. These "feuds" media like to portray as truth is nothing more than them wanting stories to sell.

Just as a side note, although I’m not much of a fan of Carrie’s, I give considerable props to her for singing in Linda’s place at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony in April and doing Linda’s career-making 1967 folk-rock classic “Different Drum”. That was an above-and-beyond performance (IMHO).
    This is what I mean by Carrie getting someone respect even if they are not fans. They acknowledge her exceptional talent which is her beautiful vocals. Different Drum is one of my favorite performances about her as well.

I wish women in the different styles of country music cold be represented on radio.

I have learned to laugh at people who use Idol as a way to say that's why Carrie has her career and not her hard work. I laugh because there are very few artists who have came off of not just idol, but other singers off of singing shows in general, do not have Carrie success. Its becuase of her being talented, loyal to country, hard work, connecting to the public, always learning and taking something from her experiences and is classy women. Carrie speaks her mind on important issues. She is good at knowing what to pick to express her opinion on and doesn't put her foot in her mouth. Thats not an eays thing to do.
    teesharky likes this.

Concert Stars
    Taylor gave Carrie a hug when she came off the stage crying, after her performance of SYA , at the CMT awards that year. She was still upset about the OK City tornado. I think that's when Carrie thanked her.
    Suellen and opry051008 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by rainbow1 View Post
    Taylor gave Carrie a hug when she came off the stage crying, after her performance of SYA , at the CMT awards that year. She was still upset about the OK City tornado. I think that's when Carrie thanked her.
    I know the performance was emotional for her, but I had no idea Carrie was crying after that performance and Taylor hugged her. That's very sweet of Taylor.
    rainbow1 and Suellen like this.

•